FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

DR talked of all three dying and I think had he followed through with shooting himself, I think he would have killed the baby too.

(DR tells the 911 operator he loaded the gun and it's on the coach, ready to shoot. When he agrees he's going to surrender to police, he asks the operator if he should first unload /remove the clip from the weapon).
Moo..he does seem very removed emotionally from his actions. He asks questions re the gun...so I can entertain the idea that he was told what to do..and he accepted that advice...moo

I don't accept the popular social media angle that an adult in the home set him up. Quite the opposite -- I think DR most likely confided about his dark feeling and desires to a faceless, internet acquaintance. He was confident enough in this person that he contacted them before he called 911.

By all accounts, DR has a good, supportive, relationship with is father and his maternal grandmother, and even his step-dad. I recall his step-dad was calling both his and his mother's phone while he was talking to the 911 operator. In fact, the only concern DR seemed to have was what was going to happen to his step-dad when he came home from GA, and whether or not he would be able to enter the apartment.

No concern for his motherless baby sister or his grandmother after he murdered his mom, her daughter. o_O

Listening to the detective who attended the victim's autopsy testify during the 2-day hearing was the best wake up call for me. DR's attack was premeditated, forceful, violent, fearless, and fatal. No question in my mind that DR wanted her dead-- and DR had no intention for her to survive. MOO
Agree with your points above.

And if there was an adult putting him up to this, he wouldn't have needed to google what kind of knife, and where to stab someone. If he was being directed those things would have been explained to him without googling. JMO

Moo..he does seem very removed emotionally from his actions. He asks questions re the gun...so I can entertain the idea that he was told what to do..and he accepted that advice...moo
It's kind of baffling, imo.

He does sound detached and emotionally removed. And yet, he had a loaded gun on the couch, ready for use--and he didnt use it.

He could have just shot Mom, quick and easy. But he chose to stab her repeatedly instead of a quick head shot.

That makes me think he wasn't so detached. That makes me think he wanted to experience that violence. Was it anger or some other kind of a payoff for him to be able to commit such an intense crime?

IDK but it is kind of revealing, imo.

It's kind of baffling, imo.

He does sound detached and emotionally removed. And yet, he had a loaded gun on the couch, ready for use--and he didnt use it.

He could have just shot Mom, quick and easy. But he chose to stab her repeatedly instead of a quick head shot.

That makes me think he wasn't so detached. That makes me think he wanted to experience that violence. Was it anger or some other kind of a payoff for him to be able to commit such an intense crime?

IDK but it is kind of revealing, imo.
Maybe. I thought the same as you a few days ago. And then I watched that documentary on the Slenderman case last night and saw M taking about stabbing her best friend of four years, P, and saying unemotionally, 'It was like nothing, like... air.' While miming a stabbing motion for the detective. She didn't hate her friend. According to her mother at the time of the documentary, she still talked about P as though they were friends after the attack. But her killing was 'necessary' according to her mental illness and shared delusion with A, so she did it. (Through sheer luck, P survived.) I think there may be some ball of Oedipal rage that Freudians will be all frothed up about at the heart of this, but I think there's an equal chance that a) he's a sociopath and just wanted to kill his mother to see what it felt like, or b) some mental illness, either transitory or permanent, has been the catalyst.

MOO

I don't accept the popular social media angle that an adult in the home set him up. Quite the opposite -- I think DR most likely confided about his dark feeling and desires to a faceless, internet acquaintance. He was confident enough in this person that he contacted them before he called 911.

By all accounts, DR has a good, supportive, relationship with is father and his maternal grandmother, and even his step-dad. I recall his step-dad was calling both his and his mother's phone while he was talking to the 911 operator. In fact, the only concern DR seemed to have was what was going to happen to his step-dad when he came home from GA, and whether or not he would be able to enter the apartment.

No concern for his motherless baby sister or his grandmother after he murdered his mom, her daughter. o_O

Listening to the detective who attended the victim's autopsy testify during the 2-day hearing was the best wake up call for me. DR's attack was premeditated, forceful, violent, fearless, and fatal. No question in my mind that DR wanted her dead-- and DR had no intention for her to survive. MOO
Re bolded, I agree, I don’t subscribe to that theory either. I was more thinking along the lines of the family dynamics and the relationship between DR and the adults who played a significant role in his life.
Also, Did he feel neglected? Was he left alone a lot? How much was his father involved in his life?
Was he spending all of his free time on the internet with God knows what kind of people? I’m also very interested in this internet friend of his.
ETA : and like several others have brought up, I think DR could have mental health issues that have just begun to surface.
A lot of questions and the rest all purely speculative.

Last edited:
You may find it interesting to read about Silje, a 5-year-old girl who was murdered by two 6-year-olds in Trondheim in Norway. Norway handles these things very differently from the rest of the world.

However you can't compare 6-year-old murderers and 13-year-old murderers. They are at much different stages of mental development.

The article above shows older ladies…. Not similar to Bundy. I would almost prefer that to be the case. This bothers me more as it doesn’t make any sense to me
Older ladies? I was not expecting that; maybe it is because they made justifications, aka excuses/cover-ups for the 'kids' in their day. JMO

O.M.G. They believe it wasn’t DR on camera. A “heavy set” figure? These people must be on something!

“In the 911 phone call there is a second voice heard behind Derek's voice, the picture taken by the baby monitor or camera in the room shows a heavy set figure hovering on top of Irina ( Derek's Mother) Supposedly this is Derek, No that's not the young man's body or weight, The Step Father has to be investigated too, He had a life insurance to gain if Irina was Unalived..”
IMO it's a clear cut example of denial, it's sad really.

Lots of letters submitted but none available to the public.
^^rsbm

I noticed the case file was recently marked ** This case is not eligible to be paid online. For more information, please contact the Clerk's Office at (305) 275-1155 **

With no image view access, I believe the defense would rather the public not have instant access to the case documents and requiring all requests made through the custodian of the records.

I don't follow many juvenile cases-- perhaps this is unique to DR and his age. What do you think @PayrollNerd ?

He committed cold blooded murder of his mother. He should be tried as an adult, IMO. Serve his time in juvenile facility until he reaches adulthood, then transferred to an adult prison. Maybe he will become an asset to society while in prison and will be released in ten years time. Maybe not. His character will be challenged while incarcerated. It will be up to him to redeem himself.

I mean, I understand that he is 13 and brain not fully developed, but to me googling things like:

"The carotid artery diagram."
“What is the best place to stab someone?”
“Is a small knife good for killing?”
“Is it easier to kill someone with a small knife?”
“Can a knife cut through bone?”

The last search was to inquire about a machine gun.
Detectives also said Rosa told police in a confession that he called his mother “maricona,” a gay slur in Spanish, just before he stabbed her.

And then stabbing your mom 46 times, not once or twice. 46 times. Then taking and sending pictures to your online friend? I just struggle to see how even a younger child, 8 or 9 could stab someone 46 times and not realize that was wrong at the time in some way unless and I am trying to be nice about this, but sometimes I do think people are born different and those differences are what cause crimes like this to happen. Can someone who thinks like this be rehabilitated at any age? I hope so, but....

In a perfect world, juveniles would only be guilty of juvenile delinquency, stealing, smoking, underage drinking, and have no idea of ever committing capital offenses and/or the most serious, violent felonies.

Listening to the detective who attended the victim's autopsy in this case testify, it changed everything for me.

I would be afraid for the safety and welfare of the other juveniles in the detention center to be housed with the same defendant that studied where exactly to stab his mother to cause her death, and what size of knife to use. The blunt force DR used to inflict more than 40 stab wounds was noted in the condition of the knife blade. I believe the victim never had a chance.

And especially if the rage that came over DR (or any other minor child) was caused by a medical or psychological impairment, I think both treated and/or untreated children should be housed separately from adult inmates to prevent a child from having regular contact with incarcerated inmates. However, just the same, I can see DR being dangerous to grown men. I've previously opined the subject is not easy nor is it something that can simply be age-bracketed JMO

^^rsbm

I noticed the case file was recently marked ** This case is not eligible to be paid online. For more information, please contact the Clerk's Office at (305) 275-1155 **

With no image view access, I believe the defense would rather the public not have instant access to the case documents and requiring all requests made through the custodian of the records.

I don't follow many juvenile cases-- perhaps this is unique to DR and his age. What do you think @PayrollNerd ?
I agree. There's many obvious reasons to have an unofficial "gag order" without actually having one. If one was so inclined, they could request documents under FL law. But would it be appropriate to share them on WS? I think that's an ethical question and a moderator's decision. A fair trial is what he is owed and swaying the "court of public opinion" would not be wise. JMO

There's family support, regardless of whether they believe he's innocent, or capable of redemption. The sheer fact that he's 13 is controversial. I think the facts will stand for themselves. Violent manner of death, quantity of knife wounds, admission of plan or premeditation, unaltered video, online friend who could be a possible influence, etc.

Compare all that with other FL juvenile murders and, in my opinion, this boy has no conscience. I believe the "trauma & drama" of a new baby triggered something in him. Perhaps he was born that way and it was the perfect storm of circumstances. Perhaps there are mitigating factors based on how he was raised. Regardless, FL law is all we have to rely on for punishment. I believe he will be in prison for a long time. I am not confident it will be LWOP. I believe the stepfathers testimony will be crucial.

I follow mostly FL cases because I've lived in a number of places in the state. Many of the cases do involve juvenile crime, some horrific murders. Comparatively, Aiden Fucci, 14 years old, stabbed Trystyn Bailey 114 times. That is next level rage, much like this boy.

I just struggle to see how even a younger child, 8 or 9 could stab someone 46 times and not realize that was wrong at the time
I don't think that he did not understand it's wrong. But I am not sure he understand how wrong and why.

I am thinking of all the times as a teen when I did something something my mom did not want me to do and then lied to her about it - because I knew it was wrong to do it. But I did not understand why it was wrong (or I would not have done it). Mostly it was stuff that could have had permanent bad outcome that was not worth the risk. But afaik, many, many teens actually "think" about killing their parents - and if they don't really fully understand a) death (I don't think anyone does before they actually lose a loved one) and b) all the outcomes this will cause, combined with c) teenage poor impulse control... It gets very murky even before you add potential mental illness or complicated family history (to me, killing your abuser and killing to abuse are two very different things, even if they are both a murder in the book).

All this waffle to say: I think he did understand that it was wrong and I do think that he has to be punished.
But also that he is obviously not an adult (even if visually the racial bias makes me feel like he is older than he is).
I am just not sure that, say, locking a 13 year away for life is a good option. And for now (without further information about him), I do believe that it is possible to rehabilitate someone who committed an emotional murder at the age of 13. In a way, killing your mother because you see her as guilty of something, is more "rehabilitatable" than torturing animals because you, ermh, like it.

All MOO and general - I don't have nearly enough information to have specific feelings about the appropriate punishment of DR.

Well, locking a 13-year-old away for life may not be a good option for him, but it may be the best option for the general public. This was an absolutely horrific attack, and IMO I really doubt if he can be reformed. I'm afraid I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Bryan Kohberger. But - I'll wait and see if any mitigating circumstances are revealed.

Just to add - I don't want to see him punished necessarily, but IMO it would be a huge risk to ever let him go free.

Well, locking a 13-year-old away for life may not be a good option for him, but it may be the best option for the general public. This was an absolutely horrific attack, and IMO I really doubt if he can be reformed. I'm afraid I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Bryan Kohberger. But - I'll wait and see if any mitigating circumstances are revealed.

Just to add - I don't want to see him punished necessarily, but IMO it would be a huge risk to ever let him go free.
IMO, DR is one of the lucky ones. He has a lot of family support that can also advocate for him in the prison system, and State laws do protect him from being locked up for life (13 when he committed the crime) even though he's being tried as an adult. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back