FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

Well, locking a 13-year-old away for life may not be a good option for him, but it may be the best option for the general public. This was an absolutely horrific attack, and IMO I really doubt if he can be reformed. I'm afraid I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Bryan Kohberger. But - I'll wait and see if any mitigating circumstances are revealed.

Just to add - I don't want to see him punished necessarily, but IMO it would be a huge risk to ever let him go free.
If he could plan the brutal death of his mother, and go through with it, then call a friend to brag about it---what prevents him from doing other brutal actions?

I don't have much faith in prison rehabilitation programs for violent offenders. I think rehab can be successful for alcohol/drug problems, burglary/shoplifting, and those kinds of crimes.

But the kind of brutal violence that allows a son to stab his loving mother 48 times---that is very hard to rehabilitate. IMO

I am 47 and was diagnosed with ADHD just 18 months ago. I have three children with ADHD, and we all have an issue with some 'simple' tasks. <modsnip>

ASD comes in so many different forms in many different people, but they don't kill other people.
It is not an excuse, more just one contribution to many factors.
JMO. MOO.
Bbm.
Agreed.
Your past explains you, but it doesn't excuse you.

Can't find much about this murderers' disabilities or even if he had any ?

My guess is that his defense team will push for DR to have some sort of mental complications -- whether they're true or not !
Omo.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wonder if the reason he doesn't say why he did it is because he doesn't know, or more that he doesn't know how to explain. As in there wasn't a reason per se, more just a drive, or an urge but he doesn't know why or where it came from?.

I'm not really making much sense but what I'm trying to say is maybe the answer is "I just did", which is obviously chilling but he doesn't seem to recognise emotion in the way that most people do, so maybe something curious sparked in his brain and he followed it through like some kind of weird experiment.

I mean how would you explain that? He maybe thought it was better to offer no motive than to admit there wasn't one?.

Maybe there is explanation to the story, or perhaps, there is none for today.

Our society is way more accepting of suicide than homicide, there is a help line, but can we always explain why humans experience suicidal thoughts? Surely, not. Many people would admit that they have experienced them, but to explain the process of thinking leading to it? Impossible. To add, birds commit suicide, and birds don't even have the cortex to talk of - so it is the instinct, some imbalance of neurotransmitters, receptors, g-proteins, what not. If we dont know that much about suicide, think how little we know about homicide, and he has both...

I can see that he suffers from alexithymia and at least one obvious condition, perhaps rendering him "deaf" to own emotions, but I am not sure that even if he had a better ability to put them into words, it would help us understand. Some unfortunate genetic combination, sadly.

Question is, what to do with him. He is a young 13-year old, a loner, blind to own emotions, not having, or not yet having developed, inner moral compass. To keep him outside would be dangerous, to institutionalize meaning, the connection with own emotions would never develop.

Maybe collect several kids like this and put them into some therapeutic facility and start actively working at the program to develop "words for emotions"? Computerized, as they all use computers nowadays. Not to lock up and throw away the key, but at least to try help him, and many others? There is a pressing need to deal with it.

I wonder if the reason he doesn't say why he did it is because he doesn't know, or more that he doesn't know how to explain. As in there wasn't a reason per se, more just a drive, or an urge but he doesn't know why or where it came from?.

I'm not really making much sense but what I'm trying to say is maybe the answer is "I just did", which is obviously chilling but he doesn't seem to recognise emotion in the way that most people do, so maybe something curious sparked in his brain and he followed it through like some kind of weird experiment.

I mean how would you explain that? He maybe thought it was better to offer no motive than to admit there wasn't one?.
Except I believe DR first confessed to the 911 operator (response redacted). The difference here is DR was being interviewed by LE under Miranda, and his words could be used against him in court. Smart kid...

I kind of hate to say it, but with this case I can’t help but think of the movie “Psycho” and Norman Bates.

State prosecutors on Wednesday released four short video clips that show the moments before and after Derek Rosa allegedly killed his mother, Irina Garcia, 39, as she was sleeping in front of the infant in their Hialeah apartment on Oct. 12.

He said his baby sister was sleeping in her crib. Asked whether he harmed her, he replied: “I did not touch her. I didn’t want to touch my sister.”

The dispatcher asked him why he killed his mother, but his response was redacted. At one point, dispatch said, “You stabbed her neck? Where else did you stab her besides cutting her neck?” and his response once again was redacted.

State prosecutors on Wednesday released four short video clips that show the moments before and after Derek Rosa allegedly killed his mother, Irina Garcia, 39, as she was sleeping in front of the infant in their Hialeah apartment on Oct. 12.

He said his baby sister was sleeping in her crib. Asked whether he harmed her, he replied: “I did not touch her. I didn’t want to touch my sister.”

The dispatcher asked him why he killed his mother, but his response was redacted. At one point, dispatch said, “You stabbed her neck? Where else did you stab her besides cutting her neck?” and his response once again was redacted.
Bbm.
So up close and personal. :mad:
Feels deliberate, and not like he just snapped !

Eta : His own mother ... who probably loved him the most ?
At such a young age -- he must be dead inside.
Omo.

Last edited:

Can someone explain to me in what context the statements are redacted?
Does it mean redacted for public viewing or redacted from evidence? Can it be redacted from evidence?
I'm still learning the entire meanings of some terms

Can someone explain to me in what context the statements are redacted?
Does it mean redacted for public viewing or redacted from evidence? Can it be redacted from evidence?
I'm still learning the entire meanings of some terms
I think it is just censored from public viewing.

Its admission into trial evidence will be decided by the court later on, imo.

13-2023-CF-021321-0001-XX
ROSA, DEREK
DOB 08/26/2010

There are no scheduled hearings but in the docket it states 2/20/24 @ 9am.

View attachment 484463

I think 2/20 date was the continuance for the second motion to compel discovery which I believe goes back to the subpoenas for jail witnesses (and jail records) -- hearing on 2/26. Ultimately, I think defense is still trying to prove DR should be held elsewhere. JMO

I think 2/20 date was the continuance for the second motion to compel discovery which I believe goes back to the subpoenas for jail witnesses (and jail records) -- hearing on 2/26. Ultimately, I think defense is still trying to prove DR should be held elsewhere. JMO
That is what I suspect too. They're going to push the age & facility factors until they can't.

2/20/24

Another status hearing was held Tuesday for the 13-year-old who confessed to stabbing his mother to death inside their Hialeah apartment last year.

Last Thursday Derek Rosa sat in a brown prison jumpsuit during the hearing, where his attorneys said they're not ready to head to trial, claiming they still need evidence from the state attorney's office.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, said they're ready for trial. The judge said the defense could make their case for more time at Tuesday's hearing.

The judge set a new status hearing date for April 17.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back