Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

As you day, could be a legacy of the family system, but it also occurs to me, abusive relationships are sometimes associated with isolating the victim from family and past friends.

I'm not implying that's the case here. I know of a couple of people who kept their beloved dead pet in a freezer.

JMO

Isolating an elderly person from their family for the purpose of taking advantage of them is not uncommon these days. The abuser usually tries to limit or cut off communication between the elderly person and their relatives, then progresses to taking over their finances, etc. Fortunately, many states now have laws against this type of elder abuse.

ALLIED GARDENS
WATCH: Shocking sight at Allied Gardens home where body was found in freezer
The body of a woman, last seen nine years ago, was found in a freezer in December by visiting relatives
By Eric S. Page • Published 33 mins ago • Updated 28 mins ago

1705018676547.png

1705018799572.png

ALLIED GARDENS
The body of a woman, last seen nine years ago, was found in a freezer in December by visiting relatives

View attachment 473951

View attachment 473952

OMG!
Dark, sick, humor.

OMG!
Dark, sick, humor.
It is all of that, and should be considered illegal. For one, that freezer is blocking part of the sidewalk. Plus, it's across from a school, and children could get hurt. We can't just dump large appliances like that. It's also just basically a disgusting joke, I guess, and perhaps a ploy for attention. Disrespectful. All MOO

It is all of that, and should be considered illegal. For one, that freezer is blocking part of the sidewalk. Plus, it's across from a school, and children could get hurt. We can't just dump large appliances like that. It's also just basically a disgusting joke, I guess, and perhaps a ploy for attention. Disrespectful. All MOO
Some people clearly have too much time on their hands…

Amateur opinion and speculation

There's police tape still up around the house in the photo? I actually don't think this was some individual with time on their hands. It seems like it was done as news worthy. Well, JMO.

MOO, it really doesn't seem necessary to go through all Mary's family tree. We need definite answers. These questions have to be answered from an official source.
  • What was the COD?
  • Was it a Homicide? There has been no announcements as to whether the COD has been determined.
  • Did Mary die from foul play?
  • Who was living there all this time with a body in the freezer? (the man neighbors describe?)
  • How did Mary's body get into the freezer?
  • Who was possibly, most likely, using / receiving Mary's Social Security and Retirement benefits. If she was Military, wouldn't she get those benefits too.
1705086616211.png

ALLIED GARDENS

View attachment 473951

View attachment 473952

This could be a sick joke; however, it could, also, just be a neighbor trying to get rid of an unwanted appliance. Also, I don't believe it is on the sidewalk but the right of way. I had to get rid of an old nonworking refrigerator a few years ago. This is exactly what the city told me to do when I called them. Scrapers could by and take them usually within 24 hours. The only problem I see here is that that the door isn't secured. For safety reasons, it should either be laying on the door or have a strong strap keeping the door closed so children can't get in it.
1705108429875.png

This could be a sick joke; however, it could, also, just be a neighbor trying to get rid of an unwanted appliance. Also, I don't believe it is on the sidewalk but the right of way. I had to get rid of an old nonworking refrigerator a few years ago. This is exactly what the city told me to do when I called them. Scrapers could by and take them usually within 24 hours. The only problem I see here is that that the door isn't secured. For safety reasons, it should either be laying on the door or have a strong strap keeping the door closed so children can't get in it.
View attachment 474198

The article notes that the fridge is "locking" so perhaps it's been locked shut.

I don't think it's a neighbor. They would most likely put the fridge in front of their own home, not drag it all the way down and place it directly in front of the crime scene tape. I think it was done as a "joke". It does occur to me that the San Diego State campus is just 10 minutes away from the house. This could very well be a fraternity prank.

I do respect and enjoy everyone's posts on this thread. Some are really thought provoking posts.

MOO, it sure looks like it's blocking some of the sidewalk, and children on bikes or whomever could get hurt, and I imagine they might even sue the city if they did get hurt. Hmm... Do scrapers want freezers? Would someone take a locked freezer not knowing what's inside it? Want to know if the freezer is still there, and I'm too lazy to drive over there to check. Anybody in the neighborhood?

JMO, college kids are often from out-of-town and few own freezers, so I'm not sure they'd have one handy to haul around as a prank.

1705110350237.png

"The cause of death is still pending, so, yes, it’s too soon to say if it was or wasn’t a homicide," SDPD Lt. Jud Campbell said last week.

Last edited:
It's a local paper and behind a pay wall for me. (That newspaper went through big changes, and I believe got rid of their regular reporters at one time.) Won't let me see their articles anymore. They want my money. @TootsieFootsie, is there new info? If so, can you post a bit of the new article here. Or is it a repeat of this news article?

It's a local paper and behind a pay wall for me. (That newspaper went through big changes, and I believe got rid of their regular reporters at one time.) Won't let me see their articles anymore. They want my money. @TootsieFootsie, is there new info? If so, can you post a bit of the new article here. Or is it a repeat of this news article?

No, nothing new.

Jmo

Yes, sorry about the paywall part. For some reason I was able to read it.

The parts that stood out to me were that the police had been called out many times over the years.
Also that Mary had bought the house as a single woman.
There was nothing about being given the house.

It also says that she was married.

There's a lot more there that I hadn't read before but I'm not good at paraphrasing.

Last edited:

It's said that she had gone years without talking to relatives.

I wish I could get that nuanced. Prior to nine years ago, was she already estranged? That might explain how nine more years passed with no one raising any alarms. They would've thought she was just keeping to herself.

Or was it the actual nine years of no contact that led family to believe she wasn't talking to them when, in fact, she wasn't talking because she was in cold storage?

Too often we hear about house clean outs, hoarders abound, where the inevitable deceased newborn is found in a box or suitcase. Seems people do what they do, hide the boxes and then what? Forget? Maybe get too feeble to rehide it? To forgetful to realize it'll be found? Is that what this is? Somebody died her or she died naturally and they were accustomed to her SS payments so.... they kept them coming. No one any the wiser. Her family isn't looking for her. The home occupants relatives aren't looking for her. Maybe they never knew her, maybe they thought she was estranged...

Till they open the freezer....

JMO

There was something about possibly owning another house with her husband, which she later signed her interest in to him.
In 2015 when they think she was last seen, they got in trouble with I forget what you call it there, tax department and a lien was put on the Zion street house which was later settled.

Yes, sorry about the paywall part. For some reason I was able to read it.

The parts that stood out to me were that the police had been called out many times over the years.
Also that Mary had bought the house as a single woman.
There was nothing about being given the house.
She was a married woman.

There's a lot more there that I hadn't read before but I'm not good at paraphrasing.

The part I found interesting is that one of the almost-20 times the police have been called to the house was for an overdose in 2014 (not far away from the time Mary is thought to have disappeared, is what I thought).

Some calls to the house were welfare checks - two about possible mental health situations, two about potential elder abuse (the elder abuse calls were in 2014 and 2019 - with Mary potentially being deceased/missing by 2019).

There was something about possibly owning another house with her husband, which she later signed her interest in to him.
In 2015 when they think she was last seen, they got in trouble with I forget what you call it there, tax department and a lien was put on the Zion street house which was later settled.

The $13,000 lien on the house was settled right around the time Mary is thought to have gone missing.

Also, mail for Mary's husband is still being delivered to the house.

And Mary jointly owned a house with her husband in Clairemont, but relinquished her part of ownership in 2002.

Thanks South!
You're better than this than I am :)

Haha .. not at all Tootsie. :)

But I was really interested in looking at the dates surrounding Mary's disappearance/death.

A potential overdose reported.
Police called to the home for potential elder abuse.

$13,000 lien on Mary's home settled (my question: was this the last time Mary was seen, and that is where the "nine years" comes from?)

Police called to the home for potential elder abuse.

Mail for Mary's husband still being delivered to the house.

What we now know about the almost-20 police calls that happened between 2013-2020.
5 calls were to check on someone's welfare - no dates given
2 about mental health situations - no dates given
2 about potential elder abuse - 2014 & 2019

Last edited:

Wow!
"San Diego officers weren’t strangers to the Zion Avenue home, according to police service call records. Since 2013, police have been called to the house nearly 20 times. Five of the calls — placed between 2013 and 2020 — requested that officers check on someone’s welfare, although no such call directly preceded the December discovery. There were two calls related to a possible mental health situation, and two calls about potential elder abuse — one from 2019 and the other from 2014.

An overdose was also reported at the house in 2014."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back