Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones worked as a nurse anesthetist in San Diego for nearly two decades before resigning in 1999. “Mary Margaret will be remembered as a dedicated healthcare professional and will be greatly missed by all of us at Kaiser Permanente that had the privilege to work alongside her.” Haxby-Jones worked at the Zion Medical Center from 1980 until 1999, according to a Kaiser Permanente spokesperson. A relative of Haxby-Jones by marriage, who asked not to be identified due to the ongoing investigation, said she doesn’t believe the woman had any blood relatives and noted that the family “is estranged.” Although the relative hadn’t seen Haxby-Jones since 1995, she described her as someone who smiled often and loved to get her nails and hair done. Haxby-Jones and her husband also rescued exotic birds, she recalled. She added that Haxby-Jones is a military veteran. Google Street View images of the home where records show Haxby-Jones lived show a car with a sticker reading “U.S. Army Retired.”
Thank You for posting so many details about Mary. Can you post the link to the article please?
"Those visitors are related to a current resident of the home, not to Haxby-Jones, according to Campbell."

I do thank you, @Izzylizzy for posting the news article link I asked for. :) Lots of details about Mary in that article that @FansBlowing initially posted.

It does say that, but if the out of towners weren't "officially" related to Mary, I'd still want to know if they ever knew her. The out of towners apparently knew the person currently living in the house. We're just getting limited info right now, and not all of it is fact yet.

There's so much more to this story, there's no way to get to the truth until we hear the actual conclusions of the investigation.
  • Who was living in the house?
  • What was their relationship with Mary?
  • What's that person's explanation? Mental state now?
  • How did Mary die, and her COD?
  • Who put Mary in the freezer and WHY?
  • Who has been collecting her Social Security and Retirement Benefits all these years?
  • Is this to be considered a Homicide and will anyone be charge with Mary's death?

• Who has been collecting her Social Security and Retirement Benefits all these years?
  • Is this to be considered a Homicide and will anyone be charge with Mary's death?
Thanks @Curious Me, you've asked all the questions swirling around my brain.

Neighbours who have been there for six years said they didn't see a woman there.
If she died 9 years ago that may be why.

But what about neighbours who've been there for over 9 years.
Unless she died somewhere else. But LE seems to think that she had lived in the house.

Re her relatives not wanting to comment. Maybe they think the public might judge them in a negative way.

I hope behind the scenes they are talking to LE with what they do know, even if they've not had contact with Mary for a long time.
Apologies to all that I'm late to the party so excuse me if this has been discussed. :)

I, like LE, think she used to live in the house at one point. I site I use to look people up have 4912 Zion listed as an address she lived at in 2009. This site doesn't always have the right dates, but the chances they have that address, and it so happens it's the same exact house on Goog maps and in various MSM... at least the address is pinpointing to that house, although I think that house address is actually 4918 as per the number painted on the curb.

Shows Mary Margaret, same age, living at 4912 Zion: https://www.familytreenow.com/searc...Diego, CA&rid=asa&smck=BfxegJRfTJNmhfn1n7c6VA

Goog maps shows that location is the same as the NY Post MSM (bottom of thread): Google Maps

1704846648407.png

NY Post source: Body found in freezer ID’d as 81-year-old woman who was either missing or dead for 9 years

So, if she lived there at one point, and she's been missing for 9 yrs... you'd think whoever was living in that house would have known there's a dead body in the freezer. All MOO.

Apologies to all that I'm late to the party so excuse me if this has been discussed. :)

I, like LE, think she used to live in the house at one point. I site I use to look people up have 4912 Zion listed as an address she lived at in 2009. This site doesn't always have the right dates, but the chances they have that address, and it so happens it's the same exact house on Goog maps and in various MSM... at least the address is pinpointing to that house, although I think that house address is actually 4918 as per the number painted on the curb.

Shows Mary Margaret, same age, living at 4912 Zion: https://www.familytreenow.com/search/people/results?first=mary&last=Haxby Jones&citystatezip=San Diego, CA&rid=asa&smck=BfxegJRfTJNmhfn1n7c6VA

Goog maps shows that location is the same as the NY Post MSM (bottom of thread): Google Maps

View attachment 473394

NY Post source: Body found in freezer ID’d as 81-year-old woman who was either missing or dead for 9 years

So, if she lived there at one point, and she's been missing for 9 yrs... you'd think whoever was living in that house would have known there's a dead body in the freezer. All MOO.

Agree, they should know. She may have "disappeared" 9 years ago, but she never left the property. We'll just have to wait and see what LE discovers.

Mary Margaret Jones/Barnett was born Sept. 1942 in Michigan.

MM’s father: William Robert Jones (1888-1966) - Find a Grave...
Robert W Barnett Jones Father changed his name, thus the Jones to MM’s Jones-Haxby. IMO.

ETA: Correction, I inserted the wrong link. This is MM’s mother: Margaret Mary Barnett (1916-1969) - Find a Grave...
MM’s mother: Mary Emily Gautier Barnett (1859-1947) - Find a...

MM’s sister: Nancy Florence Barnett Helms (1945-2012) - Find a... Susie must have been a nickname and this would indicate RH was a husband (I found no records during my quick search, but he’s likely living, so I’ll leave it at that).

Last edited:
I do thank you, @Izzylizzy for posting the news article link I asked for. :) Lots of details about Mary in that article that @FansBlowing initially posted.

It does say that, but if the out of towners weren't "officially" related to Mary, I'd still want to know if they ever knew her. The out of towners apparently knew the person currently living in the house. We're just getting limited info right now, and not all of it is fact yet.

There's so much more to this story, there's no way to get to the truth until we hear the actual conclusions of the investigation.

Agree with all your questions, and to me, they all seem so straightforward to answer, except perhaps cause of death and WHY (but my guess is $$). The others though, that is what we have databases for in this day and age.

I've been following along the whole time, and is it just me or does this case seem unnecessarily cryptic? Why is it taking so long to even get the basic facts of what happened here or how the people that found her were related?

Maybe it's my imagination, maybe just typical California case backlog, and if this is San Diego county, typical lack of transparency and reporting. Agree with those that this seems like someone wanted to reap the benefits of her benefits. Very sad.

Who has been collecting her Social Security and Retirement Benefits all these years?
How does it work in her area of the US?

In Europe, her money from the State could be just piling up onto her bank account. No specific need for anyone to use it, it could just be sitting untouched on her account - it's not like they would stop payments if you don't use it, they obviously have no info about a persons bank activity.

But I suspect it's more manual in the US? Who, how and where gets the money?

In Europe, her money from the State could be just piling up onto her bank account. No specific need for anyone to use it, it could just be sitting untouched on her account - it's not like they would stop payments if you don't use it, they obviously have no info about a persons bank activity.

All that would have to happen is the $ is deposited to a joint account OR an account linked to another OR someone has control of a debit card.
I've replaced my debit card several.times with just a couple.clicks of my online banking app.

Perhaps the current resident is technically a "squatter"? That has happened before - some "friend" who is living with the missing/deceased person continues to live there, driving their car, etc.

Something similar happened in this case. The homeowner was abused by the "friends", died and his body disposed in his own home. The "friend" continued to live there, drove his car and spent his money.

How sad that Daniel and his husband ended up living in squalor and even sadder was Daniel Day's tragic death.
It's so easy for these criminal thugs to prey on the elderly and needy, especially if there's no involved family/friends close by.
Burda''s trial is scheduled for the end of this month.
It's a good feeling hearing all the wonderful things people said about Daniel Day.

If it is going into her bank account, anyone with access to the account could receive or use the money. They wouldn't even have to be on the account. All they would need is her login, password, and the answers to her security questions. As someone else said, they could also get access via her debit card if she had one. Many of us put our monthly bills on auto pay. She could be paying all the bills on that house even after death. It wouldn't be the first time someone died and no one knew it for years because all the monthly bills were on auto pay.

How sad that Daniel and his husband ended up living in squalor and even sadder was Daniel Day's tragic death.
It's so easy for these criminal thugs to prey on the elderly and needy, especially if there's no involved family/friends close by.
It's a good feeling hearing all the wonderful things people said about Daniel Day.

Actually his name was Dennis Day - link to his case here:
Found Deceased - OR - Dennis Day, 76, former original Disney Mouseketeer, Phoenix, Jackson Co, 15 July 2018 *Arrest*

Trial is set for 1/22/24 - he has a hearing on 1/18/24.

I've done genealogy research for friends over many years. There have been at least 2 times I've tried to help people trace an elderly family member who sort of "disappeared". They were last known to be living at a senior apartment or assisted living, then nothing for several years. No longer at that address, no SS death record or obit. People in their 80's don't just pick up and disappear.

I would not confront anyone out of fear that I would be added to the body/bodies in the freezer.
I would be espically scared if the freezer was on the large size.

I agree NEVER CONFRONT. LEAVE as fast as possible but make it seem like you were called to a friend's emergency. LEAVE.
Have police confront instead.

I agree NEVER CONFRONT. LEAVE as fast as possible but make it seem like you were called to a friend's emergency. LEAVE.
Have police confront instead.
Yes, that is the best and safest advice.
We know too many times people are told by the 911 dispatcher to NOT open the door, or to stop chasing the person,the police are on their way, to no avail.
Then out comes the gun, a person is dead all because they didn't listen.
"Oh, but I was standing my ground" (scream).

itr would pile up here too but someone could be using her bank card.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fe!ng!rl
Back