Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAR 13, 2024
[...]

This week, Bryan took to his social media accounts and shared that the TC Restaurant Group, the owner and operator of Luke’s 32 Bridge, is continuing to work closely with the Nashville Police Department to help provide any helpful details in the case.

“Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones for his safe return,” the group shared.

Bryan added the Nashville Police Department’s information to his Instagram account and urged the public to reach out if they have any information.

I haven't finished reading the thread, but would like to point out a few things as I see a common theme in the responses.

Nashville is a party town. 99% of the people who leave the bars are as intoxicated as Riley appeared to be. As someone who once lived there, it was commonplace to see people stumbling and falling everywhere you turn on a Friday or Saturday night. I am not saying its the right thing to do, but most folks look the other way. If it becomes a public drunk issue, the police will show up eventually and handle the situation.
There is no way to charge a bartender with overserving. His buddies could have been buying rounds for everyone, taking turns. A bartender would not have known how intoxicated he was unless they laid eyes on him personally, and at some point they did, and they cut him off.
You don't get passes out in Nashville. If you leave, you pay another cover to come back in, and the covers are usually $25+ per bar. At 10pm on a Friday, it is possible his buddies didn't want to leave that early and if they were drunk too, they probably couldn't tell how bad off he was. That may have been what they meant by saying "weren't allowed to leave" or they may have had a bill they needed to pay up for as well.
I am absolutely not making excuses for anyone involved in this situation. I am just pointing out that the number of intoxicated people that walk in and out of the doors on a weekend night in Nashville are staggering and there will most likely never be any policing of "how drunk is too drunk" to leave alone.
Also, holding someone against their will is illegal. Even if you are just trying to make them wait on an Uber.
All of this. Also, reading some of the other posts, I don't think many understand how many people one of these bars can hold. I've never been to this particular one, but knowing the general area, and other similar bars in other cities and there can be over 1000 people in these places at once, so you could go from stone sober to drunk by just getting one drink from each bartender in the place. It's bouncer/security staff looking for the over served, and it's hard to see through wall to wall people standing around or dancing. And like you said, the streets of Nashville all full of stumbling drunk people. That's not going to pique anyone's interest.

He didn’t get up quickly after that fall. And walked oddly as he left camera range. I couldn’t tell if he hit his head, anyone else have an opinion?
He hit his head hard, I think. I also wondered if him falling so hard made him lose his phone. But if someone else found it, you'd think it would still be trackable.

He hit his head hard, I think. I also wondered if him falling so hard made him lose his phone. But if someone else found it, you'd think it would still be trackable.
I can't say I'm right however I watched that video on my computer and then saw it on my phone (tiktok to be exact) and I thought he did hit his head on the pole area but on my phone it didn't look like his head actually hit anything other then maybe the pavement. Again, I could be wrong. IMO
edited to add his head could have hit the pavement

From what I've read, it seems as though they followed him out. He had said he was going back to hotel, but went in wrong direction. I'm guessing they went right direction.

Back in room, there's something about finding his room key there. He was missing just about 4 hours when they showed up at the police station to report him missing -- no phone calls, no being put off or being given the run around, they went to station to file a report, called parents, all the things you're supposed to do.

Or, that's the way I read it.
I saw in a Nashville news report they reported him missing 16 hours after he went missing. They thought he was in a different room, they finally called parents & then filed missing person report after 1:00pm Saturday.

Unreal that no one helped him, at all. Clearly very intoxicated and highly vulnerable because of it.
I thought he said something, and after Riley passed him. He appears to check something in his hand? Maybe his phone and was trying to get directions via GMaps or something similar?

 moo

It does seem a little heartless. But I've lived in big cities where you see drunk people weaving all over, coming up to you abruptly and you have no idea what they're going to do. And homeless people. They can be so unpredictable. So the last thing you would do is engage them. In a town like Nashville where there is such a huge concentration of bars citizens are probably inured to see drunks roaming around. You would get desensitized to it.

MAR 13, 2024
[...]

The newest piece of video shows Strain running and then falling to the ground blocks away from the bar. It’s the first piece of video in a three-clip timeline.

“We actually went to the scene last night looking for anything that would’ve been on the barricade,” Dingman said. “Luckily, there was no blood or anything on that pole.”

The second video shows Strain clinging to a wall before he heads in the direction of the river in the third clip, where his phone was last pinged.

“Uber has reached out,” family friend Chris Dingman said. “They are trying to go back through their logs on their cars that they had downtown that evening. Lyft had also reached out.”

[...]

The family is also in contact with Apple, in hopes of using Strain’s Apple Watch to pinpoint his location.
What happens to your Apple watch when your iPhone dies?
What happens to your Apple Watch when your iPhone runs out of juice

The short answer is that any functionality on the Watch that relies on a network connection will cease working. The Watch has no cellular or Wi-Fi connection of its own. Instead, it connects to the web via the paired iPhone.

• If the phone dies you won’t be able to make or receive calls from your wrist.
  • Communication apps like Facebook and Twitter wouldn’t be able to get updates, so they’d freeze in place.
  • You couldn’t notifications of new emails or other messages.
  • You could still pay for stuff with Apple Pay using the Watch. Turns out that you need the iPhone to set up Apple Pay on the watch, but it’s unnecessary after that.
  • The Watch can store up to 2GB of music, so it’s possible to listen to that music using Bluetooth headphones even if the phone is out of gas.
  • Almost all of the exercise-related apps and functions would continue to work after the iPhone dies.
  • The biometrics measurements enabled by the sensors on the back of the device, like the heartbeat monitor, would continue to work.
  • You could still time your runs, but without the GPS radio in the paired phone, you couldn’t track and map your routes.

MAR 13, 2024
[...]

Riley's father, Ryan Gilbert, said he was told by Riley’s friends that he got separated from the group while getting kicked out of the bar.

"He was put out of the bar by himself, and there was a time that went by that his friend wasn’t able to get out. We believe they were taking care of the bar tab or whatnot. By the time they got outside, he just wasn’t there any longer,” said Gilbert.

[...]

The Ole Red bar across Broadway also has video of Strain crossing the street onto Third Avenue and further walking up the block. However, the bar said it would only disclose the video to detectives.

[...]

Strain’s family said his phone last pinged near Public Square Park, at 9:58 p.m. They say detectives have more video showing Strain near the James Robertson Parkway bridge. However, the trail ends there. There's been no trace of Strain after that.

[...]

It does seem a little heartless. But I've lived in big cities where you see drunk people weaving all over, coming up to you abruptly and you have no idea what they're going to do. And homeless people. They can be so unpredictable. So the last thing you would do is engage them. In a town like Nashville where there is such a huge concentration of bars citizens are probably inured to see drunks roaming around. You would get desensitized to it.

I do adore big cities. They have the best nicknames. New York is the City that Doesn't Sleep. Everything That Happens in Vegas, Stays In Vegas. New Orleans is The Big Easy where they Let the Good Times Roll and Nashville is our beloved Music City.

Riley graduates in May. Folks over in Nashville need to hurry up and find him, please. Look everywhere. Search abandoned vehicles in the backseat and in the trunk. Church parking lots. Near the park benches along the river front. Take your dogs with you. They love to sniff. Not only is Riley's height a recognizable feature but so is that fabulous color block shirt he's wearing with his Apple watch.

My heart breaks for this family, I cannot even imagine their fear and pain. I'm sure everyone there is doing everything in their power to find him. I wonder if they have been able to get scent/search dogs to search construction areas, the river bank the homeless camps. I haven't read anything about that. Praying for his safe return...

For the sake of these clearly loving and suffering parents, I do hope that Nashville PD is all over examining the water, with various departmental specialties as well as third-party vendors and experts. MOO: I believe he is in the water and I pray that finding him will grant his family and friends some small amount of closure.

Anyone who has served 22 year-olds alcohol for any length of time, imo. I agree with the OP. The bar staff was late in cutting him off.
The problem is they were bar hopping and no one knows how much he drank prior to getting to that bar. It may have only taken one or two drinks at this bar to put him over the edge and once that happened he was probably cut off.

My husband worked in a bar for years and he'd tell you he'd serve a patron who seemed sober 30 minutes before all of a sudden be totally out of it. No one is required to tell the next bar how much they've consumed before they arrived.

I saw in a Nashville news report they reported him missing 16 hours after he went missing. They thought he was in a different room, they finally called parents & then filed missing person report after 1:00pm Saturday.
I really don’t know how that report got out, maybe bad editing? But here it says 1:46 am.

(More at link)

1:46 A.M. March 9​

This is when the 911 call comes in. Baltz makes the call from the Central Police Precinct, which is about a 15-minute walk from Luke Bryan’s bar on Broadway, but in the opposite direction from the sheriff’s office. Baltz seems to be there with other members of his fraternity.

I don’t think this has been covered, and I have to admit I don’t know cars very well. But in all the videos there is a black car that looks like it could be the same. But more so, in the video clip where he falls, at the very beginning it looks like he could be interacting with two others. It even looks like he puts his arm out as if to keep them at a distant. Then we see him run through the parking lot. I’ve included some pictures. Go back and watch videos. I know there are a million black cars, but what do you all think? I numbered the photos:IMG_2631.jpegIMG_2632.jpegIMG_2630.jpegIMG_2634.jpegIMG_2628.jpeg
1.) The interaction.
2.) Him walking away right before left turn into parking lot and running. You can see a black car Also another photo of closer pic of car.
3.) Walking on sidewalk prior to reaching construction intersection with car passing.
4.) Closer pic of car. Bicyclist also slowly rides by but not in picture.
5.) Black car turning just before he crosses road.

I know this is probably nothing. But since there aren’t that many cars on the road in these clips, thought it was worth pointing out.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 24
MAR 13, 2024
[...]

This week, Bryan took to his social media accounts and shared that the TC Restaurant Group, the owner and operator of Luke’s 32 Bridge, is continuing to work closely with the Nashville Police Department to help provide any helpful details in the case.

“Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones for his safe return,” the group shared.

Bryan added the Nashville Police Department’s information to his Instagram account and urged the public to reach out if they have any information.

I just find it bizarre that bars and owners or people associated with them have to provide some public service announcement about working closely with the police. Why? I don't see Toyota, GM or Tesla or any car company making public announcements when some extremely drunk person crashes their vehicle into the side of a house? Why does there have to be an inference that the bar is responsible?

I just find it bizarre that bars and owners or people associated with them have to provide some public service announcement about working closely with the police. Why? I don't see Toyota, GM or Tesla or any car company making public announcements when some extremely drunk person crashes their vehicle into the side of a house? Why does there have to be an inference that the bar is responsible?
I think one reason is that they're being accused of over serving, not allowing him to leave with his friends, and there have been claims that he may have been roofied there (I find this to be the most dubious). There's some very vocal people on social media, and I think this is a way to mitigate some of the criticism.

This particular place is a major part of the sequence of events here, and with the name recognition, people just expect them to say and do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iamgoingtofindyou45