Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press conferences like this really don’t help the situation IMO.

I think that local law enforcement have done a great job in this case piecing together CCTV to establish his final movements on that night.. unfortunately and tragically it seems to be that pretty much the only logical explanation is that Riley entered the water and drowned on that night.

further federal resources are not going to be poured into this case IMO when they will not change the overall ending of this case - As hard as it is for the family this now ultimately is a waiting game until the river gives up the body somewhere in the days, weeks, months to come.

I understand they are hurting I really do but criticising and being frustrated with LEs response is not the right thing to do here.
I don’t think they’re criticizing. They’re just desperate. And I believe they will continue to get a lot of help from both public and private entities for at least a while.

These cases involving water are always hard to deal with as, as family/friends you never tend to get the answers you need even once the body is found.

Like with Chris Brahney everything ultimately just comes back inconclusive - you’ll never get definitive answers of what happened that night the only person who knows is the deceased person in the water.

My heart breaks for his mother, looking at that vast amount of water in the aerial footage posted on the previous page it could be literally months before the body is found.

Reminds me of the case of Delano Burkes. He left a bar, was seen stumbling on camera, and then they found him in the ship channel.

As I mentioned in the threads about Delano, I lost a middle school friend when his frat brothers abandoned him at a Nuggets game in Denver because he was too drunk. He ended up dead on the railroad tracks in eastern Colorado.

The debit/credit card being found seems to be a very valuable piece of information. It looks like it was found near a homeless garbage dump near the river. I doubt that it washed ashore as some have speculated, but it would appear to also have been dumped in the garbage pit by the nearby homeless population.
Alcohol can really be dangerous for young people. For anyone for that matter. But when you’re older you know your limits more and take precautions.

Just one more thing to caution young people about. If anything, maybe Riley’s legacy could be to make alcohol consumption, a buddy system and avoiding water when drinking, something that is discussed more among college kids.

Watched the drone video shared above, and am reminded of the barges in the river. They could push a body up or down the river as well. JMO
Yep. I did some looking into past cases involving the Cumberland River and it’s often the barge workers that uncover remains in the water. It’s a very active waterway and if there’s any good news to be pulled from all this it’s that there are a lot of eyes on the river often.

“That is something that we have been able to find and verify. Riley did have battery power at the time his phone went dark. What we have been told is the phone did not die due to battery capacity,” Chris Dingman said during a Tuesday interview on NewsNation’s “Elizabeth Vargas Reports.”

Additionally, Dingman disclosed that Strain’s removal from the bar was not due to confrontations but rather a conversation with an employee.
“There was no argument … Riley was actually trying to do a good deed,” Dingman said. “They felt like, you know, maybe he had had enough.”

This goes back to my earlier point about what LE has been saying to the family (or not) to help them mitigate their hopes. There have to be statistics about these types of situations...even the family spokesman (I think it was him) said that the first 48 are so important, and we are way beyond that. If LE is saying they're scaling back the investigation, I hope that helps the family temper their expectations...I know we've had lots of posts on here where we are all hoping beyond hope for them and we understand psychologically why the family is holding out hope, but I still do wonder what, if anything, LE is doing to help the family understand that a positive outcome isn't likely. They haven't changed his missing person's status or declared this a recovery, but I think they know how this is (statistically) likely to end. I wonder if they've been able to provide them with a social worker and/or say any of these things to the family (not that it will diminish a parent's hope). All JMO and I'm still so so sad for them all.
LE isn’t going to tell them anything to try to temper their hopes or expectations. They’re just going to assure them that they’re doing all they can and investigating everything from every angle.

No social worker can help these people to accept what others believe to be true at the moment and they don’t need to temper their hope at this point. IMO, hope enables them to accept something terrible, more gradually. Which is good. I never understand why, when people are in such a horrid predicament, others want them to be hit with reality as quickly as possible. I don’t think that’s the way our brains work. We hold out hope as long as possible in order to protect our minds. You see this a lot with parents of kids with stage four cancer, for example. They keep believing and hoping and praying until they can’t. And it gets them through.

For Riley’s loved ones, they’re able to withstand the waiting as long as they have hope and they’re also able to slowly adjust to the possibility he may not come home.

It sucks. My heart hurts for them.

IMO , the finding of his debit card is peculiar. if it was in his shirt pocket and he gave his shirt to a homeless person, TBH, I feel that they would have utilized their newfound resource. Also, why was his debit card separate from his identification card? did he not carry a wallet? Did he carry his debit card and his identification in a pocket? I understand the younger generation does use technology to pay for many things, but to get into a club, looking his youthful self he would have been carded, IMO.
I don’t know but I’ve dropped my credit card or my ID so many times it’s ridiculous. And often they’re in the same pocket or section of a wallet but only one falls out. It’s usually when I’m pulling something else out.

That’s so true. I remember reading about a woman whose son was fighting in Iraq, and was killed. An army vehicle with an official came to her home to tell her. She spoke through the door crack with it ajar. She wouldn’t let him in, so he said, “Ma’am, you’re going to have to open the door and let me in at some point.”
She said, “No, if I let you in, it will make it true.”
Heartbreaking.
That’s hurts to read.

It seems as if he was intending to go to his hotel ‘tempo by Hilton’ but may have been heading towards a building called ‘your tempo’, possibly confusing the two.
Snipped by me for focus. Oh gosh, you could be onto something there. I see that Your Tempo building a few blocks northwest of the bridges, between 2nd and 3rd streets. But why would he possibly have gotten into a car if he was only another 5 min walk from that building (albeit not the hotel, but he wouldn’t have known that)?

“That is something that we have been able to find and verify. Riley did have battery power at the time his phone went dark. What we have been told is the phone did not die due to battery capacity,” Chris Dingman said during a Tuesday interview on NewsNation’s “Elizabeth Vargas Reports.”

Additionally, Dingman disclosed that Strain’s removal from the bar was not due to confrontations but rather a conversation with an employee.
“There was no argument … Riley was actually trying to do a good deed,” Dingman said. “They felt like, you know, maybe he had had enough.”
doesn't that mean the phone's in the water?

there was a case similar to this in Florida, where a man parked his truck and walked to meet his friends, but never made it. They later found his body through private investigators wedged behind a gated dumpster. they were never able to determine how he got there but foul play was not suspected he was

Good point! I know this might sound kind of crazy but I have a friend who knows her son drinks heavily and asks him as a worst case scenario precaution (such as this one!) to keep an air tag in his pocket. He always rolls his eyes but does it!
Would an airtag work underwater? I think it would be rendered useless like the phone and watch if submerged? JMO

Would an airtag work underwater? I think it would be rendered useless like the phone and watch if submerged? JMO
Yes, the iphone, airtag, and his watch are waterpoof to a certain depth. However, the radio waves are not able to penetrate water more than a few inches so it can't be located underwater.

Don't bodies float when they have been in water?
Eventually they do....It depends on many factors. Water temps, body fat, currents, debris in the water, level of decomposition, etc. There are many factors as to when and where a drowned body will surface, but it is never usually immediate. It could be in the same general area, but in moving bodies of water, it could be miles away. MOO

“There was no argument … Riley was actually trying to do a good deed,” Dingman said. “They felt like, you know, maybe he had had enough
Just a reminder that this is coming from a family friend, not the bar itself.

Figured its worth mentioning since theres been some differences in narratives about what went down that night, depending on the source

That’s an interesting way to phrase why someone would be asked to leave an establishment.

Eventually they do....It depends on many factors. Water temps, body fat, currents, debris in the water, level of decomposition, etc. There are many factors as to when and where a drowned body will surface, but it is never usually immediate. It could be in the same general area, but in moving bodies of water, it could be miles away. MOO
Right… and it’s been said that body of water is full of debris. Trees, rocks, construction debris, and more. A body could be snagged on something. I do hope the Cajun Navy has sonar or divers. I think they’ve already sent divers down but the water looks so muddy it seems like it would be very difficult to find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769