TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 3:12 ping was close to the urgent care or pharmacy, correct? Didn’t they announce that, then kinda walked it back, and then again said that the ping happened?

Would that fit some of the theory that he was picked up in a car by the bridge and driven away?

This timing kinda matches, no?
2:58 phone turned off
3:12 it pings.

Is it possible he turned it off when he got in the car, maybe something happened, the perp turns it on and puts it in Airplane mode?

Does the phone ping in Airplane mode? When does the phone actually ping? Doesn’t it ping even when it’s wiped?
I notice Williams Dr is close to a Walgreens (not in screen shot) OR...in the google maps screen shot above, the pink denotes a medical center on Williams Dr. Maybe that is the area of the phone ping (rather than the Williams drive next to The Cottages Apartments). Why would they announce, then walk it back? Is that also where the picture of the drainage ditch was taken? I originally assumed it was taken closer to the apartments.

Questions Ive been thinking about:
I wonder if his roommates will continue to live at the apartment?
I’m surprised the roommates are being extremely tight lipped as it appears none of them have been interviewed, how did they pull that off?
I wonder if Caleb’s car is somewhere being fingerprinted, or did his dad take the car back home?
What happens to all his classes he was registered for this semester? Will he get F’s or Withdraw?
Is Caleb’s clothing still in the apartment or did his parents clear everything out.

Sorry just been thinking about what goes on behinds the scenes when someone goes missing….

I’m surprised the roommates are being extremely tight lipped as it appears none of them have been interviewed, how did they pull that off?
I wonder if Caleb’s car is somewhere being fingerprinted, or did his dad take the car back home?
What happens to all his classes he was registered for this semester? Will he get F’s or Withdraw?
Is Caleb’s clothing still in the apartment or did his parents clear everything out.

Sorry just been thinking about what goes on behinds the scenes when someone goes missing….
All very good questions.

I fail to see how stereotyping an entire generation helps find Caleb.

I know many Gen Z-ers that don't use Uber Eats, and a lot of older folks who do. People are more complex than generational labels.
<modsnip - personalizing>
Many posters are looking at things they see as unusual behavior,such as sending random photos in Snapchat or ordering from Uber Eats with contactless delivery which is the default setting on every order. Understanding how college kids operate puts things in perspective.
No one is saying that older people never use food delivery services or that every single Gen Z-er does...or that it's a personality trait.
Middle to upper middle class students like Caleb think nothing of using Uber Eats so it's a non-issue.
It is very, very common on college campuses and in student-heavy areas to use food delivery often, and it is not anything out of the ordinary or suspicious in any way. Neither are late nights and Snapchats.
<modsnip - personalizing> his activities were not necessarily suspicious for a college kid in 2024. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:

IIRC, there was some statement early on by the family that Caleb had just signed a new lease but I am not sure if it was for the same apartment or for another apartment, and not sure if it was at the same apartment complex. We don't know if he would be with the same roommates or not, one or more of them may be graduating this spring, or moving in with a girlfriend, or other. It has not been reported what their plans are. I am sure the roommates have been interviewed by LE and likely also spoken to Caleb's family. I wouldn't be out talking to the media if my roommate was missing, so it doesn't surprise me.

How Caleb's classes this semester will be handled depends on a lot of things. If he returns to classes after spring break, then there won't be much of an impact unless he missed a test or exam. He would work out the way to address that with his faculty members. If he was abducted and then returns, the university will do their best to help him complete the academic year, they can give him "incompletes" which means he would likely have to complete the coursework for the courses he was taking this semester at a later date, probably by August or whatever the date is for the beginning of the fall term.

If Caleb was a student in good standing with his university, then faculty in his department and the administration will usually work together to do everything they can to work out a plan for him to complete his semester. This happens all the time, for example a student gets sick or needs to have surgery, there is a death in the family, etc. All need to be verified, of course, but there are ways to make up the coursework such as term papers, tests, exams, projects, etc.

I hope Caleb does return and complete his degree. Apparently he was interested in environmental science, or something like that, and wanted to work outdoors for park service or something like that. Seems that he would be great at that kind of career.

If LE have cleared the apartment for the roommates and Caleb's family, then if the lease is about to expire and a move was planned out of this particular apartment, then I would think that Caleb's family would be moving his belongings to safeguard them until Caleb returns. Also his vehicle. By now LE would have cleared both the apartment and vehicle, I would think.

JMO.

I’m wondering why some think that IF he may have met someone that picked him up he had to have known them? Is it somehow more risky to meet someone for the first time in a vehicle as it might be somewhere both arrive separately especially if that location is not public? Is that some generally accepted boundary that I’m unaware of?

My belief would be that it does appear he got in a vehicle. He may have ordered Uber eats as the ruse for his roommates to understand why he was going outside again. He may have turned off the phone to hide his location. What happened from there is the mystery, but I go with planned assault from perp as there is no arrest. No press conference, no vehicle alert. And I’m concerned.

Early on, Caleb's father said that Caleb had just signed a lease on an apartment for next year. If that is the case, then I am guessing that his current lease ends in May when the academic year ends and we know that Caleb was planning to work in Alaska for the summer and with a new lease for the fall recently signed, then after Alaska he was planning to return to a leased apartment in August when the 2024-2025 academic year begins.

April would be the time of year when college students are securing housing for the fall if they are leaving the area for the summer or moving home with their parents for the summer months. So it does sound like Caleb was planning to return to his classes in the fall and had made arrangements for his housing for the next academic year.

Early on, Caleb's father said that Caleb had just signed a lease on an apartment for next year. If that is the case, then I am guessing that his current lease ends in May when the academic year ends and we know that Caleb was planning to work in Alaska for the summer and with a new lease for the fall recently signed, then after Alaska he was planning to return to a leased apartment in August when the 2024-2025 academic year begins.

April would be the time of year when college students are securing housing for the fall if they are leaving the area for the summer or moving home with their parents for the summer months. So it does sound like Caleb was planning to return to his classes in the fall and had made arrangements for his housing for the next academic year.
On-campus housing runs Aug to May. But off-campus housing generally runs Aug to July. No clue what his lease specifically was. It's a money trap for parents because apartments often sit empty but with rent paid for two months when/if kids come home for the summer to work. Been there done that.The trade off is you don't have to move them out and then back in.

And just because a student re-ups his lease, doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't change his mind later and decide to skip town on a whim. I don't think that's what happened here. I'm just saying that his renewing his lease doesn't necessarily mean much in relation to his disappearance.

IMO everything that is known so far and speculated points to a planned meet up gone wrong. It'll be interesting to see if there are any leads found in San Antonio since search/investigative efforts seem to have now gone in that direction.

Praying for him & his family!

Last edited:
I’m wondering why some think that IF he may have met someone that picked him up he had to have known them? Is it somehow more risky to meet someone for the first time in a vehicle as it might be somewhere both arrive separately especially if that location is not public? Is that some generally accepted boundary that I’m unaware of?

My belief would be that it does appear he got in a vehicle. He may have ordered Uber eats as the ruse for his roommates to understand why he was going outside again. He may have turned off the phone to hide his location. What happened from there is the mystery, but I go with planned assault from perp as there is no arrest. No press conference, no vehicle alert. And I’m concerned.
This scenario might possibly point to his leaving with the person deliberately, although it doesn’t seem likely considering all he would be leaving behind: apartment, family, studies, friends.

So if it was someone he’d been with before and felt comfortable enough to get in his vehicle, why would this person want to turn on him or kill him? I guess maybe just psychopathy. In terms of no vehicle alert or press conference, and no arrest — if the scenario is factual, the person apparently went wholly undetected.

This scenario might possibly point to his leaving with the person deliberately, although it doesn’t seem likely considering all he would be leaving behind: apartment, family, studies, friends.

So if it was someone he’d been with before and felt comfortable enough to get in his vehicle, why would this person want to turn on him or kill him? I guess maybe just psychopathy. In terms of no vehicle alert or press conference, and no arrest — if the scenario is factual, the person apparently went wholly undetected.

Is it possible that they ran into trouble together? I'm thinking of things like, for example, the car went into the water at quite a distance from Caleb's apartment and for whatever reason the other person hasn't been noticed missing. Or somebody called up and said "hey let's drive out to *advertiser censored* and get in some fishing at first light before class" and they both fell in the water and couldn't get out so there's no trace except an apparently abandoned car?

This is pure speculation on my part and rather off the deep end, I admit.

Is it possible that they ran into trouble together? I'm thinking of things like, for example, the car went into the water at quite a distance from Caleb's apartment and for whatever reason the other person hasn't been noticed missing. Or somebody called up and said "hey let's drive out to *advertiser censored* and get in some fishing at first light before class" and they both fell in the water and couldn't get out so there's no trace except an apparently abandoned car?

This is pure speculation on my part and rather off the deep end, I admit.
It’s possible, but feel they should have been found by now.

My thinking at this point is that this was possibly a hook up, and that CH may have gotten into a vehicle. The circumstances of CH being up so late and being outside so late could suggest that he had something planned for very late that night. Also, 3 am is “on the hour” if one was arranging a time to meet up with somebody (though this could also mean nothing).

Was it just a coincidence that CH was up and outside so late on a night when one of his roommates was spending the night out and the other was asleep? Even though his am classes might not been until mid morning, I think 3 am would typically be late for any college student to still be up. Jmo

I know college kids are often gaming at all hours, but would CH have typically been up that late preparing fishing tackle? Not saying it couldn’t have happened, but I think it’s possible he perhaps intended to stay up past when his other roommate went to bed.

If (IF) it was a hook up (that perhaps he didn’t expect to last long - as he was barefoot) and CH got in a vehicle, I would think there are only two possibilities: something accidental, or something premeditated. Again, this is pure speculation,

If (IF) it was a hook up and if (IF) it was accidental, it might be possible for LE to eventually do a geo fence and identify what phones were in the area (though I’m not sure whether a geo fence warrant can be obtained, and don’t know precise a geo fence can be).

If (IF) it was a hook up and if (IF) it was premeditated, it’s likely the (hypothetical) driver did not bring a phone. In that case, one would normally expect that traffic cams and business/residence cctv would yield clues (there are cameras on the horizontal traffic light bars at Ennis Joslin and S. Padre) but is was dark and incredibly foggy.

Both scenarios are difficult to contemplate, and I hope neither is what happened. I hope LE is able to locate CH soon.

All speculation and moo

Very nicely written. The Geo Fence idea would be worth pursuing in this case, in my opinon.

I think another possibility is a burner phone.

If he was using a no-contract phone (what you are referring to as a "burner" phone), then why did he use his contract phone to send the snapchat photo of the bridge? Wouldn't he have used the no-contract phone to send the photo if it was related to some pre-arranged plan?

MOO - Many casual encounters happen in vehicles because they can be driven to a discrete location (not at either person's home with family/roommates, not that going to an unknown's residence is safer). A motel would be another option, or to meet up in the woods and hope you don't get caught on a trail cam. I suspect that Caleb planned to get into a car whether he knew the person or not.

I don’t think we can infer anything from the Uber Eats order. I am decades older than Caleb and I use Uber Eats and Door Dash. Is it more expensive, yes, but it’s convenient. I also do no contact even though I am always home. People spend their money how it suits them. I hope, for Caleb, and his family, that LE solves this soon. I cannot imagine what his parents are going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esig