Drew Arrest Watch

It was my understanding that the GJ had one more Thursday to meet. (ie. next Thursday). If so, maybe they will indict next Thursday. But I have to admit, it would be so pleasurable to see it happen on Monday, like you said, mysteriew. :)

Here is some more info to go with what I mentioned in regards to motive in my last post.

Divorce squeezed Drew
Peterson stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars, court documents say.

Six days before Kathleen Savio's lifeless body was found in an empty bathtub in her Bolingbrook home, Drew Peterson's lawyer prepared papers telling his client he had been subpoenaed and was to be deposed in his ongoing divorce battle.

Peterson, indicted last week on murder charges in Savio's 2004 drowning, stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in the divorce from the sale of the couple's home and Sud's Pub, his Montgomery bar, according to court documents reviewed by the Tribune. Savio was also going after half of his police pension, which pays $6,000 a month.

Instead of losing a bundle, Peterson got just about everything after Savio's death, including custody of their two children.
(snipped)

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-peterson-savio-divorce-details-may15,0,3474938.story

It does concern me that Fri was supposedly the last day of the GJ and they have now heard from Len and his wife and from Tom, yet there is still no indictmment for Stacey. Did they issue one and the state just hasn't told the media yet, or did they decide not to issue. I would have thought there would be more evidence on Stacey, at least more recent evidence and fresher witnesses.

Still maybe the state is going to wait til Monday after the arraignment to make the arrest. LOL, can't you just see that? The judge lowering the bond, DrewP posting bail..... then LE coming to arrest him for Stacey? That would make all this wait worth it.

It seems to me that it would be more prudent to NOT indict Drew for Stacy's death at this particular time. First, don't forget that he has a right to a speedy trial. He's in jail, he probably won't be out on bail, and there is no hurry to indict unless they believe they have an iron-clad case for Stacy. Also, both of these cases are going to require tons of money and the best prosecutors.

In the death of Kathleen, this is not a slam dunk case. Further, these new hearsay exceptions will most likely be challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court. While I am certain from a common sense view that Drew is responsible for both Kathleen's and Stacy's demise, proof beyond a reasonable doubt is still the standard for a conviction. The prosecution also has to work around the first decision of cause of death. I think that's a biggie. There's a lot more of Drew talking to the media and making a fool of himself, etc., that would be helpful for Stacy's case than for Kathleen's.

With the indictment for Kathleen's death, there's a body, there's a lot of good hearsay evidence from Kathleen herself, and there's factual evidence that Drew would have benefited greatly from her death. The case will revolve around those three things - I believe - and I think they're substantial.

But with Stacy's disappearance, they first have to convince a jury that's she's dead. As time goes on, this becomes more and more likely. Then, they have to show a motive. I think it's a little more complicated in this case because there's a lot of hearsay evidence from people who loved Stacy - a motive to greatly enhance what Stacy said. Further, she hadn't filed for divorce, it was a short marriage, and she most likely wouldn't have been entitled to part of his pension. Also, inherited money isn't community property in most states, so the money inherited from Kathleen's death probably wouldn't have been included in the divorce settlement. I believe the main reason for Stacy's death is that she knew he killed Kathleen. Her testimony combined with the three things I cited would be extremely convincing. So, if he's indeed convicted for Kathleen's death, that would go a long way toward a motive IF that is, the hearsay evidence from the pastor can be admitted for evidence. Another motive is that Stacy would probably have gotten the children. That and having to pay child support is another reason Drew didn't want her around, but those two items are not extremely strong for motive. I think this is a much more difficult case to prove beyond that pesky standard of reasonable doubt.

If they wait to indict after the trial for Kathleen's death, they will be stronger in terms of mistakes made, etc. and that knowledge would be extremely helpful in a second trial. They also might hear testimony under oath that would help in a second trial.

Bottom line is that I think they have him where they want him and there are no statutes of limitation on murder. I would think they would wait until this case plays out before he's indicted. There's so much hearsay evidence in both cases that I think they need to see how this one goes. Stacy's case in particular revolves around what she said to other people. IF HOWEVER, his bail is greatly lowered and he can make bail, that's a game changer. A second murder indictment would probably mean revocation of any bail at all. A release from jail would be an incentive to run.

Just my opinion........

It does concern me that Fri was supposedly the last day of the GJ and they have now heard from Len and his wife and from Tom, yet there is still no indictmment for Stacey. Did they issue one and the state just hasn't told the media yet, or did they decide not to issue. I would have thought there would be more evidence on Stacey, at least more recent evidence and fresher witnesses.

Still maybe the state is going to wait til Monday after the arraignment to make the arrest. LOL, can't you just see that? The judge lowering the bond, DrewP posting bail..... then LE coming to arrest him for Stacey? That would make all this wait worth it.

If I remember correctly, in one of the articles it said there were two more sessions of the grand jury - the one that happened on Thursday, and next Thursday, May 21st.

If that's the case, maybe this past Thursday they heard testimony from TM, Len and Paula, taking up the entire session with testimony, and deferred deliberations until next Thursday.

I think it would be wonderful if the grand jury handed down an indictment for Stacy's disappearance next week! Arraignment for Kathleen's murder on Monday, followed by an indictment for Stacy on Thursday. Another high bond amount for that indictment would insure that DP doesn't post bond.

Thesleuther, you make some very good points. Except that I believe that Stacey's case is probably the stronger one. Tom M. is a direct witness, the pastor is the hearsay witness, and Stacey's attorney will be another direct witness in that she had an appt. to discuss the divorce with him one day after she disappeared. That will be a very harmful piece of info. Friends and family will testify as to the controlling and jealousy aspect of the marriage.

For both women's cases I think the ex wives will probably be called to testify also. There are some similiarties in their stories and the stories that Kathleen and Stacey told about threats and controlling behavior. So their testimony will probably go to both motive and patterns.

Kathleen's case is probably the weakest in that she was previously ruled an accidental death and with the passage of time. I just hope that LE and prosecution has been doing some behind the scenes dealing that will set up just what happened in that case, and how it got to where it was ruled accidental. If they show previous wrongdoing in the investigation of her death, that will pretty well set DrewP up for murder in her death.

Yeah it is probably wrong of me to want them to be on hand to arrest DrewP again if he gets out on bail. But darn it, he has it coming!

If I remember correctly, in one of the articles it said there were two more sessions of the grand jury - the one that happened on Thursday, and next Thursday, May 21st.

If that's the case, maybe this past Thursday they heard testimony from TM, Len and Paula, taking up the entire session with testimony, and deferred deliberations until next Thursday.

I think it would be wonderful if the grand jury handed down an indictment for Stacy's disappearance next week! Arraignment for Kathleen's murder on Monday, followed by an indictment for Stacy on Thursday. Another high bond amount for that indictment would insure that DP doesn't post bond.
I completely agree, Leila! And yes, I do believe they have one more Thursday to meet. :)

snipped from JustJax's quote: Six days before Kathleen Savio's lifeless body was found in an empty bathtub in her Bolingbrook home, Drew Peterson's lawyer prepared papers telling his client he had been subpoenaed and was to be deposed in his ongoing divorce battle.

Sheesh, what self control he must have exerted over those six long days.

Hi, One thing different I heard a lawyer TH say on either HLN or FOX was that the testimony from the pastor is not heresay evidence. He went on to say Stacy told the preacher what she had been told in person by Drew which made it direct or REAL evidence.

Just sayin' and don't know if this is the case. If it isn't, they ought to bend over that TH and give him a swift kick! :)

Hi, One thing different I heard a lawyer TH say on either HLN or FOX was that the testimony from the pastor is not heresay evidence. He went on to say Stacy told the preacher what she had been told in person by Drew which made it direct or REAL evidence.

Just sayin' and don't know if this is the case. If it isn't, they ought to bend over that TH and give him a swift kick! :)
:confused:

hear·say (hîr
prime.gif
s
amacr.gif
lprime.gif
) [SIZE=-2]KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NOUN: [/SIZE]

1. Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor.
  2. Law Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony.

Thesleuther, you make some very good points. Except that I believe that Stacey's case is probably the stronger one. Tom M. is a direct witness, the pastor is the hearsay witness, and Stacey's attorney will be another direct witness in that she had an appt. to discuss the divorce with him one day after she disappeared. That will be a very harmful piece of info. Friends and family will testify as to the controlling and jealousy aspect of the marriage.

For both women's cases I think the ex wives will probably be called to testify also. There are some similiarties in their stories and the stories that Kathleen and Stacey told about threats and controlling behavior. So their testimony will probably go to both motive and patterns.

Kathleen's case is probably the weakest in that she was previously ruled an accidental death and with the passage of time. I just hope that LE and prosecution has been doing some behind the scenes dealing that will set up just what happened in that case, and how it got to where it was ruled accidental. If they show previous wrongdoing in the investigation of her death, that will pretty well set DrewP up for murder in her death.

Yeah it is probably wrong of me to want them to be on hand to arrest DrewP again if he gets out on bail. But darn it, he has it coming!

Yes, Tom Morphey's testimony will be very damaging if what we have heard is true. The fact that she had an appointment to discuss divorce can be argued by Drew's attorney that he would had no knowledge of this; therefore without the knowledge, he couldn't have killed her for that reason.

I don't disagree that there's a lot of circumstantial evidence for Stacy's case, but I still think that Kathleen's case is stronger. The reason is that there are all those things in Kathleen's handwriting that detail abuse. There are the restraining orders. Most of all, there is the financial settlement and Drew stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars between current assets and future income. That is a very strong case for motive.

That being said, there are problems with both cases. And that is why I believe that it is more prudent to try the Kathleen case first. The prosecution will definitely learn from that case as the jurors can speak. There's nothing like a trial to see how everything plays with the jury.

So, I would love to see him charged, too, but looking at it unemotionally, I think it is more prudent to move forward with one case first.

And for what it's worth, I think the prosecution also believes they have the best chance with Kathleen's case or they wouldn't have filed it first.

JHMO

I'm not sure why the info about the property settlement, new will, and pension is being reported by the media as if it were new information. That's been out there awhile now. Even before the Savio's filed their suit.

And I bet Drew does think that the GJ is uneducated, after all that worked in his favor at the coroner's inquest into Kathleen's death. With the exception of the LE friend of Drew's, they were the average Joe, not educated in the areas they needed to be to render the verdict of accident. In fact, they voted the way they did, not based on forensic evidence, instead rather by what they were told by the only person with experience in these matters. A LE friend of Drew's, conveniently seated for the inquest, who put in a good word for him. Why that guy has not been charged with witness tampering is beyond me.

And you think of all the people, mostly LE, who readily bought his BS and helped him get away with this stuff for years, well of course Drew thinks they are uneducated (stupid). For the most part they were.

I'm pretty sure Drew thinks this will be the case this time.

Yes, Tom Morphey's testimony will be very damaging if what we have heard is true. The fact that she had an appointment to discuss divorce can be argued by Drew's attorney that he would had no knowledge of this; therefore without the knowledge, he couldn't have killed her for that reason.

I don't disagree that there's a lot of circumstantial evidence for Stacy's case, but I still think that Kathleen's case is stronger. The reason is that there are all those things in Kathleen's handwriting that detail abuse. There are the restraining orders. Most of all, there is the financial settlement and Drew stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars between current assets and future income. That is a very strong case for motive.

That being said, there are problems with both cases. And that is why I believe that it is more prudent to try the Kathleen case first. The prosecution will definitely learn from that case as the jurors can speak. There's nothing like a trial to see how everything plays with the jury.

So, I would love to see him charged, too, but looking at it unemotionally, I think it is more prudent to move forward with one case first.

And for what it's worth, I think the prosecution also believes they have the best chance with Kathleen's case or they wouldn't have filed it first.

JHMO
Sleuther, I agree with just about everything you say. Realistically, each case relies on the other to make it stronger. But more so with Stacy's murder because one strong motive in her murder was to keep her quite about the murder of Kathleen. If Drew skates on Kathleen's murder, it is very likely that one key element of the motive to murder Stacy is shot down the tubes. There's always the financial motive to kill Stacy, but my guess is Drew had some prenuptuals in place to protect many of "his" assets.

For this reason, I feel it would be a stronger case to try him for both at the same time. If he walks on Kathleen's murder, he likely walks on Stacy's, unless they find her body and some evidence to go along with it.

JMO

Sleuther, I agree with just about everything you say. Realistically, each case relies on the other to make it stronger. But more so with Stacy's murder because one strong motive in her murder was to keep her quite about the murder of Kathleen. If Drew skates on Kathleen's murder, it is very likely that one key element of the motive to murder Stacy is shot down the tubes. There's always the financial motive to kill Stacy, but my guess is Drew had some prenuptuals in place to protect many of "his" assets.

For this reason, I feel it would be a stronger case to try him for both at the same time. If he walks on Kathleen's murder, he likely walks on Stacy's, unless they find her body and some evidence to go along with it.

JMO
....after further reflection, none of us really have any idea which case is stronger, or even if either case is strong or weak. We only know some of the facts and have no idea if that's all the facts that LE has or if it is only a drop in the bucket.

I'm just glad that they feel that have enough arrest him and that they should at least have enough to put him to trial. I pray their case is strong on both accounts, but really, who knows until we hear what is presented.

I was certainly one of the ones complaining it was taking too long and that they had enough to arrest....so why were they waiting. Having D.P. behind bars has certainly calmed my emotions. It was eating me up to see him walking the streets. Hopefully he has seen his last day of freedom. I don't really personally care if he gets convicted of one or both, but I hope for the Savio and Cales families he gets convicted for both so they can have closure.

IMO

Drew Peterson's mouth could compound his troubles

Drew Peterson might not take the stand if he goes to trial on charges alleging he killed his third wife, but his words could still play a big role as prosecutors try to put him away.

The former police officer, facing arraignment Monday on first-degree murder charges in the 2004 drowning death of ex-wife Kathleen Savio, has never shied from the media that has followed his every move since his fourth wife, Stacy, vanished in 2007 and he became a suspect in Savio's death.

In fact, he's seemed to relish the spotlight, often giving reporters a joke or smart-aleck remark — like smiling and calling his handcuffs "bling" when he was led to his first court appearance earlier this month.

And that, attorneys say, could be one of Peterson's biggest problems.

"If one wife goes missing and (another) wife is dead, those aren't usually the subject of jokes," said Roy Black, a defense attorney whose clients have included Rush Limbaugh and William Kennedy Smith. "People are going to think this is a very bizarre person, who's more likely to have committed murder than someone who is in mourning."

more at: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iev-QaFql23MAy-W2Qh8vkc8VsKQD9884MVG0

Drew Peterson's mouth could compound his troubles

Drew Peterson might not take the stand if he goes to trial on charges alleging he killed his third wife, but his words could still play a big role as prosecutors try to put him away.

The former police officer, facing arraignment Monday on first-degree murder charges in the 2004 drowning death of ex-wife Kathleen Savio, has never shied from the media that has followed his every move since his fourth wife, Stacy, vanished in 2007 and he became a suspect in Savio's death.

In fact, he's seemed to relish the spotlight, often giving reporters a joke or smart-aleck remark — like smiling and calling his handcuffs "bling" when he was led to his first court appearance earlier this month.

And that, attorneys say, could be one of Peterson's biggest problems.

"If one wife goes missing and (another) wife is dead, those aren't usually the subject of jokes," said Roy Black, a defense attorney whose clients have included Rush Limbaugh and William Kennedy Smith. "People are going to think this is a very bizarre person, who's more likely to have committed murder than someone who is in mourning."

more at: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iev-QaFql23MAy-W2Qh8vkc8VsKQD9884MVG0

Thanks for sharing this! It's an article I had missed.

I read the letters Kathleen Savio wrote seeking, practically begging, for help.
She knew her life was in danger from Drew. Those letters alone should be enough to convict him for murdering her. Wow! Could other LE be charged or reprimanded in her death? The letters implicate other public servants in ignoring her pleas for help and helping cover up his relationship with Stacy when she was just 17. So sad.

I had no idea of the other suspicious disappearances and deaths of people who were close to his various wives and lovers. I hope LE reopens these cases and actually investigates them! It is puzzling that this monster's behavior has been ignored for so long!

Kathleen really spoke to us from the grave. I hope her family will get the justice they deserve. And I hope the very young, pretty girlfriend he has now will wake up. She has her life ahead of her & does not need to be mixed up with Drew.

This guy thinks he is so smart. From his years as a cop, he should know more than anyone that appearance, demeanor and actions go a long way in influencing those who have your fate in their hands.

Yet he has done the opposite of what normal people would consider reasonable. And he's done it over and over again. He thinks that he is so far more intelligent than everyone else that the rules simply don't apply to him. Yet they do.

I have felt all along that his words will come back and bite him in the rear end. Can't wait for the trial; bring it on.

....after further reflection, none of us really have any idea which case is stronger, or even if either case is strong or weak. We only know some of the facts and have no idea if that's all the facts that LE has or if it is only a drop in the bucket.

I'm just glad that they feel that have enough arrest him and that they should at least have enough to put him to trial. I pray their case is strong on both accounts, but really, who knows until we hear what is presented.

I was certainly one of the ones complaining it was taking too long and that they had enough to arrest....so why were they waiting. Having D.P. behind bars has certainly calmed my emotions. It was eating me up to see him walking the streets. Hopefully he has seen his last day of freedom. I don't really personally care if he gets convicted of one or both, but I hope for the Savio and Cales families he gets convicted for both so they can have closure.

IMO

Very true. Some questions I have are:

DrewP and Stacey's home.... was any blood evidence found?
What did the kids say they heard or saw?
Any signs of gunpowder or cleaning with bleach in the home?
Did LE find evidence of DrewP stalking Stacey in the days before her disappearance?
What made TM so certain that what he carried out of the home was Stacey's body? Did he see her remains, was it DrewP's words or was it just an impression?

Kathleen.... was her will tested and did the handwriting match to other of her writing?
What does the son who is estranged from DrewP have to say about her murder?
Can LE prove witness tampering in the coroner's inquest, did they find any evidence of official misconduct in the initial investigation and determination?

How much did Len/Ashley really get on tape in DrewP's own words?

Very true. Some questions I have are:

DrewP and Stacey's home.... was any blood evidence found?
What did the kids say they heard or saw?
Any signs of gunpowder or cleaning with bleach in the home?
Did LE find evidence of DrewP stalking Stacey in the days before her disappearance?
What made TM so certain that what he carried out of the home was Stacey's body? Did he see her remains, was it DrewP's words or was it just an impression?

Kathleen.... was her will tested and did the handwriting match to other of her writing?
What does the son who is estranged from DrewP have to say about her murder?
Can LE prove witness tampering in the coroner's inquest, did they find any evidence of official misconduct in the initial investigation and determination?

How much did Len/Ashley really get on tape in DrewP's own words?

I'd like to add:
  • Had DP bought any cement or quicklime? These reactions (setting up, or lime + organic material) could also make the blue barrel warm.
  • Were there any recent purchases of quantities of Drano? Could DP have swiped any Drano or other corrosives from the evidence lockups? (left from meth lab busts)
  • Have the aeration ponds/catchment ponds/borrow ponds (near the highways) been checked?
  • Was there any road construction from the new stretch of I-355 or any area streets occuring around the day TM helped move the body?

I've been really curious about the state's motion for the judge to recuse himself. Is the defense giving us a hint?

Abood says there are several criteria required in order to satisfy the substitution motion filed by the State's Attorney. He says case law suggests that the mere assertion of prejudice against the State is all that is required and then the burden shifts to the Defendant opposing the Motion to establish that the Motion was made for some improper purpose.

"The State's Attorney will not be able to show, or establish, actual prejudice on the part of Judge Schoenstedt, or that there was a previous relationship between Drew Peterson and the Judge. Both claims are wholly without merit," says Abood.
http://www.prnewschannel.com/absolutenm/templates/?a=1404&z=4

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage