FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
death to all sex offenders!!! it should be an automatic death sentence to any pervert who even harms a child! :furious:

The boyfriend is Sean Patton. He lives with them (somer and her siblings, and her mom) and since her mom works during the day, Sean is home with them when they get home from school. On Monday, when Somer didn't return home but her brother and sister did, Sean sent them out to look for Somer. After they looked for about an hour, Somers mom called home to check on the kids (at about 4pm) and Sean told her Somer didn't return home. She then rushed home, flagged down a police officer and filed a missing persons report.

I have seen most reports and this is the first that I heard that there was an adult at home when the children got home.

Is there a link to this information?

I am a long time lurker that never posts. I eventually joined after the Caylee Anthony case, then we had the Haleigh Cummings case ect...

Anyways, I feel compelled to post for little Somer. I just can not stand that this happened again. The treatment of children in this world is out of control and something has to be done to prevent this from happening again.

All too often, I feel, as a society we are to reactive. I think we need to be more proactive to protect not only ourselves but our children and neighbors.

RIP Baby Girl!

Cam, GrannyL and all others who went to search....thank you for all you did to try to find this little angel and bring her home. I am saddened that it ended this way - the only good thing is that she was found quickly and her family can lay her to rest in the proper way.
Hugs to all of you!

FYI: Another news conference at 6PM announced by firstcoast news on the live coverage!

ABC: Cops Searching for Missing Fla. Girl Find a Body
Police searching for missing Florida girl find a child's body in landfill; not yet identified
ORANGE PARK, Fla. October 21, 2009 (AP)
<snipped>
Clay County, Fla., Sheriff Rick Beseler first said the body was a female, but then corrected himself and said he couldn't yet confirm the gender. The parents of Somer Thompson, who has been missing since Monday, have been notified.

The body was found by Clay County detectives who followed garbage trucks from the girl's neighborhood to Folkston, Ga., just north of the Florida state line.

Beseler said investigators searched through 100 tons of garbage before finding the partially covered body. He did not give any other details about the discovery.

Article:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8877925

:angel:

Is it standard operation to search a landfill wen someone comes up missing? I can't think of a case where they have searched a landfill within the first 3 days. I wonder if someone is talking? Are they still interviewing the blue car people?

Hmmm... interesting that one has the TIME to update ones website at A TIME LIKE THIS!

Good grief.
Unless LE instructed them to do so to keep the wolves at bay.

ETA: In a situation like this I think it is very difficult to try to second guess why people do what they do. Unless you have been in the same position we can only wonder why and hope that it is being done for a legit reason.

Maz

:cow:

Patty - I posted a link a few pages back or on one of the other threads from AMW:

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/case.cfm?id=68853

Their mother's friend, Sean Patton, was at the house and asked the children where Somer was and they said she walked off.

Sean and the kids searched for Somer for an hour. when Somer's mother called, Sean told her Somer had not made it home.

She left work immediately and stopped at the Sheriff's Office on the way home to report her daughter missing.

They showed where the dogs lost the scent, but the handler said that scents can be lost from heat, car exhaust, etc, that the scent is kind of like smoke...She also said in the more rural areas, the scent will linger longer.

This makes me so, so sad.

Is it standard operation to search a landfill wen someone comes up missing? I can't think of a case where they have searched a landfill within the first 3 days. I wonder if someone is talking? Are they still interviewing the blue car people?
in the sandra cantu case they did

Child's body found in landfill
Updated: Wednesday, 21 Oct 2009, 5:29 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 21 Oct 2009, 4:23 PM EDT
<snipped>
Authorities searched two landfills for a body in connection with missing north Florida girl Somer Thompson. Officials say they found the body of a small child in a landfill in the Chesser Island landfill in Folkston Georgia but have not yet identified the remains.

A positive identification of the body has not been made yet but Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler said the parents of Somer Thompson have been notified. The FBI is working with investigators on the case.

*NOTE: Video Report Included In Article!

Chesser Island landfill in Folkston Georgia
http://www.wm.com/Templates/FAC5034/contacts.asp

Article:
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/northeast_florida/102109_body_found_in_landfill

:angel:

Update from presser:

Body has not been positively identified.
FBI handling forensic examination.
Criminal investigation underway.
SA office intimately involved.
Hopeful tonight/tomorrow positive identification will be made.
Going to see mother after presser.

I think that searching the landfill was standard. It's done in a lot of cases, within the first three days, read back through the threads and the forums. They have said they will have to remove 100 tons of trash, that is what they are working in...the ambulance makes sense, just in case.

Now saying, positive ID possible by the morning (sorry that was typo, fixed now.).

Diena is not there. Per First Coast News

PRESSER RECAP 6pm

Sheriff says still do not have any kind of positive ID on the body.

Clay County sheriffs office detectives and FBI are handling forensics.

Says we have gone from a search and recovery mode to a criminal investigation.

They are working closely with state attorneys office and the state attorney is closely involved.

Says they just spoke with Diena (Somers mom) and they are going over to see her after this presser.

Thanks fellow LE agencies for all the great effort and millions of dollars worth of assets loaned. Also thanks the public who has been "absolutely outstanding".

State attorney Angela Cory speaking now.. offering condolences to the family, says they will continue to work within the boundary of the law, says a lot of "good people are working hard" on this investigation, says they are limited in what they can tell. Commends the sheriff as well as LE and the citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jazz1391