GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been right up on that fence with you for quite a while now, southern_comfort.

Your point about the lack of an emphatic proclamation of innocence certainly is an interesting one. I know I've seen that brought up time and again in the media site comments, etc.

With Buford, I've always thought that pre-trial table-banging just might not be his style. He might get to that in front of a jury, not sure. Hogue now -- I'm not sure about him. Maybe he is about to start fist-banging...? Couldn't really detect that direction in the little public statements we have heard from him though... .

I think that, especially with overwhelming focus in recent years on some high-profile cases, defense attorneys have a difficult audience for pre-trial public statements. The public is primed to mistrust them, no matter what approach they use. Ultimately, of course, pre-trial perception is not really the main focus of their duties ... but guess it DOES matter, in one way and another.

I've had the feeling (just a deep hunch, not something I can explain through logic), from the very beginning, that there was going to be a huge twist and shocker somewhere in this -- and, of course, one could say Lauren's death and the aftermath has been nothing but a series of twists and shockers! But after every one of them I have sort of asked myself: Was that it, what I've been expecting? And somehow I keep having the feeling there is more to come.... I don't know what (if anything) "it" will be -- maybe a cascade of the sort of damning evidence you mention. I just don't know.

I totally agree that pretrial perception is not a primary duty, and I keep reminding myself that depending on circumstances, silence by the defense at this point could be the wisest course of action. Otherwise, with the din on the other side proclaiming his guilt from every rooftop, I might have been knocked off the fence by now.

I have the same feeling about a real shocker coming - but also can't factually or even logically support it at this point. So much doesn't make sense and is unknown, and the various fact patterns that could theoretically fill in the blanks are bizarre. I could come up with some theories, and I do sometimes privately, but they are purely speculation.

Backwoods, I guess my mind often wanders when not a lot is going on, and often times as regards this case to a not very good place. My feeling is since we have had no substantive news about the case lately ,and since Frank Hogue has shown up on the scene, we are about to get some. Same thoughts I have written about before pretty much . There is so much we do not know, so either the DA's office is doing the best job ever of not showing their hand or perhaps they just don't have anything. My thoughts are we will find out pretty soon one way or the other, could be wrong and we may have to wait until trial. Hogue is very good, as is Buford. I am not exactly sure how he interjected himself into the case, if he was first choice, was contacted by Buford or the McDaniel family, but I do know he took a special interest when it became a death penalty case. He is very passionate while Buford is very professional. They make a pretty good team. Lots of things about this case trouble me , did MPD just think when they came upon McD that they had gotten their man to the exclusion of pursuit of any other suspects ? Seems that way to me . Why would an apparently bright (although definitely odd) fellow about to graduate from law school kill and dismember his next door neighbor ? Casey Anthony case has elevated the bar as far as stupid juries are concerned, but if I can't answer those questions I bet this jury wont be able to either, and that equals reasonable doubt. I've rambled enough. Sorry. All thoughts as always JMHO and I welcome anybody's POV that can make me feel better about JusticeforLauren

My sentiments exactly. Thanks for sharing

Dismayed to see Lauren's thread on the second page ... Bumping

When there's a lull in a case, the thread often drifts away to the back pages where it's forgotten. Because Lauren's thread has been quiet lately, other threads with more activity had moved ahead pushing this thread to the second page in the index. Knox posted so the thread would be bumped up to the first page again. Thanks, Knox. :)

From Macon's television station 13WMAZ, coverage (story and video) of the Lauren Giddings Classic softball tournament at Agnes Scott College on Saturday:

Softball Tournament Honors Lauren Giddings

Family and friends of Mercer Law grad Lauren Giddings packed the stands for a memorial softball tournament Saturday. ...
... Giddings' mother threw out the first pitch ...

read more and see video at: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/170917/175/Softball-Tournament-Honors-Lauren-Giddings

I feel somewhat voyeuristic, but every so often I visit Lauren's Moms facebook page. She has kept it open to the public and all of her photo's are also viewable. Beautiful memories of Lauren are posted and shared there. I have so much respect for her family, they are truly grace and dignity personified.

Lauren was a light in this world which never should have been extinguished. I had hoped her family would be spared the experience of a trial, but I guess that's not going to happen. I still cannot wrap my head around what happened to her and why.

What a nice sweet sentiment, Knox. I agree with you, this just doesn't make any sense , the absolute brutality of it and how Lauren's life was horribly cut short right as she was about to step out into the world with her law degree . I think that is why it resonates so much with people. And Mrs. Giddings' faith is also beyond my comprehension. I am certainly not that strong in my beliefs. If something like that were to happen to me I would certainly question God. I admire her very much.

13WMAZ.com's facebook page is reporting that skeletal remains were found behind Walnut Creek Plaza on Gray Highway today (per coroner Leon Jones). No link up on any website I can find yet...

This could be completely unrelated as no other info has been given, just found it interesting. I know we've speculated the Gray Hwy Wal Mart was probably the one where McD was caught on video.

Here we go:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/171188/153/Skeletel-Remains-Found-in-East-Macon

This is less than two miles from Mercer Law School/Barristers Hall. Again, it could be completely unrelated. I just know we've all been hoping for the recovery of the rest of Lauren's remains.

I'm hoping that these are Lauren's remains so her family can put her to rest. However.. And I don't mean to offend anyone.. But this is a sketchy area. I'm not surprised at all that remains were found there. There is a lot of gang activity in that area.

ETA: now they are saying it might have been a homeless person living in the woods. That may indicate the body had not been dismembered. They don't know if it was a man or woman.

http://m.macon.com/macon/db_284311/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Z5euRmZS

A skull, ribs, and leg bones were discovered. I'm going to assume it wasn't Lauren based on this. :(

Macon Mom, thank you, but why can't this be LG? Scattered remains throughout woods, her head was decapitated, so it could be her skull, and her torso was unmentionable what was done to it, so why couldn't there be her rib and part of pelvis and part of leg in woods? This does make sense to me, and I really hope it is her. There would probably be no evidence left now, but clearly this could be her remains.

To LG and in her honor, please do not read what I wrote above as grotesque. I hated even typing it.

So far, there's nothing to rule out Lauren. I know the chances are slim, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Giddings family.

FWIW, this article states "a rib".

Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones says authorities recovered a skull, as well as rib and leg bones scattered in the area Monday afternoon.
http://www.therepublic.com/view/sto...9897ec40474d/GA--Skeletal-Remains-Discovered/A different description here:
The remains included a skull and parts of a pelvis.
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Skeletal-Remains-Found-In-East-Macon-141479433.html

What parts did they find of her body?? Was it just the torso?

Macon Mom, thank you, but why can't this be LG? Scattered remains throughout woods, her head was decapitated, so it could be her skull, and her torso was unmentionable what was done to it, so why couldn't there be her rib and part of pelvis and part of leg in woods? This does make sense to me, and I really hope it is her. There would probably be no evidence left now, but clearly this could be her remains.

To LG and in her honor, please do not read what I wrote above as grotesque. I hated even typing it.

I'm just going on the assumption that if they found a rib (or ribs) and pelvis (or part of a pelvis) that it wasn't her since her torso has been found. I suppose it's still possible that it's her, I just feel like its not.

Fwiw, on the radio this morning they said police suspected that it was a homeless person because they found a camp nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675