GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting that sick feeling again that McDaniel will walk free on technicalities and rumors of the investigation being botched and evidence gathered incorrectly. I hope I am wrong.

Ugh, if that happens I may implode.
Sharing your sick feeling, Agent Frank.

Then I will pray for his honor's speedy recovery.

Regarding your other post, which do you think is the correct version? I'm inclined to think Buford responded to Brown, "No, sir. Not at this time." It would've been a reasonable request about an important issue. Why would the judge refuse? Especially this particular judge. On the other hand, I believe Buford and Hogue would have been square on their response to the question of competency before they entered the courtroom and played their best poker face in front of Winters. JMO

bbm: I guess it's possible, if the judge is out for a while, that one of the two retired judges that will be filling in for him (per the article) could preside over an arraignment.

On the other issue: Since I found the FOX24 report, I agree with you -- that makes the most sense to me. (I have to admit that, until I ran across that version, I just took the other report to be accurate. Figured I just didn't know enough about this type of hearing and the protocol/agenda at one to know how things would/should run -- though I DID wonder why the judge would ask an attorney a question about any competency issue and then promptly cut him off short, as the first account I read indicated!)

I sort of figure now that this was not a real involved piece of business, pretty straightforward -- I expect Buford turned to Hogue for confirmation of what he was about to answer just as a matter of course, then gave his answer. With the other account, I saw/heard some comments (and it appeared to me) that Buford kind of fumbled a bit here -- but with the FOX24 version I think that's not really the case. I think that, in this case, all ears have been so pricked to catch any mention of mental issues that media/some others might have been primed to make a bit more of the actual exchange than was warranted. (JMO -- and, as I said, I haven't viewed the video of the hearing.)

That said, I'm pretty sure the reference is to competency to stand trial only -- not any real clue to whether any insanity defense (for the time of a crime) will be attempted. I agree with MaconMom that SM probably wouldn't have appeared as "with it" if there was going to be a competency-to-stand-trial issue raised "at this time". IMO, there are some possible circumstances that might possibly raise one later (and could also play into an eventual actual insanity defense) -- I am thinking here of something along the lines of some type of periodic psychosis, for example. (Not saying I think this is the way it WILL go, just that it possibly could.)

I thought I was reading it wrong, because I thought Hogue was the one that wanted the judge's assignment questioned. Sounds like the defense and the prosecution are both questioning it ??

AgentFrank, early on with this issue I thought it was a defense one, too, but I'm thinking now this has been from the prosecution all along. Kinda seems like we heard about it right on the heels of all the possible issues the defense mentioned at the hearing and it seemed at first to just sort of blend on in. Now it seems to me more like the prosecution firing back! (Not really -- just the timing makes it look sort of that way. I do realize that it is the responsibility of both the defense and the prosecution to get any and all of their possible "issues" on the record.)

For a change of pace from the trial-doings talk, here is something -- Lauren's undergraduate alma mater is honoring her:

Agnes Scott To Honor Slain Alumna With Softball Tournament

Agnes Scott College plans to hold a softball tournament in March to honor Laura Giddings, a 2006 graduate and college softball player who was brutally murdered in Macon last June. ...
(hope this source will correct this quoted part to get her name right, though!)
read more at: http://decatur.patch.com/articles/softball-3ac9b27f

Thanks for that, Backwoods. It's so impressive to see the way Lauren's family, friends, coworkers, classmates- everyone who loved her- is dealing with this terrible crime.
Talk about a class act all around. I have a feeling Lauren would be very, very, very proud.

Getting that sick feeling again that McDaniel will walk free on technicalities and rumors of the investigation being botched and evidence gathered incorrectly. I hope I am wrong.

Just scanning over some new posts. WHY do you think SMD could walk? Other than the obvious we've worried about early on. Thanks

Nothing other than the obvious, or maybe its' not so obvious , but its the things we don't know that bother me , that we haven't heard about any "treasure trove" of direct evidence , in fact, still haven't ever heard what , if anything ever came back from Quantico, or when. And they had over 100 pieces of evidence. Well, that plus all these local rumors.

Nothing other than the obvious, or maybe its' not so obvious , but its the things we don't know that bother me , that we haven't heard about any "treasure trove" of direct evidence , in fact, still haven't ever heard what , if anything ever came back from Quantico, or when. And they had over 100 pieces of evidence. Well, that plus all these local rumors.

UGH! No Kidding! I've had that premature feeling from the get-go. Everything they want to use is so minor in regards to this case, the big picture maybe more but what will the defense allow in court. Reminds me of Casey Anthony case. Much evidence didnt' even make it to court and they had more than this case has it seems! well, the one consolation is that "what goes around, comes around" but I pray this trial is fair, Caylee's case wasn't fair to her

new at macon.com

Extremely bright and extraordinarily ... curious’: Records note McDaniel’s skills, ties to Bibb DA’s office, judges

...McDaniel’s application, complete with his employment history, job references, letters of recommendation and college transcripts, were obtained in a recent open-records request by The Telegraph.

The documents, 24 pages in all, shed light on some of the connections -- peripheral as they may be -- that McDaniel has to the inner circles of the local legal system that could send him to death row. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/02/07/1894770/hammer-extremely-bright-and-extraordinarily.html

A further bit from the article I linked above, quoting the letter sent to SM in response to his application to become a Bibb County Superior Court law clerk:

“Your application and documents for the position of Law Clerk with the Bibb County Superior Court have been reviewed by the Superior Court Judges,” the letter began. “They have selected another candidate.”
http://www.macon.com/2012/02/07/1894770/hammer-extremely-bright-and-extraordinarily.html

Whoa -- "Your application and documents have been reviewed by the Superior Court Judges ..."!

Now this is getting really thick. Wonder if all the judges actually review the applications!! Not that I think the simple review of a job application would necessarily be reason for a judge to recuse him/herself (though I certainly think the judge for whom SM had clerked earlier was right to recuse) ... but wow. No wonder AgentFrankLundy reported to us a while back that none of the judges "wanted" this case. Things could sure get sticky.

A further bit from the article I linked above, quoting the letter sent to SM in response to his application to become a Bibb County Superior Court law clerk:

http://www.macon.com/2012/02/07/1894770/hammer-extremely-bright-and-extraordinarily.html

Whoa -- "Your application and documents have been reviewed by the Superior Court Judges ..."!

Now this is getting really thick. Wonder if all the judges actually review the applications!! Not that I think the simple review of a job application would necessarily be reason for a judge to recuse him/herself (though I certainly think the judge for whom SM had clerked earlier was right to recuse) ... but wow. No wonder AgentFrankLundy reported to us a while back that none of the judges "wanted" this case. Things could sure get sticky.

I think they all have a right to question anyone on the case in Macon at this point. JMO

Very possibly pertinent to this case: Looks like Georgia's Governor Deal has made a choice to fill the empty slot on the roster of Macon Judicial Circuit judges:

Deal chooses Macon lawyer to replace Christian as Superior Court judge

Gov. Nathan Deal has chosen Macon attorney Philip T. Raymond III to be the next Macon Judicial Circuit judge.

Raymond, 58, is a partner at Macon’s Shaffer, Raymond and Dalton law firm.

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/02/09/189...lawyer-to-replace.html#storylink=omni_popular

macon.com now has a longer article up on the Superior Court judge just appointed (to fill the vacancy left by the retirement of Judge Martha Christian), for those who are interested:

Macon lawyer named Superior Court judge

... A date hasn’t been set for when Raymond will be sworn in and receive his black judge’s robe.

His seat on the bench won’t come up for election until 2014. The winner of the 2014 election will serve a four-year term said Michael O’Sullivan, a spokesman for the Georgia Secretary of State’s Elections Division. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/02/10/1899111/macon-lawyer-named-superior-court.html

Good Morning Sleuthers ! It's been pretty slow around here so I have been trying to catch up on what kind of judge we are dealing with here with Judge Brown and stumbled across this nugget that I am not sure I have seen referenced before. Not that I am trying to connect any dots or anything, but I just don't see Judge Brown "appointing himself" to handle this case is doing the prosecution any favors. If Hogue and Buford start into Lauren's background as Swamp Douche Barbie with the Hash Hounds and her membership in that wild young lawyer group in Atlanta , well all I am saying is that they are going to throw as much **** on the wall as they can and hope it sticks. Judge Brown had his surgery this week, at Duke University ,and by all reports it was successful. Not sure when or even if he will be back to adjudicate the case. I have a hunch pretty sure next time we hear or read anything about this case it will be game changing big news http://feministing.com/2008/05/15/georgia_rape_case_dismissed_be/

Good Morning Sleuthers ! It's been pretty slow around here so I have been trying to catch up on what kind of judge we are dealing with here with Judge Brown and stumbled across this nugget that I am not sure I have seen referenced before. Not that I am trying to connect any dots or anything, but I just don't see Judge Brown "appointing himself" to handle this case is doing the prosecution any favors. If Hogue and Buford start into Lauren's background as Swamp Douche Barbie with the Hash Hounds and her membership in that wild young lawyer group in Atlanta , well all I am saying is that they are going to throw as much **** on the wall as they can and hope it sticks. Judge Brown had his surgery this week, at Duke University ,and by all reports it was successful. Not sure when or even if he will be back to adjudicate the case. I have a hunch pretty sure next time we hear or read anything about this case it will be game changing big news http://feministing.com/2008/05/15/georgia_rape_case_dismissed_be/

Sounds like something out of Law & Order. Geez. :waitasec:

AgentLundy, that sickens me. Only in back *advertiser censored* religious right wing GA would that happen. Oh I hope they get that judge off the case. I say all this because I live in GA, and I believe in God, but i do live in a gray world at times, where everything isnt black or white. I am not a virgin, and someone could still "rape" me, even though I have had sex before. Oh, and im female. So sad. To anyone reading this, you would have to read the article AgentLundy posted up above.

Whoa, now that is disturbing. Also confusing -- I would really like to know the back story (and the later results) here, a little better than the linked site, perhaps, relates.

The note at the end of the 2008 item linked by AgentFrank reads:

As noted by some of the comments in response to my posting on a Georgia state court case, I want to confirm that (name removed) was charged with sexual battery, a civil charge, rather than criminal rape. (name removed) was not charged with criminal rape, and has furthermore not been found guilty of civil sexual battery.
read more at: http://feministing.com/2008/05/15/georgia_rape_case_dismissed_be/

So, is there more to the story than maybe is related ...?

Also, the item states the civil case resulted from events "a month later" than the time of when consensual sex allegedly was happening and she asked him to stop. What's up with that, I wonder? (It doesn't seem to say.)

Although, even IF this is not quite as cut-and-dried as the linked site makes it sound, I STILL can't see Brown drawing out the alleged victim's sexual history in direct opposition to the state's law...!! How could he get away with that? (OK, I know: He's a judge.) Is the fact that this was a civil and not a criminal charge the difference? Just don't know enough about the laws or the case to know.

Very interesting find, AgentFrank. You're right, this could raise a ruckus -- and perhaps it should.

AgentLundy, that sickens me. Only in back *advertiser censored* religious right wing GA would that happen. Oh I hope they get that judge off the case. I say all this because I live in GA, and I believe in God, but i do live in a gray world at times, where everything isnt black or white. I am not a virgin, and someone could still "rape" me, even though I have had sex before. Oh, and im female. So sad. To anyone reading this, you would have to read the article AgentLundy posted up above.

I can't agree that such things only happen in Georgia, justiceforlauren, but I sure hear you on all the rest.

Haven't found it on a site I'm sure I can link yet, but apparently the case we have just been discussing occurred at Mercer University in Macon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz