GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time Lauren's family would hire a lawyer would be if they were going to pursue a civil case. The D.A. prosecutes the case, so they don't need to hire anyone. McD could have a public defender, but chose his attorneys instead.

Of course, with high profile cases or issues, some people do hire attorneys as "representatives" for statements, etc., but that is not really the case here.

Kate, do you mean private detective perhaps ? They can hire whoever they want, I do not think they could hire a private lawyer to help with the murder prosecution, but I assume they can and will for the civil wrongful death trial that has been discussed (if there ever will be one; remember OJ was found guilty of that , and any money he makes goes to the Goldman and Brown families now) It might be a little too late for Lauren's family to hire a private detective, but it would not be a bad idea, in my humble opinion. Buford's PI is obviously already on to some of the sloppiness of the police investigation; contamination of the crime scene and evidence chain of custody problems; he will use all of that and everything else to try to get his client off. In response to some earlier posts, I do not think LE knows what instrument was used to decapitate Lauren or that would have been in the grand jury true bill indictment, could be wrong of course. And "chilling" is a good description for McD. I thought the exact same thing when I tried to make eye contact with him at his earlier hearing.
It does sicken me to think that he looked to be enjoying this ,like it's all just a game to him, like the ultimate law school final exam.

Thanks

SInce the dogs were involved, possible reason for interest in downstairs apartment, however, sheer experience and the fact it was vacant and so nearby would likely be a reason for interest adn the fact she was dismembered, many bodies are stored in coolers and freezers etc. I do wonder if there was any visible traces or if power was still on.

I wondered if the power was still on as well, tomkat.

Prosecutors file motion in McDaniel case asking whether right judge is on the case
By AMY
LEIGH WOMACK - awomack@macon.com

Bibb County prosecutors filed a motion Thursday asking a judge to consider whether the death-penalty case against Stephen McDaniel was assigned to the right judge.

In the motion, prosecutors wrote that they have “concerns that the order for assignment of cases has not been properly followed.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2012/01/26/1881007/prosecutors-file-motion-in-mcdaniel.html

Kate, do you mean private detective perhaps ? They can hire whoever they want, I do not think they could hire a private lawyer to help with the murder prosecution, but I assume they can and will for the civil wrongful death trial that has been discussed (if there ever will be one; remember OJ was found guilty of that , and any money he makes goes to the Goldman and Brown families now) It might be a little too late for Lauren's family to hire a private detective, but it would not be a bad idea, in my humble opinion. Buford's PI is obviously already on to some of the sloppiness of the police investigation; contamination of the crime scene and evidence chain of custody problems; he will use all of that and everything else to try to get his client off. In response to some earlier posts, I do not think LE knows what instrument was used to decapitate Lauren or that would have been in the grand jury true bill indictment, could be wrong of course. And "chilling" is a good description for McD. I thought the exact same thing when I tried to make eye contact with him at his earlier hearing.
It does sicken me to think that he looked to be enjoying this ,like it's all just a game to him, like the ultimate law school final exam.

Yeah I've been thinking, good practice and since he (allegedly) is a master negotiator/manipulator (as appears according to SOL posts) he is probably QUITE enjoying this. Histrionics shining. Reminds me of that Casey Anthony case, she always tried to look so involved in her case, sorting papers, filing papers, as if she were someone important, instead of a murderer. SICK indeed. So there is something mentally wrong, whether his atty can use it or not, someone like this................SOMETHING IS WRONG. I do so feel for Lauren's mother and father. (family too)

I found this interesting. Obviously Buford had something to say about SMD being competent (or not). If they are going to try to say he's mentally disturbed, why would they have him show up in a three-piece suit looking alert and taking notes? Other than the crazy hair, he looks intelligent and competent.

On another note, I don't know why his lawyers don't recommend that he cuts his hair (or, why he doesnt want to). I don't think the big poof is helping him at all .. That's one of the first things people talk about.. It's unfair but it certainly makes him look a little crazy without even considering the evidence.

haha! I just rambled on about that issue in prior post. Frankly, I think his eyes darting or staring straight ahead are more damming.

Interesting statements from K MANN. Did it sound like she has doubts he's guilty, or just trying to present herself as being fair and honorable. Of course we all have a right to a fair trial. SmD did seem smug

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...nse-team-challenges-searches-in-giddings-case

I think that the family has been advised by the prosecution to be careful what they say to the media. The defense is already talking about change of venue, the prosecution will likely try everything they can to keep the case where it is. The family must be careful not to taint the jury pool. IMHOO

Here is an update from macon.com/Macon's The Telegraph, giving further details relating to the judge-assignment question:

Prosecutors raise questions about judge assigned to McDaniel case

... The rotation begins with the most senior judge. If a judge has an active death penalty case, the assignment may pass to the next judge in line based on seniority, according to the order.

If all judges have a pending capital case, the case being assigned goes to the most senior judge with the least number of death cases, according to the order. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/01/27/1881262/prosecutors-raise-questions-about.html

Interesting statements from K MANN. Did it sound like she has doubts he's guilty, or just trying to present herself as being fair and honorable. Of course we all have a right to a fair trial. SmD did seem smug

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...nse-team-challenges-searches-in-giddings-case
I didn't hear any doubts. Lauren's family has been a class act throughout the tragedy, so nothing new about that. Lately, KM seems to be acting as the family spokesperson. She's very gracious, and I'm glad she's there to serve as a buffer for Mr. and Mrs. Giddings.

Agent Frank, can LGs family hire a private lawyer such as McD did? And McD disgusts me as he copiously takes notes and looks smug and fat, just as was thought. If he gets off, I will personally head down South and protest the entire justice system. All of it.

bbm: justiceforlauren, I did a Google search on "private attorney" +"assist the prosecution" (and you could add +Georgia to narrow it down state-wise) and did find a number of references to this having been done at some times in some places, with the prosecutor's agreement, of course -- but also found a good many references to the practice being challenged (mostly because, it seemed to me at my quick glance, of questions of ethics brought up by the financial incentive a private attorney would have). Didn't have time to dig too deeply myself, but thought you might want to run that or a similar search and read up on it.

Also, as you probably know, if conflicts of interest should be proven (which I really don't expect), there are circumstances under which a special prosecutor might be appointed (but, as I said, I personally don't look for that to happen).

I didn't hear any doubts. Lauren's family has been a class act throughout the tragedy, so nothing new about that. Lately, KM seems to be acting as the family spokesperson. She's very gracious, and I'm glad she's there to serve as a buffer for Mr. and Mrs. Giddings.

Just wondered if there was something to be read between the lines, if at all. The whole family has been beyond gracious. It's remarkable, their forgiveness and non judgemental attitude as well, towards SmD especially and their understanding of what his family is going through, as themselves. At any rate, KM is doing a great job as spokesperson IMO.

This was interesting. I know it's been discussed about the Ocmulgee cleanup, but didnt' know all the details. (some below)

The 345 participants in the 2011 Ocmulgee Alive! are nearly 10 times the amount of volunteers who worked the first event seven years ago..........
The event was the ninth largest of the 224 Rivers Alive events held throughout Georgia in 2011.

as primary sponsors, as well as volunteers from the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail, the Ocmulgee River Initiative, the Georgia Wilderness Society, Mercer University, and others

http://maconwater11.plexusweb.net/n...ease-so-too-does-the-impact-of-Ocmulgee-Alive

new at macon.com:

Stephen McDaniel’s arraignment postponed

Bibb County Superior Court Judge S. Phillip Brown is making preparations for heart surgery, meaning he will be off the bench for several weeks. ...

He was scheduled to preside over the Feb. 7 arraignment of Stephen McDaniel, the 26-year-old man accused in the slaying and dismemberment of 27-year-old Lauren Giddings. That hearing has now been postponed. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/02/03/1889945/mcdaniels-arraignment-postponed.html

Looks like, so far, no announcement of a new date for the arraignment.

I found this interesting. Obviously Buford had something to say about SMD being competent (or not). If they are going to try to say he's mentally disturbed, why would they have him show up in a three-piece suit looking alert and taking notes? Other than the crazy hair, he looks intelligent and competent.

On another note, I don't know why his lawyers don't recommend that he cuts his hair (or, why he doesnt want to). I don't think the big poof is helping him at all .. That's one of the first things people talk about.. It's unfair but it certainly makes him look a little crazy without even considering the evidence.

Catching up on some of the coverage of the hearing that I missed, I noticed that FOX24 reported the exchange about the competency issue differently than did 13WMAZ:

Fox24's version:

When asked by Judge Brown if there was an issue with the defendant's competency in the case, Buford asked for a second to turn and discuss the response with Hogue, and then turned to Judge Brown and said "no sir, not at this time."
see at link: http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...dural-Hearing-on-Murder-Charge-138048783.html

I believe 13WMAZ attributed the "no not at this time" to the judge (that is, the judge telling Buford that no, he couldn't have a few moments to discuss with co-counsel)...? Wonder which is more accurate. In years past I covered a few court proceedings and found that in some courtrooms it can be very difficult to hear.

ETA: I guess some of you who have been able to watch the video of the hearing might know for sure about the exchange...but I haven't been able to view it.

new at macon.com:

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/02/03/1889945/mcdaniels-arraignment-postponed.html

Looks like, so far, no announcement of a new date for the arraignment.

Then I will pray for his honor's speedy recovery.

Regarding your other post, which do you think is the correct version? I'm inclined to think Buford responded to Brown, "No, sir. Not at this time." It would've been a reasonable request about an important issue. Why would the judge refuse? Especially this particular judge. On the other hand, I believe Buford and Hogue would have been square on their response to the question of competency before they entered the courtroom and played their best poker face in front of Winters. JMO

Getting that sick feeling again that McDaniel will walk free on technicalities and rumors of the investigation being botched and evidence gathered incorrectly. I hope I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz