Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't have a say in what ridiculous government study their tax dollars are used to fund. The way I see it, let's make those ridiculous government studies by taxpayer approval only and things like school security non-negotiable. The American people would have to adjust, but we're pretty flexible. Taxes wouldn't go up, because many of the completely stupid things our money finances now wouldn't happen anymore and the money currently used on that crap could be used to safeguard our kids and educators instead.

Would it be expensive to upgrade school safety? Yeah, we all know that. Is it worth it? Yeah, we all know that too. Is it more important to our future than say a $725,000 pizza machine (bought by the San Jose school district and now basically used a few times a year) or 100 MILLION bucks spent on unused airline tickets for government employees (refunds were never sought on many of these). The National Science Foundation (federally funded) spends tax dollars on things like how Farmville affects adult sexual relationships and how to build a laundry folding robot, but our schools (government funded) have a hope and a prayer to keep them safe?

No. Just no.

But no one has ever said that Adam disrupted anything while he was in school. In fact it was the opposite. Being socially awkward, shy, and very introverted is no reason to remove any child, imo. Aspergers is not even a mental illness.

There is nothing that I have read that has shown AL was ever a problem in school.

IMO

That's not my point. He had a number of staff assigned to protect his safety. That's expensive and it's also noticed by the other children which makes it disruptive. AL was removed from school and home schooled and I don't believe he received any educational oversight after that. AL did not, overnight, become a raging, violent maniac at age 20. A school's priority is supposed to be about learning, not just warehouses for socially awkward kids.

JMO

I'm going by the articles that have stated NL wouldn't allow visitors into the home, that she answered questions directed at her son and that he wouldn't do anything unless she directed him to do it. To me, that's "control." Adam had absolutely no independence as far as I can tell. No job, no school, no friends and no car apparently. He was isolated. All huge red flags in this case, imo.

Which family member said she refused to have vistors in her home. In fact iirc one of the family members said they had visited Nancy.

Now I have read she did not let workers/repairmen/vendors etc come in through her main entry. I dont find that odd at all. One said he did work in the basement so of course she would go around to the entrance closest to the basement to let him in that way.

She may have had highly valuable collectibles in her million plus dollar home or very expensive flooring where she wouldnt want a repairman walking on it with dirty boots.

I have never read she did not allow people she knew well into her home. Do you have a link MyBelle? If so, tia.

She was a single woman. She would not want strangers or repairman coming into the main level of her home for a myriad of reasons, imo.

IMO

I totally agree. I have to wonder if Asperger's was the diagnosis made by the family because they thought it was more socially acceptable.

JMO

His symptoms fit with Asperger. And while they might seek "genetic" clues, doesn't mean they will find them.

Which family member said she refused to have vistors in her home. In fact iirc one of the family members said they had visited Nancy.

Now I have read she did not let workers/repairmen/vendors etc come in through her main entry. I dont find that odd at all. One said he did work in the basement so of course she would go around to the entrance closest to the basement to let him in that way.

She may have had highly valuable collectibles in her million plus dollar home or very expensive flooring where she wouldnt want a repairman walking on it with dirty boots.

I have never read she did not allow people she knew well into her home. Do you have a link MyBelle? If so, tia.

She was a single woman. She would not want strangers or repairman coming into the main level of her home for a myriad of reasons, imo.

IMO

Some of the folks she socialized with away from the home said she didn't allow visitors to the home. I can't remember which articles perhaps someone else can recall.

IMO

Members of Nancy Lanza’s regular neighborhood dice game never got inside her home, either — not in 15 years of regular games. Rhonda Collens, a frequent player in the game, said that while the group’s weekly get-togethers moved from house to house, Nancy Lanza’s was always skipped.
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-15/local/35847413_1_guns-newtown-school-ernst-young

That's not my point. He had a number of staff assigned to protect his safety. That's expensive and it's also noticed by the other children which makes it disruptive. AL was removed from school and home schooled and I don't believe he received any educational oversight after that. AL did not, overnight, become a raging, violent maniac at age 20. A school's priority is supposed to be about learning, not just warehouses for socially awkward kids.

JMO

Who said the staff were paid to look after Adam alone? From what I read the teachers did their jobs and made sure he was not a victim of bullying. That is what teachers are suppose to do.

So you are saying socially awkward shy children dont deserve an education? I sincerly hope that is not what you are saying because our schools are filled with children that could fit that profile. How were they warehousing him. He was doing his work and extremely intelligent. In fact the students that have spoken out said he was the smartest.

The FBI states there will always be a trigger or event that happens close in time to when the suspect acts. So I dont know why you dont think he could have had a trigger or event that threw him into a rage around the time this happened. I believe it did. and the trigger was the knowledge his mom was seeking help for him by wanting to be conservator over him,imo.

This has nothing to do with Adam being in schools when he was a child. He was no longer in school and had gone on to pass college courses at the age of 16.

IMO

I totally agree. I have to wonder if Asperger's was the diagnosis made by the family because they thought it was more socially acceptable.

JMO

You think? I have been leaning this way for a while now. Waiting and wanting to hear from a "Dr" that actually diagnosed him with Asperger's.

They were supposed to be for the holidays, but finally on Friday, after hearing much begging, Charlotte Bacon's mother relented and let her wear the new pink dress and boots to school.

It was the last outfit the outgoing redhead would ever pick out. Charlotte's older brother, Guy, was also in the school but was not shot.

Her parents, JoAnn and Joel, had lived in Newtown for four or five years, JoAnn's brother John Hagen, of Nisswa, Minn., told Newsday.

"She was going to go some places in this world," Hagen told the newspaper. "This little girl could light up the room for anyone."

http://www.legacy.com/memorial-site...con&pid=161725969&ua=FHj7NtqAowz92dHy9iRmTA==

**Wipes the tears**.....I wish I could just tell Charlotte's family-that she is STILL lighting up the room...it is just a bigger room now. :(

The teacher was new.

In my school district, after Columbine we had a lockdown once a month.

Thank goodness we only had a couple incidents that turned out to be false alarms, but with that much training, it does become a little easier to act in a crisis.

I am NOT IMPLYING anything because this teacher was a true hero, but she may have totally freaked out and forgotten about the key and just thought about protecting the children.

PROTECT THE CHILDREN PROTECT THE CHILDREN her mind is screaming.

In my district, we had a code word for lockdown. When the principal came over the loudspeaker and said the code word, teachers knew what to do. In this situation, I don't think the principal had the chance to call for a lockdown. We've heard that the loudspeaker came on, and perhaps that's because she was getting ready to issue a lockdown, but was shot before she could. Instead, screams were broadcast over the loudspeaker and the teachers were just responding as best they could. More seasoned teachers may have realized that they needed to go into lockdown mode, but perhaps not everyone realized that as things apparently happened very quickly.
jmo

This makes sense but I could of sworn there was an article posted yesterday that the Pastor denied he said these things to his son.

You did. But just because he says he is not the one to say or repeat what his son has said, does not mean it is not true.

Thank you. I wasnt talking about neighbors though. Im talking about an article that close friends or family werent allowed in her home.

IMO
I'm not sure you'll find anyone closer to Nancy Lanza than neighbors who played bunco with her for a decade and a half.

Who said the staff were paid to look after Adam alone? From what I read the teachers did their jobs and made sure he was not a victim of bullying. That is what teachers are suppose to do.

So you are saying socially awkward shy children dont deserve an education? I sincerly hope that is not what you are saying because our schools are filled with children that could fit that profile. How were they warehousing him. He was doing his work and extremely intelligent. In fact the students that have spoken out said he was the smartest.

The FBI states there will always be a trigger or event that happens close in time to when the suspect acts. So I dont know why you dont think he could have had a trigger or event that threw him into a rage around the time this happened. I believe it did. and the trigger was the knowledge his mom was seeking help for him by wanting to be conservator over him,imo.

This has nothing to do with Adam being in schools when he was a child. He was no longer in school and had gone on to pass college courses at the age of 16.

IMO

With all due respect, I think this tragedy has everything to do with Adam being in school as a child because that's who he selected to slaughter en mass.

I am going by the news articles that have quoted school staff who have said they feared AL would harm himself and for that reason, they paid closer attention to him. That, alone, goes far beyond just "socially awkward."

JMO

JMO

I read an article that LE has confirmed he had Aspergers.

IMO

You did. But just because he says he is not the one to say or repeat what his son has said, does not mean it is not true.

The son says somebody told him, doesn't even says who.
That's hearsay without any confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti