trial recipe thread

Winter Holiday Punch

1 64oz. bottle Cranberry Juice Cocktail
1 64oz. bottle Ginger Ale
1 large can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 jar Maraschino Cherries with juice
1 bottle Champagne (non-alcoholic bubbly for children)

Chill all ingredients. Thaw orange juice concentrate overnight so that it is near liquid consistency. Mix ingredients in punch bowl but don't add Champagne until ready to serve.

Note: Try not to dilute punch with ice cubes. I use a plastic ice ring to keep the punch chilled.

:cheers:

I swiped this from our recently passed, beloved SoonerFan's hubby, Dave. It sounds awesome, and is a must do on my list.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
1 package taco seasoning mix
2 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes (you could also use left over mashed potatoes and omit the butter and milk)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour cream, optional

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add milk and 2 tablespoon taco seasoning. Remove from heat and add potato flakes until incorporated. Press mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch pan.
2. Bake for 7-10 minutes until it just BARELY turns golden brown.
3. In a medium skillet, cook beef and onions until beef is browned and cooked through. Drain. Add Salsa and remaining taco seasoning. Cook until bubbly.
4. Pour into crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Cut and serve with sour cream.

Louisiana BBQ shrimp

This is the easiest recipe and very good. Make sure you have some French bread to dip in the juice.

BBQ Shrimp

3 cups Wishbone Italian salad dressing
4-6 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 large lemon thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Tabasco to taste

Mix these ingredients and pour over 5-6 pounds unpeeled raw shrimp
Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
Melt 3/4 cup butter in pan, pour shrimp and marinade into the pan and cook at 400 for 20 min. If very large shrimp 25 min but watch and stir so you don't over cook
Serve in bowls with sauce from pan with French bread for dunking

Oh my....I am SO glad this thread was made! Y'all have posted some fabulous sounding recipes that I can't wait to try. I think I gained weight just reading them though.

Here is my first contribution:

Spinach Lasagna Rolls

9 lasagna noodles, cooked
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (I substitute w/cottage cheese & a pinch of nutmeg)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt and fresh pepper
32 oz tomato sauce
9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded​

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.

Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.

Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.

To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.

Alright...Here's another family favorite...If you love food from Chipotle, you will love this recipe. If you've never had Chipotle - you should try this recipe!

Slow Cooked Sweet Barbacoa Pork w/Cilantro Lime Rice

For the Marinade:

2.5 lbs pork loin roast, all fat trimmed
salt and pepper
garlic powder
6 oz Coke zero
1/4 cup brown sugar (unpacked)
1/4 cup water​

Step 2

8 oz Coke zero
6 oz can sliced green chilies
8 oz tomato sauce
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chipotle chili powder (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup brown sugar (unpacked)​

Directions:

Season pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place in the crock pot. Add 6 oz of coke and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Marinate refrigerated for a few hours or overnight turning meat at least once while marinating.

Remove crock from refrigerator, add water, and cook on high for about 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily). Remove pork from crock pot and discard any liquid left in the pot. Shred pork with two forks.

Step two: In the crock pot, combine 8 oz coke, green chilies, tomato sauce, chipotle chile, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder and remaining brown sugar.

Put shredded pork back in the crock pot and combine with sauce. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook on high 1-1/2 hours more.

Serve over cilantro lime rice.

Cilantro Lime Rice

1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
1/2 lime, juice of
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
3 tsp vegetable oil​

In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.

In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.

Anyone know how to make green chili sauce (with pork). Had it once and can't get it out of my mind. I believe someone said it was a favorite in New Mexico. Any help sure would be appreciated.

Anyone know how to make green chili sauce (with pork). Had it once and can't get it out of my mind. I believe someone said it was a favorite in New Mexico. Any help sure would be appreciated.

Try googling 'pork chile verde', I think it's what you're describing. Can be as easy as dumping a few cans of green enchilada sauce into a slow cooker with a pork tenderloin.

Can I please ask for people to share their favourite soup recipe? I need to try some new recipes.

Rustic Pumpkin Soup

I small or .5 large Pumpkin (1kg weight)
1 Onion
1 full bulb of Garlic
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground Cumin
0.5 Litres of Vegetable Stock
0.25 cup cream, or Greek Yoghurt (optional)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Chop up Pumpkins (don't remove skin), chop onions, and break up Garlic (cut nobbly bit off the bottom of each clove and removed the husky skin) .. put in roasting tray with spices, douse in Olive Oil, roast until caramelised. So for about 1-1.5 hours on 180ºc.

Place in blender with stock and cream OR yoghurt and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve with crusty bread.

YUM.

Can I please ask for people to share their favourite soup recipe? I need to try some new recipes.

Here are our family favorites...Hope you enjoy them if you give 'em a try!

Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
8 oz can tomato sauce
1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
1/4 cup chopped scallions, for topping
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
fat free sour cream (optional)

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.

Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)
If you've ever had Olive Garden - this is a great copycat and it's low cal!

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 15 oz can cannellini beans (any white bean will do I use Navy most times)
15 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 large bay leaf
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
2 (14 oz each) cans fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta
grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)​

In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

Blend the can of beans with one can water in electric blender until almost smooth.

Add blended beans to pan then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese (extra).
To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with fat free sour cream, cheese, scallions and cilantro. You can also top with avocado or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!

Baked Potato Soup

2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
1 small head of cauliflower, stem removed cut into florets
1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup light sour cream
10 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 tbsp chopped chives, divided
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)

Pierce potatoes with a fork; microwave on high for 5 minutes turn over and microwave another 3 - 5 minutes, until tender. Or if you prefer to use your oven, bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes.

Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot. On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl. Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives, and bacon.

LOVE this!!!

Lasagna Soup
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients

for the soup:
2 tsp. olive oil
1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
3 c. chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 T. tomato paste
1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 c. chicken stock
8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the cheesy yum:
8 oz. ricotta
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
additional cheesy yum:
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Preparation

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy and absorb all the soup broth. You may even want to consider cooking the noodles separately, and then adding some to individual bowls before ladling the soup over them. This would be an especially smart move if you are anticipating any leftovers. Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to try these, they all sound fantastic!

If anybody has any low carb recipes, I'd love that. I'm starting to get a little burned out on the ones I already have...

Ever want to make a cake that is something different for a change? Try this moist Cinnamon Sherry Bundt Cake. People seem to love its unique, delicious flavor. I've sent the recipe to many who asked for it.

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

4 eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup cream sherry

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (powdered)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Oil the sides and bottom of a 10 inch Bundt cake pan. In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, sugar and cocoa. "Flour" the sides and bottom of the pan with the mixture, tap out the excess back into the cinnamon mixture.

2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, sherry, nutmeg and pudding mix. Beat until well blended. Pour half of the batter into the Bundt pan, sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar, cover with the remaining batter and finally, top with remaining cinnamon mixture.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

If anybody has any low carb recipes, I'd love that. I'm starting to get a little burned out on the ones I already have...
Have you been to Kalyn's Kitchen? She has some really amazing low carb recipes.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

I'm on a countdown (5 months), I have a big event to compete in. In 2 months I'll be back to eating very low carb for 3 months so I'll be visiting her website nearly every day.

CREAMY NACHO SOUP
1 pound pork sausage
1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
1 medium cauliflower, 20 ounces
4 cups chicken broth
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, optional

In a large soup pot, cook the sausage and onion; drain the fat. Remove from the pot and set aside. Cut the cauliflower into florets; add to the soup pot along with the broth and Ro-tel tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 25 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender. Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add to the soup. Puree the soup with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in the sausage; heat through over medium-low heat. Adjust the seasoning and add the cilantro, if using.

CHERRY GLAZED PORK CHOPS
2 pounds boneless pork chops
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons oil
12 ounce can Hansen's diet black cherry soda *
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 large onion, sliced thin, 5 ounces
Xanthan gum, optional, about 1/2 teaspoon

Season the pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Brown well on both sides in hot oil in a very large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. You may need to brown them in two batches. Put all of the chops back in the skillet and scatter the onions over the top. Combine the soda, soy sauce and Splenda; pour over the pork chops. Bring to a simmer; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until the sauce in the pan has reduced and the meat is done. You may need to uncover the pan during the last 5-10 minutes. If you'd like to thicken your sauce, remove the pork chops to a serving plate then lightly sprinkle a little xanthan gum over the surface of the sauce in the pan. Bring to a simmer, whisk in well and cook until thickened. Serve the sauce over chops.

CHEDDAR BISCUITS
4 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted (1 1/4 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Whisk together the eggs, butter, salt, and garlic powder. Combine the coconut flour with the baking powder and whisk into the egg mixture until there are no lumps. Fold in the cheese. Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto a greased, rimmed baking sheet. Keep the batter as mounded as you can so that they won't end up too flat when they spread during baking. I made mine in a muffin top pan and I recommend doing that if you have one. Bake at 400º 15 minutes until as browned as you can get them without burning them.

GARLIC "BREAD"
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 ounce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded

Beat the cream cheese and eggs with a whisk until smooth. Add the cream, parmesan and seasonings. Grease a jelly roll pan very well (I used an 11 1/2 x 17" pan and it came out very, very thin. I might try a smaller pan next time); spread the mozzarella evenly in pan. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese. Spread slightly with a spatula. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on a rack, then cut into 24 pieces. If desired, spread a little butter on them and sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan cheese; broil just until butter is bubbly and very lightly browned.

Makes 24 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 73 Calories; 6g Fat; 4g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back