CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
do we know if when he got the road side assistance they left him with a gas can or did they just put it in his tank?

In general, road side assistance would just put the gas in the tank from a gas can they carry. Enough to get him to a station to fill up.

I-5 is the most direct route from Roseville/Rocklin/Sacramento area to SoCal. Any other way would be out of the way.

ETA: The places he was known to stop - Buttonwillow & Castaic - are both common areas to stop on that route for food, gas, rest, etc.

Thanks for clearing this up! I thought I remember reading earlier in the thread that his route was unusual/out of the way.

In general, road side assistance would just put the gas in the tank from a gas can they carry. Enough to get him to a station to fill up.

I read somewhere that they guessed 3 gallons of gas from a $20 credit card purchase. So maybe they made him pay for a can and the gas, or he had a can?

Per news reporter Rowena in first video... Bryce was struggling to find a job...

JMO...this could have added to his anxiety...

Didn't the original story mention that his friends tried to take his keys, but he talked to his mom and she told them to give his keys back?

I was trying to hint at this in one of my previous posts because I didn't want to say it directly, but I find it highly "coincidental" that Bryce decided to go an unusual way home through an area that --at least from descriptions here--is a known area for drug use. Still if he was meeting someone there for an exchange of sorts, I wonder why we haven't heard anything about his cell records. I really do wonder if he had a second cell phone.

The route Bryce took was straight down interstate 5. It's the fasted route from No. CA to So CA. I've driven it many times myself. It's a very common route for people to travel.

Trying to be optimistic here.

Maybe it's not him - I mean, he broke out of the crashed car (allegedly) and if he really was involved in an accident whether it was accidental or intentional (as previously speculated) why try to escape if your intent is only to end up committing suicide?

The only explanation I can come up with is to expedite it but if that's the case, why was didn't he do it immediately? Based on the reports of the body found, it was a pretty recent fire, right?

jmo

96_big.jpg

Picture of the buttonwillow stop.

They have to know by now if this is Bryce's body. If they had nowhere to start, or had no reason to think he would be there, it may take a long time. But surely there is something to indicate yes or no. If somebody did this to themselves, there would have to be an ignitor. If it was done TO somebody, there would be nothing left there to be used as evidence??

On another note, it's mentioned he bought a drink. He was there an awfully long time to not have bought food.

Honestly, I think he is in the lake. It's the most logical explanation. I don't think it was suicide.

I think he was either having a mental breakdown of some sort or possibly on drugs, crashed his car, and stumbled into the lake disoriented. It's pretty common for bodies to not be found right away in lakes. His scent went into the lake.

The burning body is weird, but probably just a coincidence.

Maybe it's not him - I mean, he broke out of the crashed car (allegedly) and if he really was involved in an accident whether it was accidental or intentional (as previously speculated) why try to escape if your intent is only to end up committing suicide?

The only explanation I can come up with is to expedite it but if that's the case, why was didn't he do it immediately? Based on the reports of the body found, it was a pretty recent fire, right?

jmo

Because he was being followed? Or perhaps *thought* he was being followed (if we're suggesting drug use or mental illness).

They have to know by now if this is Bryce's body. If they had nowhere to start, or had no reason to think he would be there, it may take a long time. But surely there is something to indicate yes or no. If somebody did this to themselves, there would have to be an ignitor. If it was done TO somebody, there would be nothing left there to be used as evidence??

On another note, it's mentioned he bought a drink. He was there an awfully long time to not have bought food.

Well, by dental records alone they should know something by now, "IF" there is someone working on his case, and not someone else's first. Don't know.

That travel stop at Button...whatever it was, had an all you can eat buffet, and several other places to eat.

After a week in the lake, wouldn't a body typically surface because of the gases??? I know I read somewhere that the body initially floats, then sinks, then rises because of the gases, then sinks again!

jmo

I would feel better about him being alive and just hiding out if he had taken his cellphone and wallet. Or if there was a call made from his phone like he tried to get help. Anything.

Also wonder how the police know the back window was busted out by an emergency tool. Maybe that's what they thought during the original investigation, when they suspected the car had been stolen, and they have not released another statement about it.

The silence from LE concerns me. No reports of them continuing the search either that I've seen. I'm wondering if they found something (hair that's his color, permanent retainer, something) that MAY be Bryce, but are waiting for a definitive yes or no via something else. They also stated there was "evidence" near where the body was found... surely they would be able to at least rule him out?

jmo

If the intent of the crash was suicide, he clearly failed. Once someone fails, things can go so many ways with their mindset. I mean, one moment you think it is going to be the end & then there you are with no way to make a 2nd attempt with the initial method. (Vehicle is disabled.) Also, again *if* this was the intent, things could have been altered with drugs or alcohol with the purpose of helping him get up the nerve to attempt it in the first place.

ETA: The body was actively on fire when reported @6am yesterday & the fire dept put it out.

not necessarily.. :twocents:

An autopsy is expected to be performed today on the body discovered by a passing cyclist about 6 a.m. and reported as a brush fire.

Sheriff’s Department homicide detectives, meanwhile, have placed a “security hold” on information gathered by the coroner concerning the body.

“A security hold is a request by law enforcement investigating the case that no information about it be released,” said Fred Corral of the Coroner’s Office.

Investigators said Wednesday they don’t know if there’s a connection between the burning body discovered near Castaic Lake and the disappearance last Friday of a 19-year-old college student in the Castaic Lake area.

Lt. Dave Dolson, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau, said detectives hope many questions about the body, including the victim’s identity, will be answered as a result of the autopsy.
http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/104204/

After a week in the lake, wouldn't a body typically surface because of the gases??? I know I read somewhere that the body initially floats, then sinks, then rises because of the gases, then sinks again!

This is in line with what I am thinking.
This was a homicide. The perp was local. Got BL's body to the lake and kept close watch because of all the searches and then retrieved his body when it floated and decided to burn it to make sure no evidence would be found.
Sure hope I am wrong and this is not BL at all.:hearno:

hope remains alive in Naperville:

Laspisa attended Lincoln Junior High School and Naperville Central High School. He and his family later moved to Orange County, Calif., and he enrolled in college.

“He is just a normal teenager,” Kigyos said. “When he was missing the first day, we thought he got upset and just didn’t come home, but when they found his car crashed, and he was gone, it got serious. It is totally out of the ordinary, and not in his character to (go missing).”

Los Angeles County sheriff’s department Lt. Wes Sutton told local reporters Wednesday night “there is no way to comment” on whether the discovery of the body and Laspisa’s disappearance might be connected, according to published reports. Results of a scheduled autopsy that might identify the remains will not be known for as long as a week, according to a sheriff’s department spokesman.
http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/n...urn_of_missing_nchs_grad-NAP-09052013:article

That is my understanding. His body could have been floating and the perp set it on fire once he realized it wouldn't sink or something. That's a stretch though, but who knows.

That travel stop at Button...whatever it was, had an all you can eat buffet, and several other places to eat.

The only thing LE is saying is that he bought a drink, and it is assumed unlikely to be alcohol due to how cheap it was.

Thanks for clearing this up! I thought I remember reading earlier in the thread that his route was unusual/out of the way.

I think people were commenting about how unusual it was to spend so much time there. There is nothing there.

Didn't the original story mention that his friends tried to take his keys, but he talked to his mom and she told them to give his keys back?

Yes, this is weird. Surely the mother would not encourage him to drive if he was in a weird state. That is baffling.

I read somewhere that they guessed 3 gallons of gas from a $20 credit card purchase. So maybe they made him pay for a can and the gas, or he had a can?

$20 is a lot for 3 gallons. That's more than $6/gallon. Perhaps they did give him a can? Crazy thought, but perhaps he set a signal fire and the fumes or liquid was on his body when he ignited it and he burned to death. I know it is far-fetched but it makes about as much sense as anything else right now.

Roommate Hoping for the Best after Sierra College Student Goes Missing
... “I think that he’s trying to find himself right now. He doesn’t want to be found,” [SD, BL's roommate] said. ...

... This is a text message, the last one [SD] got from Bryce that night.
“I love you bro, seriously. You are the best person I’ve ever met. You saved my soul.” ...

... “[I’m] not worried because I know that though he may be having some issues right now, [but] I can’t see him doing that to himself,” [SD] said. “I just have hope that that’s not him.”

That’s why [SD] left Bryce’s high tops next to their front door. ...

“He left it, like he was, he only grabbing the essentials. He left everything else, like he still has most of his clothes here. His T.V. here … He told us he would come back on Labor Day.” ...

http://fox40.com/2013/09/04/roommate-hoping-for-the-best-after-sierra-college-student-goes-missing/

This pisses me off to no end. It's like it is no big deal to his "friend". The "find my soul" part is particularly troubling... it makes sense if the friend is very religious and tried to get him to see the light or something. They could have also been more than friends. Whatever the reason, that comment signals something.

Just adding from that news report

This is a text message, the last one Sean (roommate) got from Bryce that night.
“I love you bro, seriously. You are the best person I’ve ever met. You saved my soul.”
Sean text back
"I love you to man. You have and amazing life. Full of love and blessings don't waste that. You have to many people that love you Bryce."

Isn't there anything else he would like to share? Come on. This doesn't sound like a normal conversation between two friends no matter how close they are. What I mean is... this sounds more like a "goodbye" than anything else.

At this point I would really like for his friends to be upfront with *what* his struggles were (and maybe they have with LE), and whether or not Bryce was the one who circled the car before wrecking it.

Yeah no kidding. They are not being heroes by trying to protect whatever he is hiding. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125