GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

Can’t imagination the devastation Katie’s mother and sister must feel around this time of year. My heart hurts for them. Justice for Katie and Bowie. And justice for her family and friends </3
I believe the love you give to your pets and family members is the amount you hurt when one of them dies, and especially in these horrific kinds of ways. A detective friend I talk with says that for most mothers in this kind of situation, they feel like time hasn’t gone by, it feels like the world may have kept going, and after any time off they are allowed, and go back to work, it feels as if it just happened. They go through the motions because they must work or they must care for other children or pets, or they are people who volunteer. But they are never more than moments away from the time they were informed that their beloved son or daughter was taken from them. Despite trauma counseling and having their new core group close around them, and slowly taking steps to get back into seeing friends, and getting out more, the pain and loss and debilitating physical ache is always there. And no one knows exactly how any moms are feeling because each relationship is different. After time, the other friends don’t want to hear the pain because they do have their own lives and trials. So then the moms or dads must keep their stories and feelings closer to the vest except with the small chosen family of friends who have shared the tragedy where they can speak freely. But solid connections can lead to how best to move with the death, they can be there to support and challenge those who have lost a daughter and help them laugh and get back in the game. Those solid friends know life will never be the same and that just getting up some days is a triumph. Killers suck the life out of their victim plus every individual who was a part or a piece of their life. It’s basically a massacre of souls the moment a loved one is so violently and needlessly hurt and killed.

I believe the love you give to your pets and family members is the amount you hurt when one of them dies, and especially in these horrific kinds of ways. A detective friend I talk with says that for most mothers in this kind of situation, they feel like time hasn’t gone by, it feels like the world may have kept going, and after any time off they are allowed, and go back to work, it feels as if it just happened. They go through the motions because they must work or they must care for other children or pets, or they are people who volunteer. But they are never more than moments away from the time they were informed that their beloved son or daughter was taken from them. Despite trauma counseling and having their new core group close around them, and slowly taking steps to get back into seeing friends, and getting out more, the pain and loss and debilitating physical ache is always there. And no one knows exactly how any moms are feeling because each relationship is different. After time, the other friends don’t want to hear the pain because they do have their own lives and trials. So then the moms or dads must keep their stories and feelings closer to the vest except with the small chosen family of friends who have shared the tragedy where they can speak freely. But solid connections can lead to how best to move with the death, they can be there to support and challenge those who have lost a daughter and help them laugh and get back in the game. Those solid friends know life will never be the same and that just getting up some days is a triumph. Killers suck the life out of their victim plus every individual who was a part or a piece of their life. It’s basically a massacre of souls the moment a loved one is so violently and needlessly hurt and killed.
Very eloquently said. Important insights for those of us who are not close but who want to continue to support Katie’s mother, sister and Emma.

Caveat: Everything below is irrelevant if the APD has a suspect and they’re waiting for the right evidence to make an arrest.

All of what is said below are my opinions and my opinions only. My concern that the APD are not taking all the steps needed to find Katie’s murderer remains. Despite several attempts to talk to the lead detective, they don’t return phone calls. I also submitted a Public Records Request for several items. Their only response has been to acknowledge receipt of the Request. They are required by statute to respond substantively within three days of the filing of the request.

I have some further suggestions for keeping this case moving. All the high profile murder cases that I have been involved with have had one thing in common: either LE are holding regular press conferences and providing some information to the public to generate ongoing leads or the family holds press conferences periodically to keep the case in the news. The family, in this case, Emma, Katie’s mom, need to speak publicly, try to get interviews scheduled with the press and with good podcasters.

It would be helpful to get a former FBI profiler to discuss a potential profile of this murderer on a podcast or interviewed for a press story. This could generate a lot of discussion.

Being concerned about irritating the APD ought to be ignored given that it’s been over two and a half years and NOTHING has come from the APD.

The above approach takes energy and keeps the trauma of the murder closer to the surface for many folks. There may be an attorney or PR person willing to help at no cost to Emma or Katie’s mom.

I’m really afraid this is going to become a cold case and linger unresolved. That would be a tragedy for Katie and Bowie, for Emma and Katie’s mom, her friends and the Mid-Town community.

I work for the City of Atlanta and records are rarely released while an investigation is still considered open. The open records act excludes records that are part of an active investigation. You would probably have more luck reaching out to APD’s PIO (public information officer) to get an update on this case. They are generally more willing to talk to the public than the actual detectives.
I wish I could say more but I can’t on this forum but feel free to PM me.

Following up on my post of Dec. 2, 2023. I reached out by phone to the APD Criminal Division, the Public Affairs Officer and the office for Requests for Public Records. I have left several voicemail messages since early last week and have not received any return calls. I was able to speak today to a detective in the Criminal Investigations Division. He, of course, gave me the standard line about the APD not releasing information in ongoing investigations. I told him a little about my legal background and involvement in high profile criminal cases. He did listen as I shared with him my theory about the perpetrator, where he might be living now and that after 2 1/2 years it might be time to share some information, strategically, with the public. I suggested that if they have a criminal profile from the FBI that they release some of the characteristics of the perpetrator as that might make someone think about who they know that may have those characteristics and that can generate new leads, with a few really good ones. I pressed him about my concern that after this amount of time cases more easily grow cold. I also suggested to him that the cold case division take another closer look at the Patrick Boland Piedmont Park murder back in 2009 that remains unsolved, that there might be a chance that Patrick's stabbing death was committed by the same perpetrator as Katie's and that Patrick's stabbing was just a warm up for what he really wanted to do. That's what sexual sadists do. Their first horrific murder like Katie's is not their first crime. They lead up to a murder like Katie's I really pressed him then about putting me in touch with a detective working Katie's murder. He took my contact information and told me he would talk to them to see if one of them will talk to me. Don't know if he meant it, but we can hope!!

Will keep everyone updated about what I find out, etc.

Following up on my post of Dec. 2, 2023. I reached out by phone to the APD Criminal Division, the Public Affairs Officer and the office for Requests for Public Records. I have left several voicemail messages since early last week and have not received any return calls. I was able to speak today to a detective in the Criminal Investigations Division. He, of course, gave me the standard line about the APD not releasing information in ongoing investigations. I told him a little about my legal background and involvement in high profile criminal cases. He did listen as I shared with him my theory about the perpetrator, where he might be living now and that after 2 1/2 years it might be time to share some information, strategically, with the public. I suggested that if they have a criminal profile from the FBI that they release some of the characteristics of the perpetrator as that might make someone think about who they know that may have those characteristics and that can generate new leads, with a few really good ones. I pressed him about my concern that after this amount of time cases more easily grow cold. I also suggested to him that the cold case division take another closer look at the Patrick Boland Piedmont Park murder back in 2009 that remains unsolved, that there might be a chance that Patrick's stabbing death was committed by the same perpetrator as Katie's and that Patrick's stabbing was just a warm up for what he really wanted to do. That's what sexual sadists do. Their first horrific murder like Katie's is not their first crime. They lead up to a murder like Katie's I really pressed him then about putting me in touch with a detective working Katie's murder. He took my contact information and told me he would talk to them to see if one of them will talk to me. Don't know if he meant it, but we can hope!!

For the time being, if the public and podcasters among us sincerely want to help, they could do podcasts on the info. we all have already in order to simply inform those who didn’t know about this crime. IMO, most people can’t possibly learn about every case throughout the country, solved or unsolved currently, and the more advocates for Katie and Bowie that can be generated, the better the chances a new listener, or an initial listener will get a sense about someone they know or may have interacted with who could possibly be a person of interest. New intel from the APD or its leaks isn’t necessary to do this.

Thank you so much for taking the initiative and being persistent, this case has been heavy on my heart and mind for some reason recently and I was just thinking about whether there have been any updates. It is absolutely heartbreaking that it has seemingly gone cold.

I agree that this case needs attention and advocacy from a number of places. And I also understand what a heavy burden that is to carry for Katie's loved ones.

Hoping that there is a much-needed break in this case!

For the time being, if the public and podcasters among us sincerely want to help, they could do podcasts on the info. we all have already in order to simply inform those who didn’t know about this crime. IMO, most people can’t possibly learn about every case throughout the country, solved or unsolved currently, and the more advocates for Katie and Bowie that can be generated, the better the chances a new listener, or an initial listener will get a sense about someone they know or may have interacted with who could possibly be a person of interest. New intel from the APD or its leaks isn’t necessary to do this.
Please don’t misunderstand. I don’t intend to “leak” any information! I am simply suggesting to the APD that they consider releasing some information, strategically. Very respectfully, I disagree that the info that is available to the public is adequate to generate new or ongoing interest. Podcasters are not going to do another episode without some additional information. All the podcast episodes done to date are all the same info, basics of the night of the murder. I’ve listened to them all. It’s difficult to get a podcaster to do another episode. But, you may know how that works better than I.

I think ultimately it is Emma and Katie’s family that has to work with APD to approach the investigation effectively. That is a tall task for those folks.

I think the APD considering other investigative approaches could be productive. And, I hear your opinion quite clearly and certainly respect it.

reposts
Jul 28, 2023
Two years after she was stabbed and killed in Piedmont Park, Atlanta police still don’t have a suspect.
Jul 28, 2023
“We’re working it,” Atlanta Police Homicide Detective Jeffrey Churchill said.

Watching for crimes that involve writing on a victim's body on the chance that there is an identifiable commonality in the type of perp. who might do that sort of thing, speculation, imo,
Recently posted this link in a case where the gory scene initially obscured the writing ( with invisible ink?) on the brutalized woman, fwiw, this is the FBI profile for the perp in that case..
Noting a man ( not unlike the profile) has recently been charged for the murder.

2023 rbbm
“When we hit it with that alternate light source, it said ‘Metallica’ and the name ‘Harley’ on the refrigerator,” Laninga said.
Specifically, “Harley was here.”
They moved the light over Swartz’s body.
“In examining her body looking for hairs and fibers, we found writing on the inside of her thigh,” Laninga said. “And it said, ‘I was here.'”

''An FBI criminal profiler described the kind of killer they might be looking for: A male aged 15 to 25 with the mentality of a 15-year-old; someone who lived nearby, connected but not closely to Cathy’s circle of friends, possibly a window peeker, probably a loner, someone not good with women.

“To people who know him,” they wrote, “he may be the last person on earth they would suspect.”

The killer likely was remorseful, with a fear of what might happen if he’s caught.

“He is also likely to blame her for the death because all he wanted was sex from her and she went out of control,” they wrote.''

Last edited:
Watching for crimes that involve writing on a victim's body on the chance that there is an identifiable commonality in the type of perp. who might do that sort of thing, speculation, imo,
Recently posted this link in a case where the gory scene initially obscured the writing ( with invisible ink?) on the brutalized woman, fwiw, this is the FBI profile for the perp in that case..
Noting a man ( not unlike the profile) has recently been charged for the murder.

2023 rbbm
“When we hit it with that alternate light source, it said ‘Metallica’ and the name ‘Harley’ on the refrigerator,” Laninga said.
Specifically, “Harley was here.”
They moved the light over Swartz’s body.
“In examining her body looking for hairs and fibers, we found writing on the inside of her thigh,” Laninga said. “And it said, ‘I was here.'”

''An FBI criminal profiler described the kind of killer they might be looking for: A male aged 15 to 25 with the mentality of a 15-year-old; someone who lived nearby, connected but not closely to Cathy’s circle of friends, possibly a window peeker, probably a loner, someone not good with women.

“To people who know him,” they wrote, “he may be the last person on earth they would suspect.”

The killer likely was remorseful, with a fear of what might happen if he’s caught.

“He is also likely to blame her for the death because all he wanted was sex from her and she went out of control,” they wrote.''

I read the entire article you quoted here and it was fascinating. I too hoped to glean some kind of info about the type of perpetrator who would carve or write on someone's body, as I agree with you that is valuable info to know. However, once I read to the end and saw how the case was solved by Othram it seems that the "invisible" writing that was picked up forensically was a red herring left by an innocent person at some point in the past. So, unfortunately, this particular case probably doesn't tell us as much as we might hope.

For my part, I have some doubt that the marks on KJ that appear to look like the letters "FAT" really are letters in that sense. I question whether the perpetrator was experimenting with cutting and driving pleasure from that rather than trying to write specific word(s).

I might be in the minority but I don't think this murder was "personal" just because it was brutal or exhibited "overkill." Instead, I feel like it has hallmarks of a person who is playing or experimenting....in the absence of other info to go on, I think this is likely to be a random attack by a very disturbed individual.

Love You Till Tuesday - Katie Janness
Here is a fairly recent podcast about KJ’s murder, Oct. 23, 2023. It has no new information but is extremely well done. It’s worth an hour to listen to it. Wish they had or would do a portion in the podcast about the characteristics of a sexual sadist. Otherwise, it’s one of the best KJ podcasts I’ve heard. The link above takes you to audible to hear it. But you can find it on most of the platforms that carry podcasts.

And, my heartfelt best to Emma, Katie’s mom, Bobbi, and all her family and friends during this holiday season. May they find some grace and peace knowing many people think of KJ and Bowie often. I hope that 2024 will bring the arrest of a suspect and the beginning of true justice for KJ and Bowie.

Greetings. I have a quick question if someone knows the answer. Would that bathroom just inside the entrance to the park have been open or locked when Katie and Bowie were assaulted?

According to the Piedmont Park website, restroom hours of operation are 8am-6pm. FAQ - Piedmont Park Conservancy, Inc.

However, as we know, an urban park could have malfunctioning locks, propped doors, out of service restrooms, and the list goes on. I guarantee you police tried to find the answer to this question too.

According to the Piedmont Park website, restroom hours of operation are 8am-6pm. FAQ - Piedmont Park Conservancy, Inc.

However, as we know, an urban park could have malfunctioning locks, propped doors, out of service restrooms, and the list goes on. I guarantee you police tried to find the answer to this question too.
Thanks. I’m sure the police probably checked that when they got on scene. I’ve just been running through scenarios, one of which is that the killer ran into Katie at the tavern, perhaps he had seen her previously. That night he followed her to corner of 10th & Piedmont on the north side of 10th. He asked if he could walk with her down 10th toward Charles Allen. Being the nice person Katie was, she agreed. When they reached the Charles Allen entrance, perhaps Katie tried to ditch him by saying she had to use the restroom just inside the park. He said he would walk with her, hold Bowie’s leash while she went in the restroom. Assuming the restroom was open, Katie went in. The killer then stabbed Bowie. When Katie came out she saw him stabbing Bowie and ran. The killer ran after her. This just one possible scenario.

Thanks. I’m sure the police probably checked that when they got on scene. I’ve just been running through scenarios, one of which is that the killer ran into Katie at the tavern, perhaps he had seen her previously. That night he followed her to corner of 10th & Piedmont on the north side of 10th. He asked if he could walk with her down 10th toward Charles Allen. Being the nice person Katie was, she agreed. When they reached the Charles Allen entrance, perhaps Katie tried to ditch him by saying she had to use the restroom just inside the park. He said he would walk with her, hold Bowie’s leash while she went in the restroom. Assuming the restroom was open, Katie went in. The killer then stabbed Bowie. When Katie came out she saw him stabbing Bowie and ran. The killer ran after her. This just one possible scenario.

I don't really have an opinion on any scenarios of how Katie encountered him, but I think this park is known for after dark sexual activities so I'm sure that (and general safety) is why the restrooms are supposed to close operation at 6pm. Keyword being "supposed." I'm sure police were curious if the assailant could have gone into a park facility, such as a restroom, either before or after the crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anon_
Back