GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

Interesting. I’m too old to have thought of it. It’s possible. Could very well be the killer’s signature. I think it could be one of the reasons the FBI were called in so fast.

I think that there is more that has not been released. The FBI was probably called in, as LEO identified this as a possible hate crime.

Bumping the discussion about the tagging on the utility box at the entry gate of PP where KJ & B were murdered and that the LE dog alerted on:

@AtlantaBourne

GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

This SL#! word on the silver box outside the 10th & CA entrance was discussed in Thread 2. I posted a pic but don't have it anymore. Also keep in mind, according to the autopsy report, the T in the word FAT had a double verticle incision & the 1st video of the murders from 11alive news showed 2 K-9's hit on the silver box.
I drive past this 3-4 days a week for a yr now & have had to stop at that light. Never noticed the tag until after the murders.
JMOO.

@SpiralStairs

GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

Went by the park today to take a look at the utility box. Definitely two lines in the horizontal section of the T (though it’s the vertical section of the T carved into KJ that is doubled according to the autopsy report.)

Attachments

1699886346352.png

I am convinced that the only way KJ and Bowie get justice is for the APD to release more information publicly to generate more tips. I’m concerned if they don’t, the case will become a cold case. I don’t know what Emma or KJ’s mother is doing to keep pressure on the APD, but I think it would be effective if more of the Mid-Town community do it. I will find the number of the lead detective and post so people can call. I’ll also post a suggestion for what message to give them. Let’s do more than talk about KJ’s murder!
This may have already been shared but jic:
APD detective working case for last 24 months (a/o 7/2023 apd news conference) is
Det J Churchill (Det Dearlove is his super).

No doubt there is way more that hasn’t been released. APD needs to release more to get public engaged more at this point.
They are significantly understaffed/underfunded with sideways pressure from the stop-cop-city movement (so it’s not popular or politically lucrative to properly fund APD). Add to that, they are inundated and have been with gang activity in all iterations and so it seems most LE attn goes in that direction.

DA Fani Willis’ office is bogged down w Trump et al and also prosecuting gangs. All that to say I think KJ and Bowie are way down on the list. I am not familiar w the inner workings of APD or how to even go about advocating on behalf of Katie but absolutely available. How do we go about it?

They are significantly understaffed/underfunded with sideways pressure from the stop-cop-city movement (so it’s not popular or politically lucrative to properly fund APD). Add to that, they are inundated and have been with gang activity in all iterations and so it seems most LE attn goes in that direction.

DA Fani Willis’ office is bogged down w Trump et al and also prosecuting gangs. All that to say I think KJ and Bowie are way down on the list. I am not familiar w the inner workings of APD or how to even go about advocating on behalf of Katie but absolutely available. How do we go about it?
That’s very interesting and helpful information. It’s also very disappointing. Well, I know they’ve done a complete victimology report on Katie and the FBI BAU has done a criminal profile. The FBI usually makes recommendations about how to approach the public release of information from those two reports. Finding out what that info is would be huge. There may be a way to do that through three people who used to be in the DAs office for years: Nancy Grace, Sheryl McCullom and Joe Scott Morgan. They have podcasts now. I think if people sent emails to them asking them to highlight this case again and asking how to get APD doing more publicly, we might be able to get some action. You can Google all three to get their contact information.

That’s very interesting and helpful information. It’s also very disappointing. Well, I know they’ve done a complete victimology report on Katie and the FBI BAU has done a criminal profile. The FBI usually makes recommendations about how to approach the public release of information from those two reports. Finding out what that info is would be huge. There may be a way to do that through three people who used to be in the DAs office for years: Nancy Grace, Sheryl McCullom and Joe Scott Morgan. They have podcasts now. I think if people sent emails to them asking them to highlight this case again and asking how to get APD doing more publicly, we might be able to get some action. You can Google all three to get their contact information.
I know all three have hilighted this case before. Is the idea to ask them to to revisit it?

( I was thinking you meant enquiring with APD )

Keep in mind the actual Police Training Facility construction is outside the Atlanta city limits and outside Fulton County. The facility is being built in unincorporated DeKalb county. So while there are some protests within Atlanta, much of the disturbance over the construction is outside the Atlanta police jurisdiction.

Keep in mind the actual Police Training Facility construction is outside the Atlanta city limits and outside Fulton County. The facility is being built in unincorporated DeKalb county. So while there are some protests within Atlanta, much of the disturbance over the construction is outside the Atlanta police jurisdiction.
My point wasn’t that apd is involved with policing that area but that the scc movement is/was a factor in how apd is/is not being funded…and I would imagine that affects how resources are allocated per case.

My point wasn’t that apd is involved with policing that area but that the scc movement is/was a factor in how apd is/is not being funded…and I would imagine that affects how resources are allocated per case.
I really don't think there's a real funding problem with Atlanta's police, they may be short on staffing but I haven't seen that mentioned as much lately. The previous mayor killed her future chances for re-election by bad mouthing the police in a public incident in 2020. The current mayor is very pro-police. I'm sure there is some distraction, but I think the volume of crime and other murders in the city is a bigger issue than the "cop city" protests. I am in the metro area and the local news just saddens me. So many senseless killings most of which make the headlines then fade into obscurity. You never really know how many get solved.

I know all three have hilighted this case before. Is the idea to ask them to to revisit it?

( I was thinking you meant enquiring with APD )
Both. Contacting APD and seeing if those three would do follow up episodes. Also, Sherly McCullom is a CSI expert for on of the local channels and see did some viewing of the crime scene early on and her organization looks into cold cases. She might be interested; worth a try.

I really don't think there's a real funding problem with Atlanta's police, they may be short on staffing but I haven't seen that mentioned as much lately. The previous mayor killed her future chances for re-election by bad mouthing the police in a public incident in 2020. The current mayor is very pro-police. I'm sure there is some distraction, but I think the volume of crime and other murders in the city is a bigger issue than the "cop city" protests. I am in the metro area and the local news just saddens me. So many senseless killings most of which make the headlines then fade into obscurity. You never really know how many get

Sta
I really don't think there's a real funding problem with Atlanta's police, they may be short on staffing but I haven't seen that mentioned as much lately. The previous mayor killed her future chances for re-election by bad mouthing the police in a public incident in 2020. The current mayor is very pro-police. I'm sure there is some distraction, but I think the volume of crime and other murders in the city is a bigger issue than the "cop city" protests. I am in the metro area and the local news just saddens me. So many senseless killings most of which make the headlines then
I really don't think there's a real funding problem with Atlanta's police, they may be short on staffing but I haven't seen that mentioned as much lately. The previous mayor killed her future chances for re-election by bad mouthing the police in a public incident in 2020. The current mayor is very pro-police. I'm sure there is some distraction, but I think the volume of crime and other murders in the city is a bigger issue than the "cop city" protests. I am in the metro area and the local news just saddens me. So many senseless killings most of which make the headlines then fade into obscurity. You never really know how many get solved.
APD is notoriously underpaid and understaffed. This is well documented. In fact the area of ATL I live in has come up with it’s own $500,000/yr budget to add additional patrols in the main corridors. This is from corporate and private citizens. In fact most officers will tell you they make more $$ from their side hustles than their main gig.

Was Bowie found wearing a leash or was he running loose-leash in the park?

The fact that the phone was found a small distance from the Katie tells me that she might have been walking with her phone in her hand (as opposed to in her pocket) when she was ambushed.

I could imagine a scene where bowie runs ahead to say hi to the perp on the walkway, short conversation/lewd proposition ensues and is rejected by Katie, man is offended and calls Katie "fat", Bowie is stabbed and Katie tries to intervene and is murdered. The murderer is so angry at the rejection he defaces Katie by pulling her pants down and carving "fat" into her skin.

Psychos have written on victims or written things on the crime scene without having any connection to the victim before. So i don't necessarily see this as a personally motivated crime - where the suspect knew Katie in any way. This feels to me like someone very angry with a rejection.

My own amateur opinions and speculations.
This is a very important question - whether Bowie was on a leash. If a leash was still attached to him, it doesn't mean she didn't drop it and allow him to run ahead, knowing that he would come back when called. I cannot see the killer attacking Katie with Bowie attached to a leash attached to her hand. He would have no way of knowing how that dog would react. If the dog was up ahead, he could lure him over and quickly neutralize him before besetting Katie.
I, too, go round and round about whether this was a random act. I cannot wrap my head around an opportunistic killer attacking someone with a larger dog. But of course I'm not ruling it out. If he were someone who had a beef with Katie, he had to be following her, all prepped with a kill kit, in the off chance she stepped into the park and he could make a move... it seems a stretch.
MOO

This is a very important question - whether Bowie was on a leash. If a leash was still attached to him, it doesn't mean she didn't drop it and allow him to run ahead, knowing that he would come back when called. I cannot see the killer attacking Katie with Bowie attached to a leash attached to her hand. He would have no way of knowing how that dog would react. If the dog was up ahead, he could lure him over and quickly neutralize him before besetting Katie.
I, too, go round and round about whether this was a random act. I cannot wrap my head around an opportunistic killer attacking someone with a larger dog. But of course I'm not ruling it out. If he were someone who had a beef with Katie, he had to be following her, all prepped with a kill kit, in the off chance she stepped into the park and he could make a move... it seems a stretch.
MOO
Bowie certainly adds a very strange twist to this case. Why attack someone with a dog like that? Maybe it was more than one attacker. I don't know that is very likely, but it would at least possibly explain how it was pulled off.

Bowie certainly adds a very strange twist to this case. Why attack someone with a dog like that? Maybe it was more than one attacker. I don't know that is very likely, but it would at least possibly explain how it was pulled off.
I very much doubt two people were involved in the murder. Given where it took place, two people would present an even greater risk of them being caught, imo.

I am still of the opinion that the murder was not random or opportunist simply because Katie was in the park at that particular time.

I think it would be extremely helpful to know if Bowie was off leash; that would help us understand some of the circumstances. This killer had been watching the park in those early morning hours for a very long time. He had seen Katie and Bowie come through the park. So, he knew she had a dog. He didn’t need to know exactly when she would be there. Once he had it all planned and he knew he wanted to kill her, he was simply waiting for her to come through the park.

The killer would have been able to kill Bowie, first, very quickly. I think Bowie was likely ahead of Katie. He killed Bowie and then went another 100 ft to where Katie was. It really depends on where the killer was laying in wait.

Imo, I don’t think the killer stabbed, mutilated and disfigured Katie because she rejected him that night. What this killer did was the acting out of a very rare sexually sadistic male. Horrific and unspeakable.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 10.49.39 PM.png

PP has a leash law. PP has dog parks but they're enclosed areas. I don't think it'd be wise to unleash a pitbull in PP even tho Bowie was sweet as sugar; dogs can be unpredictable sometimes. That is, unless Katie took Bowie off the leash when she sensed danger.
  • The off-leash areas have double gated entrances. Owners must close and latch both gates after entering or exiting the area.
Dog Parks - Piedmont Park Conservancy, Inc.

@ 00:15 seconds mark it appears Katie is holding a dark colored retractable leash in her left hand.

I'm of the mindset that the killer is/was incredibly mentally ill. Anyone who can do the things this killer did is not functioning on a level that we can understand, imo. So, whether he was familiar with KJ or not, I don't think the dog was a deterrent. For all we know, the killer could have been delusional and then it's impossible to even guess what he saw in Bowie or KJ. The wounds on KJ were seemingly intentional and precise, rather than random slashes or stabs. It's a scary, demented mind who did that, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57
Back