GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

I don't really have an opinion on any scenarios of how Katie encountered him, but I think this park is known for after dark sexual activities so I'm sure that (and general safety) is why the restrooms are supposed to close operation at 6pm. Keyword being "supposed." I'm sure police were curious if the assailant could have gone into a park facility, such as a restroom, either before or after the crime.
Much of the late-night action is with gay men meeting others and they aren’t interested in women since they’re otherwise occupied. Your scenario is not one that has been mentioned here; it’s plausible and creepy/scary.

Honestly, I wouldn't even pretend to go into a park bathroom at night. Or in the day. And, I don't give my dog's leash to anyone, including my husband. Never. Sorry, my dog was way too important to me, as my personal baby dog, and my husband is really too stupid to be responsible for my baby dog. Kids, yes, dog, no.

So, I doubt that scenario.

Much of the late-night action is with gay men meeting others and they aren’t interested in women since they’re otherwise occupied. Your scenario is not one that has been mentioned here; it’s plausible and creepy/scary.

The mention of sexual assignations inside the park is a (partial...the other being general urban safety) explanation of why the restrooms were supposed to be closed that time of night -- not a suggestion of who might be responsible for her murder, just to make that clear.

Having said that, if someone (who was known or unknown to me) was making me so uncomfortable that I wanted to go inside a public restroom to get away from them, I think the last thing I'd do is hand over my dog's leash because that ensures they will still be waiting for me when I come back out.

I hear what you’re saying about not letting a stranger hold your dog’s leash or go into a public restroom to get rid of someone with whom you’re uncomfortable. Let me add some other detail to my scenario. It wasn’t that Katie was uncomfortable with the stranger, rather, she would be turning to go south on Charles Allen toward where she and Emma lived and she didn’t want someone she really didn’t know to walk with her all the way home. You have to take into consideration what is one of the traits of sexual sadistic killers, i.e., that they don’t really seem dangerous and can be quiet spoken, reserved when interacting with them in the situation he’s in with Katie. He’s trying, very cleverly, to disarm her to get her and Bowie into the park. He’s thought about scenarios to do that for a very long time, in great detail. And, while we think we would not have done what I describe in my scenario, I think it is plausible Katie did. I don’t think she was afraid, she just didn’t want her to follow her any further and she didn’t just want to tell him to go away. I don’t think that would be consistent with how Katie’s been described.

But, I concede, it may not be too plausible. I’m just trying to think through how Katie and Bowie would be in the park in a position to be vulnerable enough for the killer to stab/kill Bowie and then attack Katie. My scenario assumes she was headed home at that point and not intending to go into the park. It was probably 12:20 am when they would have reached the entrance to the park. Katie knew Emma would be home soon and Katie wanted to be there.

Just trying to fit puzzle pieces together. Something out of the ordinary happened that time of the morning that caused Katie and Bowie to be just inside the entrance to the park to be confronted and attacked by the killer. This scenario departs from a most commonly held assumption that Katie was in the park just doing a normal walk with Bowie. If she did, that would put her home quite late and would mean she walked Bowie for at least an hour or more after she left Emma at Henry’s. Doesn’t seem like a realistic timeframe.

The mention of sexual assignations inside the park is a (partial...the other being general urban safety) explanation of why the restrooms were supposed to be closed that time of night -- not a suggestion of who might be responsible for her murder, just to make that clear.

Having said that, if someone (who was known or unknown to me) was making me so uncomfortable that I wanted to go inside a public restroom to get away from them, I think the last thing I'd do is hand over my dog's leash because that ensures they will still be waiting for me when I come back out.
I was actually replying to RetLawyer; it wasn’t my intention to suggest that one of the particular population who hangs out at night may have killed Katie; the converse, I believe. IMO, there were many more people in the park who weren't and aren’t killers at any given time than who are. She was sought out. The latest comments made regarding her going into the bathroom or not all do make sense.

I hear what you’re saying about not letting a stranger hold your dog’s leash or go into a public restroom to get rid of someone with whom you’re uncomfortable. Let me add some other detail to my scenario. It wasn’t that Katie was uncomfortable with the stranger, rather, she would be turning to go south on Charles Allen toward where she and Emma lived and she didn’t want someone she really didn’t know to walk with her all the way home. You have to take into consideration what is one of the traits of sexual sadistic killers, i.e., that they don’t really seem dangerous and can be quiet spoken, reserved when interacting with them in the situation he’s in with Katie. He’s trying, very cleverly, to disarm her to get her and Bowie into the park. He’s thought about scenarios to do that for a very long time, in great detail. And, while we think we would not have done what I describe in my scenario, I think it is plausible Katie did. I don’t think she was afraid, she just didn’t want her to follow her any further and she didn’t just want to tell him to go away. I don’t think that would be consistent with how Katie’s been described.

But, I concede, it may not be too plausible. I’m just trying to think through how Katie and Bowie would be in the park in a position to be vulnerable enough for the killer to stab/kill Bowie and then attack Katie. My scenario assumes she was headed home at that point and not intending to go into the park. It was probably 12:20 am when they would have reached the entrance to the park. Katie knew Emma would be home soon and Katie wanted to be there.

Just trying to fit puzzle pieces together. Something out of the ordinary happened that time of the morning that caused Katie and Bowie to be just inside the entrance to the park to be confronted and attacked by the killer. This scenario departs from a most commonly held assumption that Katie was in the park just doing a normal walk with Bowie. If she did, that would put her home quite late and would mean she walked Bowie for at least an hour or more after she left Emma at Henry’s. Doesn’t seem like a realistic timeframe.
I do agree after thinking about it at this late hour, and I believe IF a person, Katie, was to step inside a restroom to ‘get rid of’ a person who was being annoying, why wouldn’t she bring her dog along? If by doing so, it’s a big possibility that the guy would have been peeved, and Katie would have found herself trapped with it being harder to escape, so it doesn’t seem likely. There are just SO MANY what if’s and possible scenarios in this murder; it was such a blatant and ego-driven crime that there HAS to be evidence and answers. The APD is probably waiting to make an airtight case.

We don't yet know where she entered the park, do we? KJ was obviously comfortable walking in the general area late at night, as it sounds like she did it regularly. Whether she went inside the park during these walks is not clear to me, but I guess I'm willing to assume that perhaps she didn't need to have a reason to go into that entrance, because she might have already been in the park, maybe actually on her way out though that entrance.

The bathroom has always bothered me. Even if it was locked, its presence and proximity to the crime makes we wonder. There's also a vending machine and trash can on the outside. Maybe someone was at the vending, or using drugs, or waiting for a meetup, or simply hiding behind that building, whatever. Or it might have no bearing on the crime. IDK.

Now if the bathroom was open, I might be inclined to wonder if KJ tied Bowie's leash to something outside while she went in, and that's when he was killed. But we just don't know. We really don't know much of anything in this case, at all.

Is very scary to me that this killer is still out there (assuming he's alive and not incarcerated for something else).

Last edited:
rbbm
July 27, 2023
''Channel 2′s Karyn Greer exclusively sat down with a criminal profiler who is working to train new profilers using Janness’ murder.''

''He says one of the first things that stood out to him was the brutality of the crime.
Janness’ private areas were also mutilated by her attacker.''
“If you see that type of behavior, then that is most often associated with some strong sexual desires or gratification by an offender,” he said. “If this was some type of lust murderer that’s driven by his fantasies to murder people and is sexually excited by that, then typically, most often in those cases, the victim is unknown to the offender.”

''Atlanta Police said on Friday that Janness’ death is not a cold case, at this point. Belli agreed.
“Not in my opinion, no. I don't think that two years is enough time,” Belli said, later explaining that sometimes police just need the right person to call in a tip. “Sometimes folks don't realize necessarily that they have the information. Very commonly, we ask people to call in about if they saw something strange when in reality we just want them to call in and say what they saw, if they saw anything, if they were close to that area during that time. Because what they may not think is strange may be actually key to the case.”

We don't yet know where she entered the park, do we? KJ was obviously comfortable walking in the general area late at night, as it sounds like she did it regularly. Whether she went inside the park during these walks is not clear to me, but I guess I'm willing to assume that perhaps she didn't need to have a reason to go into that entrance, because she might have already been in the park, maybe actually on her way out though that entrance.

The bathroom has always bothered me. Even if it was locked, its presence and proximity to the crime makes we wonder. There's also a vending machine and trash can on the outside. Maybe someone was at the vending, or using drugs, or waiting for a meetup, or simply hiding behind that building, whatever. Or it might have no bearing on the crime. IDK.

Now if the bathroom was open, I might be inclined to wonder if KJ tied Bowie's leash to something outside while she went in, and that's when he was killed. But we just don't know. We really don't know much of anything in this case, at all.

Is very scary to me that this killer is still out there (assuming he's alive and not incarcerated for something else).
No, we really don’t know much in this case because APD is not saying anything, which I think is a mistake. So, all we can do is put scenarios out hoping something will trigger someone’s memory.

Still, to my scenario, I don’t think Katie necessarily thought her ploy to go in to use the bathroom would work. She was likely hoping he would say good night and keep walking. But we all know the type of person who just keeps pushing to get their way and it’s difficult to say no because you don’t want a confrontation. That may be what happened and how he was able to end up holding Bowie’s leash. If Katie had a plan, it unfortunately didn’t work.

As to the possibility that Katie entered the park at the 12th St. entrance and she was exiting at Charles Allen. That’s what I’ve thought for a long time and played with different scenarios. There’s lots that makes sense about the killer’s opportunity if that were the case. One thing about that, however, just doesn’t make sense to me: the timeline for it to happen that way. Katie crossed the Rainbow Intersection at @12:10 am. To walk to the 12th St. entrance, it would be @12:20 am. Then, walking to the CA entrance would put the time at @12:30 or 12:35 am, when the attack would then begin. We do know the jogger went into the park at 12:46 am. The killer probably took/needed 15-20 min. to do what he did to Katie. So, the killing would still be ongoing when the jogger was there. I find it hard to believe the jogger wouldn’t have seen the attack. I do understand how he may not have seen Katie’s body if the murder was over.

Again, who knows anything except it was a gruesome, horrific, unbelievable murder. But, it happened and Katie and Bowie and Emma and Katie’s family deserves all of keeping our attention on finding the murderer and trying to do what we can to keep the public’s attention on it to keep pressure on the APD.

No, we really don’t know much in this case because APD is not saying anything, which I think is a mistake. So, all we can do is put scenarios out hoping something will trigger someone’s memory.

Still, to my scenario, I don’t think Katie necessarily thought her ploy to go in to use the bathroom would work. She was likely hoping he would say good night and keep walking. But we all know the type of person who just keeps pushing to get their way and it’s difficult to say no because you don’t want a confrontation. That may be what happened and how he was able to end up holding Bowie’s leash. If Katie had a plan, it unfortunately didn’t work.

As to the possibility that Katie entered the park at the 12th St. entrance and she was exiting at Charles Allen. That’s what I’ve thought for a long time and played with different scenarios. There’s lots that makes sense about the killer’s opportunity if that were the case. One thing about that, however, just doesn’t make sense to me: the timeline for it to happen that way. Katie crossed the Rainbow Intersection at @12:10 am. To walk to the 12th St. entrance, it would be @12:20 am. Then, walking to the CA entrance would put the time at @12:30 or 12:35 am, when the attack would then begin. We do know the jogger went into the park at 12:46 am. The killer probably took/needed 15-20 min. to do what he did to Katie. So, the killing would still be ongoing when the jogger was there. I find it hard to believe the jogger wouldn’t have seen the attack. I do understand how he may not have seen Katie’s body if the murder was over.

Again, who knows anything except it was a gruesome, horrific, unbelievable murder. But, it happened and Katie and Bowie and Emma and Katie’s family deserves all of keeping our attention on finding the murderer and trying to do what we can to keep the public’s attention on it to keep pressure on the APD.
Agree to all. The timeline is tight, and of course we don't know what the jogger saw, or if he even understood what he was seeing if he did see something. But I don't know... how long does it really take to kill and mutilate someone? Does it really take more than a few minutes if the killer doesn't want it to? He was in a public place where anyone could have walked upon them at any time. More we just don't know.

Thanks. I’m sure the police probably checked that when they got on scene. I’ve just been running through scenarios, one of which is that the killer ran into Katie at the tavern, perhaps he had seen her previously. That night he followed her to corner of 10th & Piedmont on the north side of 10th. He asked if he could walk with her down 10th toward Charles Allen. Being the nice person Katie was, she agreed. When they reached the Charles Allen entrance, perhaps Katie tried to ditch him by saying she had to use the restroom just inside the park. He said he would walk with her, hold Bowie’s leash while she went in the restroom. Assuming the restroom was open, Katie went in. The killer then stabbed Bowie. When Katie came out she saw him stabbing Bowie and ran. The killer ran after her. This just one possible scenario.
In that case he would have registered on many home/business security cams lining 10th Street including the one that caught the runner. If that were the scenario, wldnt the likelihood of the case being solved by now be pretty high?

Agree to all. The timeline is tight, and of course we don't know what the jogger saw, or if he even understood what he was seeing if he did see something. But I don't know... how long does it really take to kill and mutilate someone? Does it really take more than a few minutes if the killer doesn't want it to? He was in a public place where anyone could have walked upon them at any time. More we just don't know.
DA Fani Willis stated that the killer hung around the scene for a while. Which boggles the mind. True psychopathy to be that close to 10th and not fear being observed. My thought regarding the runner was he might have thought he was observing some other kind of activity that Piedmont Park at night is known for.

I was actually replying to RetLawyer; it wasn’t my intention to suggest that one of the particular population who hangs out at night may have killed Katie; the converse, I believe. IMO, there were many more people in the park who weren't and aren’t killers at any given time than who are. She was sought out. The latest comments made regarding her going into the bathroom or not all do make sense.

Thanks for clarifying that you quoted my post but were replying to someone else; no big deal, happens all the time and I've done it myself.

I just wanted to be sure that if my post could be easily misconstrued, people understood that I didn't mean that just because a person is same-sex attracted or interested in anonymous/public sex they are therefore also more likely to be the perpetrator of a murder like this one. Some might make that leap but I was only commenting on things contributing to the park's policy on restroom hours.

I do think the restroom and its proximity could be significant. Police would want to know the flow of the crime, how he entered and left the scene. Did it provide a hiding spot? Did he inadvertently leave any blood evidence behind (think of a bloody hand leaning against a wall)? Throw anything away?

And like others here I question if we are overestimating the time it took to do what the murderer did. I think a person with emotions running high could do it much quicker than we imagine. Possibly five minutes or even less.

In that case he would have registered on many home/business security cams lining 10th Street including the one that caught the runner. If that were the scenario, wldnt the likelihood of the case being solved by now be pretty high?
You’d think so. But we haven’t seen any security camera footage of Emma entering the park or coming back out to make the 911 call. Also no camera footage of Katie and Bowie entering the park at either 12th St or 10th & CA. Or, at least none the APD has released.

Thanks for clarifying that you quoted my post but were replying to someone else; no big deal, happens all the time and I've done it myself.

I just wanted to be sure that if my post could be easily misconstrued, people understood that I didn't mean that just because a person is same-sex attracted or interested in anonymous/public sex they are therefore also more likely to be the perpetrator of a murder like this one. Some might make that leap but I was only commenting on things contributing to the park's policy on restroom hours.

I do think the restroom and its proximity could be significant. Police would want to know the flow of the crime, how he entered and left the scene. Did it provide a hiding spot? Did he inadvertently leave any blood evidence behind (think of a bloody hand leaning against a wall)? Throw anything away?

And like others here I question if we are overestimating the time it took to do what the murderer did. I think a person with emotions running high could do it much quicker than we imagine. Possibly five minutes or even less.
I agree that calculating the time the murderer took is difficult. Pretty sure though he couldn’t have don it in 5 min or less. Maybe 10 min.

I agree that calculating the time the murderer took is difficult. Pretty sure though he couldn’t have don it in 5 min or less. Maybe 10 min.

I don't want to double down on an exact time because there are so many factors that we just don't know. But my opinion is, it was very quick. Think of the people who are stabbed multiple times/mutilated while in prison. It can occur in seconds especially if you have a strong, athletic perpetrator and the victim is fighting for their life.

I think this particular attack happened in a frenzy and the fact that her private areas seem to have been targeted points to a very disturbed, highly emotionally aroused individual. I think the offender did more than he needed to kill her, not because he was mad at her personally but because the violence brought him a great deal of gratification.

They are significantly understaffed/underfunded with sideways pressure from the stop-cop-city movement (so it’s not popular or politically lucrative to properly fund APD). Add to that, they are inundated and have been with gang activity in all iterations and so it seems most LE attn goes in that direction.

DA Fani Willis’ office is bogged down w Trump et al and also prosecuting gangs. All that to say I think KJ and Bowie are way down on the list. I am not familiar w the inner workings of APD or how to even go about advocating on behalf of Katie but absolutely available. How do we go about it?
This may be true, but I don't think it has much to do with the strategy of silence, which has been going on since minute 1. I don't think there is any traction be had in trying to change their minds now. It's so entrenched now, I feel it's either because it would frighten the city to release more grisly info without answers/suspect or all the rest is "hold back" details (which would be an oddly considerable amount, I think.)

I think the FBI is really driving this now. If you watch the 2 year anniversary presser, the deference to the FBI is clear. The det in charge mentioned the FBI gets everything first and then gives to APD. I think we are hearing exactly what the FBI wants us to hear, which is as little as possible.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked they've managed to keep multiple witnesses to the bodies of KJ and Bowie absolutely quiet once they got Emma's dad, JC, under control. I'm sure circles know and hear and I'm sure some has gotten out but not to msm.

IMO they have no idea who did this. I think their quiet desperation and concern is clear in that presser. I highly recommend it, it is linked here somewhere, either this or thread 4 (or can easily google): the lead detective does speak, they expressly doubled down on what will not discuss (forensics/technology/profile/theory) their carefulness in speaking to not mess up is almost unnerving to me and I came away thinking they have a ton of evidence and not a clue who did it.

Direct question was posed by press on what profile looks like and Chief of Homicide wouldn't go there, he talked around it never addressing it. Direct question of DNA, same. And on. Finally, the body language and the pervasive sense of what is NOT being said is something they really don't want to tell you. Interestingly maybe, the Det either wears a hearing aid or had an ear piece in feeding him/coaching him...it's clear in his left ear on the presser video.

I think they are working as hard as possible and I truly thought they are all carrying a heavy burden and it shows. If the evidence isn't there yet I'm not sure what we can expect them to do.

The lead detective talks to KJs mother weekly, he said. I do not think they are not doing their jobs. I think they are but there is nothing to do until something else presents, as frustrating as this is. As Dr.King noted...“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice”. It's just not bending at OUR pace.

Also, on an earlier thread, the necropsy was discussed..they are not public so not released and nobody at that point was sure who even did it because FBI denied they did as did APD.

I've been on here 13 years and lurked 2 before that...this one is like an extra powerful gut punch. They all are gut punches but this one is just.... overwhelming

All MOO! I'm really thankful for all the discussion and hope all the ideas can get us all somewhere more towards justice.

Edited to fix broken emoji

Last edited:
This may be true, but I don't think it has much to do with the strategy of silence, which has been going on since minute 1. I don't think there is any traction be had in trying to change their minds now. It's so entrenched now, I feel it's either because it would frighten the city to release more grisly info without answers/suspect or all the rest is "hold back" details (which would be an oddly considerable amount, I think.)

I think the FBI is really driving this now. If you watch the 2 year anniversary presser, the deference to the FBI is clear. The det in charge mentioned the FBI gets everything first and then gives to APD. I think we are hearing exactly what the FBI wants us to hear, which is as little as possible.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked they've managed to keep multiple witnesses to the bodies of KJ and Bowie absolutely quiet once they got Emma's dad, JC, under control. I'm sure circles know and hear and I'm sure some has gotten out but not to msm.

IMO they have no idea who did this. I think their quiet desperation and concern is clear in that presser. I highly recommend it, it is linked here somewhere, either this or thread 4 (or can easily google): the lead detective does speak, they expressly doubled down on what will not discuss (forensics/technology/profile/theory) their carefulness in speaking to not mess up is almost unnerving to me and I came away thinking they have a ton of evidence and not a clue who did it.

Direct question was posed by press on what profile looks like and Chief of Homicide wouldn't go there, he talked around it never addressing it. Direct question of DNA, same. And on. Finally, the body language and the pervasive sense of what is NOT being said is something they really don't want to tell you. Interestingly maybe, the Det either wears a hearing aid or had an ear piece in feeding him/coaching him...it's clear in his left ear on the presser video.

I think they are working as hard as possible and I truly thought they are all carrying a heavy burden and it shows. If the evidence isn't there yet I'm not sure what we can expect them to do.

The lead detective talks to KJs mother weekly, he said. I do not think they are not doing their jobs. I think they are but there is nothing to do until something else presents, as frustrating as this is. As Dr.King noted...“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice”. It's just not bending at OUR pace.

Also, on an earlier thread, the necropsy was discussed..they are not public so not released and nobody at that point was sure who even did it because FBI denied they did as did APD.

I've been on here 13 years and lurked 2 before that...this one is like an extra powerful gut punch. They all are gut punches but this one is just.... overwhelming

All MOO! I'm really thankful for all the discussion and hope all the ideas can get us all somewhere more towards justice.

Agree 100% with all of this. The fact that the FBI is involved at all tells us something very significant about this. I don't believe for one minute that they are quiet because they don't know what they are doing.

I agree with you, too. IMO, this is not just about finding KJ's killer, it's about trying to stay ahead of him before he kills again, because he will. The silence itself might be the bait, based on his profile. JMO.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prosoham
Back