4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there are any legitimate grounds for a lawsuit (that doesn't mean one won't be filed, however).
There is no evidence Washington State University knew, or should have known, that BK was homicidal. The reports we have are that he was kind of a weird dude, socially awkward, and had misogynistic tendencies.
There is no evidence that Idaho University had any prior knowledge of BK. Idaho had no obligation to provide 24 hour security at an off-campus private house.
Moscow LE only knew that BK had a traffic ticket. The US Supreme Court has ruled that LE has no obligation to prevent crimes.
BK could be sued, but he has no money ... and his future job prospects are poor.

In addition to the witnesses, his defense requested a cell tower investigation to help build an alibi, which would potentially delay the trial further after Kohberger waived his right to a speedy trial back in August. At the hearing, prosecutors were opposed to providing Kohberger's team the extra time, arguing the suspect could use it to form an alibi based on discovery material, per the outlet.

"It frankly causes the state great alarm that the defense is discussing calling upwards of 400 witnesses during the innocence phase," a deputy prosecutor told Judge John Judge during a Feb. 28 hearing, per Fox News, "when we potentially don't have a full alibi disclosure."

can someone explain to me what this means??

I don't think there are any legitimate grounds for a lawsuit (that doesn't mean one won't be filed, however).
There is no evidence Washington State University knew, or should have known, that BK was homicidal. The reports we have are that he was kind of a weird dude, socially awkward, and had misogynistic tendencies.
There is no evidence that Idaho University had any prior knowledge of BK. Idaho had no obligation to provide 24 hour security at an off-campus private house.
Moscow LE only knew that BK had a traffic ticket. The US Supreme Court has ruled that LE has no obligation to prevent crimes.
BK could be sued, but he has no money ... and his future job prospects are poor.
As we know, anybody can sue anybody for anything- as this case drags itself out the families probably get angrier and angrier---- some of them may entertain a thought of a lawsuit-- that doesn't mean there are grounds for a suit--- maybe the thought they have that as recourse helps them sleep better.

To me they were going after the MPD + other supporting LE.

This because they are off cycle, out of context complaing about an unsearched (in their opinion) trash can in KGs room -- long after BKs arrest.
MOO they were prepping for a no solve.

As we know, anybody can sue anybody for anything- as this case drags itself out the families probably get angrier and angrier---- some of them may entertain a thought of a lawsuit-- that doesn't mean there are grounds for a suit--- maybe the thought they have that as recourse helps them sleep better.
Any thoughts on the parents suing the manufacturer of the knife BK used? Of course, if the knife in question was never recovered by police, that would probably make the idea moot even though they know he ordered one from Ebay and they have the sheath.

I have often wondered if our justice system has gone overboard for the "rights of the accused". I also believe that there is a lack of transparency on how much money is spent/given for the defense of accused.

Granted, there is a balance, but shouldn't there be a limit on time and money? The law really isn't that complicated. But has been turned inside out by defense attorneys seeking loopholes and exceptions.
Where I am if the lawyer is Legal Aid and some other cases there is an average hourly rate, and limits on time are under review and discussed on an ongoing basis. (Off topic one notorious defendant I knew fired 3 Legal Aid lawyers . Precedent case, he had HIV, married with kids, slept with about 50 women, 11 of those ladies with no protection and did not tell them, and 2 of those ladies died. Horrific) he is still locked up.

There is starting to be some major internet coverage as to the delays, even calls for replacing the judge. Is AT going to extremes to exonerate BK or to make a name for herself or all of the above? She was hired for the position, can she be unhired?
That's a lot of questions. i am confident that behind the scenes there is monitoring etc including by the ones paying AT's invoices. And calling for the judge to be replaced is internet silliness imo. JMO

Any thoughts on the parents suing the manufacturer of the knife BK used? Of course, if the knife in question was never recovered by police, that would probably make the idea moot even though they know he ordered one from Ebay and they have the sheath.
What could they be sued for? Is it an illegal weapon or something?

After this trial is over and before appeals begin and a final cost for the trial has been calculated, I sense there could be a backlash against AT by the Idaho taxpayers. Who would have the authority to remove her from her position, if possible?
Jmo wouldn't happen. And backlash if any might be directed at those paying her invoices ime. Jmo

Naked man is misinformation. "The English Mirror" said the naked man information came from the PCA and we know the PCA does not say this by any stretch of the imagination.
RSBM for focus. And bolded by me.
This bears repeating, since information on misinformation gets lost among all the posts.

Personally, I wouldn't believe anything I read in "The Mirror" from the UK without checking a different source like BBC, The Guardian etc.
MOO

Accused are supposed to have right to a trial within a reasonable period. They can waive that right if they choose. We have a DP case on WS, that the accused has made delay after delay, why not? He has nothing to look forward to, but death row.

The Pike County, Ohio murders were committed in 2016, and one of the alleged perpetrators is supposed to go on trial in May, 8 years after the killings.

The Pike County, Ohio murders were committed in 2016, and one of the alleged perpetrators is supposed to go on trial in May, 8 years after the killings.
Thanks for this post. What it makes me realize is that the unanswered questions and mysteries that continue to surround this case is what's driving a lot of the narrative around Kohlberger's team delaying.

We are a lot more patient in cases where the situation is black and white.

All of the above is written from my own personal experience. As I'm often frustrated with the defense's tactics in this case.

I will add that whatever the family is feeling is completely different and their impatience is justified.

MOO

I always struggle with the word justice with all of these terrible cases. Is anything other than their 4 precious children being alive again really justice? :confused: :confused:

Perhaps the innate duality which finds expression in the phrase, "Justice in this world, or in the Next", may be helpful, conceptually at least. There's an aura of consolation inherent too, which I'm pretty sure many of us can acknowledge.

"Literal Justice" would by definition be tangible; "material", if you will. Of earthly examples I am unaware.

jmovho

The parents have to be heartbroken, hurt, angry. The knife is used for hunting, and it would be a hard case to win. MOO

In addition to the witnesses, his defense requested a cell tower investigation to help build an alibi, which would potentially delay the trial further after Kohberger waived his right to a speedy trial back in August. At the hearing, prosecutors were opposed to providing Kohberger's team the extra time, arguing the suspect could use it to form an alibi based on discovery material, per the outlet.

"It frankly causes the state great alarm that the defense is discussing calling upwards of 400 witnesses during the innocence phase," a deputy prosecutor told Judge John Judge during a Feb. 28 hearing, per Fox News, "when we potentially don't have a full alibi disclosure."

can someone explain to me what this means??
When we don't have "full alibi disclosure." I'll say! "Out driving"?? If that's the "alibi," the trial and subsequent conviction will serve as truly "full" disclosure, MOO.

I still can't believe this "alibi."

A knife made speciically to kill humans, I can't see what the suit coiuld be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donna_Avery