Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edited: excerpt from this article contains more info on how the friends were separated Riley Strain: 22-year-old Mizzou student missing in Nashville

"A friend of Strain’s attempted to leave the bar with him as security led Strain out of the bar around 9:30 p.m., but the security team would not let him out at that point.

By the time Strain’s friend was let out of the bar, Strain had already left the outside area of the bar. Another one of Strain’s friends called Strain. On the phone, Strain told them he was heading back to the hotel room."

MOO but why wouldn't security let the friend out with Riley? Much safer when an inebriated person has a buddy with them to get home. I wonder if there is footage from the bar?

Praying Riley will be found safe.
That's a great question, I can't think of ANY reason they would not let him leave, except he had not yet paid his tab. What a nightmare!

That's a great question, I can't think of ANY reason they would not let him leave, except he had not yet paid his tab. What a nightmare!
The bar said this wasn't true, and that this friend decided to stay at that point. Whether or not he stayed to simply pay his tab, it doesn't appear the search for Riley began until the following morning, when they realized he hadn't made it back to the hotel.

Springfield is not a small town, and that is what he is used to navigating. I could see if he had been in NYC, gotten smashed, and then separated from his friends and got lost. But Nashville is only so big. I live in Portland and it has a bigger city/metro population than Nashville does. And it generally feels like a small town.

I wonder if he was on any medication that might have not mixed well with alcohol? And he was carrying his phone, I wonder why he didn’t just call for a taxi rather than wander around aimlessly like that? Somethings off here.
He certainly would have, had he been thinking straight, methinks. The young man was obviously impaired and lost in a strange city. I will testify that I have been lost in a strange city a few times, and I have become panicky trying to get out of there. Everyone has heard the stories about tourists who take a wrong turn and end up in bad neighborhoods. I feel like he was becoming quite anxious and confused when he was seen in the video by the water. Logic goes out the window when panic rears up. JMO

He certainly would have, had he been thinking straight, methinks. The young man was obviously impaired and lost in a strange city. I will testify that I have been lost in a strange city a few times, and I have become panicky trying to get out of there. Everyone has heard the stories about tourists who take a wrong turn and end up in bad neighborhoods. I feel like he was becoming quite anxious and confused when he was seen in the video by the water. Logic goes out the window when panic rears up. JMO
Yes, panic makes everything go even more wrong; I’ve been there myself, and it’s too bad that he couldn’t call one of his friends at that point, but obviously he couldn’t. :(

That’s a thought, and could possibly explain his severe intoxication.
I dunno. My nieces/nephews are super tall. One nephew is 6' 7" and his girlfriend is 6' 4''. But then we are all of Dutch heritage...the newer generations in the Netherlands are very tall. Not me, at 5' 7".
Is one of Riley's parents of Northern European heritage?

I dunno. My nieces/nephews are super tall. One nephew is 6' 7" and his girlfriend is 6' 4''. But then we are all of Dutch heritage...the newer generations in the Netherlands are very tall. Not me, at 5' 7".
Is one of Riley's parents of Northern European heritage?
Yes, I don’t know his heritage but that would be an alternative explanation.

The bar contends that they only served Riley one alcoholic drink and 2 waters. They would not have any idea if any of his frat buddies bought him a few more. Could he have been roofied ? Maybe ...

Often, the simplest explanation is the correct one. Given his phone stopped pinging right next to the river and given the condition he was in, he probably fell into the river and drowned. The body may not surface for days or not at all if it's hung up on underwater debris.

What I don't understand is why the buddy who came outside with him couldn't hail a cab or call an Uber. Or better yet, ride with Riley to the hotel and get him to his room/bed.

MAR 16, 2024
Saturday morning, crews searched along the Cumberland River, in the area Riley was last seen.

The Office of Emergency Management says they utilized a dive team, K9's, drones and sonar technology to try to find Riley, but there's been no sign of him yet.

In the meantime, Riley's parents and stepparents (who prefer, simply, parents), say they won't stop until they find him.

"I haven't talked to my boy for over a week, and it's hard," said his mother Michelle, who says they talked, texted or FaceTimed every day.

The bar contends that they only served Riley one alcoholic drink and 2 waters. They would not have any idea if any of his frat buddies bought him a few more. Could he have been roofied ? Maybe ...

Often, the simplest explanation is the correct one. Given his phone stopped pinging right next to the river and given the condition he was in, he probably fell into the river and drowned. The body may not surface for days or not at all if it's hung up on underwater debris.

What I don't understand is why the buddy who came outside with him couldn't hail a cab or call an Uber. Or better yet, ride with Riley to the hotel and get him to his room/

As much as we would like to think these young men “should’ve” done this or that, they were 21-22 years old. They were all out to party, and the idea that someone needed to help him back to the hotel-or help him at all-likely never happened. We are talking about college boys. They mature slower than girls. I remember that my friends and I thought we were invincible at that age! The thought that this might happen probably never crossed one of their minds.

What I don't understand is why the buddy who came outside with him couldn't hail a cab or call an Uber. Or better yet, ride with Riley to the hotel and get him to his room/bed.
Sadly, I agree that this is the most likely scenario. And having my own 22 year old son who is my everything, I feel so horrible for Riley's mom and family. This has to be an unbearable experience, with all the what ifs and unknowns. When my kids were young, I remember someone telling me that as a parent: "girls will drive you mad with worry; boys will break your heart."

That would seem to be worth running down.

As other members have stated, the reason may simply of been because he was too drunk. This is, of course, entirely possible.

Yet at the end of the day, and even factoring in the possibility that Nashville's bars stand to lose in a "Spring Break!- Anything goes!" type environment and thus have a lower standard for "too drunk".....

Its still a large bar and one would think that a customer would need to be pretty dang over the top drunk to stand out as such. Likewise, many bars would probably give a warning along the lines of "You are cut off and need to get under control" before booting somebody out.

Then again, maybe they did give a warning as he did have two waters? Even still, was there another reason?

Maybe gave a female customer or waitress some unwanted attention after she told him that she was not interested? He does not seem to be that type- but as many members know, some people just dont mix well with alcohol.

If there was another reason, could that support a motive?

In the meantime, Riley's parents and stepparents (who prefer, simply, parents), say they won't stop until they find him.

"I haven't talked to my boy for over a week, and it's hard," said his mother Michelle, who says they talked, texted or FaceTimed every day.
Ugh...this breaks my heart :(. I wonder if she still thinks he's alive...that's what the quote sounds like, if taken at face value. It must be excruciating not having that closure and feeling hope that he could turn up at some point. Even if she knows he's gone in her head, sometimes you can't fend off the hope in your heart.

I keep praying for him (dead or alive) and his family but I just can't see any way that he's still alive...and I hate that.

This story led me to find this website, to refresh constantly, and now to make an account. I just can't get Riley & his family out of my head. I guess he's in my head to ensure that he's in my prayers.

Ugh...this breaks my heart :(. I wonder if she still thinks he's alive...that's what the quote sounds like, if taken at face value. It must be excruciating not having that closure and feeling hope that he could turn up at some point. Even if she knows he's gone in her head, sometimes you can't fend off the hope in your heart.

I keep praying for him (dead or alive) and his family but I just can't see any way that he's still alive...and I hate that.

This story led me to find this website, to refresh constantly, and now to make an account. I just can't get Riley & his family out of my head. I guess he's in my head to ensure that he's in my prayers.
Welcome, hope you will stay. I agree with everything you posted.
This case, most likely a tragedy, may hopefully be one of many that find their way into sticking into the minds of those younger than Riley. They need many, many reminders sadly. We may never know how many lives he will have changed. JMO

As much as we would like to think these young men “should’ve” done this or that, they were 21-22 years old. They were all out to party, and the idea that someone needed to help him back to the hotel-or help him at all-likely never happened. We are talking about college boys. They mature slower than girls. I remember that my friends and I thought we were invincible at that age! The thought that this might happen probably never crossed one of their minds.

Agreed with all of this as I've been there done that. But seeing the videos and that Riley could barely walk, did the friend who came outside with Riley think first, could he even walk back to the hotel and second, did Riley even know where the hotel was. IMO, there's more to the bar story.

I wanted to reference the official "go fund me" sorry...somehow I didn't include that in my first post. Is the info from there considered msm or verified? The ping info and times of search are a little different than I first saw

MAR 16, 2024
On Saturday, Strain’s father, Ryan Gilbert, told News 2 the family has learned Strain’s Apple Watch location services had never been set up, ruining a lead they were hoping would bring them answers.

“We’re ready to get this over with. We want some answers,” Gilbert said. “We’re a week in, it’s not getting any easier. Time seems like it’s really to the critical point, and we want to ask anybody, if they know anything, to please share it.”

A man who's part of Nashville's homeless community speaks out for the first time on seeing missing college student Riley Strain walking his last known path.

[...]

... Tonight, we're hearing from one of the last people who potentially saw Riley before his trail stops.

[...]

Last edited:
MAR 16, 2024
Riley Strain’s mother and stepfather aren't giving up hope that they will eventually find their 22-year-old son, who has been missing since March 8.

"We’re still, you know, actively planning to bring Riley home with us," Strain's stepfather, Chris Whiteid, told NBC News in an interview Saturday, just over a week since his stepson went missing.

But even as they confront their darkest moment, Chris Whiteid and his wife Michelle Whiteid said the outpouring of support and the search efforts of those in the community have "restored our faith in people."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member