Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting development IMO - the apparent ruling that MS died as a result of an act of domestic violence…… now wonder if someone in addition to SS might have been involved? Or is at least aware of details? And that might also be reason for the somewhat confusing yet aligned stories and similar statements given when MS was first reported missing? MOO

domestic violence sure doesn't clear anything up for me as to the where and the how Madi died. :(

ETA nor does it help me understand if she died at the home of her mother, how did her mother not hear this violence?

It sure does make me wonder, if anyone else was involved in any way, why there's been no additional arrests yet.
I can see not adding a murder charge to him (yet) because he's not going anywhere anyway.
But if there was any evidence at all implicating anyone else, it does seem like there would have been an arrest by now.

jmo

Well, they specified her death was related to an act of domestic violence, not that the COD is domestic violence. They won’t release the manner of death or autopsy report since she’s a minor.

My guess now is she was killed in the course of being assaulted.
I agree with you, but hope we’re both wrong.

domestic violence sure doesn't clear anything up for me as to the where and the how Madi died. :(

ETA nor does it help me understand if she died at the home of her mother, how did her mother not hear this violence?
I looked at the actual statute earlier (linked a few pages back I think) and the statute does indicate a death in the place of residence. (link below)
As for how the mother didn't hear, I suppose there are ways you can take someone's life without a sound, or much of one. Strangling or suffocating would do it. :(

(2) “Domestic violence” means any assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another family or household member.
(3) “Family or household member” means spouses, former spouses, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who are presently residing together as if a family or who have resided together in the past as if a family, and persons who are parents of a child in common regardless of whether they have been married. With the exception of persons who have a child in common, the family or household members must be currently residing or have in the past resided together in the same single dwelling unit.

So yes, she died at home. :(

Last edited:
This article says the 911 callers name(s) have been redacted. Why? It sounds like people began searching for Maddie before police arrived. How many people were looking? Who? What was mom like during that time while waiting for police?

It’s maddening not to have answers to these and many other questions yet.
The article says that the Sheriff's dept. released this recordings, which I take to mean it was done legally (ie. not leaked) so I'd presume there is a legal requirement to redact the caller information. Since the calls were "released," though, where are they?

The audio sounds like two different callers to me. The first one sounds like it could be JS's mom, based on the slight accent and the location.

The second one is more confusing--it is not JS*, but someone with JS--where were they? We hadn't heard anything before about other people being involved in the initial search between school pick up time and the missing persons report. Not that I would expect JS or LE to specifically mention it to the public, but based on what is out there I really had thought that only JS, SS, and maybe JS's mom were there. Goes to show how much we don't know.

*I mean, it could be JS, but it would be extremely bizarre and unnecessary for her to lie about that

The article says that the Sheriff's dept. released this recordings, which I take to mean it was done legally (ie. not leaked) so I'd presume there is a legal requirement to redact the caller information. Since the calls were "released," though, where are they?

The audio sounds like two different callers to me. The first one sounds like it could be JS's mom, based on the slight accent and the location.

The second one is more confusing--it is not JS*, but someone with JS--where were they? We hadn't heard anything before about other people being involved in the initial search between school pick up time and the missing persons report. Not that I would expect JS or LE to specifically mention it to the public, but based on what is out there I really had thought that only JS, SS, and maybe JS's mom were there. Goes to show how much we don't know.

*I mean, it could be JS, but it would be extremely bizarre and unnecessary for her to lie about that
Re: the second person - since the initial info was that somehow JS's sister knew about the church surveillance video and told JS about it (JS mentions this in one of her interviews, I think the one where she's got the anxiety shakes) - and the person on the 911 is also talking about MS being at the church (and saying she's been missing since 8am, which is indeed curious), I suspect that person might be JS's sister?

Also yes, I can guarantee there's a ton the public doesn't know. There always is.

It sure does make me wonder, if anyone else was involved in any way, why there's been no additional arrests yet.
I can see not adding a murder charge to him (yet) because he's not going anywhere anyway.
But if there was any evidence at all implicating anyone else, it does seem like there would have been an arrest by now.

jmo
That's been my biggest hang-up with the theory that the mother was also involved. I understand the delay in charging HIM. But I don't believe law enforcement would let the mother remain free so they can "build their case". That case is useless if the mother does something drastic (read: self-harm) while free. The risks of allowing her to remain free outweigh the risk of prematurely detaining her. IMO.

I'm trying to understand domestic violence so doing some reading on the topic. I thought I'd share a few things.

Domestic violence, spousal abuse, battering, or intimate partner violence, is typically the victimization of an individual with whom the abuser has an intimate or romantic relationship. The CDC defines domestic violence as "physical violence, sexual violence, stalking, and psychological aggression (including coercive acts) by a current or former intimate partner."

Domestic violence victims typically experience severe physical injuries requiring care at a hospital or clinic.

Intimate Partner Abuse

Approximately one-third of women and one-fifth of men will be victims of abuse. The most common sites of injuries are the head, neck, and face. Clothes may cover injuries to the body, breasts, genitals, rectum, and buttocks.

There's a whole lot more info in the SOURCE. I only copied and pasted a few small sections.

I'm trying to understand domestic violence so doing some reading on the topic. I thought I'd share a few things.

Domestic violence, spousal abuse, battering, or intimate partner violence, is typically the victimization of an individual with whom the abuser has an intimate or romantic relationship. The CDC defines domestic violence as "physical violence, sexual violence, stalking, and psychological aggression (including coercive acts) by a current or former intimate partner."

Domestic violence victims typically experience severe physical injuries requiring care at a hospital or clinic.

Intimate Partner Abuse

Approximately one-third of women and one-fifth of men will be victims of abuse. The most common sites of injuries are the head, neck, and face. Clothes may cover injuries to the body, breasts, genitals, rectum, and buttocks.

There's a whole lot more info in the SOURCE. I only copied and pasted a few small sections.
Wouldn’t domestic violence cover children against parents, parents against children, sibling against sibling and so on, if living in the same home?

I want to know why it took multiple 911 calls to get the police to respond to a missing child, 3+ hours after she was reported missing.
I know in this particular case, it wouldn't have made a difference; however, in some cases, it could mean life or death of a child! I'm thinking of CS in Moreau State Park in NY where she was kidnapped from a campground and found alive.

I would have sent someone to the police station in person or called some local officials or even the media to get all eyes looking for my kid!

Any possibility JS and SS were engaged in a physical fight, Maddie got in the middle to stop it, and died as a result of it. As in, was pushed, hit her head…
The information we got today states ME report won’t be released to public bc it “involves a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence.”

And maybe that’s why we aren’t seeing a faster response to murder charges.

Interesting the one 911 caller who clarifies she is calling o. behalf of JS says MS had been missing since 8am.
IMO this implies by the time of this call, JS and company had been made aware that MS did not show up to school, so she would have been (according to the story) “missing” since SS dropped her off at the church after 8.

That does make me wonder…when were these calls placed? Was that part of the information that the Sheriff’s department apparently released to WFTV?

This video has what sounds like three complete calls:
Call 1: by Person 1, could possibly be JS’s sister. She gives a description of MS, says MS has been missing since 8am, doesn’t have her phone, takes ADHD medication, etc. She says her [redacted, but I’m guessing if this is the sister, she’s talking about her mother] and JS are going back to the school, but she is going to stay where she is for when deputies arrive.
Call 2: by Person 2 who I am guessing is JS’s mom. She asks when a deputy is going to arrive and is told no deputy is available. She says they’ve already called 911 three times and asks why no one is responding to a report of a missing child. She is audibly frustrated.
Call 3: by Person 1 and actually sounds like she gets the same dispatcher who may recognize the call. She asks when a deputy is coming, how much longer can they expect to wait, and is told no deputy is available yet and sometimes when there is a big emergency in the area, deputies are busy. Person 1 says MS has been missing since 8am and it is urgent, they need help.

It is extremely frustrating to listen to, I can’t imagine what it would feel like to call 911 and be told that your missing 13 y/o is essentially not a priority.

This video has what sounds like three complete calls:
Call 1: by Person 1, could possibly be JS’s sister. She gives a description of MS, says MS has been missing since 8am, doesn’t have her phone, takes ADHD medication, etc. She says her [redacted, but I’m guessing if this is the sister, she’s talking about her mother] and JS are going back to the school, but she is going to stay where she is for when deputies arrive.
Call 2: by Person 2 who I am guessing is JS’s mom. She asks when a deputy is going to arrive and is told no deputy is available. She says they’ve already called 911 three times and asks why no one is responding to a report of a missing child. She is audibly frustrated.
Call 3: by Person 1 and actually sounds like she gets the same dispatcher who may recognize the call. She asks when a deputy is coming, how much longer can they expect to wait, and is told no deputy is available yet and sometimes when there is a big emergency in the area, deputies are busy. Person 1 says MS has been missing since 8am and it is urgent, they need help.

It is extremely frustrating to listen to, I can’t imagine what it would feel like to call 911 and be told that your missing 13 y/o is essentially not a priority

That is extremely upsetting to read - that it took that long for police to respond. I really can’t say I understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hazelrun