April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

Songs that reference an eclipse...

I now live in Nova Scotia and our forecast for Monday is clear, sunny and in parts of our province we’re getting to see 100% coverage. So, more lear jets flying in. I’m watching out for Warren Beatty.

Carly Simon’s daughter will be here.

Mets win!
Earthquake!
Eclipse!
Devil Comet!
What’s next?

CINCINNATI — We're just days away from a total solar eclipse that will pass through a portion of the Tri-State on Monday, April 8.

The eclipse is spanning multiple states, with the partial solar eclipse beginning around 1:51 p.m. and most of our area's maximum times between 3:08-3:10 p.m. The partial eclipse then continues through 4:24 p.m. For a full list of viewing times per town, click here.

No matter where you plan to view the eclipse, thousands are expecting to flood the Tri-State area. Here are the top places you can view the phenomenon.

If interested, more at link...

Posted at 4:55 PM, Apr 03, 2024 and last updated 4:55 PM, Apr 03, 2024

The tiny town of Forest has seen its population dwindle over the last half century. But for a few days in April it's expecting to be at the center of all the action

Updated: 11:34 PM EDT March 31, 2024

And, this morning, Amazon emails to tell me that the eclipse glasses I ordered & put inn Easter baskets are not approved after all. :eek:

Groovy, Started their refund process, wonder if I really need to drive the little box to Kohl's for the return.

At least my son is 29, and can find approved ones before Mnday.

Mr Laughing admitted that he bought a pair at the grocery store -- already in the top box of a motorcycle.

Sigh.
Well darn what brand was your glasses? I am in the path for total coverage. I got glasses from Amazon and now I’m worried. Mine are called “Soluna”

I now live in Nova Scotia and our forecast for Monday is clear, sunny and in parts of our province we’re getting to see 100% coverage. So, more lear jets flying in. I’m watching out for Warren Beatty.

Carly Simon’s daughter will be here.
I wish someone would pick me up in their Learjet and take me to see the eclipse!

Mets win!
Earthquake!
Eclipse!
Devil Comet!
What’s next?

Thanks for this info--maybe at least I'll get to see one of the comets this year.

<modsnip - paywalled articles can be linked and paraphrased, but can't be quoted per copyright law>

March 26, 2024 at 5:00 a.m. EDT
As I mentioned above, we observed horses in a field that ran back to their barn during the 2017 total eclipse in SC. At the 1991 total eclipse in Mexico, we were by the ocean and there were lots of pelicans diving and feeding just offshore during the eclipse. Maybe they thought they needed to fill their bellies before night!

Last edited by a moderator:
From giant frogs swallowing the sun, to celestial marriage counseling, the folklore surrounding solar eclipses can be pretty darn wild.

The oldest definitive solar eclipse on record dates back to around 1200 B.C.E., when people in China recorded eclipses on ox bones and tortoise shells. The Bible and the Quran both mention eclipses and connect them with significant events, including the crucifixion of Jesus and the birth of Muhammad.

For many ancient cultures, a solar eclipse was a sign of doom or destruction.

In Ancient Greek mythology, it was believed an eclipse meant the gods were angry or upset. In fact, the word “eclipse” comes from the Greek word meaning abandonment or disappearance...

Just looked at a map of projected cloud cover across the path of totality in the U.S. One of the places that looks best for viewing is Carbondale, Illinois. I lived there with my family for 5 years in the 1950s and attended University School (Southern Illinois University) for junior high and the first 2 years of high school. On the greatamericaneclipse.com site, I found a photo of my former school with its distinctive clock tower:

1712347065965.png

Today the building is named Pullian Hall.
"For years, Pulliam Hall was the University School. Then it was used as a physical education area for many years. The building featured two full-sized swimming pools along with a gymnasium.

Now, Pulliam Hall serves as the home of the College of Education and Human Services. Renovations took place in 2014, as workers filled in the swimming pools and built a new level over the gymnasium."

It was a great place to go to school and I had many good friends. It was really hard to leave when we moved to NC, but I found good friends here too. My high school here was replaced by a shopping center and a new school was built.

As I mentioned above, we observed horses in a field that ran back to their barn during the 2017 total eclipse in SC. At the 1991 total eclipse in Mexico, we were by the ocean and there were lots of pelicans diving and feeding just offshore during the eclipse. Maybe they thought they needed to fill their bellies before night!
I was in Mexico for the 1991 eclipse too!

I was 8 months pregnant and my child's father came over in the morning with a small (size of fingernail) piece of red cloth, and told me I needed to put it on my forehead to protect the baby. It's a local custom. Of course I did, slapped it on with saliva! lol

And, this morning, Amazon emails to tell me that the eclipse glasses I ordered & put inn Easter baskets are not approved after all. :eek:

Groovy, Started their refund process, wonder if I really need to drive the little box to Kohl's for the return.

At least my son is 29, and can find approved ones before Mnday.

Mr Laughing admitted that he bought a pair at the grocery store -- already in the top box of a motorcycle.

Sigh.

Pinhole camera?

There will also be a livestream of the eclipse on April 8 that we can watch:
On April 8, 2024, millions of Americans will witness the rare event of a solar eclipse that will cross the continental United States. Join NOVA for a live stream prior to the eclipse where we will be joined by NASA scientists at the Kerrville Eclipse Festival in Texas!

Learn how to watch an eclipse safely, discover what eclipses can reveal to scientists about the secrets of the Sun, and hear from the eclipse festival attendees.

Thank you for posting this anneg!!

Not light reading, but good information about glasses, viewers, and some very-low-tech pinhole cameras:

Apparently, your hands work well for this -- but it would be tricky to get a picture of the eclipse image, imho?

jmho ymmv lrr

Pinhole camera?

Nah, IMO that's just plain boring compared to seeing the eclipse thru eclipse glasses! And during a partial eclipse, you can just look under a tree (with leaves) in the sun and see little images of the sun with a bite out of it on the ground.

Well darn what brand was your glasses? I am in the path for total coverage. I got glasses from Amazon and now I’m worried. Mine are called “Soluna”

you need to make sure they're certified and test them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back