Iran has launched drone attack against Israel - April 13, 2024

A tit-for-a-tat War Games.
Let's hope it's finished...for now.
I sorta understand this, but I feel like it's more than just tit for tat war games.

US servicemembers have been attacked and killed in the region this year because of the games Iran plays. They say they aren't behind it, don't support it and blah blah blah,, yet Iran continues to be allow and back these groups or whatever it is they do. When we retaliate, I don't see it as tit for tat, I see it as not giving in to the games THEY play or try to play and get away with.

This is where I think Israel is also. How many attacks do they have to deal with from Iran before they are allowed to strike back. I think that is what happened.. they have been hit my Iranian back groups repeatedly in the last few months and when they strike back, I don't see it as tit for tat.

I think Iran just made a mistake and if they think that is a tat for a tit maybe that is it, but I see it as they are playing with fire.

US forces in the region shooting down Iranian-launched drones​

Julian Borger

Julian Borger
A hastily assembled coalition including the US and UK has helped Israel shoot down Iranian drones over Jordan, Iraq and Syria in an effort to blunt the attack and prevent an uncontrollable escalation.

As a mass salvo of Iranian drones and cruise missiles neared its borders, Israel scrambled its fighter jets to intercept the incoming projectiles, according to Israeli news reports, and it was supported in the effort by its partners and neighbours.

“In accordance with our ironclad commitment to Israel’s security, US forces in the region continue to shoot down Iranian-launched drones targeting Israel,” a senior US defence official told reporters. “Our forces remain postured to provide additional defensive support and to protect US forces operating in the region.”

US and UK forces help shoot down Iranian drones over Jordan, Syria and Iraq
Read more

30m ago20.14 EDT

Jordan's air force shooting down Iranian drones in airspace - reports​

Jordan’s air force intercepted and shot down dozens of Iranian drones that violated its airspace and were heading to Israel, two regional security sources told the Reuters news agency.

Residents in several cities in the northern part of the country – near Syria – and central and southern areas heard heavy aerial activity.

In neighbourhoods south of the capital Amman, 60 km from Jerusalem, several downed drones were reportedly seen. Reuters has said that residents gathered around the remnants of one suspected large drone that fell in a commercial area of the city’s Marj al Hamam suburb.

There was no confirmation from the Jordanian government on its military role. The Iranian news agency Fars cited a source as saying that the regime in Tehran was closely monitoring Jordan’s actions which could make the Arab state “the next target” if it acted in Israel’s defence.

Jordan had earlier said it closed its airspace starting to all incoming, departing and transiting aircraft.

“The relevant authorities took the decision to close the airspace for precautionary reasons as a result of the surrounding security situation,” Jordan’s government spokesperson Muhannad Mubaideen said.

Look I understand: these 3 terrorist organizations must be destroyed. But how was bombing the Iranian embassy "fighting back"? IMO that is bringing us closer to the brink of world war. And no I don't support Iran's leadership- I pray for the innocent civilians who will get caught in this crossfire.

It wasn't random.. they bombed it because Iran was meeting with terrorists who are continuing to strike Israel. Iran might try to "stay out of it", but when they back the very groups attacking people, they can't say they aren't involved.

Look I understand: these 3 terrorist organizations must be destroyed. But how was bombing the Iranian embassy "fighting back"? IMO that is bringing us closer to the brink of world war. And no I don't support Iran's leadership- I pray for the innocent civilians who will get caught in this crossfire.

Israel was not attacking ambassadors or any of the staff; instead, acting upon intelligence, they were going after the generals who empower the terrorist organizations.

That old saying is true, you have to cut off the head of the snake.

Similar to the U.S. not giving up on killing Osama bin Laden, even though it toook ten years. It had to be done.

If Al-Qaeda did not kill thousands of innocent Americans on 9/11, Osama would still be living his caveman lifestyle. If Hamas, supported by Iran, did not commit the terror attacks of October 7th, then there would be no war in the Middle East right now. At least not this one.

It’s encouraging to see Jordan and Saudi Arabia intercepting the missiles. They know Iran is a state sponsor of terror.

IMO

ETA: I think it’s wise to always keep in mind that Iran and its proxies wish death to America, not just to Israel. I believe Israel is our first line of defense against terrorists coming after America. If Iran can do the same to America , they will not hesitate.

My opinion

Very much so.

CNN now reporting that Iran tweeted the UN again saying its retaliatory strike has now been concluded. Hopefully, Israel will not retaliate and everyone can de-escalate.
Agreed regarding de-escalation.
Please ... may the other nations stop attacking Israel.
However, I think at some point Israel may need to retaliate.
Although if self-defense is seen as retaliation by some countries, it can't be helped.
This is a struggle for Israel's survival, not only as a nation but as a people.
Omo.

Israel was not attacking ambassadors or any of the staff; instead, acting upon intelligence, they were going after the generals who empower the terrorist organizations.

Similar to the U.S. not giving up on killing Osama bin Laden, even though it toook ten years. It had to be done.

If Al-Qaeda did not kill thousands of innocent Americans on 9/11, Osama would still be living his caveman lifestyle. If Hamas, supported by Iran, did not commit the terror attacks of October 7th, then there would be no war in the Middle East right now. At least not this one.

It’s encouraging to see Jordan and Saudi Arabia intercepting the missiles. They know Iran is a state sponsor of terror.

IMO

ETA: I think it’s wise to always keep in mind that Iran and its proxies wish death to America, not just to Israel. I believe Israel is our first line of defense against terrorists coming after America. If Iran can do the same to America , they will not hesitate.

My opinion
But why bomb the embassy? Syria (where it took place) didn't even consent to it. It was pretty much a violation of international law because the target was an embassy, a "civilian object". Two civilians were killed.

From the New York Times: According to Aurel Sari, a professor of international law at Exeter University in the United Kingdom:[18]

An Israeli airstrike carried out within Syria without its consent would be in contravention of Article 2(4) of the United Nations Charter, which prohibits a state from using force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any other state... Unless Israel were able to justify any airstrike as an act of self-defense, it would be in violation of international law.

If this was "fighting back", Iran wouldn't be sending drones right now. But nope the opposite happened. This was an escalation.

A tit-for-a-tat War Games.
Let's hope it's finished...for now.

Nope. It is going to suck everyone in...this is just more of the ongoing problem that has been happening for centuries. It has never really stopped, it just keeps simmering and boiling over...let's hope that the pressure cooker doesn't blow this time.

Anyone ever see a pressure cooker explode?

But why bomb the embassy? Syria (where it took place) didn't even consent to it. It was pretty much a violation of international law because the target was an embassy, a "civilian object". Two civilians were killed.

From the New York Times: According to Aurel Sari, a professor of international law at Exeter University in the United Kingdom:[18]

If this was "fighting back", Iran wouldn't be sending drones right now. But nope the opposite happened. This was an escalation.
Did anyone confirm who it was that bombed the embassy, though? Weirder things have happened than to have some other group bomb something to set blame elsewhere. I keep looking for confirmation on the embassy building, but have seen nothing. You can tell what color the car is in my driveway, but can't tell where a missile was launched from? You can't see who went in and out of a building with a large pack? It seems like we aren't using technology properly.....

Did anyone confirm who it was that bombed the embassy, though? Weirder things have happened than to have some other group bomb something to set blame elsewhere. I keep looking for confirmation on the embassy building, but have seen nothing. You can tell what color the car is in my driveway, but can't tell where a missile was launched from? You can't see who went in and out of a building with a large pack? It seems like we aren't using technology properly.....
Israel took responsibility

Gallant says Israel 'exacts heavy price' from enemies; while Iran says Israel will 'regret this crime'

I am also not arguing, just saying I, personally, can't be sure of anything. What on Earth does "quoted four Israeli officials as saying that the IDF was behind the operation." really mean? Because Times article actually said was "Four Israeli officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence matters, confirmed that Israel had been behind the strike in Damascus, but denied that the building had diplomatic status. "(bbm).

Which means people saying they were Israeli officials that might have been lying about being officials? People who were Israeli officials that should not be saying anything and don't want to get caught saying something that might or might not be true? Totally made up "officials" to sell an article? ( cause that never happens. ...) So from what can see, no one from Israel with any identifiable name or confirmed "official" status said "Yep, we did that." At least not yet.

My point being anyone can believe what they want, I just would like to have non anonymous FACTS. If I don't have that, then what I think is no more than an opinion on something based on unknowns and conjecture.

IMO

My opinion
Excellent post. Thank you!

IMO

My opinion
And, BTW, @Arkay ….. is it ok if I leave it up to you to keep me informed on the developments of this particular situation? Only because I don’t keep up with things like this very well. And, honestly, you’re so good at it! I mean, if you mind….. it’s ok. Otherwise, TIA !

Retaliatory attack:

“Iran has launched more than 100 drones toward Israel, military officials said, beginning its retaliatory attack weeks after a suspected Israeli strike on the Iranian consular building in Syria killed two of Tehran’s top commanders.”

They've (Iran proxies)been lobbing rockets into Israel for months. Now Iran plays victim? Nah.

Because Iran has been attacking Israel from there. Mossad has very targeted intelligence. If they hit the embassy then you can bet your sweet britches, bad guys were there or operating from there

My opinion is the exact opposite.

Hamas and the Houthis and Hezbollah are terrorist organizations that have been trying to destroy Israel, backed by Iran and its oil money.

October 7th couldn’t have happened without backing from Iran.

This is a war that was not started by Israel and yet Israel has no choice but to fight back.
Much as America had no choice after September 11th, which I lived through.

IMO if anyone else here has survived a terrorist attack as we did in Manhattan on September 11th 2001, in which ten people I knew died, it would seem more obvious that no country can win the war on terrorism by backing down.

IMO
I’m old enough to remember when countries were forced to sit down and negotiate peace terms or face sanctions. Peace talks and treaties need to become fashionable again. Sane countries don’t want WW3. JMO

This is interesting

Because Iran has been attacking Israel from there. Mossad has very targeted intelligence. If they hit the embassy then you can bet your sweet britches, bad guys were there or operating from there
They hit the Canadian embassy while they were about it https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-embassy-damascus-damaged-1.7168176
Although the Canadian embassy "ceased operations in 2012", there is a "locally engaged staff member", fortunately not on the premises at the time. Had he or she been there, then that would have just been too bad? Collateral damage? Or would you say there were "bad guys" operating from the old Canadian embassy too?

btw I live in Western Europe and I'm certainly not the only one worried about WW3 starting off in that region.
MOO

They hit the Canadian embassy while they were about it https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-embassy-damascus-damaged-1.7168176
Although the Canadian embassy "ceased operations in 2012", there is a "locally engaged staff member", fortunately not on the premises at the time. Had he or she been there, then that would have just been too bad? Collateral damage? Or would you say there were "bad guys" operating from the old Canadian embassy too?

btw I live in Western Europe and I'm certainly not the only one worried about WW3 starting off in that region.
MOO

Israel took responsibility for striking the Iranian Consulate ... not the embassy building itself - an important distinction. They struck an Annex Building which was conducting a meeting of 'like-minds' ... military minds (their INT is great).

This article Canadian Embassy Damaged notes the fact that it was an annex to the Iranian Embassy (considered Iranian soil BTW) that was struck.

It's on the main drag in Damascus. Our Canadian embassy suffered some broken windows from the consussion which is not unusual when bombs go off close by (that does NOT make this strike a targetting of the Canadian Embassy nor of the Iranian Embassy itself where the diplomats play). I've been in our Embassy there often (it's shuttered now with a caretaker on staff).

The Iranian Consulate Annex building (considered Iranian soil again ... ) was struck by Israel as they were targetting the 4 Iranian IRGC MILITARY Generals meeting there. Military targets are legitimate targets IAW International Law. Iran and it's proxies (the 3H Club: Houthis, Hezbollah and Hamas) have been conducting strikes against Israel for eons, but especially so since 7th October 2023, when the Iranian-funded and their IRGC-backed Hamas terrorists entered Israel and conducted a massacre of innocent women, men, and children. That action by them was, and is, legally considered "an Act of War".

Israel has the right to self defence. Israel has the right to target those who are conducting and funding and sustaining and advising the 3H-Clubs which are conducting this war on behalf of their State-Sponsor (Iran). Iran can call it an act of aggression yet Israel can legally call it an act of self-defence too. And by any other name, even a "Preemptive Strike" can be claimed.

Israel, thus far, has shown great restraint. As have those nations, including the Arab nations (thank you to the Saudis & Jordan), whose airspace was illegally violated last night by Iran - all of whom successfully engaged last night to destroy the incoming before 99.9% of it was able to strike anything. That illegal violation of their airspaces could also be legally considered by them to be an "Act of War" by Iran. Just saying.

I can tell you this: IMO if my country was taking incoming from 4 different countries in the middle of the night, my EXPECTATION and demand would be that my country act to protect me and to retaliate. That's why governments exist: to protect their citizens. I don't expect Israel to be held to a higher standard.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexWorksInTelly
Back