GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think this has been posted yet -- not really about the crime or investigation, but might hold some interest:

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/31/164...-move-into-barristers.html#storylink=misearch

"New law students move into Giddings' former apartment complex"
"DD Jr. will be following in his father’s footsteps in more ways than one as he prepares for his first semester at Mercer University’s law school, his namesake’s alma mater.
He considered at least eight different places to live in Macon before deciding Barristers Hall, the Georgia Avenue apartment complex that sits just steps from the Walter F. George School of Law, was the best fit. ..."

I am not a Mercer student anymore, but when I was, I lived very close to Barristers Hall. Maybe it's just me, but bc of the unanswered, I could not live there.

It just haunts me - a woman close to my age being murdered in my city. She goes out to grab dinner on Saturday night, nothing to be heard of since.

I know that the school year is approaching, but the fact that Lauren's murder is still so fresh weighs on my mind.

I read this article, not online, but in the actual paper. I just hope and pray that we have answers...and soon. I just want answers. I believe in justice and hope it prevails.

I am not a Mercer student anymore, but when I was, I lived very close to Barristers Hall. Maybe it's just me, but bc of the unanswered, I could not live there.

It just haunts me - a woman close to my age being murdered in my city. She goes out to grab dinner on Saturday night, nothing to be heard of since.

I know that the school year is approaching, but the fact that Lauren's murder is still so fresh weighs on my mind.

I read this article, not online, but in the actual paper. I just hope and pray that we have answers...and soon. I just want answers. I believe in justice and hope it prevails.

i couldnt live there either, i dont think i could stand waking up, and going home with the thought of laurens death on my mind. being right where it most likely happened, i would never be able to forget.
i kind of wonder if you could feel her spirit there. so so sad.

Thanks, JeannieC --bless your heart -- but... I didn't mean this print article at the Fox24 site that I just posted the link to.

What I was hoping for was that someone had maybe done a transcript of the phone interview of Kaitlyn done a few days before the Fox24 one by a different news station (13WMAZ), the 11-minutes-long version that everyone was posting about a page or two back. In that interview, folks say, Kaitlyn says that LG did feel threatened (or something similar) by SM. But apparently the interview has several versions and I don't think the long version is posted anymore.

Kaitlyn did not say anything related to what the person (needinganswers) posted on Macon.com about LG only mentioning one person who ever made her feel uncomfortable.... they posted that on their own, not from anything they heard in the interview.

"...Kaitlyn says Lauren never said anything about feeling threatened by McDaniel or feeling like he was untrustworthy. When I asked Kaitlyn if Lauren had ever mentioned McDaniel she said yes because they were neighbors for three years, but not because they were friends..."

link: http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...-NewsCentrals-Michelle-Quesada-126357768.html

This link has been posted before, I think, but with the earlier discussion about Kaitlyn commenting or not commenting that LG felt uncomfortable around SM, thought I would post it again, with the section above (from about one-third of the way through the article) highlighted. Looks like this particular interview was done just a few days ago, on Thursday, July 28.

As for the earlier 13WMAZ interview -- wow, I'm still really confused! Someone posted the link and when I went to it I got only a segment of about 2 minutes, tops, with little to no mention of the relationship of LG and SM. When I revisited shortly thereafter, I DID get to listen to the whole 11-minutes-plus version, including parts about the event LG invited SM to come along with friends to, etc., but I didn't hear Kaitlyn say that LG felt uncomfortable around SM.

Please understand -- I'm NOT saying that she didn't say it -- just that I didn't hear it. My computer speakers are not the best and my hearing is not good, so I easily could have missed it. I just remember I was surprised, and confused, when a poster mentioned the remark a bit later. BUT, when I went back to relisten -- I was getting a shorter version again! AARRRGH!!!

Did anybody think to transcribe the 13WMAZ interview? Or can anyone tell me pretty closely just what she did say along those lines?

I think I'm the one who started the controversy over that. I didn't say LG felt threatened or distrusted him just that Kaitlyn said it was uncomfortable to be around him. I'll try to search for it. Maybe I read it. The sound isn't working on my laptop but I'll listen when I can get to the desktop. The poster on Macon.c said the same thing but I heard it before that post. Also, I think in the 13WMAZ interview when Kaitlyn was asked about LG's email and feeling unsafe Kaitlyn repeatedly said no she didn't feel unsafe. But in the fox interview Kaitlyn said LG did mention being afraid in the email due to the break in attempt. She then went on to say that LG was not scared to stay in the apartment. Wasn't Kaitlyn on her honeymoon that week? Did Kaitlyn say she talked with LG after the Thursday break in attempt? Just wondering why Kaitlyn is downplaying the email.

I think I'm the one who started the controversy over that. I didn't say LG felt threatened or distrusted him just that Kaitlyn said it was uncomfortable to be around him. I'll try to search for it. Maybe I read it. The sound isn't working on my laptop but I'll listen when I can get to the desktop. The poster on Macon.c said the same thing but I heard it before that post. Also, I think in the 13WMAZ interview when Kaitlyn was asked about LG's email and feeling unsafe Kaitlyn repeatedly said no she didn't feel unsafe. But in the fox interview Kaitlyn said LG did mention being afraid in the email due to the break in attempt. She then went on to say that LG was not scared to stay in the apartment. Wasn't Kaitlyn on her honeymoon that week? Did Kaitlyn say she talked with LG after the Thursday break in attempt? Just wondering why Kaitlyn is downplaying the email.

I've theorized that KW is downplaying the email because there is almost an accusatory note in SM's tone. Paraphrasing: "I would have done something if I had known. Why didn't somebody do something? If she was afraid in her apartment, then get her out of there!"

Nobody wants to feel (or be) accused of neglecting someone they love, especially with a result like this. It would be very hard to say, "We all knew someone had tried to break in and that she was afraid/nervous/unsettled, but we did nothing. In fact, we didn't even check on her for 4 days after the email, even though she was uncharacteristically quiet."

If someone tried to break into my home, the corollary would be that I would be afraid/nervous/unsettled/shaken to some degree. I can't imagine feeling otherwise.

Sorry but I have to say...for a murder and a dismemberment of victim..............if it takes a month of testing and 200 pieces of evidence. Come on. Given the timeline ........and where McD was in the interim.....attending those test prep classes. I don't know. How in the hell do you hide so much evidence that it takes the FBI crime lab a month to establish evidence that he did it. Is McD that good in covering up?? I am being skeptical. Not defending him. Just can't square it all. Forensic science...........it takes that long and that much. I mean, they, LE, checked plumbing, probably ran the luminol tests...
This is so scary to me. From both sides.

I am in agreement with you on this. Macon.com originally said results from FBI crime lab would be back , when was it, Wednesday or Thursday July 6th or 7th ?
This was the original 70 some odd pieces of evidence ? Now they have 200 , still no arrest , no results, and they don't know if they will have them back when they sit down with the DA on Wednesday ? Sounds to me like they will sit down with Winters, tell them what they have , and tell him if he wants to pin this thing on McDaniel ....... I am interested in the rumor (from MaconMeanderer I believe and "verified" by Angel Analyzes that a man the week before her death asked someone at Mercer about Lauren, wanted to know where she lived , and that another guy (or maybe the same one) said he "liked to watch her run"

"...Kaitlyn says Lauren never said anything about feeling threatened by McDaniel or feeling like he was untrustworthy. When I asked Kaitlyn if Lauren had ever mentioned McDaniel she said yes because they were neighbors for three years, but not because they were friends..."

link: http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...-NewsCentrals-Michelle-Quesada-126357768.html

This link has been posted before, I think, but with the earlier discussion about Kaitlyn commenting or not commenting that LG felt uncomfortable around SM, thought I would post it again, with the section above (from about one-third of the way through the article) highlighted. Looks like this particular interview was done just a few days ago, on Thursday, July 28.

As for the earlier 13WMAZ interview -- wow, I'm still really confused! Someone posted the link and when I went to it I got only a segment of about 2 minutes, tops, with little to no mention of the relationship of LG and SM. When I revisited shortly thereafter, I DID get to listen to the whole 11-minutes-plus version, including parts about the event LG invited SM to come along with friends to, etc., but I didn't hear Kaitlyn say that LG felt uncomfortable around SM.

Please understand -- I'm NOT saying that she didn't say it -- just that I didn't hear it. My computer speakers are not the best and my hearing is not good, so I easily could have missed it. I just remember I was surprised, and confused, when a poster mentioned the remark a bit later. BUT, when I went back to relisten -- I was getting a shorter version again! AARRRGH!!!

Did anybody think to transcribe the 13WMAZ interview? Or can anyone tell me pretty closely just what she did say along those lines?
I saw somewhere an interview where she said something along the lines of "There was only ONE person she felt uncomfortable (may have said 'scared') around." *not a direct quote* She went on to NOT say anything negative about SM. I heard it and wondered, differently than some here, who was this other person.

Since she did not say negative things or even lean towards a negative attitude towards SM, I thought it might be another person that made her nervous. I assumed the family had the police on top of that. I figure that person may be another POI.

It's all about perception, I guess. I took what Kaitlin said and recognized she did not connect the bad feeling to SM in any way, but to another person she knew of. She may have meant it that way, but the connection between the two did not appear in her comments, at all.

It's also possible that friends and family told the police things during the initial
questioning which they were told to keep quiet about or downplay if asked about.
Talking about insinuating remarks Lauren might have made to them would simply
fan the flames of rumor and speculation. Also, I believe this would be considered
hearsay and would not be admissible in court anyway.
Perhaps a lawyer could chime in on this.
Emails or journals and such might be different, since there's actually a written record?
As for whether or not she did or didn't say she felt "afraid" due to a break-in attempt,
and even the fact this even occurred, is ultimately irrelevant anyway.
As was pointed out earlier, all of her close friends are recent law school graduates.
And you can be sure that they have been in regular contact with the family.
So, you're not dealing with your "average" group of people here... which is part of what
makes this so exceptional.

Based on my experience, I would not draw any negative conclusion about an individual based upon the fact that he collects knives and enjoys wearing and displaying them on his person. I would probably draw such a conclusion if they were wearing the knives concealed and/or carrying them into places where knives are not allowed, but I'm not aware of any fact like that in this case.

I don't think his having such a collection gives any insight one way or the other
as to whether or not he could have committed this crime.
There are far more people who own knives and guns that have never cut or shot anyone :)

Seriously! I live in a family of hunters. They have all kinds of junk. And when my son was small, my brother used to buy him some of the most terrifying strange weapons. Made for interesting birthdays because he got to OOH and AAH over them, then I took them away and locked them up. None of us have ever even hurt another person.
Nice to see the ole straw man's alive and well.

• Dismembering a body requires a sharp bladed instrument.

• McD owns at least one large hunting knife, possibly more.
  • McD had means to dismember a body.
That's all there is to the argument. No one suggested we should infer anything negative about collecting knives/swords/guns as a hobbyist.

I think the point being made is that every single thing that has ever happened in a person's life does not make them guilty of murder. While these things may mean something IF evidence matches it to a crime scene, the items themselves do not mean they are guilty. Facts connect the dots, not all the fluff.

I am in agreement with you on this. Macon.com originally said results from FBI crime lab would be back , when was it, Wednesday or Thursday July 6th or 7th ?
This was the original 70 some odd pieces of evidence ? Now they have 200 , still no arrest , no results, and they don't know if they will have them back when they sit down with the DA on Wednesday ? Sounds to me like they will sit down with Winters, tell them what they have , and tell him if he wants to pin this thing on McDaniel ....... I am interested in the rumor (from MaconMeanderer I believe and "verified" by Angel Analyzes that a man the week before her death asked someone at Mercer about Lauren, wanted to know where she lived , and that another guy (or maybe the same one) said he "liked to watch her run"

I posted about the mysterious man rumor too. I heard it from an attorney who lives and practices in Macon. Whether or not it actually happened, I can't say but I know this person would NOT have just made it up, they obviously heard it from someone else.

What I heard is that a law student came forward after Lauren's death to report that an unknown man came to the law school the week before her disappearance and asked that person where she lived. He told them I guess not thinking it through that it could mean potential danger for Lauren. I heard that the student was very distraught in thinking that he might have told her killer where she lived.

I did NOT hear anything about it being associated with her running.

Nice to see the ole straw man's alive and well.

• Dismembering a body requires a sharp bladed instrument.

• McD owns at least large one hunting knife, possibly more.
  • McD had means to dismember a body.
That's all there is to the argument. No one suggested we should infer anything negative about collecting knives/swords/guns as a hobbyist.

Actually, more was said. In fact, there was a post that said something pretty similar to what you are denying. My words were spurred by a post that suggests SM wearing knives is in conflict with his family's description of him as a smart, mild-mannered, nice person. Not a straw man at all.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #4

I think the point being made is that every single thing that has ever happened in a person's life does not make them guilty of murder. While these things may mean something IF evidence matches it to a crime scene, the items themselves do not mean they are guilty. Facts connect the dots, not all the fluff.
Agreed. And, sort of adding to my comments from my last post...
Even though all the "fluff" and "inadmissible items" may be ultimately irrelevant,
they do help us gain insight to form theories, which can sometimes produce valuable leads
to facts that could be very important indeed. That's what we're here for, right? :)

And I think everyone has already stated or agreed that there is not enough evidence
at this point for any of us to actually convict anyone at this point... even though some of our
comments may seem to indicate otherwise, we all understand this to be the case.

I posted about the mysterious man rumor too. I heard it from an attorney who lives and practices in Macon. Whether or not it actually happened, I can't say but I know this person would NOT have just made it up, they obviously heard it from someone else.

What I heard is that a law student came forward after Lauren's death to report that an unknown man came to the law school the week before her disappearance and asked that person where she lived. He told them I guess not thinking it through that it could mean potential danger for Lauren. I heard that the student was very distraught in thinking that he might have told her killer where she lived.

I did NOT hear anything about it being associated with her running.
I would like to think that if he "came to the law school", that there is video of this.
I don't know how extensive Mercer's campus surveillance is, but I would at least expect that
all lobbies and building entrances are covered.

Psychomom, out of curiosity...I think you have agreed with some posters that said that LE might have planted evidence (the master key and the condoms) and that there might be a serial killer on the lose. McD's reaction looks authentic to you and in your oppinion he is not suspicious because he inserted himself into the investigation. You also don't think the "alleged" knives are a big deal.

Now should McD be charged with the crime, but found "not guilty" in the court, how would you feel if Psychodaughter came home and said "I have met the man of my dreams. His name is Stephen McDaniel. He is misunderstood, Mom, and we are in lurve." Would you be cool with that? Just curious.

I saw somewhere an interview where she said something along the lines of "There was only ONE person she felt uncomfortable (may have said 'scared') around." *not a direct quote* She went on to NOT say anything negative about SM. I heard it and wondered, differently than some here, who was this other person.

Since she did not say negative things or even lean towards a negative attitude towards SM, I thought it might be another person that made her nervous. I assumed the family had the police on top of that. I figure that person may be another POI.

It's all about perception, I guess. I took what Kaitlin said and recognized she did not connect the bad feeling to SM in any way, but to another person she knew of. She may have meant it that way, but the connection between the two did not appear in her comments, at all.

Thanks, maybe that's when I heard it. I remember thinking she meant LG thought SM was "awkward" (uncomfortable) to around not that she felt threatened. That SM was uncertain how to act in social settings. Then when the Macon poster said LG felt uncomfortable around SM I thought the poster was referring to the same comment I heard. Maybe Kaitlyn wasn't referring to SM at all.

Does anyone know what made then search the somewhat empty apartment below Lauren's and take the fridge?

Maybe I shouldn't jump in here like this, but...

Respectfully...

1. Your post has nothing to do with the post you're replying to.

Psychomom, out of curiosity...I think you have agreed with some posters that said that LE might have planted evidence (the master key and the condoms) and that there might be a serial killer on the lose.
2. I don't think I've heard anyone suggest that the police would plant evidence.

Now should McD be charged with the crime, but found "not guilty" in the court, how would you feel if Psychodaughter came home and said "I have met the man of my dreams. His name is Stephen McDaniel. He is misunderstood, Mom, and we are in lurve." Would you be cool with that? Just curious.
3. This should be a private message.

Psychomom, out of curiosity...I think you have agreed with some posters that said that LE might have planted evidence (the master key and the condoms) and that there might be a serial killer on the lose. McD's reaction looks authentic to you and in your oppinion he is not suspicious because he inserted himself into the investigation. You also don't think the "alleged" knives are a big deal.

I never once stated they planted anything, nor did I agree to that. I have no doubt he had the items. I questioned whether the key was given to him by management (past or present) as a convenience which they would never admit to, or even, as some have reported, by mistake as it was given to several other residents as their own door key without the knowledge it could work in other doors. The condoms seemed like a silly thing, but not a planted thing. I, also, stated I did NOT think it was a serial killer. It popped into my mind when I first heard it, but I have repeatedly stated I think it is someone she knew. So, you are wrong about those comments.

As for my daughter bringing him home, I think her fiance might have a problem with that. ;) However, if SM were charged with the crime and found not guilty, I would have to look at what was presented. If all they have on him is what they have presented thus far, I would give him a chance. If, during the trial, a boat load of other information is revealed, I might feel differently. The stuff that has come out so far it minuscule in factual evidence. I am holding my judgment until I hear what else they have. I have never said SM is innocent, either. I have simply pointed out the rumors and innuendos do not equal immediate guilt.

Now, if my son came home with Casey Anthony, I'd have to kick his tail. The evidence in her case, though found not guilty, was overwhelmingly pointed in her direction. I am waiting to see if that is the case here before I condemn him on a bunch of rumors and what people imagine he is thinking.

Does anyone know what made then search the somewhat empty apartment below Lauren's and take the fridge?
Probably the discovery of the master key.
In fact, BB and Burns has stated they actually searched (or at least "checked out") nearly all the apartments at the complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod