MI MI - Cynthia Coon, 13, Ann Arbor, 19 Jan 1970

Did anyone ever submit this possible match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/609ufpa.html

I think the NSF sanitation plastic is a huge possible piece of evidence considering it's only found in Ann Arbor. The UID also generally looks and fits well with the description of Cynthia.

Attachments

• coon_cynthia.jpg
    coon_cynthia.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 609UFPA.jpg
    609UFPA.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 50
Hello Flightlevel,

After hearing back from Ms. Fontana I never did get a follow up message regarding the UID from NJ. I apologize coming back to this thread and updating it sooner.

I still think of Cynthias case often and check every now and then to see if there are any updates on here.

Over the last year I have been in contact with the detective in charge of the UID case from Galloway NJ.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/668ufnj.html

She is aware that Cynthia Coon can be a possible match for the UID and is investigating further.

In post 35 of this thread, I mentioned that Cynthia's disappearance in January of 1970 might have been related to the disappearance and murder of another girl, Eileen Adams, abducted in Toledo, Ohio, whose body was found in Michigan (just south of Ann Arbor) in January 1968.

Robert Bowman was subsequently (in 2012) tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in an Ohio prison for the abduction, imprisonment, torture, and murder of Eileen.

I wonder if Robert Bowman might have been responsible for the disappearance of Cynthia Coon.

Here is some data on him from the Ohio Inmate locator:

ROBERT BOWMAN
Number: A614937
DOB: 04/16/1936
Race: White
Admission Date: 11/10/2011
Institution: Toledo Correctional Institution

Offense Information
MURDER Counts: 1 ORC: 2901.01 1

Committing County: LUCAS
Admission Date: 11/10/2011
Degree of Felony: First
No Victim Information Available

Sentence Information
Minimum Sentence: 20 years
Maximum Sentence: Life
Expiration of Max Sentence: 01/01/8888

Source:
Ohio Inmate Locator

LINK:

http://www.drc.state.oh.us/OffenderSearch/Search.aspx

Wow Richard!

That definitely seems very possible. Especially if you look at the victim profiles. Cynthia and Eileen are close in age and looks (which would fit the victim profile of this sexual predator).

I grew up in Ann Arbor and lived in the same neighborhood as the Coons. I was very young when she went missing, but we were also led to believe that she had runaway or left with someone she knew. Now that I'm older, there are some things that seem odd to me, e.g. how could she have never been to a dentist?

I have wondered if her parents had something to do with it. Nowadays, this story would be all over the news and the parents portrayed as prime suspects. Back then, everyone acted as though it were no big deal.

It was a long walk to Forsythe and there were areas where no one would have noticed if a girl were picked up - except - I'd think she would have walked with friends. When I went, there was a group of girls from the neighborhood who walked together.

I also remember those calls and agree that the parents thought it was her and not a prank.

Now that I'm older, there are some things that seem odd to me, e.g. how could she have never been to a dentist?

I find that the most unusual aspect of Cynthia Coon. I believe her father was a doctor, and she never went to a dentist.

But she was described as having perfect teeth.

If I were doctor, I would want my child to get the best care possible.

Are any bells ringing here?

If her father was a doctor, it seems odd she never saw a dentist. By "perfect teeth" do they mean no fillings? We have an odd genetic thing in my family from my mom's side that seems to prevent us from getting cavities so none of us kids ever had dental work growing up. My first dental visit was at 16. Maybe they had naturally good healthy teeth in her family? Did people go to the dentist as much back then? I was a kid in the 70s and a lot of my friends didn't go to the dentist either.

This month marks the 45 year anniversary of Cynthia's disappearance.

If her father was a doctor, it seems odd she never saw a dentist...Did people go to the dentist as much back then? I was a kid in the 70s and a lot of my friends didn't go to the dentist either.

There is a Facebook page for people who grew up in Ann Arbor and one of the threads is about dentists and pediatricians. Most of the responses stated both a dentist and pediatrician. I think it's very unlikely that she had never seen a dentist.

I have wondered if the parents cooperated fully and declined to provide the dentist's name. Ann Arbor was a very small town back then and there were probably just a few dentists practicing. A good detective could have checked the records for each of them.

Again, I think this case would be handled very differently today.

Yes, her father was a noted surgeon:
http://surgery.med.umich.edu/giving/stories/coon.shtml

I find it very odd that she would never have gone to a dentist. Her family was affluent and lived in an affluent neighborhood where most children went to a dentist.

Thanks for the information. I suspected that was her father. If he was a respected surgeon in 1970 her disappearance should have made news. Does anyone know if that is true?

Besides the possibility of a link between Cynthia's disappearance and the Ann Arbor coed murders, I have often wondered if there might be a connection between her disappearance and the abduction/murder of Laurie Murninghan (age 16) in Lansing, MI the following June.

A prime suspect in Laurie's case was later convicted of the abduction and rape of two young Ann Arbor girls.

LINK:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-in-Lansing-1970&highlight=laurie+murninghan

Cynthia Coon.1.jpg

This is Cynthia's last yearbook photo from the Forsythe Saga. Do her teeth look straight? I don't remember them as being straight, but it was a long time ago...

My significant other's father was a successful lawyer. Country clubs, the latest in electronics, a large house, etc., but they didn't have dental insurance. For some reason, there was always money for "fun" stuff, but no money to get regular dental care (or college for that matter). I still don't get it, but some people are just like that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back