MI MI - Cynthia Coon, 13, Ann Arbor, 19 Jan 1970

The Doe Network site updated today with the following listing and I thought of Cynthia as well as another possible, Denise Sheehy;

Case File 668UFNJ

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on December 6, 1971 in Galloway Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey
* Estimated Date of Death: Months prior

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 14-18 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 118 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Possible wig - shades of blonde, brown and red brown with presence of a coloring additive. Extra sacral vertebrae (lower back).
* Dentals: Available. No restorations; good occlusion.
* Clothing: Ribbed blue cotton or synthetic shirt; white, blue, and orange striped canvas or cotton trouser of the hip-hugger variety; underwear; white bra. Brown leather sandals. Brown, wide leather band with small brass rings containing a ladies Westclock watch.
* DNA: Pending

http://www.doenetwork.org/

The description and similarity regarding the dentals are what struck me in particular.

Interesting,

I was searching for missing people who might be a match for the 668UFNJ UID and came across Cynthia as well. The dentals in both cases struck me as well since both were described as having excellent teeth.

The dates, age, and description seem to fit pretty well.

Does anyone know if Cynthia has ever been submitted for this UID? Do you think it is worth submitting as a potential match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/668ufnj.html

668UFNJ.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/coon_cynthia.html

coon_cynthia.jpg

Yes Centerice. Good work! I would definately submit it if I were you. You never know where it may lead.

She made contact with her family twice, once on April 1, 1970 and again on April 2, 1970. She did not know her whereabouts at the time of the calls. An extortion-type call was received by the family on May 5, 1970. Since that time, no further contact has been made with the family.
I have a lot of questions about this...first, are they absolutely sure that it was Cynthia on the phone? Second, even if she didn't know where she was, she must've said something during those two calls...what? Third, what were the details of the extortion call? Did the family attempt to follow the request?

I have a lot of questions about this...first, are they absolutely sure that it was Cynthia on the phone? Second, even if she didn't know where she was, she must've said something during those two calls...what? Third, what were the details of the extortion call? Did the family attempt to follow the request?

It doesn't say for certain but, given the way it is worded, I took it that the family believed that it was Cynthia on the phone.

The part about the extortion call made me think that, if she was indeed kidnapped with the intention of collecting some type of ransom, maybe the first two calls were made/allowed to show to the family that she was alive but her words were being carefully monitored by her abductors? No way of knowing... just a guess based upon the limited information.

Like you, I'd also want to know more information about what was said during the calls. What was the family or LEs response to the extortion call? Did they think it was just a hoax and ignore it?

Regardless, I think her description and the timeline fit fairly well with the UID found in New Jersey in 1971.

I'm new to the site and have never submitted a possible match before but I'm more than willing to do so.

I'd certainly welcome other opinions on whether or not you think this is a potential match worth submitting or if anyone can confirm if Cynthia has already been submitted and/or ruled out for the NJ UID mentioned above.

Reading both sites is it possible that these could be the same girl? Cynthia
Coon went missing from Ann Arbor MI and the "doe" found in PA in 1973 was
wrapped in plastic from the National Sanitation Foundation which was in Ann
Arbor MI per their history on the internet in 1963 and 1972? Physical stats are similar.
NAMUS MP#2501
DOE 609UFPA

http://doenetwork.org/cases/609ufpa.html

Reading both sites is it possible that these could be the same girl? Cynthia
Coon went missing from Ann Arbor MI and the "doe" found in PA in 1973 was
wrapped in plastic from the National Sanitation Foundation which was in Ann
Arbor MI per their history on the internet in 1963 and 1972? Physical stats are similar.
NAMUS MP#2501
DOE 609UFPA

http://doenetwork.org/cases/609ufpa.html

Good catch on the National Sanitation Foundation seal. Perhaps looking into that organization and location might help solve the PA Jane Doe case, I feel the the discrepancy of almost 4 years between Cynthia's disappearance and the discovery of Jane Doe makes a match less likely.

Still, there have been other rare incidents of long term imprisonment.

It has now been over 42 years since Cynthia went missing.

The Ann Arbor area had gone through a time of terror only a few months before Cynthia's disappearance from there. A number of girls had been abducted and murdered, and their bodies dumped in various remote places.

John Norman Collins was arrested in the Summer of 1969, and he was convicted of one of those murders. It was generally believed that he had committed all of them. But only a few years ago, another man was convicted of one of the murders based on DNA evidence.

Could Cynthia's disappearance be in some way connected to that string of murders sometimes called the Coed Murders?

I have mentioned before that Cynthia Coon's disappearance might be linked to the Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti Co-ed Murders of 1967-1969.

There was a case of a 14-year-old girl named Eileen Marie Adams, who was abducted in Toledo, kept for some time and tortured, then murdered and her body dumped in Michigan, just south of Ann Arbor on Route 23. In 1969, some investigators were trying to link her case to that of seven other murders, thought to be the work of a single serial killer, or group of killers.

Recently, a man was arrested and tried for Eileen's murder. I wonder if he might also have been the person who abducted Cynthia Coon?

Here are some links, including a separate thread on Eileen's case here on Websleuths:

LINKS:

-------------------------------------------------------------
EILEEN ADAMS - 14 yo - (1967) Toledo OH

www.justice4caylee.org/t17006-eileen-adams-14-yo-1967-toledo-oh

Suspect in 1967 killing denies snatching Ohio girl Posted 10/26/2011 2:50 PM ET ... schoolgirl in 1967 and dumping her body in Michigan testified Wednesday there ... has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of Eileen Adams, a Toledo high ... Bowman said, according to the Associated Press, but 'I'm not responsible for .

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man who sexually assaulted, brutally murdered girl he ...
articles.nydailynews.com/2011-10-29/news/30337867_1_robert-bowman-eileen-ad..
Oct 29, 2011 ... TOLEDO, Ohio - A man accused of snatching a teenager on her way home from school in 1967 and ... Robert Bowman during trial for the 1967 killing of Eileen Adams in Toledo, Ohio. ... But "I'm not responsible for that. ... back of her head before her body was dumped in southern Michigan, prosecutors said.

------------------------------------------------------------------
AMW | Fugitives | Robert Bowman | Case
www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=44921

Nov 24, 2008 ... Since 1967, Ohio cops say Robert Bowman has literally gotten away with ... rape and murder of 14-year-old Eileen Adams in Toledo, Ohio some 40 years ago, ... Then, she says, he made her help dump the body in a farmer's field in Michigan. ... They went and interviewed him about Eileen Adams' murder.

--------------
Eileen Adams Murder | Chilling murder case heats up 40 years ...
articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/21/news/adna-forgotten21

Jan 21, 2007 ... The drifter was Robert Bowman, suspected of killing 14-year-old Eileen Adams in 1967. Her body, discovered just outside Toledo, was ...

-----------
Arrest near in unsolved 1967 murder of Eileen Adams - id 3287 ...

www.toledotalk.com/cgi-bin/comments.pl/27/3287

Arrest near in unsolved 1967 murder of Eileen Adams - The Blade reports ... Eileen Adams, 13, of Toledo, Ohio, was kidnapped in December, 1967, and ... coming from another room in the basement (I'm thinking maybe a dry cellar ...). ... the poor little girl's body off the side of the road in southern Michigan.

-------------------------
Eileen Adams Murder 1967

csafd.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=drusjodin&action=print&thread=84

General » Repeat Offenders » Eileen Adams Murder 1967 ... Eileen Adams, 14, a freshman at Central Catholic High School in Toledo, Ohio vanishes just one week before Christmas, abducted when she ... Then, she says, he made her help dump the body in a farmer's field in Michigan. .... But “I'm not responsible for that.

-------------------
Arrest of an "AMW"fugitive Robert Bowman for 1967 murder of

helpfindthemissing.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-7934.html -

Cop's Chance Meeting Leads to Arrest in 1967 Murder ... TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A chance meeting two years ago between a police officer and a man whose ... on Monday where authorities want him to face charges in the kidnapping and killing of Eileen Adams. ... I'm so glad they finally caught this guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------
John Norman COLLINS - Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

murderpedia.org/male.C/c/collins-john-norman.htm

Norman Collins (1967-1969) aka "The Michigan Murderer" was a 30-year old resident of Ypsilanti, Michigan, and he killed 7 female students at Eastern ...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Twice Cold Case Eileen Adams, 14 - Page 2 - Websleuths Crime ...

www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45553&page=2

I'm too young to have been around when any of this happened, but it's just ... We know that he murdered Eileen and kept her alive for at least 2 weeks chained in his basement. ... Ohio, Nevada, Florida, California, DC, New York, Kansas and Michigan. .... Toledo Police Looking for Suspect in 1967 Murder ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bowman Murder Trial & verdict(Cold Ohio Case)

mockforums.net/thread-6272.html

Eileen Adams, a freshman in high school, was abducted from Toledo ... Her frozen body was found in a field in Whiteford Township, Michigan on January 30, 1968. .... he kidnapped and killed a 14-year-old Toledo school girl back in 1967, ... I'm glad my plan worked but after I thought about it I think it would ...

I am a former resident of Ann Arbor and neighbor of the Coons. I applied through the Freedom of Information Act for Cindy's case file, but was denied by the sherrif's department. After all theses years, the case remains open.

I have vague memories of her disappearance. The children of the neighborhood we're told she left with someone she knew. Perhaps so we wouldn't be frightened to walk to school. According to the Ann Arbor News, the low for January 19 was 2 degrees--the high 18 with snow flurries. Everyone walked to Forsythe Junior High; there were no buses. It was about a mile walk. Newport road was an unpaved frozen pothole. A year younger, my brother made the same trip to school with his friends. He doesn't recall anything unusual that day. Who would notice a girl catching a ride in that weather?

These days I wonder, particularly when I'm home for a visit, whether someone from the neighborhood could have been responsible. While it's difficult to ascribe a motive to anyone, there sure was certainly opportunity. I can't but help thinking of a man who despised kids; in fact he shot and killed my friend's dog.

John Norman Collins wreaked havoc on our young psyches. Maybe we all thought lightening couldn't possibly strike twice. What an unfortunate hubris. I feel like I'm still paying for it to this day.

Thank you all for your hard work. Perhaps one day there will be justice for Cindy.

wynsisson,

Welcome to websleuths and thank you for your post about Cindy.

It would seem from what you say that she was probably picked up while walking on a local road to school.

She could have been abducted by someone who knew who she was, and exactly what her schedule was regarding her walk to school. Or she may have been a random target who happened to be walking alone that morning.

It is hard to say, based on the sketchy information available, whether the phone calls were actually from Cynthia and her abductor, or if it was simply an extortion hoax.

There were a number of evil individuals in Michigan who abducted and/or murdered girls and young women in that time frame.

By the time that Cynthia was abducted, Collins was in custody and awaiting trial for the murder of 18 year old Karen Sue Bienemann. But his accomplice, Manuel may have been out on bond. There were at least four or five other killers who had not yet been identified or captured in the area as well.

Cynthia was only 13 years old when she went missing. While it is possible that the unknown victim could be her, I personally feel that it is unlikely due to the long time between Cynthia's disappearance and the aparent murder of this girl in Florida. Three and a half years had gone by.

Please keep us posted if you hear anything. Good Work!
Hello Flightlevel,

After hearing back from Ms. Fontana I never did get a follow up message regarding the UID from NJ. I apologize coming back to this thread and updating it sooner.

I still think of Cynthias case often and check every now and then to see if there are any updates on here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back