2011.03.17 -SA Body Search and Search Of Grandmothers Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1932183789471&oid=124405571390&comments

In this video you can see and Officer from Sheriff department carrying some thing out that looks like electronic.... Maybe another computer?.... But it has really weird Parallel port cables on it... Haven't seen them since the olden days of Dot matrix printers...

Maybe it is another Xbox?????

Anyone with better eyes???

That's what I wondered too. It looked and sounded a whole lot like the photos of the search of Zahra's house.

Which doesn't mean it was the same thing, of course.

God in heaven, I sincerely hope it's NOT for Hailey's sake...Zahra's case is going to haunt me the rest of my life!

Thanks for the video link CN! I can't tell if it's an xbox or a computer tower. It also looks like the officer is carrying another component or dark colored object on top of the larger one.

Yeah, it would have made sense, but there's this thing called "probable cause." It protects all of us from having police just break into our houses in the middle of the night hoping to catch us doing something. Just being the last person to see a missing person does not constitute probable cause to search one's own house, let alone the house of a relative. To get a search warrant, they have to expect to find something specific related to the crime.

BBM-JMO, in this particular instance I believe the something specific relating to a crime to jusify a search of the relative's home would be that of the child *advertiser censored* images and stuff.
I'm not sure about this and would like anyone that does know to respond...
If the search warrant was for the child *advertiser censored* stuff but the LE offficers also found items that were/are related to Hailey's disappearance, do the officers have to execute another search warrant specifying these items before the items can be removed because the initial search warrant might not have included them? (did that make sense?)

BBM-JMO, in this particular instance I believe the something specific relating to a crime to jusify a search of the relative's home would be that of the child *advertiser censored* images and stuff.
If the search warrant was for the child *advertiser censored* stuff but the LE offficers also found items that were/are related to Hailey's disappearance, do the officers have to execute another search warrant specifying these items before the items can be removed because the initial search warrant might not have included them? (did that make sense?)

Yes, the search warrant has to be specific and the officers can only take the items specified; however, I think they can use pretty broad terms such as "digital media" or something to that effect. Also, I believe there is something to do with "plain sight doctrine" or similar that states if something illegal is in plain sight (such as illegal drugs, etc.), that can be seized w/o a warrant.

It depends on how the search warrant is worded. Hopefully it states what they are looking for in reference to the missing 13 year old. If it does, I believe anything found is fair game.

I have a question...

IF SA did do something to Hailey, which county would be responsible for search warrants/arrests/prosecution? Would it be Mitchell county because that is where it was reported she was missing from?
IF they have evidence of it happening at his mom's or grandma's.... they are both in different counties, right?(Howard and Scurry counties, I believe) so if they think it happened in one of those counties, are those counties then responsible for the search warrants/arrest/prosecution?
Hope that makes sense lol I really don't know the answer to that though, and if anyone does... I'm curious :) thanks!
They seem to be working together. The warrant for SA's mother's computer came from Howard County, while the warrant for electronics from BD's house came from Mitchell, but both are talked about in the police Affidavit (see pages 5-6).
http://bigcountryhomepage.com/image...edia/dox/pdf/2011_01/HaileyDunnAffidavits.PDF

From that, it would appear that Mitchell County (Colorado City) is handling the main case, but they have sought warrants in Howard and Scurry Counties (where BD and SA allegedly bought drugs). Police often have to cross county lines during an investigation, and with the Texas Rangers involved they can really go anywhere.

Can I ask a .....Odd question????

Do we know if they did take SA in just to do that BODY search warrant???

I can't seem to wrap my mind around them doing it at BD house.....

Yes, I think the search was related to the images found on the computer. That gave them the lever they needed. I know there are cases around here (MA) where LE has used a slight reason to get into houses for, say, major drug busts, but I also know there have been Supreme Court decisions limiting that -- for instance, stopping you for a traffic violation isn't enough grounds to search your car. But if the officer observes something that looks like a crime being committed -- like the passenger trying to hide a joint -- then the car can be searched.

I imagine it partly depends on the exact wording they used in the application for the warrant. Like if they said something along the lines of "including but not limited to," etc.

If the FBI has been involved, it's likely that they were well prepared in that regard and dotted all their i's and crossed their t's.

Maybe we should ask the verified lawyers.

I guess it depends on what they wanted. Somebody on the main thread pointed out that it could have been as simple as needing his fingerprints or a cheek swab. That could have been done in one of the LE vehicles.

I agree on the Search warrant for SA's body being for identification in reference to child *advertiser censored*. The warrant was out of Howard County where the majority of the child *advertiser censored* was found.

The warrant was from the County where his Mom lives, but the *advertiser censored* was found on a computer at his grandmother's, which is in another county.

I still really confused about this. :confused:

I personally believe they would have taken him in. Our fingerprints are now taken digitally in Texas - no more paper prints. Also, I think they would need an independent witness for a body search just to CYA in case SA tried to accuse an officer of being "inappropriate" in some way.

The warrant was from the County where his Mom lives, but the *advertiser censored* was found on a computer at his grandmother's, which is in another county.

The *advertiser censored* was found on his mother's computer and she lives in Big Springs. A warrant was issued out of Howard County (Big Springs) for a search of Shawn Adkins body.
LE MIGHT be wanting to identify some physical features on Shawn that places him in some of the pics.

JMO

Could they have gotten the Warrant for his body Knowing he was at BD's and that is why it is from that county??

And the stuff they wanted from his body is for the HD case???:waitasec:

I was thinking the same thing! If it was just a buccal swab for DNA, not such a big deal but if they were photographing body parts seems to me they would have taken him in to the police station to do that sort of thing...I dunno.

Also why the "H" didn't they take DNA from day one????? Here in FL they take DNA in every missing person case of all people who were in last contact with missing person...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice Collector