4.8 earthquake shakes east coast

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
An earthquake struck the East Coast of the United States on Friday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, causing buildings to shake and rattling nerves from Maryland to Maine.

The USGS tentatively measured the quake as a 4.8 temblor near Whitehouse Station, New Jersey. It struck a little before 10:30 a.m. ET.

New York — An earthquake shook the densely populated New York City metropolitan area Friday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey said, with residents reporting they felt rumbling across the Eastern Seaboard.

The agency reported a quake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.7, centered near Lebanon, New Jersey. The Fire Department of New York said there were no initial reports of damage...

"Earthquake hits NYC!

4.8 magnitude quake rattles the Big Apple as thousands -

as far as Philly and New Jersey -

report feeling tremors inside 'shaking buildings'."

1712330376344.png

Last edited:
I'm in the UK and I was on a conference call with someone an hour ago based out of New Jersey, we just heard her shout "oh my god there's an earthquake" then she dropped off the call. Hope everyone is okay.

Having experienced several earthquakes here in CA, one 4.6 just recently right offshore where I am, I was questioning why that video posted showed such intense shaking. I have not had stuff falling off walls etc. (so far).
Now I understand, it's the depth. This one today was very shallow.
"The quake was shallow, occurring just 5 km beneath the Earth's surface. This is on the extreme end of what the USGS considers a shallow earthquake: 0 to 70 km deep. The energy released by an earthquake is blunted by distance, so a shallower quake of the same magnitude as a deeper one will produce much more intense shaking at the surface."

Having experienced several earthquakes here in CA, one 4.6 just recently right offshore where I am, I was questioning why that video posted showed such intense shaking. I have not had stuff falling off walls etc. (so far).
Now I understand, it's the depth. This one today was very shallow.
"The quake was shallow, occurring just 5 km beneath the Earth's surface. This is on the extreme end of what the USGS considers a shallow earthquake: 0 to 70 km deep. The energy released by an earthquake is blunted by distance, so a shallower quake of the same magnitude as a deeper one will produce much more intense shaking at the surface."
Thank you for sharing this. That’s a great explanation. I’ve lived in SOCAL for over 20 years and have never experienced a quake that shallow and with things falling off the walls. That must have been frightening for everyone!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back