4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense is objecting to the State's Motion for Order Prohibiting Contact with Prospective Jurors. My understanding is that the Judge has ordered both the defense and prosecution not to have contact with prospective jurors unless permission is given by the Court. So I assume that means that there is to be no juror research that involves any contact and I assume that also includes juror research on social media that may have been underway or was being planned. I guess we will learn more at the hearing on the Judge's order.

Defense is objecting to the State's Motion for Order Prohibiting Contact with Prospective Jurors. My understanding is that the Judge has ordered both the defense and prosecution not to have contact with prospective jurors unless permission is given by the Court. So I assume that means that there is to be no juror research that involves any contact and I assume that also includes juror research on social media that may have been underway or was being planned. I guess we will learn more at the hearing on the Judge's order.
That whole situation sounds strange to me. The defense has been arguing that BK cannot get a fair trial without a change of venue, so what prospective jurors are they going to research? In what venue? And there isn't even a trial date yet, so no specific prospective juror pool. What are they planning on doing - researching every registered voter in ID?

I suppose, hypothetically, someone might consider researching local prospective jurors so aggressively it contaminates the jury pool, which "proves" he cannot get a fair trial without a change of venue.

That whole situation sounds strange to me. The defense has been arguing that BK cannot get a fair trial without a change of venue, so what prospective jurors are they going to research? In what venue? And there isn't even a trial date yet, so no specific prospective juror pool. What are they planning on doing - researching every registered voter in ID?

I suppose, hypothetically, someone might consider researching local prospective jurors so aggressively it contaminates the jury pool, which "proves" he cannot get a fair trial without a change of venue.
Apparently the defense plans to use an expert in jury research to conduct telephone surveys with adults in Latah County and ask them questions to determine media exposure and information gleaned related to accuracy of media information, etc. (all stated in the motion -linked below - which I have now had time to read). The defense says that the State's motion hinders their ability to prepare for the change of venue hearing. So hopefully the Judge will schedule a hearing on the State's motion soon.

Below is a link to the Defense's objection to the State's motion to prohibit these surveys by the Defense. There is an attachment with information on the experience and professional expertise of the survey firm, Trial Innovations, and its director included with the Defense's motion.

Last edited:
Apparently the defense plans to use an expert who conducts telephone surveys in Latah County to contact adults and ask them questions to determine media exposure and determine accuracy of media information, etc. (all stated in the motion which I have now had time to read). The defense says that this motion hinders their ability to prepare for the change of venue hearing. So hopefully the Judge will schedule a hearing on this motion soon.

Below is a link to the Defense's objection to the State's motion to prohibit these surveys by the Defense. There is an attachment with information on the experience and professional expertise of the survey firm, Trial Innovations, and its director.

Based only on my "court-watching" from afar and not based on any professional expertise, what the defense wants to do is commonly done. It's not enough when asking for a change of venue to simply assert to the Court the defense believes the defendant can't get a fair trial-- there must be data to show that. The way the defense proposes to acquire those data by employing a research firm is also common IMO. (The motion discusses the need for data in the context of an Idaho case-- Hadden-- but this is an issue everywhere.)

IMO the State's claim that this amounts to violating the gag order & unacceptably "researching prospective jurors" is a bit disingenuous. But, of course, the State would prefer not to have a change of venue.
MOO

Apparently the defense plans to use an expert in jury research to conduct telephone surveys with adults in Latah County and ask them questions to determine media exposure and information gleaned related to accuracy of media information, etc. (all stated in the motion -linked below - which I have now had time to read). The defense says that the State's motion hinders their ability to prepare for the change of venue hearing. So hopefully the Judge will schedule a hearing on the State's motion soon.

Below is a link to the Defense's objection to the State's motion to prohibit these surveys by the Defense. There is an attachment with information on the experience and professional expertise of the survey firm, Trial Innovations, and its director included with the Defense's motion.

They have ALREADY conducted a survey:

1711555406866.png

I've done this multiple times ( in my time zone it's very easy for me to be awake at what would be 3am Moscow time). I could never get it to under 5 minutes.
Especially if you remember that the car has to be northbound when it is seen by the camera at 2:44. Which means it can't have taken the most direct route shown on Google maps. It must have looped around via somewhere else to end up heading north on Nevada at 2:44.
I wish it was simple, but it really isn't.
I just went to go pick up my son at school and there's a particular stretch where I was traveling 20mph over the posted speed limit with the rest of traffic. On the way back with my son in tow I took the slower road and stayed at speed limit.

How fast did you go over the speed limit to try and recreate BK's movements? 10mph over? 20mph? 30mph? Those violations pale in comparison to what he's accused of doing. "He might of killed 4 people but he wouldn't speed" is not going to work in court. I'd imagine that the guy's adrenaline was pumping, IMO.

IMO, I don't think any of us can say for sure whether or not BK sped all the way or part way to the crime scene (irrespective of what he did on the way home with a bloody knife and clothes in his car). He's studied those roads before according to cellular evidence. We all know those roads in our home towns were the police are most likely to be and not to be. We all know the stretch of road where we can go really fast for a few seconds and the ones we need to be careful on. Hence him taking the slower way back via backroads away from the lights.

If I recall correctly Gray Hughes has multiple videos showing that this is possible. Both simulated/animated and actually driving the roads himself.

MOO

Last edited:
I just went to go pick up my son at school and there's a particular stretch where I was traveling 20mph over the posted speed limit with the rest of traffic. On the way back with my son in tow I took the slower road and stayed at speed limit.

How fast did you go over the speed limit to try and recreate BK's movements? 10mph over? 20mph? 30mph? Those violations pale in comparison to what he's accused of doing. "He might of killed 4 people but he wouldn't speed" is not going to work in court. I'd imagine that the guy's adrenaline was pumping, IMO.

IMO, I don't think any of us can say for sure whether or not BK sped all the way or part way to the crime scene (irrespective of what he did on the way home with a bloody knife and clothes in his car). He's studied those roads before according to cellular evidence. We all know those roads in our home towns were the police are most likely to be and not to be. We all know the stretch of road where we can go really fast for a few seconds and the ones we need to be careful on. Hence him taking the slower way back via backroads away from the lights.

If I recall correctly Gray Hughes has multiple videos showing that this is possible. Both simulated/animated and actually driving the roads himself.

MOO

Easy to speed at 4:00am with no traffic.

The employee of the gas station, who wanted to remain anonymous for safety reasons, said the sedan drove past “real quick” before turning off the highway down a side street.

....showed a white car speeding past.

.....the car, which zoomed west on Taylor Road

From PCA....

Suspect vehicle 1 is next seen departing the area of the King Road residence at approximately 4:20am at a high rate of speed.

MOO
As I said in my post which you quoted, a big part of the challenge is figuring out a route that ends with him being northbound on Nevada.
Being seen on camera northbound is not consistent with traveling south through Pullman is an inconsistency within the PCA.
As for speeding, why speed specifically to get from Steptoe to Nevada, only to then switch, not to normal speed but to a snail's pace up and down Nevada for 9 whole minutes?
One thing I've been trying to figure out, but still don't have full clarity on, is whether or not the local traffic cameras record or not. It would appear that Washington ones do not (see my previous post. This is a real shame. Many traffic cameras do record at least when speeding is detected. However, unfortunately the PCA doesn't list any Washington traffic cameras explicitly, only privately owned ones.

Last edited:
Bryan Kohberger's defense team is crying foul after a judge ordered both sides in the Idaho student murders case to stay away from potential jurors ahead of a change-of-venue hearing that could move the upcoming trial out of Latah County, where the slayings happened.

"The late Friday afternoon filing was a strategic action by the State," defense attorney Anne Taylor wrote in a motion to rescind Judge John Judge's ban, FOX News reports.

She argued that a survey the defense was conducting on potential jurors met the legal standards warranted in a potential death penalty case.

If interested, more at link...

March 28, 2024 4:34pm PDT

1711763233064.png

AT isn't holding back. It is DP case, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Change of Venue because of the size of the town and the massive media attention.

I'm not worried about a COV, the State has got enough to convict BK no matter where this case will be heard. I'm sure BK will love a larger audience as well.

JMO

I would want to know, did they sync the times on all the cameras? Like camera one says 1:00AM. Does Camera two also say 1:00 AM or does it say 12:56 or 1:05? Any camera I have would be set 7 minutes fast because every clock I own is set 7 minutes fast.(don't ask) Not everyone has it sync'd to a computer and I can attest that even if they do, computers can be off by several minutes (work in a world with hundreds of computers and have to resync on a regular basis.) That is what I would want to know, did they factor in that the timestamps might be accurate for the camera, but was it accurate to all the other cameras?

I would want to know, did they sync the times on all the cameras? Like camera one says 1:00AM. Does Camera two also say 1:00 AM or does it say 12:56 or 1:05? Any camera I have would be set 7 minutes fast because every clock I own is set 7 minutes fast.(don't ask) Not everyone has it sync'd to a computer and I can attest that even if they do, computers can be off by several minutes (work in a world with hundreds of computers and have to resync on a regular basis.) That is what I would want to know, did they factor in that the timestamps might be accurate for the camera, but was it accurate to all the other cameras?
In my opinion most IP cameras don't have time code built into it. Just the overlay. And there's a big difference there as timecode is embedded/encoded into the video...and the overlay is well...an overlay. Timecode would probably be prohibitively expensive for home needs.

IMO the main problem with the overlays is that the frames per second variability can be high depending on the quality of the camera you buy. So if something is playing back at 10 frames per second but the camera only caught 8 frames that second...then IMO it's likely that we could be off a fraction of a second compared to another camera that caught the full 10 frames in that second.

Luckily there are other ways to check though. Which I'm sure the defense and the prosecution has experience in.

Just like every other file on your computer. There's meta data attached to it. And since these cameras are simultaneously capturing video and saving it to the hard drive as a recording...there's metadata there attached to it that tells you when those bytes of data were written and when it stopped being modified. And IMO there's likely other metadata that I'm not thinking about that can be used to figure out the actual time and synch all of the available videos.

MOO for all of the above.

Last edited:

There are so many documents. There is an order allowing defense witness to partake in the Zoom hearing. Not sure it's open to the public. Not seeing any reporter reporting that they will be at hearing. Anyone know?​

State of Idaho v. Bryan C. Kohberger​

Latah County CR29-22-2805

Case Summary (Updated 04/03/24)

Hearing Type: Motion Hearing:
State’s Motion for Order Prohibiting Contact with Prospective Jurors and Defendant’s Motion to Rescind Order
Date Time 04/04/2024; 1:30 PM
Pacific
Judge John Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads