4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I am talking about same thing but Google maps tells me the distance is 1.5 miles between Steptoe Apts and southeast Nevada Street at northeast Stadium Way.
Driving 30-45 mph it takes 2 minutes.
I highly suggest, since you're using Google maps, that you actually use the itinerary feature to plot it out. It's not as the crow flies. If you can find a route that gets you from A to B in 2 minutes, please share the map!

It
I highly suggest, since you're using Google maps, that you actually use the itinerary feature to plot it out. It's not as the crow flies. If you can find a route that gets you from A to B in 2 minutes, please share the map!
It's 1.5 miles, at 2 am I think he was driving 30-45 mph.
And yes, that is the distance from the itinerary.

And yes, that is the distance from the itinerary.
If he knew that area quite well and he wound around through smaller roads, I bet it would be possible, seriously. Agreed with Swansee, what would the plan be to do it? Because right, all my maps show 6, 7 mins, too. 34 mins walking, I believe.

Alright, alright. You can get to Pullman in 15 minutes, 10 miles away, taking a highway in the middle of the day. Why would it take 6 minutes to drive less than two miles in the middle of the night? Not sure we should be relying on Google maps which would be pointing towards typical conditions. I have destinations nearby that are similar distance and I could be there in less than 5 minutes during the day. If it were the middle of the night, with no cars around (and possibly during an emergency), I would say it would be half that time. JMOO

It
@Boxer , I'm not finding any route that allows a person to go from Steptoe to Nevada in 2mn, at any time of day or night. Like I said it's not as the crow flies. Please show a map of your 2mn itinerary.
I am not going to upload, but enter the addressess.

Look at the distance between the the 2 points.

Steptoe Apartments, 1630 Northeast Valley Road, Pullman, Washington

And

SE Nevada St & NE Stadium Way, Pullman, WA 99163

The distance is 1.5 miles.

Traffic, lights and speed limits cause this to say 6 minutes in the day and 5 at night.
At 2 am catching greens on the blvd and ignoring a few stops, traveling average 30-45 gets a car to the camera shot within the time frame.

I've done this multiple times ( in my time zone it's very easy for me to be awake at what would be 3am Moscow time). I could never get it to under 5 minutes.
Especially if you remember that the car has to be northbound when it is seen by the camera at 2:44. Which means it can't have taken the most direct route shown on Google maps. It must have looped around via somewhere else to end up heading north on Nevada at 2:44.
I wish it was simple, but it really isn't.

I looked. What is the discrepancy you are talking about?
The times do not work.

2:42am CAST: BK's phone using cellular resources at his apartment. (page 13)
2:44am video: white Elantra is traveling North on SE Nevada St. heading TOWARDS BK's apartment. (page 8)

There are many traffic cameras on SE Nevada St. The closest one to the Steptoe Apartments is located at SE Nevada St and Valley Rd. However, the white Elantra is not photographed at this location.

The above discrepancy between the location of BK's phone and the white Elantra indicates one of these possibilities:
1. BK left his phone at home and was driving his car
2. BK was at home with his phone and someone else was driving his car
3. That was not BK's white Elantra

Then less than 3 minutes later BK's phone is in the car and and the car is heading southeast on Nevada St.
Questions: Did he park, run into his apartment and grab his phone knowing he was going to go commit murder? Usually when people stop through their house to pick something up after having been out for some time, they use the toilet, but 3 minutes is a very short timeframe to include that after parking a vehicle and getting the phone. Did someone pick him up?

2:47am CAST: BK's phone using cellular resources south of his apartment.
2:53am video: white Elantra is traveling Southeast on Nevada St. towards SR270

But...that's not all.

The white Elantra is seen on traffic camera at 5:25am at 1300 Johnson Rd, Pullman, WA while the CAST report has BK's phone from 4:50am to 5:26am traveling south on 95 to Genesee - this location is 24 minutes (19.5 miles) away from Johnson Rd.

The above discrepancy indicates one of these possibilities:
1. BK was driving to Genesee at 5:25am
2. BK was returning to his apartment in Pullman via 1300 Johnson Rd at 5:25am.

Possibility: Because BK's car cannot be in 2 places 19.5 miles apart at the same time, were there 2 white Elantra's without a front license plate driving around that night?

CAST report shows BK's phone returned to his apartment at 5:30am. It is impossible to get from Genesee to Johnson Rd in less than 24 minutes. It is impossible to get from 1300 Johnson rd to the Steptoe Apartments in 5 minutes.

Traffic cameras show the white Elantra headed towards the Steptoe apartments at 5:27
The Traffic camera at Stadium way and Valley Rd (the one closest to BK's apartment) does not capture an image of the white Elantra.

All times and locations were taken from the PCA Exhibit A: DocumentCloud

All JMO, MOO.

The times do not work.

2:44am video: white Elantra is traveling North on SE Nevada St. heading TOWARDS BK's apartment. (page 8)

There are many traffic cameras on SE Nevada St. The closest one to the Steptoe Apartments is located at SE Nevada St and Valley Rd. However, the white Elantra is not photographed at this location.

The above discrepancy between the location of BK's phone and the white Elantra indicates one of these possibilities:

Then less than 3 minutes later BK's phone is in the car and and the car is heading southeast on Nevada St.
Questions: Did he park, run into his apartment and grab his phone knowing he was going to go commit murder? Usually when people stop through their house to pick something up after having been out for some time, they use the toilet, but 3 minutes is a very short timeframe to include that after parking a vehicle and getting the phone. Did someone pick him up?

But...that's not all.

The white Elantra is seen on traffic camera at 5:25am at 1300 Johnson Rd, Pullman, WA while the CAST report has BK's phone from 4:50am to 5:26am traveling south on 95 to Genesee - this location is 24 minutes (19.5 miles) away from Johnson Rd.

Possibility: Because BK's car cannot be in 2 places 19.5 miles apart at the same time, were there 2 white Elantra's without a front license plate driving around that night?

CAST report shows BK's phone returned to his apartment at 5:30am. It is impossible to get from Genesee to Johnson Rd in less than 24 minutes. It is impossible to get from 1300 Johnson rd to the Steptoe Apartments in 5 minutes.

Traffic cameras show the white Elantra headed towards the Steptoe apartments at 5:27
The Traffic camera at Stadium way and Valley Rd (the one closest to BK's apartment) does not capture an image of the white Elantra.

All JMO, MOO.
Where is the camera at Valley Rd? I find no intersection of those roads.

Where is the camera at Valley Rd? I find no intersection of those roads.
Sorry, NE Stadium Way has a camera at NE Valley Rd. That is the closest traffic camera to Steptoe Apartments. Looks like I got it right the second time I mentioned it and wrong the first time but I was talking about the same camera both times which is at NE Stadium Way and NE Valley Rd.

Sorry, NE Stadium Way has a camera at NE Valley Rd. That is the closest traffic camera to Steptoe Apartments. Looks like I got it right the second time I mentioned it and wrong the first time but I was talking about the same camera both times which is at NE Stadium Way and NE Valley Rd.
That is the west side route to se Nevada, I had him driving down a route to the east from his apt, and down Stadium Way.

The times do not work.

But...that's not all.

All JMO, MOO.
PCA: "Between 4:50 a.m. and 5:26 a.m., the phone utilizes cellular resources that are consistent with the 8458 Phone traveling south on ID state highway 95 to Genesee, ID, then traveling west towards Uniontown, ID, and then north back into Pullman, WA"

So he starts in Blaine, Blaine to Genesee, 14 mins; within Genesee moving west on Uniontown Rd, 7 mins; end of that road to Pullman, 29 mins. Grand total: 50 mins, deducting for night driving time maybe 30-40 mins. That's all within range and works, MOO. By 5:25, he is nearly home,

5:25= vehicle at 1300 Johnson Road/northbound
Next=north on Bishop Blvd & northwest on 270
5:2? =northbound on Stadium Way at Nevada, Stadium Way at Grimes Way, Stadium Drive at Wilson Road, and Stadium Way at Cougar Way.

21 mins from Blaine to Johnson Rd, Pullman, that works because they're talking about a block of time from 4:50 to 5:26. From Johnson Road to Bishop Blvd, 3 mins. From there, he's 3 miles from Steptoe.

PCA: "Between 4:50 a.m. and 5:26 a.m., the phone utilizes cellular resources that are consistent with the 8458 Phone traveling south on ID state highway 95 to Genesee, ID, then traveling west towards Uniontown, ID, and then north back into Pullman, WA"

So he starts in Blaine, Blaine to Genesee, 14 mins; within Genesee moving west on Uniontown Rd, 7 mins; end of that road to Pullman, 29 mins. Grand total: 50 mins, deducting for night driving time maybe 30-40 mins. That's all within range and works, MOO. By 5:25, he is nearly home,

5:25= vehicle at 1300 Johnson Road/northbound
Next=north on Bishop Blvd & northwest on 270
5:2? =northbound on Stadium Way at Nevada, Stadium Way at Grimes Way, Stadium Drive at Wilson Road, and Stadium Way at Cougar Way.

21 mins from Blaine to Johnson Rd, Pullman, that works because they're talking about a block of time from 4:50 to 5:26. From Johnson Road to Bishop Blvd, 3 mins. From there, he's 3 miles from Steptoe.
He could not simultaneously be driving towards Genesee AND at 1300 Johnson Rd. That's physically impossible.

Understood, but they're talking about about a forty min spread of time (between 4:50 a.m. and 5:26 a.m). He starts in Blaine, on to Genesee, Uniontown Road back to Pullman. He ends up back in Pullman on time, it makes sense to me.

Any ideas on what he was doing in Johnson ID later that day? "Additional analysis of records for the 8458 Phone indicated that between approximately 5:32 p.m. and 5:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to Johnson, ID. The 8458 Phone then stops reporting to the network from approximately 5:36 p.m. to 8:30 p.m."

Do they seriously mean Johnson ID? That's like an hour and a half away from Moscow. I've heard people speculating that he may have gone out there to get rid of the knife. I've wondered (and others have) about this point specifically because Johnson ID is not Johnson Rd. Johnson ID is like the wilderness, so I think that's why people are speculating about the knife. But I'm wondering what exactly the Johnson is here in the PCA, is it supposed to be "Road" or really Johnson ID??

I would think it has to be Johnson Road because they go on to say... "That is consistent with the 8458 Phone being the area that the 8458 Phone traveled in the hours immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred."

Last edited:
Understood, but they're talking about about a forty min spread of time (between 4:50 a.m. and 5:26 a.m). He starts in Blaine, on to Genesee, Uniontown Road back to Pullman. He ends up back in Pullman on time, it makes sense to me.

Any ideas on what he was doing in Johnson ID later that day? "Additional analysis of records for the 8458 Phone indicated that between approximately 5:32 p.m. and 5:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to Johnson, ID. The 8458 Phone then stops reporting to the network from approximately 5:36 p.m. to 8:30 p.m."

Do they seriously mean Johnson ID? That's like an hour and a half away from Moscow. I've heard people speculating that he may have gone out there to get rid of the knife. I've wondered (and others have) about this point specifically because Johnson ID is not Johnson Rd. Johnson ID is like the wilderness, so I think that's why people are speculating about the knife. But I'm wondering what exactly the Johnson is here in the PCA, is it supposed to be "Road" or really Johnson ID??

I would think it has to be Johnson Road because they go on to say... "That is consistent with the 8458 Phone being the area that the 8458 Phone traveled in the hours immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred."

Clarifying, Johnson, Idaho was supposed to be Johnson, Washington, just south of Pullman. I believe this was clarified early on but I can't recall the source. It was understood to be a typo, but it made me wonder a lot. JMOO

Very early on, I looked at Johnson, Idaho, hoping to find a clue. I noticed that it was near the town of Pierce, which clung in my mind. Did that mean something (apologies) like stabbing. Was this relevant? Obviously, I discarded it since but this is a very unusual case.

Last edited:
Back to the inconsistency on the cellular data. Is this the issue? "On November 13,2022 al approximately 2:42 a.m., the 8458 Phone was utilizing cellular resources that provide coverage to 1630 Northeast Valley Road, Apt G201, Pullman, WA, hereafter the 'Kohberger Residence.'"

Not squaring with this: " "2:44 a.m. on November 13, 2022, a white sedan, which was consistent with the description of the White Elantra known as Suspect Vehicle 1, was observed on WSU surveillance cameras travelling north on southeast Nevada Street at northeast Stadium Way"

That could be explained by the areas of tower coverage, I would think. ? Meaning it's 6 minutes between these locations. Maybe he was in the first coverage area at 2:42, but "just barely," he was already in motion, and he has moved to the second area (showing Nevada) by that 2:44 time. I think I saw someone earlier talking about this same issue, going to pick back through and see. The times may just seem skewed because of his placement within coverage area. And maybe all these locations are within the same coverage area, but with weaker signal at certain points.
<modsnip>

IMO, yes, think of this like Spider-Man swinging from tower to tower. Grabbbng the next one before leaving the one it’s at. Called a “soft handoff”. And that next tower might be selected based on more than just signal strength. Look up how to turn on “field mode” on your phone and you can actually see the towers you hit in your neighborhood.

AT&T also has a much better location tool with better data. And IMO the Moscow police department would ask to use it. Opinions are split on how good it is. With the most extreme opinions saying it can go down to the foot accuracy if conditions are right. The only catch is you can’t bring it to court as they consider their methods trade secrets and will not testify to its reliability.

Edit: the specific algorithm and data set that accounts for the location portion of AT&Ts program outlined above is ‘NELOS’. While most location services attempt to give you an idea of where the person is. AT&T claims accuracy to where the actual phone is specifically.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Snipped by me for focus:

They specifically mention the 1300 block of Johnson Rd as part of the return itinerary of the white Elantra, since a block number is given, this was a camera that captured the white Elantra as it returned to Pullman, WA.

However, there is another instance described in the PCA where he seems to have gone to Johnson, ID on the afternoon of Nov. 13 between 5:32 and 5:36pm. (page 19 of the PCA)

I had to input the times mentioned in the PCA into a spreadsheet to find the anomalies and contradictions and realize what a mess they are. Imagine how frustrated the attorneys for this case feel at a year and 4 months out from the date of the crime. They really need the finalized CAST report ASAP. It is most unfair for them to have to try to prosecute and defend this case without full detailed information. If the finalized CAST report still shows these anomalies alongside the photographic evidence, both the prosecution and defense need as much time as possible to have their experts analyze the data and try figure out what happened.

All JMO, MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member