CONVICTION OVERTURNED AK - Kent Leppink, 36, murdered, Hope, 2 May 1996

Is Carlin Jr waiting for some sort of compensation for testifying (doing the right thing), putting his father in prison and then the people he trusted (authorities) letting his father be murdered in prison?

If so, he's probably really pissed off and unwilling to cooperate without compensation for his loss.

So Carlin IV, the "uncooperative" state witness, from what I understand, has filed a civil suit against the prison system, which is the state. I don't know if that is what is making him choose to be "uncooperative."

Carlin IV has his own relationship with Mechele, and I mean relationship in a non-salacious manner--by all accounts available, their relationship was kind of a maternal/big sister type of thing...he'd lost his mother, Mechele was the woman of the house in Alaska and she sort of took over that role in a sense, although she was only a few years older than him.

He testified for the state at Mechele's first trial, but apparently hugged Mechele before entering the court building, and winked at her on his way up to the witness stand.

According to snippets of adn articles, the three television programs, and the Rosen book (which, remember, is a poorly written and edited book by an unacclaimed author who doesn't bother to cite his references), Carlin IV not only left Alaska with Mechele shortly after the murder (IIRC, they took her RV and a bunch of pets and took the long way to Louisianna via California to pick up some furniture from Hilke, and Utah for her to pick up Kent's laptop which Mechele had shipped to her sister VERY soon after the murder with the request that her sister tamper with stolen goods--potential evidence--by erasing the hard drive. Luckily her sister refused.

Then years later, when Mechele and Colin had moved from Louisianna to Maryland (Colin's residency, I believe) and finally to Washington and their daughter was quite young, Carlin IV moved in with Mechele and Colin, supposedly for him to help her with the housework and baby while Colin went to Iraq. According to the Rosen book, Carlin IV was happy with the situation at first, but soon felt he was being used for too much housework and babysitting with too little actual compensation; he felt like the situation in reality was not the situation agreed upon originally. According to the Rosen book, Carlin alleges that he left Washington via plane and was unable to arrange for air transport for his dog in the short amount of time it took him to get the he!! outta Mechele's house, leaving the dog at Mechele's and apparently clear about making arrangements to have the dog transported later. According to the book, Carlin IV alleges that Mechele "stole" his dog and refused to pay him for work he had completed. I do believe he lives in the Seattle area again now, though, or at least has in the last couple of years.

I do not know the veracity of the young Carlin's allegations against Mechele. I'm just telling you they are in the book and I read them.

I suspect there are some confused feelings for Carlin IV. The poor kid had just lost his mom, moved clear across the country to Alaska, then he had to live in that obviously dysfunctional household with Mechele and her suitors, then deal with the murder and aftermath and moving across the country again, and all that before his dad was even put in prison and subsequently murdered himself! He is the one I have the most sympathy for in this situation. Michele's daughter, too, of course, but at least Mechele's daughter has had a consistent father and frequent visit and phone calls with her mother. And from the very brief interviews and statements I've seen by Carlin IV, I've wondered if he might have some slight cognitive processing issues. If so, that would have only made all of the above that much more difficult for him.

IMO, FWIW, etc.

Also, there has to be record of a deposition taken by Carlin IV originally. Can they use that in the new trial or at least use that when deposing him again, if they have to depose him again?

:waitasec:

eta: okay, I see marilhicks bumped Nancy's post about this...thanks marilhicks! :)

So talk on the comments of the public, open group on facebook, found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/55155870302/ indicate that Carlin IV may be "unable to locate," not just uncooperative.

Additionally, there is mention of perhaps his lack of cooperation stemming from the civil suit he's filed. And then there is criticism of him because he was the only one to "try to profit" from this. I find that statement to show such an incredible lack of understanding, compassion, and empathy I was nearly astounded until I remembered where I was reading. I mean, the kid's dad was murdered in prison in a cell where he was supposed to have been safe--I'm not saying prisons are safe or even that they pretend to be, I'm saying he was in his cell, at night, and somehow several people got in his cell, beat him to death, then were able to leave his cell? (That's the story as I understand it--feel free to correct). And Mechele's supporter(s) have the audacity to criticize him for wanting to hold the state accountable???

It's like "Opposite-Land, Featuring 'The Den of Denial' along with the 'Lack of Empathy Players'!"
Don't anyone dare try to hold anyone accountable for murder (especially Mechele)! It's okay for Mechele to be a con person and profit from ill-gotten gains (not the stripping--the conning), but Carlin IV's the bad guy now because he wants compensation for his loss?!?!?!

I am seriously disgusted.

What Mechele wants, Mechele gets.

I suppose that makes her a bit like Casey Anthony and Amanda Knox ... women sociopaths that manipulate men, especially in positions of authority, into confusing the truth.

Now if Carlin IV ends up dead in the next month or so...
I worry for his safety:(

adn article linked upthread is being updated quickly...here's the link again
http://www.adn.com/2012/01/17/2268278/linehan-could-leave-alaska-if.html

Mechele reportedly boarded an airplane back to Washington shortly after today's proceedings.

New quote from newly updated article:

As prosecutors work with Carlin and his lawyer, Linehan's fate remains undecided, Miovas said.
"I don't think, at this point, we know what the final conclusion is. It still hasn't been resolved yet," Miovas said.
Strout said it should be clear, after Linehan's conviction and her indictment were thrown out, that the state is wasting its time and money.
"It's a huge amount of resources being spent on a case where, we're hoping they realize, they don't have the evidence to proceed," Strout said.
Miovas said the cost of prosecuting Linehan has not been part of the discussion about seeking another indictment.
"I've never discussed, with anybody, those types of matters," Miovas said.

The article also refers to Carlin IV as possibly not being a "viable" witness.

So it looks like she may very well get away with it. How special for her. Perhaps Casey Anthony can fly up to Seattle when her probation is over and she, Mechele, and Amanda Knox can have a nice smug little tea together and discuss how "exonerated" they all feel.

Now if Carlin IV ends up dead in the next month or so...
I worry for his safety:(

Interesting thought. Carlin Jr could be concerned for his welfare. He was living with Kent, his father, Mechele and that other guy (the Hilke one that got away). Kent is dead. His father is dead. That other guy got away. Mechele has been in prison for years. If I were him, I would be afraid.

Anyone that can point a finger at her is not dead. They are manipulated until they kill those that lose the faith.

adn article linked upthread is being updated quickly...here's the link again
http://www.adn.com/2012/01/17/2268278/linehan-could-leave-alaska-if.html

Mechele reportedly boarded an airplane back to Washington shortly after today's proceedings.

New quote from newly updated article:

The article also refers to Carlin IV as possibly not being a "viable" witness.

So it looks like she may very well get away with it. How special for her. Perhaps Casey Anthony can fly up to Seattle when her probation is over and she, Mechele, and Amanda Knox can have a nice smug little tea together and discuss how "exonerated" they all feel.

She and Knox can have their smug hugs in Seattle without Casey ... one a child, one a foe and one an insurance policy ... all evil women.

well I'm not precisely shocked...I dont know that they'll continue with the indictment now that they've been crippled with the loss of the letter and carlin IV. I'd be more surprised than not if they DO attempt to re-indict. the DA knows what I know - thin white middle class women are rarely held accountable. the evidence speaks, but the jury wont always hear or see.

RIP kent leppink, the victim who is CONSTANTLY being lost in all this.

The reason the DA didn't re-endict was because there was no case. It wasn't that the case was crippled by the lack of the letter. The Kent's entire letter makes clear that Kent was after revenge for Mechele not marrying him. The vague accusation of "probable" murder was just the last of smears intended to discredit Mechele. Kent never had any reason to suspect Mechele of wanting him dead.

Justice for Kent should never have depended on injustice of Mechele and John. The assistant district attorney makes it sound as though there are just a few formalities before he can present the case before another grand jury, but how would we know if he had tried and failed? It would all be in secret.

Assuming John Carlin IV has something to fear from Mechele is petty. It's just sour grapes on the part of Mechele's enemies.

well I'm not precisely shocked...I dont know that they'll continue with the indictment now that they've been crippled with the loss of the letter and carlin IV. I'd be more surprised than not if they DO attempt to re-indict. the DA knows what I know - thin white middle class women are rarely held accountable. the evidence speaks, but the jury wont always hear or see.

RIP kent leppink, the victim who is CONSTANTLY being lost in all this.

ITA, 2goldfish. What a sick, sad world.

At this point, I also will be surprised if they do go for a re-indictment.
And just because they don't go for a re-indictment doesn't mean Mechele is innocent, it just means the evidence they have to work with now, after the death of Carlin III, the throw-out of Kent's letter, and Carlin IV's apparent issues, the evidence they do have left may not be enough.

The reason the DA didn't re-endict was because there was no case.

<snip>
Oh really? So is there an article or announcement from the DA stating they aren't going for a re-indictment because yesterday they made it quite clear they haven't made the decision one way or the other due to witness issues.

Just because they didn't re-indict yesterday doesn't mean they won't or can't.

Although I don't think they will for reasons stated above.

As far as us being "Mechele's enemies," that just goes to show once again how it all comes down to being all about Mechele--no one was heckled and called Casey Anthony's enemy when they thought she was guilty--even the most snarkiest of posters on the Amanda Knox threads didn't accuse people of being her enemy.

Pathetic that her supporters can't discuss the case without name-calling.

Even if Carlin IV cannot be made to witness for the prosecution, there are things the defense could subpoena him for.

He can be asked how long the gun had been missing. He can be asked the likelihood of the hallway closet as a reasonable hiding place for a murder weapon. He can be asked how his father reacted to his finding the gun in the hallway closet. He can be asked if his father saw him getting his fingerprints on the gun.

Carlin IV was at home the night that Kent was killed. He can be asked when Mechele arrived from the airport. He can be asked if arrived while Kent was still there.

He can be asked if he ever used his father's or Kent's email ID to send emails.

Carlin IV may be immune to further prosecution subpoenas, but he's not immune to defense subpoenas.

I'm not so sure that the prosecutor or the Attorney General can come back and re-indict now that the thirty day limit is up. The judge gave them thirty days to re-indict and they did not. Since grand juries are secret, we don't even know if they tried and failed.

In any case, how long should the State hold Mechele under suspicion without re-indicting her? Since they cannot, she should be issued a letter of exoneration.

From where came the idea that Mechele supporters criticize John IV for suing the State of Alaska for his father's death? Who did the criticizing and how did that person speak for me?

So talk on the comments of the public, open group on facebook, found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/55155870302/ indicate that Carlin IV may be "unable to locate," not just uncooperative.

Additionally, there is mention of perhaps his lack of cooperation stemming from the civil suit he's filed. And then there is criticism of him because he was the only one to "try to profit" from this. I find that statement to show such an incredible lack of understanding, compassion, and empathy I was nearly astounded until I remembered where I was reading. I mean, the kid's dad was murdered in prison in a cell where he was supposed to have been safe--I'm not saying prisons are safe or even that they pretend to be, I'm saying he was in his cell, at night, and somehow several people got in his cell, beat him to death, then were able to leave his cell? (That's the story as I understand it--feel free to correct). And Mechele's supporter(s) have the audacity to criticize him for wanting to hold the state accountable???

It's like "Opposite-Land, Featuring 'The Den of Denial' along with the 'Lack of Empathy Players'!"
Don't anyone dare try to hold anyone accountable for murder (especially Mechele)! It's okay for Mechele to be a con person and profit from ill-gotten gains (not the stripping--the conning), but Carlin IV's the bad guy now because he wants compensation for his loss?!?!?!

I am seriously disgusted.

From where came the idea that Mechele supporters criticize John IV for suing the State of Alaska for his father's death? Who did the criticizing and how did that person speak for me?

Uh, I clearly stated that the comments I was referring to were from the Free Mechele facebook page, which is a public, open group.

I never stated that they speak for you.

I'm not so sure that the prosecutor or the Attorney General can come back and re-indict now that the thirty day limit is up. The judge gave them thirty days to re-indict and they did not. Since grand juries are secret, we don't even know if they tried and failed.

In any case, how long should the State hold Mechele under suspicion without re-indicting her? Since they cannot, she should be issued a letter of exoneration.

One would think that if the state is now in a position where they can never try for a re-indictment then the judge might have mentioned that to them in court yesterday when they were discussing the issues with the witness. But he didn't...the whole thing seemed up in the air still. So I'm not so sure the prosecutor cannot re-indict.

The individuals in the DA's office, and anyone else is free to continue to be suspicious of Mechele...for the rest of their lives if they wish.

Flourish: You wrote:

" And Mechele's supporter(s) have the audacity to criticize him for wanting to hold the state accountable??? "

I am part of those who are Mechele's supporters. You didn't state you were excluding anyone. Also, I have searched the Wall at the Free Mechele Facebook Page, and I cannot find the comments you refer to. I did find this one:

<modsnip>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back