AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was caught at a hotel - I wonder if he'd have been naive enough to use the card to book the room/hold the room/pay for the room? I wouldn't THINK so, given his state-hopping while attempting transactions - pretty savvy, IMO. Yet, stranger things have happened.

Or, could a random copper have, upon patrolling the lot (which happens in every hotel I know of in the Chicagoland area, not sure about other areas)...seen the plates, and ran 'em, given that they were looking for a similar car in connection with the credit card fraud, further south (I THINK)? JMO

He would have had to use a CC to rent the car. Am I correct in assuming that when the two withdrawals were made in Anchorage amounted to $1,000 it became a Federal case?

According to the affidavit:

03/12
(The last) ATM transaction was made in Shepherd, TX at 2:47 am. Shepherd is 63 miles south of Lufkin.

03/13
At approximately 11:00 am, the white Ford "was observed" parked in the Quality Inn and Suites in Lufkin.

"Shortly thereafter" Keyes "was observed" leaving the room and putting personal items in the trunk of the Ford.

At approximately 11:45 am, a traffic stop was conducted on the white Ford, etc.

None of this sounds random to me. In the 30 or so hours after the ATM withdrawal in Shepherd, I think LE was able to trace him to the motel. (Just a theory, but I think they knew he was headed to Lufkin.) There the "observer" spotted the car, called for back up, and watched while Keyes drove out of the parking lot. JMO

03/12
(The last) ATM transaction was made in Shepherd, TX at 2:47 am. Shepherd is 63 miles south of Lufkin.

03/13
At approximately 11:00 am, the white Ford "was observed" parked in the Quality Inn and Suites in Lufkin.

"Shortly thereafter" Keyes "was observed" leaving the room and putting personal items in the trunk of the Ford.

None of this sounds random to me. In the 30 or so hours after the ATM withdrawal in Shepherd, I think LE was able to trace him to the motel. (Just a theory, but I think they knew he was headed to Lufkin.) There the "observer" spotted the car, called for back up, and watched while Keyes drove out of the parking lot. JMO

I agree. They knew right where this guy was.

IMHO

I'm thinking LE thought it was Sam and it's prolly Duane's card.

lol. I don't think they thought the person using the card was Sam. She's not a muscular build tall guy as described from the ATM videos.

:fence:
IMHO

Koenig's father, James Koenig, said Friday that the card is not his and that he doesn't know who owns the card.

"I have no idea," James Koenig said. "I'm sure it'll come out soon enough, whose card it is, but at this point I don't know and I'm not going to speculate."

http://www.adn.com/2012/03/23/2387632/marshalls-service-begins-transport.html#storylink=cpy
I thought the same thing, but wouldn't JK know it was his?

This case is beyond bizarre. I think I've got it figured out and then everything changes and back to square one.

IMHO

Well, somehow it all leads back to Sam. I'm curious to see just how LE made the connection because I'm clueless.

It's a tangled web for sure.

IMHO

I am thinking IK had more than one card and one of those may have been SK's, or a card that was in the till at CGE used for purchases that were not on an account or "pay as you go" so to speak. I would guess that if this were the case he may not of withdrew the $1000 goal to increase the magnitude of the crime. (on the other accounts/cards) JMO

“He may only be a witness in that, or he may not be involved in any way except using these credit cards, or he may be a suspect,” said Lieutenant Dave Parker. “The fact that he was in possession of these items....."

http://www.ktva.com/home/top-stories/Suspect-or-Person-of-Interest-143836966.html

If you were a thief randomly stealing ATM cards you would use it immediately, right? So if IK either stole the card and somehow got the PIN, then waited for a few weeks to use it (unlikely).... or someone gave it to him. If he is the one that stole the card, why would he think it would work weeks later unless he had some assurance?

03/12

03/13

that's another odd thing. The car was observed, he was observed, I assume for using the card .... that is enough to get him then and there. Unless they thought he may be going to be in contact with Samantha.

Exactly how do these card readers work? How does the thief get the card number and pin? Is it something they receive electronically or do they need access to the actual card terminal/swiper?

Did they trace this guy not knowing about any connection to SK, but just trying to get him for the cards theft, then when they did stop him, possibly find her card among the ones he had, plus a mask matching what was on the tape? Maybe SK's card was not actually used, but he had it?

I am thinking IK had more than one card and one of those may have been SK's, or a card that was in the till at CGE used for purchases that were not on an account or "pay as you go" so to speak. I would guess that if this were the case he may not of withdrew the $1000 goal to increase the magnitude of the crime. (on the other accounts/cards) JMO

http://www.ktva.com/home/top-stories/Suspect-or-Person-of-Interest-143836966.html

But wasn't her purse and cell phone, etc. left at Common Grounds? You're thinking he made her grab her wallet and remove her debit card? A kid like Sam probably wouldn't have two nickels in her bank account, IK surely would have been smarter than that.

A straight up robbery makes more sense, but why take her? I wonder if she recognized him despite his mask and he had no choice? Maybe he was a customer? If we hear next that he owns a Harley, I'm gonna shoot straight out of my chair.

Exactly how do these card readers work? How does the thief get the card number and pin? Is it something they receive electronically or do they need access to the actual card terminal/swiper?

According to my bank security guy there are two main ways. One way is the 'skimmers' they can put on ATM machines and atm's on the gas pumps. They put a little plastic device INSIDE the little pocket that you swipe your card in, or stick your card in. And that little device reads the info as you put it in for your transaction. They leave the skimmer in there for a day or soi and then come back and take it out and they have hundreds of ATM card numbers and pins. They can take that to their little workshops and make their own duplicate copy of YOUR atm card. They did that with mine and spent 6oo dollars in a half an hour and then were denied for the next 400 they tried to get because my bank shut my card down. :eek:

There are also magnetic skimmers that can actually 'read' your card info magnetically as they walk past you, even if your card is in your wallet. :what: He said we should keep our cards wrapped in tin foil or metal.

According to my bank security guy there are two main ways. One way is the 'skimmers' they can put on ATM machines and atm's on the gas pumps. They put a little plastic device INSIDE the little pocket that you swipe your card in, or stick your card in. And that little device reads the info as you put it in for your transaction. They leave the skimmer in there for a day or soi and then come back and take it out and they have hundreds of ATM card numbers and pins. They can take that to their little workshops and make their own duplicate copy of YOUR atm card. They did that with mine and spent 6oo dollars in a half an hour and then were denied for the next 400 they tried to get because my bank shut my card down. :eek:

There are also magnetic skimmers that can actually 'read' your card info magnetically as they walk past you, even if your card is in your wallet. :what: He said we should keep our cards wrapped in tin foil or metal.

Thanks for the info! Thinking the clerk at the grocery store, as well as the people behind me in line, might think I'm a little weird as I pull my tin foil encased card from my wallet :floorlaugh:

I knew about the machine skimmers, but not the ones that read cards in your wallet. That's downright scary, katydid!

Something occurred to me, we don't know if Keyes was alone in that motel room. We only know he left alone in his car. According to the motel's website, checkout time is noon. He left around 11:30-ish, and LE was hanging around waiting in the parking lot. I have a feeling someone tipped off LE that he would be checking out that morning.

Another thought, while all of the attention was on him being arrested, is it possible someone else was taken into custody quietly back at the QI&S? I don't mean Samantha, but another party? Hmm...I guess we would've heard if that were the case. However, I'm very curious to know if LE searched the motel room.

Thanks for the info! Thinking the clerk at the grocery store, as well as the people behind me in line, might think I'm a little weird as I pull my tin foil encased card from my wallet :floorlaugh:
Not if you wear your matching tin foil hat. :lol:

How utterly bizarre.

With the new information that has been released I have come up with a couple of new theories. They don't add up as well as I would like but none of this case has.
To be completely honest with all of you, I think I might just sit back and watch the fireworks. I have a feeling that some very surprising information will be released/leaked before the month is over.

I just hope SK is safe and is returned home soon.

But why just throw rolls of money in the floorboard of the vehicle and leave them in plain view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82