AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE being quiet can mean either of the two things...getting close to making a case, or making no headway at all. I've seen many cases where silence by LE was interpreted as thinking LE was all over a case, and yet nothing happens...JMO

Kyron, Celina, Hailey, Joshua, Holly, Haileigh, ....the devastating list goes on.

For the benefit of our newer members who might be having a hard time understanding the rules, I'm going to bump these questions posted by a member in the previous thread along with my responses.

Thanks for clearing that up Bessie. Now that it has been completely explained--- what is the point of this site, and other public sites with public info, if it can't be discussed, or compiled in one place?
I can't speak for other sites, only Websleuths. This is a moderated discussion board with carefully thought out rules designed to serve interesting and lively discussion while providing a safe environment for members to post. Every effort is made to ensure that only factual information is provided. Consideration is also given to protecting the privacy of innocent individuals who end up on the fringes of a crime simply by association and through no fault of their own. Translated, that means there are limits on what we are allowed to post.

I have been under the wrong assumption about why we have all gathered here, and have to be verified before we are approved to even post if we can't accurately repost public info.
I don't know what you've assumed, so I can't address that comment. On WS, public information is generally defined as anything that has been reported by the mainstream media. If you can link it to MSM, you can post it, with very few exceptions.

Blogs and social networking sites hold more restrictions because the integrity of the content is questionable. In most cases, anonymity allows people to post anything they desire, and there is no way to confirm the veracity of their statements. Yet, the level of credibility is spread across the scales, leaving mods to excercise discretion over what information is acceptable to share. This presents gray areas, and the rules can vary somewhat from case to case depending on the circumstances. To prevent misunderstandings, the guidelines for each case are usually spelled out pretty clearly in the threads, often in the opening post which is copied over to each subsequent thread. One rule stays consistent: we do not copy and paste from social networking sites. The only exceptions that come to mind are statements posted by LE and news reporters.

I can assure you that admin and mods do their best to serve the wishes of the posters. Keep in mind, we are members, too, with the same interest in true crime as the rest of the membership. By the same token, it can be quite a challenge to maintain a proper balance.

I am also under the impression there are priveate or sub forums here you must be invite too--Can anyone validate that rumor?
Threads in the "Private Forums", e.g., Parking Lot, Jury Room, etc., are open to all members. There are no "by invitation only" threads at WS. The PL and JR are private only in the respect that one must be a member to read them.

I am sorry if this post came off direct or sharp...
When in doubt, you should always ask questions, but moderation is not discussed in the open forums. Questions should be addressed in a pm to a moderator.

If you haven't done so already, I think you will find it helpful to review "the rules". Here are a few links to help you out.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules: Etiquette and Information[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65794"]Terms of Service: Long, Detailed Verson[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91915"]Best Practices: Dealing with Fellow Posters[/ame]

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653"]Professional Posters and Verified Insiders[/ame]

Also, in the open forum, it is a violation of the rules to request others to communicate with you by pm, or to discuss pm's exchanged with other members.

And, if you see rules being violated in the thread, notify a mod by clicking the Alert (red triangle) button in the offending post.

what if a meeting between her and someone else was scheduled to occur, in the privacy of the boarded up hut? Perhaps a drug or firearm deal, maybe just a quick session to smoke a joint....and someone ELSE showed up---someone she was familiar with but was surprised to see?

I personally was lured out of my home by a predator while I had no shoes on, no purse no nothing, as a matter of fact, I was dressed for bed---and before I knew it, I was a half mile away....and I went willingly. As an adult, I now see, had they managed to kill me, they would have gotten away with it. There were ZERO clues, not even a record of me ever have met this person, because they were a cousin of a close friend....

This is interesting.. at first I thought, well she wouldn't be that dumb, to invite someone in to smoke or whatever, knowing there was a camera inside the hut as well as outside.. BUT then I remembered the owner saying the camera was covered somehow.. So maybe this is what happened: The inside camera was covered right away when the guy came in (maybe she even did it herself, as you said, planning just to meet with someone--to pay back part of a debt, who knows?) and things turned ugly. Maybe she didn't have enough $$? So then it was the outside camera that caught her being taken roughly from the hut..

Of course, just speculating..

(Sorry for what happened to you CK, I'm glad you ended up ok) :)

I think she was led out. When you realize that you put yourself in a bad situation, you just wanna get it over with--you want it to go smooth and just kick yourself for getting into it... I still think she left in a more willing fashion than a violent one.

1- Appoint an official spokesperson, preferrably a lawyer.

2- Hire a no holds barred private investigator. With as high profile as this case has gotten, he might get those services for next to nothing.

3- Air out everything instead of holding it in. The good cleaned up version won't help to find Sam, the real stuff will.

4- Take a step back everytime he gets frustrated with things, no matter the scenario, then take a breather & regroup.

5- Have trust in fellow man. People can be good, even bad people have good in them.

6- Have faith in the APD but shout louder to the major media sites. Sam's case needs to be front & center in order to have the best most knowledgable experts lending their assistance.

7- Keep the faith and never lost hope. Pray if it makes him feel better.

Wow! Great advice! :rocker:

This is interesting.. at first I thought, well she wouldn't be that dumb, to invite someone in to smoke or whatever, knowing there was a camera inside the hut as well as outside.. BUT then I remembered the owner saying the camera was covered somehow.. So maybe this is what happened: The inside camera was covered right away when the guy came in (maybe she even did it herself, as you said, planning just to meet with someone--to pay back part of a debt, who knows?) and things turned ugly. Maybe she didn't have enough $$? So then it was the outside camera that caught her being taken roughly from the hut..

Of course, just speculating..

(Sorry for what happened to you CK, I'm glad you ended up ok) :)

Yes...I am so glad the perp didn't go any further! Some times I wonder how I have lived as long as I have!
Especially since I have become addicted to WebSleuths! :shocked2:
I look at situations so much more suspiciously now!

He did. :tears:
I was hurt.
I have healed.
...and because I am here to be wiser, I feel the need to offer my experience in other situations similar to mine..
Recently, (in the past 20 days) My house was burglarized by someone who has been watching my house for over a month. He was a solicitor for a local company and after he got my signature, he returned for my goods. I see all the mistakes I made, just because he had a badge and a legitimate job, I let my guard down...

I feel if ppl are humble and share their opinions and experiences, something will click....

I REALLY like the theory that Samantha covered the cam herself..and because it makes her look "bad" or like an accomplice to her own abduction no one wants it released.

[/B]
Yes...I am so glad the perp didn't go any further! Some times I wonder how I have lived as long as I have!
Especially since I have become addicted to WebSleuths! :shocked2:
I look at situations so much more suspiciously now!

I REALLY like the theory that Samantha covered the cam herself..and because it makes her look "bad" or like an accomplice to her own abduction no one wants it released.

CK I'm glad you're okay and here to tell your story too.

As to this theory, it's interesting. Has it always been worded in an evasive way such as "the camera was obscured" without identifying that it was obscured by the perp?

Hmmm. I'll have to go back and listen/read carefully for telltale signs that the person who did it is being carefully left out.

so she boarded the windows made coffee, let someone she knew in the door (or it was unlocked and he walked in unexpectedly).... (No one could have walked in unexpectedly, unless they drove up AFTER she had boarded the big windows and parked in that corner (closest to the cam in that thumbnail of the vid)..that is a blindspot to the window in the door--

what if a meeting between her and someone else was scheduled to occur, in the privacy of the boarded up hut? Perhaps a drug or firearm deal, maybe just a quick session to smoke a joint....and someone ELSE showed up---someone she was familiar with but was surprised to see?

I personally was lured out of my home by a predator while I had no shoes on, no purse no nothing, as a matter of fact, I was dressed for bed---and before I knew it, I was a half mile away....and I went willingly. As an adult, I now see, had they managed to kill me, they would have gotten away with it. There were ZERO clues, not even a record of me ever have met this person, because they were a cousin of a close friend....

Kate I'm so sorry that happened to you, and I'm glad you made it out ok :)

He did. :tears:
I was hurt.
I have healed.
...and because I am here to be wiser, I feel the need to offer my experience in other situations similar to mine..
Recently, (in the past 20 days) My house was burglarized by someone who has been watching my house for over a month. He was a solicitor for a local company and after he got my signature, he returned for my goods. I see all the mistakes I made, just because he had a badge and a legitimate job, I let my guard down...

I feel if ppl are humble and share their opinions and experiences, something will click....

Carp!!! :banghead::maddening::banghead::maddening:
That makes me so mad that you were taken advantage of by a sicko of society.

You know...I admire you for turning this horrific experience into a positive one by helping others. Not everyone has that strength (sometimes through no fault of their own)!
And I, too, have found that humility and honesty prevail in situations that have the most meaning.
I applaud you!

Okay, regarding camera being obscured...interesting once you consider what CK posed.

Snipped from:
http://www.adn.com/2012/02/08/2307318/police-report-some-progress-in.html

"The couple would not elaborate on what triggered the call but said the video was obscured somehow." Then they follow it with this: "This perpetrator took obvious and deliberate means to avoid being captured on video," Tyler Duncan said.

However, they do not indicate that the perp was the one that obscured the camera.

Having said all of that, once again, I pose, if the perp was in the frame but the picture was too bad for the perp to be identified...YET...

"The abduction was apparently so stealthy that a person seen in the video, sitting in a pickup about 50 feet from the stand, didn't appear to notice anything strange, Tyler said. "They were just oblivious," he said."

The camera was so high res they could see a person. Sitting in a pickup. 50 FRIGGING FEET AWAY. Looking OBLIVIOUS? And yet the actual footage of what went on was useless for identification purposes?

Do they think the public is really dumb?

CK I'm glad you're okay and here to tell your story too.

As to this theory, it's interesting. Has it always been worded in an evasive way such as "the camera was obscured" without identifying that it was obscured by the perp?

Hmmm. I'll have to go back and listen/read carefully for telltale signs that the person who did it is being carefully left out.

Maybe she DID cover the cameras. I can't remember right now how it was worded in the media..what could be inferred from the report.

Okay, regarding camera being obscured...interesting once you consider what CK posed.

Snipped from:
http://www.adn.com/2012/02/08/2307318/police-report-some-progress-in.html

"The couple would not elaborate on what triggered the call but said the video was obscured somehow." Then they follow it with this: "This perpetrator took obvious and deliberate means to avoid being captured on video," Tyler Duncan said.

However, they do not indicate that the perp was the one that obscured the camera.

Having said all of that, once again, I pose, if the perp was in the frame but the picture was too bad for the perp to be identified...YET...

"The abduction was apparently so stealthy that a person seen in the video, sitting in a pickup about 50 feet from the stand, didn't appear to notice anything strange, Tyler said. "They were just oblivious," he said."

The camera was so high res they could see a person. Sitting in a pickup. 50 FRIGGING FEET AWAY. Looking OBLIVIOUS? And yet the actual footage of what went on was useless for identification purposes?

Do they think the public is really dumb?

BBM
Of course the perp would want to NOT be recognized...so he (do we even know for certain that it is a male?) would take measures to hide, i.e. hood, head down, loose fitting clothes, etc. But as you stated, this still does not mean that Sam DID NOT cover the cameras.:waitasec:

a baseball cap, a proFit, specifically, can hide an entire face from a camera on the ceiling, especially when you buy it a quarter size too big and tilt it.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but the door on the Coffee Hut doesn't look very secure to me. It reminds me of a screen door with nothing more than a storm window in it. Maybe the owner should consider changing the door out and making sure there's a dead bolt on the door if it doesn't have one. They might even consider using one of those window bank tellers use when doing transaction at the drive through. I've seen those kind of windows at some of the drive through down in Florida where the server has no actual physical contact with the individuals they are servicing. They put their money in the draw and then the server puts the product in the draw and sides it out.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but the door on the Coffee Hut doesn't look very secure to me. It reminds me of a screen door with nothing more than a storm window in it. Maybe the owner should consider changing the door out and making sure there's a dead bolt on the door if it doesn't have one. They might even consider using one of those window bank tellers use when doing transaction at the drive through. I've seen those kind of windows at some of the drive through down in Florida where the server has no actual physical contact with the individuals they are servicing. They put their money in the draw and then the server puts the product in the draw and sides it out.

I don't think the security of the door was the problem in this case, just my opinion. And if they start having these coffee stands be more like banks with those kinds of transactions, they're not going to be around much longer (how do you slide a cup of coffee out to someone?) besides the fact that it's the friendly interaction that helps make them so popular here (and they are hugely popular here!)
I really don't think we've reached that point.. this was a rare occurrence, one that seems to have been planned out to target Sam specifically. I don't disagree with having 2 baristas close up the shops every night, but other than that, I don't think these stands, in general, are at risk. (Maybe I'm just being blissfully naive'!) :)

I did see a comment from him today under a post where he said he'd just "hit a wall", that everything was taking too long, it's been days since he's had a call from APD..

I read that last night. It made me cry - literally.

Was the "fling" ever mentioned by JK or just in the ktva article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther