AK AK - Tok, WhtMale 25-35, UP12375, one-eyed hitchhiker picked up in ID, Aug'79

So heartless. There are people in my life who get on my nerves but I would NEVER stab them to death or strangle them.

This exactly. I wondered what on earth could compel someone to murder, simply over having to deal with an obnoxious personality.

It did make me wonder though.....had this John Doe's personality caused him to go through multiple truck drivers on his journey who would have done what most people would have done, which is just flat leave him somewhere or take off when he was in the bathroom, etc?

I am jogging my mind as to what an annoying person could possibly do to compel someone to murder them, and I am coming up with a few things. Me personally, if he made a blatantly obscene gesture to a picture of my daughter, I would be very tempted to pummel him at least.

This exactly. I wondered what on earth could compel someone to murder, simply over having to deal with an obnoxious personality.

It did make me wonder though.....had this John Doe's personality caused him to go through multiple truck drivers on his journey who would have done what most people would have done, which is just flat leave him somewhere or take off when he was in the bathroom, etc?

I am jogging my mind as to what an annoying person could possibly do to compel someone to murder them, and I am coming up with a few things. Me personally, if he made a blatantly obscene gesture to a picture of my daughter, I would be very tempted to pummel him at least.

Same here, but I would never think of killing him

5051DMOR - Terry Lee Rogers
Original

Name: Terry Lee Rogers
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 27, 1973
Location Last Seen: Bend, Deschutes County, Oregon

5051DMOR - Terry Lee Rogers
Original

Name: Terry Lee Rogers
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 27, 1973
Location Last Seen: Bend, Deschutes County, Oregon

Quite a few things match. The one that gives me pause is height: 5'6" versus roughly six feet is a pretty big difference.

But if we assume he decided to leave the area for some reason, and spent the next few years working around the region, losing his eye at some point, he fits the circumstances pretty well. And facially he looks very similar.

My only thought is that he must not have been in contact with family or friends for a while if he'd only recently lost the eye because even today, someone with an eyepatch stands out. I worked with people with disabilities (physical and mental) for five years and could count the number of people wearing an eyepatch I saw on one hand. Ditto anyone with eye-related injuries that blatant or false eyes. If a family member or friend reported him missing or hired a private investigator, I feel like the first thing that would have come up would be a feature as distinctive as that unless they honestly didn't know their loved one had lost the eye in the last X amount of years since they saw him.

Honestly, I hope he’s burning up wherever he is, but I wish the person who killed him was still alive - if he saw that photo of Terry, he would be able to say whether it was him or not. Yet maybe he wouldn’t because he showed no remorse..

Just noting too, how easy it was to obtain a fake ID back in those days.

Any feedback from Doe Network on whether this was proceeding to comparison?
No, I have not received any response. I was told in the initial email that I would only receive a response if there was an identification. I wish they would let me know if it was voted to be submitted for comparison. I may contact an investigating agency directly about it, you've reminded me to finally send an email that's been sitting in my drafts XD

It's very possible this exact scenario unfolded for the Tok J.D.--grating the nerves of good samaritans with an "obnoxious personality" resulting in his being dumped off unceremoniously by the side of the road. If so, he then had the terrible misfortune of accepting a ride from a psychopath. The impression that I gleaned from reading posts earlier in this thread relating to the murderer--Jesse Burt Bishop--was that the murderer had: one, murdered others prior to encountering Tok J.D.; and two, was essentially looking for a reason to murder, and that harsh country in Eastern Alaska, Yukon Territory, and British Columbia provided a perfect setting with few to no witnesses where he could do his thing. I base my first impression on the manner in which the victim was murdered: stabbed and then strangled right after they exit the vehicle just inside the Alaska line. That almost seems like "overkill." I'm curious as to the murderer's definition of "obnoxious personality"--was it simply the Tok J.D. being a chatterbox, telling off-color jokes, etc.? Seems as if the murderer was simply looking to get murder on, and Tok J.D. thumbing a ride from the wrong set of wheels sealed that horrific deal.

Despite excellent efforts via reconstruction, etc., this 'un will be tough to crack simply because of that missing mandible. The scavengers certainly aided the murderer in concealing this murder.

- D

I guess what baffles me is Bishop thought he was tolerable enough to drive him the ~2380 miles from Boise to Tok, but then suddenly decided he was too annoying to live after almost 2500 miles together. What's up with that?

I've always wondered whether it was sexual, either a consensual encounter that went south, so to speak, or one or the other objecting to an advance from the other one. It's a situation that often produces that kind of violence.

Good thinking!

Came across this article and immediately thought of this JD. Although it's just an anecdote, i thought it was a good way to bump this thread... MOO JMOO

"Years ago, I lost my left eye in a logging accident in Alaska. They fitted me up with a glass eye in Seattle and I came back to the homestead in Montana to recuperate. My three little nieces were sitting on my lap and curiosity overcame the littlest one. "Uncle Don," she said, "is your left eye really glass?" Whereupon the oldest, a very worldly 8 years, said, "Of course it's glass. If it wasn't, how could he see through it?"

Clipping from Fort Lauderdale News - Newspapers.com

This also made me wonder if the victim read the anecdote and used it as his own? Maybe he didn't want to be found and telling the real reason on how he lost his eye would make him easier to "identify" in case there was a BOLO out on him?! MOO JMO

I really do wish we knew more details about the circumstances behind the murder. I feel like it would help piece things together.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back