Alexei Navalny - Found dead in Russian prison

BBC had a couple different Russians, Putin associated Russians, one being quoted, one being interviewed (with an extremely thick accent making it hard to distinguish every word) saying the "junta" leaders in Ukraine were responsible and NATO was responsible for Navalny's death.

I'm still trying to find the logic behind those thoughts. Anybody?
Classic Putin disinformation operation after an assassination.

“we know they are lying.
they know they are lying.
they know that we know they are lying.
we know that they know that we know they are lying,
and still they continue to lie.”- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

IIRc there was outrage after each state murder of a political opponent, but Putin got away with it, and world leaders shook his hand again. This encouraged him to continue with his flagrant assassinations.

So very sad to hear this news today.

Sincere condolences to the family of Alexei Navalny, all those who loved him, and all of his followers who believed in him.

He gave hope to the Russian people. May his life be an example, an inspiration to others, to have the courage to pick up the torch in his honour and carry on his dream.

Rest in Peace, Alexei Navalny

1708109399229.png

So very sad to hear this news today.

Sincere condolences to the family of Alexei Navalny, all those who loved him, and all of his followers who believed in him.

He gave hope to the Russian people. May his life be an example, an inspiration to others, to have the courage to pick up the torch in his honour and carry on his dream.

Rest in Peace, Alexei Navalny

View attachment 483707
Sickened and shocked, his spirit was invincible, may it continue in the faces of the cowards forever.

IMO Tucker Carlson should be ashamed of his softball Putin interview during which he never even mentioned Navalny.

Here’s his excuse for not pushing Putin on Navalny and assassinations as well as his shocking assertion that “every leader kills people” when questioned by an Egyptian journalist:

“You should challenge in the roles of an interview, and you’re a master in your business,” Mr Adeeb said. “It’s not for me to give you a lecture about that, but you should challenge some ideas. For instance, you didn’t talk about freedom of speech in Russia, you did not talk about [Alexei] Navalny, about assassinations, about restrictions on opposition in the coming elections.”

“I didn’t talk about the things that every other American media outlet talks about,” Mr Carlson said.

Asked why, he said: “Because those are covered and because I have spent my life talking to people who run countries in various countries and have concluded the following: that every leader kills people, including my leader. Every leader kills people, some kill more than others. Leadership requires killing people, sorry, that’s why I wouldn’t want to be a leader.

BBM/UBM

More of the same:

Carlson finally speaks out after Navalny is killed, but doesn’t call out Putin (despite the DM headline):

In an exclusive statement to DailyMail.com, Carlson said: 'It's horrifying what happened to Navalny. The whole thing is barbaric and awful. No decent person would defend it.'

But you did defend it, you HYPOCRITE!! JMO

I used to consider Navalny’s views inconsistent. However, his anti-corruption movies were captivating. His decision to return to Russia in 2021 after poisoning and hospitalization in Berlin (in 2020) was the act of highest courage. To me, his death in the Arctic prison, brings back the saddest Russian past. RIP.

Looks like public grieving in Russia will get you up to 15 days in jail.

"Russian courts on Saturday started issuing short-term jail sentences of up to 15 days for those detained at the [Navalny] commemorations, rights groups reported."

IMO Tucker Carlson should be ashamed of his softball Putin interview during which he never even mentioned Navalny.

Here’s his excuse for not pushing Putin on Navalny and assassinations as well as his shocking assertion that “every leader kills people” when questioned by an Egyptian journalist:

“You should challenge in the roles of an interview, and you’re a master in your business,” Mr Adeeb said. “It’s not for me to give you a lecture about that, but you should challenge some ideas. For instance, you didn’t talk about freedom of speech in Russia, you did not talk about [Alexei] Navalny, about assassinations, about restrictions on opposition in the coming elections.”

“I didn’t talk about the things that every other American media outlet talks about,” Mr Carlson said.

Asked why, he said: “Because those are covered and because I have spent my life talking to people who run countries in various countries and have concluded the following: that every leader kills people, including my leader. Every leader kills people, some kill more than others. Leadership requires killing people, sorry, that’s why I wouldn’t want to be a leader.

BBM/UBM

More of the same:

Carlson finally speaks out after Navalny is killed, but doesn’t call out Putin (despite the DM headline):

In an exclusive statement to DailyMail.com, Carlson said: 'It's horrifying what happened to Navalny. The whole thing is barbaric and awful. No decent person would defend it.'

But you did defend it, you HYPOCRITE!! JMO
Carlson is such a a coward jmoo

I saw it about a year ago and I was bowled over.
His courage, his humor, his faithful family, his charisma, his intelligence…breathtaking.

The way he was able to improvise on that phone call to one of the poisoners..amazing.

His anti-corruption team, the Bellingcat guy, he and Yulia with the donkeys…just the way he forced himself to get well after his near death on the plane..all of it incredibly triumphant.

But I watched it again last night as it aired on CNN and it hit so differently now.

Putin won. Alexei is dead. I cried throughout the entire film.
Oh I’m so glad there is a Navalny thread! I didn’t see it yesterday so I’m quoting myself from the Russia/Ukraine thread.

This is in reference to the “Navalny” documentary.

Now I’ll go catch up here.

R.I.P. Alexei. Prayers for your family.

Last edited:
We have no idea. I doubt Navalny would have done that. Part of Putin's plan is embedding in other motivations. Invading Ukraine was a stragic mistake that I doubt Navalny would have made. But my point is that many people are very misguided about Navalny. He would have been a better more fair leader for sure. But we has not pro-West despite Putin's attempts to label him that way and despite Navalny's encouragement of that perception. It is horrific that he is dead and there can be little doubt that he was likely murdered by pro-Putin forces. He was a threat to Putin for sure. He very well may have been a bit more easy to negotiate with if he were the Russian leader, perhaps more predictable, but he would not have been our friend.

Now, this part is complex. I have my own intuitive guess about Navalny that I have no way of proving or disproving. (He emerged out of nowhere, and this is puzzling.) At first, he was a "nationalistic Russian", and when he was running for the mayor of Moscow, his program was targeting the "migrants" (people from Central Asian republics, where economic situation was worse than in Russia, coming for jobs, mostly low-paid ones). In general, I think the migrant factor is the reflection of economy and anti-migrant stance is highly unreasonable. So what he used to say in the past was neither smart nor economically validated. But - Nil nisi bonum, and his death must have been horrible.

IMO—-
Navalny was a complex man who evolved over time, as most of us do.

I can NEVER countenance him marching in the company of people waving Nazi flags.

But in his latter years, many of his associates were Jewish, and Daniel Roher who created the documentary is also Jewish. Therefore I believe that they would not be so firmly on his team had Navalny espoused Nazi views.

As I see it, Putin’s pattern of eliminating all who act against him is the same as the absolutist czars who preceded him.

Now Putin is attempting to eliminate not just personal enemies, but to knock out of space any electronic or communication systems which currently allow people to work against him.

Navalny was the strongest voice out there trying to overthrow Putin. Therefore I valued him immensely.

I don’t know that there is any other opposition leader who has the guts and the charisma to lead Russians against Putin the way he did.

Sure, I wish he hadn’t returned to Russia and I wish he hadn’t left his family to suffer without him. But his family supported him—they knew this was him.

I never knew him, but I will miss him.

JMO

IMO—-
Navalny was a complex man who evolved over time, as most of us do.

I can NEVER countenance him marching in the company of people waving Nazi flags.

But in his latter years, many of his associates were Jewish, and Daniel Roher who created the documentary is also Jewish. Therefore I believe that they would not be so firmly on his team had Navalny espoused Nazi views.

As I see it, Putin’s pattern of eliminating all who act against him is the same as the absolutist czars who preceded him.

Now Putin is attempting to eliminate not just personal enemies, but to knock out of space any electronic or communication systems which currently allow people to work against him.

Navalny was the strongest voice out there trying to overthrow Putin. Therefore I valued him immensely.

I don’t know that there is any other opposition leader who has the guts and the charisma to lead Russians against Putin the way he did.

Sure, I wish he hadn’t returned to Russia and I wish he hadn’t left his family to suffer without him. But his family supported him—they knew this was him.

I never knew him, but I will miss him.

JMO

I have finished reading the article of 2021, published in “Radio Svoboda” and named “who lured Navalny to Russia?” I can honestly say that I am confused to the extreme. All I can glean from the interviews of the people who worked with Navalny is that he was quite a practical man. So he could not misunderstand the risk. So what made him return?

So what made him return?
Possibly the very slim chance that he could bring some change about? He must have had great courage to try.

Maybe also wanting to continue to the end - whatever that might entail - as for example Resistance fighters did in WW2.

Possibly loyalty to his own people and country to such an extreme that he was willing to die for it? Soldiers do that after all but except in cases of civil war, soldiers are fighting for the leader not against.

There may have been quite different reasons.
All JMO.

Possibly the very slim chance that he could bring some change about? He must have had great courage to try.

Maybe also wanting to continue to the end - whatever that might entail - as for example Resistance fighters did in WW2.

Possibly loyalty to his own people and country to such an extreme that he was willing to die for it? Soldiers do that after all but except in cases of civil war, soldiers are fighting for the leader not against.

All JMO.

I don't know. There are some brave political leaders that have stayed and are behind bars now. But, they know what they face. Or do they? (Thinking out loud, mostly).

X has suspended the account of Alexei's Navalny's widow.

It is unclear why the social network, formally Twitter, has suspended Yulia Navalnaya's account.

Last night, Ms Navalnaya accused Vladimir Putin of killing her husband and said evidence would be provided shortly.

All JMO.
Agree.

I think the strong nationalist component in him prevailed.

Strategically probably would have been better off staying abroad and continuing to influence the thoughts of Russians and speak against the regime from the outside. At least I think he would have had a better chance of leading to long term changes that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back