April 15th wknd of Sleuthing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the shoes they seized from Brad were examined and then they (or maybe the geologist) selected the Nike shoes for testing because they saw the white mica clumps embedded.

I've been a trial watcher for 10 plus years now....and I can tell you one thing.....

It's NOT a good thing for a jury to send out notes asking "how much longer?".
It's a clear sign of impatience,IMO. And to do it BEFORE defense begins their presentation?
Sometimes 2 plus 2 DOES equal 4.

It could also mean the jury has spent weeks listening to a bunch of disjointed testimony filled with non-evidence that led up to a smoking gun that left an impression more like "That's it, this is the smoking gun? After all that, a questionable Google search is the BEST piece of evidence?"

I agree that the Prosecutions case has been too long, but they were going point by point. Remember also that Kurtz takes a long time to question witnesses himself.

This jury has needed springs on it's rear end with all of the bouncing up and down for matters to be discussed outside the hearing of the jury. I do feel sorry for them in that regard.

I am convinced that Brad Cooper murdered Nancy. I am a little tired of some thinking that people who feel Brad is guilty are willing to convict without a fair trial. We are not on a jury here, and do not have to behave as if we are.

I am looking forward to seeing just what Kurtz presents in the defense case. I don't think it is about Brad Cooper anymore. It is about winning at all costs, IMO. This is how I have come to see it.

I wonder if there will be court today.

JMO

I believe Kurtz believes Brad is innocent. I believed it until the google maps search.

I think there is absolutely NO chance that he picked the body dump site using that google search. There simply wasn't enough time (41 seconds) to do it. And they didn't show him ever going back to it. I think that if the google search is valid (ie, it happened on the 11th at that time), and there is nothing as of now to show it wasn't, then he did it to try and remember the name of the street or location because he had been there before either jogging or biking. That's the only explanation that seems logical to me.

Open Google maps (satellite)
Type in 27518
Look for an easily accessible, secluded area within 3 miles
The construction area off Holly Springs road is obvious
Pan over and zoom
Perfect

I think the state was in a damned if they did and damned if they didn't situation. If they just showed the evidence they did have, then the defense would be saying "See! they didn't bother testing anything! They railroaded our client. All these things they could have looked at and tested, and they didn't!"

Defense also said the investigation was flawed and cops were inept etc. State had to show all the things they did look at and test even though there was no physical evidence on those items. It would have been great if they could have just displayed a list of items they tested and not had to go through each one, but that's not the way rules of evidence work. It is tedious beyond belief.

HI, and glad you and family are ok after the storm. :)

Do you think it's possible Brad checked out the Fielding site after a google search<before returning to work Friday after the lunch meeting>? The mica evidence on the shoes LE DID recover <to me> puts him at the body location site at some point.

It makes sense that Brad did the google search, THEN went to visually inspect where he planned to dump Nancy.

MOO and stuff.

No I don't. They went to lunch as a group and returned as a group. Plus, it's a 30-45 minute drive from work to the site. Also, my understanding is the chemical makeup of the mica found on the shoes doesn't match the mica found at the site. Also, he wasn't wearing those shoes on Friday. The Lowes video clearly shows him wearing sandles on Friday and not running shoes.

But didn't the Lowes video show he was wearing sandals Friday morning?
I still wonder why they chose those Nike shoes to test for mica?

Maybe they tested the sandals and there wasn't any mica on them, so they tested other shoes. After the 41 second search of Fielding Dr. was presented, I figured the State would tie it all together (and suggest premeditation) by saying that BC had found the site at an earlier date in the Nikes and then did the quick google search on July 11 to refresh his memory. JMO

I believe the tying it all together will come in the closing statements. They can't give their opinions on what it all means until then.

Maybe they tested the sandals and there wasn't any mica on them, so they tested other shoes. After the 41 second search of Fielding Dr. was presented, I figured the State would tie it all together (and suggest premeditation) by saying that BC had found the site at an earlier date in the Nikes and then did the quick google search on July 11 to refresh his memory. JMO

I know there was another pair of shoes they really wanted to test.
Guess what...they went poof.

Capture-2.jpg

No I don't. They went to lunch as a group and returned as a group. Plus, it's a 30-45 minute drive from work to the site. Also, my understanding is the chemical makeup of the mica found on the shoes doesn't match the mica found at the site. Also, he wasn't wearing those shoes on Friday. The Lowes video clearly shows him wearing sandles on Friday and not running shoes.

What bothers me is that they didn't check the MICA at the site and against the shoes until 2010.

Based on testimony, this definitely was not an overlay from a weather site.
He panned over to the Fielding Drive area and then zoomed in.
Not sure how you explain that? Good luck Kurtz.

I have not seen enough detail in any of the reports describing the testimony to ascertain just how it was done, whether direct keyboard entry or through the Google api. Do you have a link to such coverage you can share?

Even when using an overlay from a weather site, one can still pan and zoom. See the WunderMap at wunderground.com. BTW that site also has archives of the weather radar.

I believe CC testified during cross to there being a search for 27518 at a weather site. That would support such a possibility.

BTW I have no connection to anyone involved with this case. Except as a juror, I have not done any criminal cases. Mostly overturn software patents using "prior art"; I said I am an old geek.

This is reasonable. I'm trying to remember if they had the signs up on Fielding telling that it was under development. I kind of recall they did. As a cyclist, I knew it was a dead end street. So, we always went Cary Parkway or Lilly Atkins to Holly Springs from Lochmere, then to Penny or Ten Ten. Sometimes North on Holly Springs to Campbell that links to Tryon. I don't think he'd run there b/c running on Holly Springs would be asking for a busted ankle. But surely he biked by it countless times.

I would think like other obsessives he had done an aerial photo recon multiple times in the past to scout routes to ride. It strikes me he checked out Fielding again just to confirm mentally how it was laid out.

BBM above.

Yes there was a big Toll Brothers sign in the island on Fielding at the intersection of Holly Springs Rd. You can see it now with google street view.

If I do this correctly you should be able to see it.

Fielding Dr and Holly Springs Rd.

Madeleine,

You are correct in your definition of opportunity. However, it has not yet been established conclusively by evidence that the crime occurred before 7 AM......That is the rub ....

The medical forensics and the forensic bug guy posit that death occurred between 1 AM and 11 AM on the day in question. SO BC had the opportunity before 7 AM, and zilch opportunity after 7 AM.

The 6:40 phone call is a "reasonable doubt" hurtle that the Pros have not yet overcome by direct evidence. IE they have not yet proved the call was spoofed. It could have, may have, might have, is not good enough, IMHO

Also the Pros has to explain a crime of murder, without a crime scene, and without proof of a body being transported in one of the two vehicles available to BC. If he did it, he should get a gold medal for cleaning up crime scenes. He could be a real resource to other dirtbags in the big house.

In any event those are two big hurtles that the jury either has to ignore, or give more credence to other elements like the google search.

Make no mistake about it, so far this case is not a slam dunk for the state.

BC has either gotten very lucky (with stuff that tends to mitigate his guilt), or very unlucky (cause if he's innocent he sure painted himself into a corner with the custody deposition and his own stupid statements/actions).

Just IMHO

BBM......fwiw, this is where the def caused confusion.{as most likely was his intent!}

ORIGINALLY the bug expert said NC COULD have been deceased as EARLY as 11 a.m. on 6/11. But since she was seen AFTER that time, it is incorrect.

The LARGEST of larvae indicate NC could have been deceased anywhere from 1 a.m. 6/12 to 6 a.m. 6/12. Then there were subsequent layed SMALLER larvae.

Kurtz threw that 11 a.m. in HOPING to confuse the jury as it did some people here. I HOPE the pros makes it VERY CLEAR! The 11 a.m. was NOT on 6/12, but 6/11.

JMHO
fran

BBM......fwiw, this is where the def caused confusion.{as most likely was his intent!}

ORIGINALLY the bug expert said NC COULD have been deceased as EARLY as 11 a.m. on 6/11. But since she was seen AFTER that time, it is incorrect.

The LARGEST of larvae indicate NC could have been deceased anywhere from 1 a.m. 6/12 to 6 a.m. 6/12. Then there were subsequent layed SMALLER larvae.

Kurtz threw that 11 a.m. in HOPING to confuse the jury as it did some people here. I HOPE the pros makes it VERY CLEAR! The 11 a.m. was NOT on 6/12, but 6/11.

JMHO
fran

No, the TOD window definitely went to as late as 11AM on the 12th. Otherwise this would be a 2nd "smoking gun".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member