AR - Debra Stevens dies in flash flood, rude 911 operator Donna Reneau, Fort Smith, 29 Aug 2019

dixiegirl1035

I will do it, but I won't like it
Reaction score
A woman was delivering papers in Fort Smith Arkansas. She called nine-one-one for help, and the over 25 minute 911 call is just unbelievable as to the rudeness of the operator, Donna Reneau, while this woman was dying. I just cannot believe the insensitivity of Donna Reneau at 911.

In the past couple of hours they have deleted the last few minutes of the audio of the entire phone call. I have not taken the time to research it because it is too upsetting.

WARNING very graphic and I follow a lot of cases, but this has me wanting to throw my phone up against the wall and to call and complain.

But alas and alack, the department has said that this phone call was done on Donna Reneau's last day ( within the article it said that she had put in her resignation and this was her last day) and her last shift at the 911 center, and they cannot do anything as far as to investigation.

I call bull*hit and I need to calm down before I post anymore. I actually took the time to listen to the entire call, but only listen to the audio if you really really really can take it because it is so very upsetting.

Horrifying 911 Audio, Body Cam Footage Released After Fort Smith Woman Drowns During Flash Flooding

There were about 10 shocking comments that were degrading to the person who died, and this was just one that they put in the article.

"The 911 dispatcher, Donna Reneau, can be heard telling Stevens "this will teach you next time don't drive in the water.."

"Graphic Warning: This story and the accompanying audio and video are graphic in nature, and the content may be disturbing. Though it was a difficult decision, we have decided to broadcast and post the 911 call for help after concerns were raised as to how dispatchers and first responders handled the situation. FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) "

ETA- this situation with 911 upsets me as much as the one of Kyle Plush here on threads. <modsnip> Can't say what I really think right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand them saying they can't investigate her because she quit. No they can't fire her they could still find a way to discipline her in some way. Her statements to the 911 caller was more than rude. The LE just letting it go is horrible way to show dispatchers the way things should be done. A very poor example! jmo imo moo

I don't understand them saying they can't investigate her because she quit. No they can't fire her they could still find a way to discipline her in some way. Her statements to the 911 caller was more than rude. The LE just letting it go is horrible way to show dispatchers the way things should be done. A very poor example! jmo imo moo

I can't listen to it again right now because I'm too upset, but I hope somebody does listen and document it here each and every one of the things that woman said to her.

All the terrible terrible terrible things that she said to that woman. FTLOG

<modsnip>

She was done with her 911 job oh, it was her last day. Was it voluntary, or was it due to lack of performance, and it was one of those governmental situations of you resign, or you're fired.

<modsnip>

Moo on all comments

Last edited by a moderator:
5NEWS is Facebook page which has a tremendous number of comments ( over 1,000 and they just posted it recently. People are very outspoken, and I hope this publicity continues for this case within the community and on this website)

Mainstream media post with comments

ETA, I did notice in the Facebook video above that he said that she submitted her two-week resignation, and her last night was right after this event.

I have a feeling that she submitted her two-week resignation, and then they let her go immediately. I don't think the reports are right within mainstream media that she submitted her resignation 2 weeks ago. I think she did it right that night and they accepted it immediately. We will see.

As usual, it's how you perceive how they word stuff. But if you listen to it, he specifically says that she submitted it and her last day, but he never said it was done two weeks ago.

ETA it does say within the law enforcement link for the Facebook video that she submitted her resignation on August 9th that was effective August 23rd so I retract above

Last edited:
I can’t even find the words to convey my thoughts and feelings. The terror that poor woman felt in the last 30 minutes of her life is palpable. So tragic. And it shouldn’t have happened. I hope that dispatcher made a career change...for the sake of public safety if for no other reason. JMO

Reneau, who had submitted her two weeks’ resignation notice earlier that month, was on her final shift as a dispatcher for the Police Department, interim Police Chief Baker said. Reneau had been on the job five years and was a dispatch trainer. Baker said disciplinary action would have been taken against Reneau if she still worked at the Police Department but he didn’t observe anything in the phone call that would have warranted termination or a criminal investigation.

The internal investigation will observe if any policies can be changed between patrol officers and dispatch to prevent such an outcome. Baker said he can “completely understand” public concern over how Reneau handled the situation. He also speculated Reneau may have underestimated the importance of the call and not urged officers at other calls to respond as much as she could have, which may have led to Stevens’ demise.

snip

Reneau moments later told Stevens, who was still frantic, that she needed to “shut up” and listen to her.

“We field rudeness complaints regularly from our officers and our dispatchers, and I certainly don’t tolerate it. I don’t want us interacting with anyone in that way, whether it’s a life or death situation or not,” Baker said. “That’s certainly something we have to look at and examine.”

Police investigate department after "callous and uncaring"-sounding 911 call from drowning

And the video of the head saying that ( not verbatim)

"I apologize for how it appears, and the last thing I would want the family to see and or hear on the internet."

NO SIR, the family would have effing wanted to know that the last moments of their family member living was having compassion, prayers as they knew that they were dying ( and the dispatcher, Donna Reneau) actually dissed her on praying with her, her request). Vs. that awful end-of-life experience she had with an awful person for her last 30 minutes of her life.

that is the worst of it all Moo that a person who is dying was treated like crap. And the person continually had to kowtow to this person to help her and apologize again and again and again. Just to get her attention and to have compassion for her, but she never received.

I still remember 9/11, That their family member was folded into angel wings with an operator as they were about to pass away, praying with them , and like 9/11 "let's roll".. to have a little bit of compassion.

Last edited:
I’m quite upset after listening to that. I really wish I wouldn’t have.

I can’t help but wonder how much Donna the dispatcher’s attitude cost Debra precious time when every second counted. There’s rudeness and there’s inefficiency, and somewhere these lines could cross here, imo.

Bless Debra's heart. Even when the dispatcher was being a rude b***** Debra said thank you, asked her name, etc...

That was really hard to listen to. It’s obvious to me this dispatcher could have cared less. I’m not sure she gave it her all to help save this woman’s life. We will never know about the “what if’s”....

This poor woman died with fear and no comfort whatsoever.

It’s one thing when you know everything was carried to out to the best of everyone’s abilities, that they at least tried their hardest...I can’t say I/we know for sure that’s the case here with the dispatcher. Moo.

Heartless woman.

Last edited:
This happened in my hometown where most of my relatives still live. I have read plenty about it today on facebook since the 911 tape was released. The final two minutes that were cut are listed in transcripts as basically Debra screaming she can't breath and the water in now coming in all around her. The 911 operator yelling back at her that she can breath because she is screaming. Then Debra's voice sounding like she is talking under water. The 911 operater says something to the effect of, "Oh my god, did they get to her, she is now underwater". Then the call is cut off. In the 24 minute 911 call so much time is wasted that could of been put to valuable use in finding Debra, correctly assessing the situation, and giving her lifesaving instructions in case help could not arrive in time. The 911 operator should of calmed and redirected Debra to focus on the information needed. Instead she chose to ridicule her and even lead her further into irrelevant conversation. Of course Debra was hysterical, she was fearing for her life and her life was in imminent danger. The 911 operator, who actually was awarded dispatcher of the year earlier this year, had around 5 years experience on the job. She knows how to calm and redirect people to get vital information needed. But it was her last night of the job and according to a text screen shot shared on local facebook pages from who I assume was a coworker, she just did not care. Her shift was almost over and it was her last night. Also another person wrote into the news station that they too were submerged in water and had called for help, spoke to the same 911 dispatcher and met with much attitude. However, another person who called in about 30 minutes before Debra and was also trapped in their vehicle and submerged in water said Donna Reneau, the same 911 dispatcher, was very professional with her. You can go to Garrett Lewis meteorologist facebook channel to read through the lengthy comments and find the two other persons comments whose vehicles were submerged in water and spoke with the 911 dispatcher Donna Reneau and to see what they had to say. The Ft Smith PD and FD were busy helping many people submerged in water as well as putting up barricades. Surrounding cities were also assisting the Ft Smith PD and FD. The area is prone to flash floods during heavy rains. They are in the river valley and in the past 10 years have had two 100 year floods and one 500 year flood. The 500 year flood happening earlier this year. Other areas nearby are prone to flooding drastically. It was just 9 years ago we had 20 campers drown at Albert Pike State Park during torential rainfall that dumped vast 6 - 8 inches of rain in a few hours. I remember that night. I was just an hour away and the storm was crazy. I never seen it rain that hard.

Last edited:
I can’t listen, but from the description I suspect Donna Reneau has a lawsuit in her future. At the very least, constant nightmares. Poor Debra. Even if she couldn’t have been saved, compassion could have eased her final moments. I’m so sorry for her family. :(

My God! What a rude, inconsiderate dispatcher. I feel so bad for Debbie; it makes me sick that she was dying, ( and she KNEW it), and was being treated so horribly. Knowing she was going to die was suffering enough for her and the dispatcher just kept adding insult to injury. She wouldn't even pray with her. If I had been the dispatcher, I believe I would have focused on her only. They have other operators there to take other calls. This was so uncalled for. Her family must have been heartbroken when they first heard the tape. I cried my eyes out for a long time. I'm in disbelief. How could anyone do this to another human being? No respect for human life. Dispatcher of the year?! For WHAT?! Rudest, most unsympathetic operator? Karma is a .....! May Debbie rest in peace. And to her family-I am SO very sorry for your loss. What a tragedy.

I don’t say this lightly, but I think that because of the rising waters Debbie would’ve died anyway. It’s very sad, and worse that she knew it was happening. Even once rescue was on the scene, it wasn’t easy to actually rescue her b/c it was almost an hour between arrival and then finally getting to her car. I do think the 911 operator was extremely rude and didn’t do much to try and keep Debbie as calm as possible. I wonder why she was leaving (new job or something else?) I’m almost positive there will be a lawsuit, although like I said, I don’t think she could’ve been rescued in time anyway. I don’t think the police, fire, or whatever other emergency services were to blame.
Attached is the time chart released by the police:

Attachments

• 74DE58F7-3AE6-4B42-A496-278F5FA485B1.jpeg
    74DE58F7-3AE6-4B42-A496-278F5FA485B1.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 64
I’m quite upset after listening to that. I really wish I wouldn’t have.

I can’t help but wonder how much Donna the dispatcher’s attitude cost Debra precious time when every second counted. There’s rudeness and there’s inefficiency, and somewhere these lines could cross here, imo.

Bless Debra's heart. Even when the dispatcher was being a rude b***** Debra said thank you, asked her name, etc...

That was really hard to listen to. It’s obvious to me this dispatcher could have cared less. I’m not sure she gave it her all to help save this woman’s life. We will never know about the “what if’s”....

This poor woman died with fear and no comfort whatsoever.

It’s one thing when you know everything was carried to out to the best of everyone’s abilities, that they at least tried their hardest...I can’t say I/we know for sure that’s the case here with the dispatcher. Moo.

Heartless woman.

This. Excellent post, Margarita.

I saw a news story about this case today on another site. Wow. Wowowow.

Like everyone else here, I’ve read and heard some unsettling stuff. But listening to that 911 call legitimately made me feel sick to my stomach and so anxious. That poor woman was terrified for her life, and that 911 operator was scum. I actually think scum is a compliment for that lady.

I don’t care if she gave her 2 weeks notice - why not just quit on the spot instead of half assing your job and treating callers like garbage??? To think she got paid for the time she was on this call!!! If I was a local taxpayer I’d be furious knowing if I had an emergency and have to call 911, I could be unfortunate enough to get someone like this dirt bag. The local LE person (I can’t remember off the top of my head what his title is) who spoke about it in the media pretty much defended 911 operator lady saying she was rude, but someone wouldn’t be fired for talking to a caller like that. WOW. I hope locals make a big stink about that.

In the last 24 minutes of her life, Debbie was belittled, criticized, and told to shut up by a 911 operator. Yet she was still polite, apologized repeatedly (even though she had no reason to), and was shut down by the 911 operator when she asked the 911 chick to pray with her. I don’t think going to get that 911 call out of my head for a while.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back