AR - Debra Stevens dies in flash flood, rude 911 operator Donna Reneau, Fort Smith, 29 Aug 2019

"Reneau: "This will teach you next time don't drive in the water."

Stevens: "Couldn't see it ma'am. I'm sorry or I wouldn't have."

Reneau: "I don't see how you didn't see it. You had to go right over it, so.""

Really?????!!!!!!!! The dispatcher did not prioritize the call until it was too late!

I am not sure they would have been able to save her. It seems like the people in the field were doing what they could. I understand their devastation as well as the devastation of the people watching from their balconies.

The dispatcher is another story for me. I have held the hands of people I love as they are dying--- they are panicked and afraid. I have been at accidents where the victims are dead and some are dying as they waited for help. It is not so hard to be compassionate and kind. Overwhelmed? Yes. But, as it became clear (when the water was at Ms. Steven's waist) that time was running out, this dispatcher could have (should have) been there as a comfort to her rather than a berating her about her decision-making. It is sickening.

The chief of police and mayor answering inadequately. They should have just simply said that Ms. Stevens deserved better and out dispatcher failed miserably. Yes, they are hedging because of lawsuit and liability. This case is one where they should just take the responsibility and accept that they will pay out. Each time they speak out it is a further affront to the Steven's family and the people of their town who place their trust in their elected officials and law enforcement.

This is breaking my heart. I am blaming EVERYONE in that department. There needs to be a federal investigation and a congressional investigation. Rude behavior does not just up and occur. And to think you don't get fired for being a rude lifesaver is disgusting, you get written up. 911 protocol should require loss of job, pension and all benefits not only in a disgusting 911 call responder but also for coworkers who do not immediately report HARASSMENT of 911 callers the second it occurs. I worked on a nursing floor and the minute something happened in my presence or I heard about it, I went directly to that person and also reported it. I have had many different jobs, one as an EMT. I have put people in jail by reporting disgusting behavior, but it has to be done. We are required as human beings to be honorable and DO THE RIGHT THING. I cannot believe that she was allowed to answer 911 calls ever with that attitude and that mouth. IMO. My heart is broken for this sweet woman who drowned ALONE. She could have drowned saying goodbye to a loved one but she reached out and when you are that person, you need to pray with them, give them hope, talk something very special to them.

I also wondered how long she had that specific route. Unless it was recent, she should have been able to say something like "I'm near the intersection of Route A and Route B," to help locate her. I know others were stranded also, and that would slow things down, but unless the others were all in similar high-risk situations, they should have immediately made more effort to locate Debra. Ask her about near-by houses, the neighborhood, any other noteworthy markers that could help locate her. At one point she says she sees people. Was she hallucinating? What appalls me even more than the callousness, is the lack of trying to elicit useful information. MOO
When Debra said that people were out and looking at her, the dispatcher said that they had received calls from people regarding her situation. Why didn't they ask the bystanders for more specific info instead of a panicked person who rightly thought she was going to die. So much went wrong with the dispatch.

Debra's drowning should not be in vain. There should be a new law, Debra's Law. Rude incompetence and harassment of 911 callers should be mandated reporting and should be automatic suspension of 911 operators while outside investigation occurs. There are tapes so investigations should be very swift. If tapes support allegations, these operators should never be allowed to answer 911 calls anywhere in the country. Any amount of money in a lawsuit will not come close to covering the damage that occurred here for her and her loved ones.

OMG.I really wish that I hadn't listened to that call.Does that woman have a mother,sister,husband that she loves?How would she feel if the last words one of them heard was just mocking them for being in the situation and acting like they didn't care at all?

I can’t listen. Reading her words is bad enough. I hope this woman does some serious soul-searching and asks herself WHY she thought it was OK to be so heartless and horrible to a frightened caller. Even if the dispatcher mistakenly thought it wasn’t that serious, she should have had the humanity to reassure Debra and comfort her, rather than berate her. Where did she lose her empathy? Did no one she worked with notice this happening at other times? Is this a one-off? It’s unbelievable. I don’t know how she can live with herself.

I can’t listen. Reading her words is bad enough. I hope this woman does some serious soul-searching and asks herself WHY she thought it was OK to be so heartless and horrible to a frightened caller. Even if the dispatcher mistakenly thought it wasn’t that serious, she should have had the humanity to reassure Debra and comfort her, rather than berate her. Where did she lose her empathy? Did no one she worked with notice this happening at other times? Is this a one-off? It’s unbelievable. I don’t know how she can live with herself.
I think she just didn't care because she had turned in her resignation and was working her final shift. But, that is pathetic! For a few years I worked at a call center--where people's lives were not immediately in danger--and we were often placed on leave at the end of our busy season. We usually didn't know the day we would be placed on leave, or which employees would be placed on leave. Sometimes we would be told that day that it was our last for the season and be given the option of leaving immediately or working through the remainder of our shift. I always completed my shift, with the same courtesy and regard for callers as any other day. I just cannot comprehend being rude to a caller whose life is on the line simply because you're working your last shift and know you can't be fired or disciplined. Donna is just as susceptible as any other citizen to finding herself in a precarious situation. I'm sure she would want to be treated with compassion and respect.

I really hope Debra's family sues Donna and the PD over Donna's conduct. Maybe it will pressure the PD into changing their protocol, requiring dispatchers to respond to all 911 calls with civility.

I find this sad.
A public servant on a power trip scolding a vulnerable woman in need like she's a 6 year old.
What's also sad, is that situations like this, as always, becomes an internal investigation, where the police dept investigates themselves, and as in most cases, either plays it down, or exonerates the responsible person all together.
What's also sad, is the statement that more training is the answer. That's a canned response that's used to avoid responsibility for inexcusable actions. How much training does a 911 operator need? They could put the entire procedure on a single sheet of paper.
911 has been around since 1957 in the US. That's over 50 years. After 50 years, people are still not trained properly?
Dixiegirl made a great point. Sept 11th 911 dispatchers did it right. I am sure many dispatchers knew those people would never make it out alive, but rather than scold people in need, they gave them hope, no matter the pressure they were under while taking hundreds of calls.

A few years ago we found a sick litter of kittens near our barn. We brought them in to assess them and see if they could be helped.

One was pretty feisty but another was clearly dying. So I wrapped it in a soft blanket and held it while talking to it. My Dad offered to dispose of it for me and I refused. He was confused and asked me why.

Because that kitten was helpless and still breathing. No, I could not SAVE the kitten but there was no way in hell it was going to die alone and afraid!

You can't always save the victim and people understand that. However, you can ALWAYS be nice, compassionate, HUMAN.

Learn What You Should Do If You're in Your Car During a Flash Flood

• Do not stay in a flooded car. If your vehicle is surrounded by floodwater, abandon the vehicle and move immediately to higher ground.
  • If your car is swept into the water and submerged DON'T PANIC! Stay calm and wait for the vehicle to fill with water. Once the vehicle is full, the doors will open. Hold your breath and swim to the surface.

I can't listen. I couldn't even read past the headline when I saw it on a news site, but ventured into this thread. Thank you very much, WSers, for warnings that the audio would be difficult to hear. I know I can't listen and thank you for that warning.

My heart breaks that the final moments of someone's life were spent like this, that another human being couldn't be KIND in final moments. Not every life can be saved, people die - that is the fact of life we all need to accept. But to be unkind when someone is scared and to be unkind while witnessing someone's final moments of life...I will never, ever understand that. I'm appalled and very sad.

Let's all be kind.

jmo

This woman should be ashamed of herself. I can't listen to the recording, but I've read enough to determine she has no soul! I know God loves her as much as He loves me, but damnit, I hope he gives her nightmares of Debbie's dying pleas for the rest of her life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pgam
Back