AR - Debra Stevens dies in flash flood, rude 911 operator Donna Reneau, Fort Smith, 29 Aug 2019

Learn What You Should Do If You're in Your Car During a Flash Flood

• Do not stay in a flooded car. If your vehicle is surrounded by floodwater, abandon the vehicle and move immediately to higher ground.
  • If your car is swept into the water and submerged DON'T PANIC! Stay calm and wait for the vehicle to fill with water. Once the vehicle is full, the doors will open. Hold your breath and swim to the surface.

Thank you. I wondered what was protocol. And why the 911 operator didn't tell her what to do.

I totally agree. And again, death threats are completely inappropriate, but darn it of his first interview didn’t burn me up. When he said (paraphrased): “I wouldn’t even say she violated protocol” :mad: Tone deaf is indeed the word. He should have been unabashedly vocal about the inappropriateness of the dispatcher’s actions and left no question that he was devastated. As it stood, his interview left me thinking he was actually quite callous and was primarily interested in protecting his (former) employee.

While such violent backlash from the community is uncalled for, I think much of it could have been avoided by the chief showing more appropriate responsibility and outrage himself.

Just repeating the same thing as you, but it angers me enough I want to repeat it.

MOO.

Yes and frankly his response tell me that the actions of the operator stem from the overall culture in that department. Starts with the head. If he thinks that behavior was acceptable that tells me everything I need to know about him and his department. He needs to go.

Hi everyone, decided to join the forum to address the rampant displaced anger shown here.

Wondering why nobody appears to question the timeline of events here? The officer apparently arrived on the scene WHILE she was still on the call, alive. HE chooses to not wade out to her and called for a boat, rather than do something himself. Then she drowns while waiting 15 min for the boat to arrive. Boat is launched at 5:16 am. THEN... although the SUV has already been found & is obviously close enough to land that the officer even thought he could reach it...it somehow takes the rescuers 42 MINUTES to get TO the vehicle! Why do they take SO LONG to reach a vehicle that was close enough to land that someone could wade out to it? Therein lies the criminal aspect of this debacle. That first responder arrived while she was still alive & could be saved, he just chose to call for a boat and that decision cost her life. The investigation should center on WHY emergency personnel took SO inordinately LONG to actually reach her vehicle, especially after it was already located. The responders need to answer questions and possibly face charges. No doubt, the operator could have been more sympathetic, but if any charges are to be filed, let’s not exonerate those directly involved (on the scene) with the rescue attempt & use an operator as the sole scapegoat.

Hi everyone, decided to join the forum to address the rampant displaced anger shown here.

Wondering why nobody appears to question the timeline of events here? The officer apparently arrived on the scene WHILE she was still on the call, alive. HE chooses to not wade out to her and called for a boat, rather than do something himself. Then she drowns while waiting 15 min for the boat to arrive. Boat is launched at 5:16 am. THEN... although the SUV has already been found & is obviously close enough to land that the officer even thought he could reach it...it somehow takes the rescuers 42 MINUTES to get TO the vehicle! Why do they take SO LONG to reach a vehicle that was close enough to land that someone could wade out to it? Therein lies the criminal aspect of this debacle. That first responder arrived while she was still alive & could be saved, he just chose to call for a boat and that decision cost her life. The investigation should center on WHY emergency personnel took SO inordinately LONG to actually reach her vehicle, especially after it was already located. The responders need to answer questions and possibly face charges. No doubt, the operator could have been more sympathetic, but if any charges are to be filed, let’s not exonerate those directly involved (on the scene) with the rescue attempt & use an operator as the sole scapegoat.

I couldn't disagree with your statement more about the first responders.

But I also don't agree with the very nasty public attacking of the dispatcher. It always shocks me what people can say online behind a keyboard that could potentially lead to someone taking their own life. The dispatcher showed a true lack of empathy in the call, it was very hard to listen to. But what if she were to take her own life because of the attacking? Humans just embarrass me sometimes.

But I also don't agree with the very nasty public attacking of the dispatcher. It always shocks me what people can say online behind a keyboard that could potentially lead to someone taking their own life. The dispatcher showed a true lack of empathy in the call, it was very hard to listen to. But what if she were to take her own life because of the attacking? Humans just embarrass me sometimes.

Based on her exit interview that took place after debras death, Donna doesn’t seem very remorseful or guilty.

Based on her exit interview that took place after debras death, Donna doesn’t seem very remorseful or guilty.

That shows that she may be lacking qualities that we should all aim for in our lives, and the sad consequence of possibly who she is as a person (I can't say because I don't know her) means that Debra didn't get that human connection in her last moments. But are the people attacking her online any better?

Woman Complains About Fort Smith 911 Dispatch After Nearly Drowning In Flash Flood

FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) — At the end of August dramatic 911 audio of a Fort Smith woman who died in flash flooding was released. Now another woman is coming forward, saying her fate could have been the same.

"It's knowing that you are all alone and the only person you have to hold onto is offering to hang up on you," Smith told 5NEWS.

"Okay do you want me to just hang up the phone and just leave you there...or do you want me to stay on the phone and try to get somebody to you?" the dispatcher said.
"I want you to talk me through this slow death that I am about to go through," Smith said.

Woman Complains About Fort Smith 911 Dispatch After Nearly Drowning In Flash Flood

FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) — At the end of August dramatic 911 audio of a Fort Smith woman who died in flash flooding was released. Now another woman is coming forward, saying her fate could have been the same.

"It's knowing that you are all alone and the only person you have to hold onto is offering to hang up on you," Smith told 5NEWS.

"Okay do you want me to just hang up the phone and just leave you there...or do you want me to stay on the phone and try to get somebody to you?" the dispatcher said.
"I want you to talk me through this slow death that I am about to go through," Smith said.

:eek:

This department needs a legitimate and unbiased investigation asap.

It was flooded and was dangerous for him to even attempt to rescue her.

That is why they called for a boat.

If she took her own life, it would be because she realized what the horrific way she treated another human being during the final moments of her life, not because of what “people are saying about her”.

Actions have consequences. It would be one thing if she were being falsely accused, but the fact is she did what she did and she doesn’t even seem to think she did anything wrong.

One thing for sure - whoever runs that EMS Service, the police department or a third party, is looking for a suit filed by the family of the victim.

The dispatcher should have been pulled off that switchboard immediately and replaced. Surely another dispatcher heard her negative rude remarks. The call is automatically recorded, so I pray it was pulled before it was recorded over.

What a devil she was to poor Debra.

If she took her own life, it would be because she realized what the horrific way she treated another human being during the final moments of her life, not because of what “people are saying about her”.

Actions have consequences. It would be one thing if she were being falsely accused, but the fact is she did what she did and she doesn’t even seem to think she did anything wrong.

BBM
That is a big statement to make. I am 100% for an investigation, and legal consequences if they are deemed appropriate. I also judge her communication very poorly for how she acted in the call. Terrible actions in response to a woman begging for help. BUT, I can never condone online bullying, in any shape or form, because I acknowledge empathy. The lack of insight keyboard warriors seem to have in relation to the effect they can have on another person is disturbing to say the least. It's a dangerous game. At what point is a person deserving of online bullying, and when are they not? The person who has significant issues in their life does something terrible, are they deserving? The person who was a victim themselves first or had significant life challenges, are they deserving? I just find this new way of people expressing their views online so openly without having to say it to someone face-to-face is reducing the 'pause' moment, the empathy aspect. What if that person had things going on at the time of their behaviour? It doesn't excuse the behaviour, and certainly doesn't excuse them from appropriate consequences. And of course some people are just terrible people in and out, it's not just how they act. But when did some think it's their place to judge before seeing the whole picture, understanding the context? What if a generally good person did something 'wrong', was bullied online and then killed themselves....is that deserving?
(I have no idea about the makeup of this dispatcher, I am just talking generally. Who knows what the context was around her actions. Inexcusable but I'm certainly not comfortable bullying her or condoning others bullying her)

Wow. Like a said, it's a culture problem in the department, IMO. My gosh how awful.

maybe because she (dispatcher) downplayed the urgency? listening (reading) quotes from "officials" following this horrific event this entire department needs a reboot in compassion and common sense ...

BBM
That is a big statement to make. I am 100% for an investigation, and legal consequences if they are deemed appropriate. I also judge her communication very poorly for how she acted in the call. Terrible actions in response to a woman begging for help. BUT, I can never condone online bullying, in any shape or form, because I acknowledge empathy. The lack of insight keyboard warriors seem to have in relation to the effect they can have on another person is disturbing to say the least. It's a dangerous game. At what point is a person deserving of online bullying, and when are they not? The person who has significant issues in their life does something terrible, are they deserving? The person who was a victim themselves first or had significant life challenges, are they deserving? I just find this new way of people expressing their views online so openly without having to say it to someone face-to-face is reducing the 'pause' moment, the empathy aspect. What if that person had things going on at the time of their behaviour? It doesn't excuse the behaviour, and certainly doesn't excuse them from appropriate consequences. And of course some people are just terrible people in and out, it's not just how they act. But when did some think it's their place to judge before seeing the whole picture, understanding the context? What if a generally good person did something 'wrong', was bullied online and then killed themselves....is that deserving?
(I have no idea about the makeup of this dispatcher, I am just talking generally. Who knows what the context was around her actions. Inexcusable but I'm certainly not comfortable bullying her or condoning others bullying her)
BBM
Interesting....
Online bullying?
I can't speak for everyone , but I'd be willing to bet that if this woman was arrested and doing the perp walk, that the majority of people here would be on either side of the sidewalk telling her exactly what they think to her face, as well.
Let me get this straight. It's not okay to express ones opinion online, but it's fine to express ones opinion all day long over the telephone by telling someone in need that "they'll know better next time, and it's all their fault for getting themselves in this situation in the first place?" Who's the bully now?
What's the difference between this woman telling someone that just told her they are about to die that "they'll know better next time," and her telling someone she's about to commit suicide,while someone says that "she'll know better next time?"
To me, the only difference is the woman drowning didn't have a choice.

Interesting....
Online bullying?
I can't speak for everyone , but I'd be willing to bet that if this woman was arrested and doing the perp walk, that the majority of people here would be on either side of the sidewalk telling her exactly what they think to her face, as well.
Let me get this straight. It's not okay to express ones opinion online, but it's fine to express ones opinion all day long over the telephone by telling someone in need that "they'll know better next time, and it's all their fault for getting themselves in this situation in the first place?" Who's the bully now?
What's the difference between this woman telling someone that just told her they are about to die that "they'll know better next time," and her telling someone she's about to commit suicide,while someone says that "she'll know better next time?"
To me, the only difference is the woman drowning didn't have a choice.

This is not at all what I was saying and I would again disagree with your views and how you are interpreting mine....but this is distracting the thread now so I'll let this one be.

I havent commented on this heartbreaking case until now.

However, it wouldnt be the least bit surprising that the 911 operator does receive backlash in her own community. Bad behavior usually doesn't go unnoticed.

I believe if it hadn't been her last day her own community would be demanding she be fired.

It doesn't matter what she may have had going on in her personal life any more than anyone else who has a job to do. I really detest seeing that immature excuse used when anyone acts totally rude in their place of work making it miserable for totally innocent people. Imo.

It certainly isn't the fault of coworkers if anyone has personal problems at home, any more than it would be the fault of thiscpoor woman only calling for help.

No one has any right to take their own personal problems out on those not even involved. Those who do, makes it extremely difficult for everyone at work, and every person they come into contact with.

To say she did her job poorly is an understatement. Imo, she was purposefully mean, unfairly judgemental, uncaring, and downright cruel.

She said she enjoyed helping in case of an emergency. Well she was in a life or death emergency so is this how she likes to behave when someone is seriously in trouble with no one to count on, but her so she knows she can treat them like dirt?

Thank goodness she is no longer anyone the community has to rely on anymore..

It reminds me of other stories where its someone's last day, and instead of leaving on a moral high note they prefer to be the total opposite.

It's unfortunate the poor woman pleading for help, and prayers had to speak with the worst.

Its heartbreaking to know she was going to die, but having to endure such arrogance, and unfounded ridicule makes it even sadder if possible. She sure got the message that the other woman on the other end of the phone didn't really give a damn about her one way or the other. She had to feel so totally alone without any compassionate support.

I have never bullied anyone online or elsewhere for that matter, and never will

However no one was a worse bully than the very one who was supposedly there to help, and give assurances to the woman she was talking down to...

I dont wish this horrid woman any physical harm, but I do wish she hadn't resigned, but had been fired outright instead. A zebra doesnt change it's stripes, imo. This is who she is, and I'm sure others will come forth now that she has been exposed.

There simply was no excuse to be so mean, and cruel to anyone who is fearful of losing their life who finds themselves in a very dire situation.

I have heard many professional 911 dispatchers who are constantly talking with 911 callers who are very calming, understanding, and totally understands what the person on the other end of the line is experiencing. Even through the recorded calls you can feel the 911 dispatcher's genuine heartfelt concern.

There are countless operators in this same position that possess great compassion, and empathy for others.

Sadly the dying woman got one who did not, and her lack of compassion, or empathy was the last person she ever talked to.:(

I cant begin to comprehend the pain her family must feel knowing this is how she was mistreated.

I can only hope the operator never holds another position where her job is to help others.

Nowadays there seems to be such rudeness, negative attitude, and disrespect seen in many jobs customers already have to deal with.

The place it shouldn't ever be found are in first responder positions such as this woman's past position.

My heart is with the families of the woman who lost her life, and knew she was going to die. :(

Jmho

Last edited:
Being Prepared?
FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) — At the end of August dramatic 911 audio of a Fort Smith woman who died in flash flooding was released. Now another woman is coming forward ....
@dixiegirl1035 :) Thanks for your post. sbm
Several days after rain/flood event, Janet Smith was interviewed by TV reporter about her experience - being in stuck in pickup truck, w water rising, and calling 911. Then ~ 2:45 on vid, Smith said:
"It seems like no one was prepared and I feel like you should always be prepared."

Meaning what?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back