Aruba - Natalee Holloway, 18, Oranjestad, 30 May 2005 *AL extortion trial* *Guilty* #3

Joran van der Sloot ties the knot in Peru prison​

I'm beginning to wonder if Peruvian prison may not be as harsh as I assumed, at least for those with resources.

The marriage was 9 years ago, but since then he has apparently become involved with international cocaine trafficking also.

I have always wondered why he so aggressively fought extradition to the US. Possibly I just assumed Peruvian prisons were like those in other Latin American countries.

I'm beginning to wonder if Peruvian prison may not be as harsh as I assumed, at least for those with resources.

The marriage was 9 years ago, but since then he has apparently become involved with international cocaine trafficking also.

I have always wondered why he so aggressively fought extradition to the US. Possibly I just assumed Peruvian prisons were like those in other Latin American countries.
I've heard a few things I can't link to, but I think the prisoners are liable for nearly all their food, someone from outside brings it to them. In another Latino country I've see the very long lines of relatives and friends on the weekends, bringing bundles of food for their friends, loved ones. Also think most have conjugational visiting, to relieve that kind of pressure building up. IMO the US has less of that than do countries further south, though it may be state by state. Federal prisons, I don't know if they have the conjugal visits.

I wondered why he fought extradition too, but one of those articles just posted say the penalties for his alleged extortion and fraud could be a max of 50 years. That's a pretty big addition to his 28 or more down there. Of the 28 he has served 10 and is still in his thirties. So he has 18 more on murder charges and 18 more for drugs. Adding 50 in the USA well that takes care of his life.

I think the drug trafficking is much easier from Peruvian prisons than in the USA. Plus JVDS is a big guy, physically, probably towers over everyone in the whole prison, and gains power from that, also amongst the prisoners for being a "gringo", tri lingual, at least, etc.

IMO

Speaking of harsh, that prison is located way above the level of the top of Mt. Rainier in Washington State, must be quite a burden on the body of a person not used to lack of oxygen and nightly freezing all year, at least outside. I don't know much more, but I keep hearing horror stories of those worst of the prisons in Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, etc.

ETA not sure of the conjugal visits that Daily Beast article I posted said that no one knew how his then future wife got preggers, that he was very isolated behind multiple locked doors.

Last edited:
This is from either the first or one of the first prisons he was in, now according to the articles posted above in the thread his is in Challapalca, one devoted to the worst of the worst prisoners. As a result of the drug dealing.

First sentenced to 28 years for the murder of Stefany, then 18 more for drugs. Add in a max of 50 for US offenses if found guilty.

Why would he want to "talk"? That won't affect the some 36 years he has to go in Peru. Also, I was not fond of that reporter, regarding the way she got content for her television show IMO, IMO, IMO exploiting Mrs. Holloway's pain and anguish. Joran's father is already dead, and I never saw any slightest reason to believe that the Surinamese brothers had anything to do with it.

JMO

Why would he want to "talk"? That won't affect the some 36 years he has to go in Peru. Also, I was not fond of that reporter, regarding the way she got content for her television show IMO, IMO, IMO exploiting Mrs. Holloway's pain and anguish. Joran's father is already dead, and I never saw any slightest reason to believe that the Surinamese brothers had anything to do with it.

JMO

I don’t know why he would talk other than for a plea deal. However, Joran is a pathological liar - hard to believe anything he says. Guess we’ll have to wait and see what Greta is talking about. She has been investigating this case for 18 years. She knows more than she is saying. Trial should be interesting.

I don’t know why he would talk other than for a plea deal. However, Joran is a pathological liar - hard to believe anything he says. Guess we’ll have to wait and see what Greta is talking about. She has been investigating this case for 18 years. She knows more than she is saying. Trial should be interesting.
I don't think Greta knows anything, but I think we'll see a lot of teasing posts. Why would she know more now than at the time? The only thing I can think of is if the US uses some kind of foreign aide or "carrot" to get the Peruvians to make a deal, that JVDS "talks" in the USA, and stays up here, but that is absurd, IMO, there are so many more important things going on internationally. And, why would Peru in effect, discount the death of the young peruana whose murder he has already confessed to. But yeah, the trial should be interesting. I just don't see any 50 years merited for the offenses listed in that document.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloridaThemisProject
Back