Aruba - Natalee Holloway, 18, Oranjestad, 30 May 2005 *AL extortion trial* *Guilty* #3

I don't think Greta knows anything, but I think we'll see a lot of teasing posts. Why would she know more now than at the time? The only thing I can think of is if the US uses some kind of foreign aide or "carrot" to get the Peruvians to make a deal, that JVDS "talks" in the USA, and stays up here, but that is absurd, IMO, there are so many more important things going on internationally. And, why would Peru in effect, discount the death of the young peruana whose murder he has already confessed to. But yeah, the trial should be interesting. I just don't see any 50 years merited for the offenses listed in that document.

Greta has been investigating and working with Beth through the years. She never stopped. It has already been determined as a terms of the extradition that Joran will return to Peru to do his time before doing any time in the US.

Greta has been investigating and working with Beth through the years. She never stopped. It has already been determined as a terms of the extradition that Joran will return to Peru to do his time before doing any time in the US.
I know, but when plea deal was mentioned, that's why I said that it would only make sense if that plea deal somehow made the 36 years still owed Peru to somehow go away, through some deal between Peru and the USA, which doesn't make any sense to me, I just threw it out there as the only reason (I can think of off the bat) he could benefit from a "plea deal" ie if it involved some give from Peru. When GVS hints that he may "talk" I think it gives Mrs. Holloway false hope. BTW, Dave Holloway spent all sorts of time in Aruba looking for NH, cooperated in a major documentary, and worked with so many investigators. I remember when he and one of the guys combed the dump for Natalee's body. It seemed to me that DH spent time searching but did not do many TV appearances.

I see most of these articles, including the ones I post, and many more on the internet saying that Joran VDS is a "suspect" in the Natalee Holloway disappearance. Can someone tell me by which LE outfit is he declared a "suspect"? Aruba police detained him a couple of times but said they didn't have enough evidence to hold him, IIRC.

Has the FBI, or any other entity formally declared him to be a suspect?

The primary suspect, a Dutch teenager named Joran van der Sloot, was arrested twice but never charged with any crimes related to Holloway’s disappearance. Now 35, van der Sloot—imprisoned in Peru after confessing to the murder of another woman in 2010—is set to be extradited to the United States to face an indictment that alleges extortion and wire fraud.

Quote RSBM. May I ask what leads you in that direction?
Well this case unraveled for literally years after she went missing. So it took me awhile to form an opinion. In summary, I don't think there was any motive for 17 year old Joran to kill her. But I think her death occurred, and then Joran somehow dumped her body in the ocean, or possibly to land via a short run to nearby Venezuela.

The main mystery, in my mind, is how her body was disposed of in the ocean (imo) in a permanent manner. She had to have been enclosed in some container that would never ever float, and be deposited in very deep water. So that's why I don't think he murdered her, but is, imo responsible for her disappearance.

I watched this last night. Interesting timing. Is Dan Abrams on to something?

I think Abrams would have more of a case had Joran already been convicted of murder in the USA, then fled to Peru. Maybe then a type of exchange as Abrams is suggesting would make more sense. But an ex president of Peru in exchange for the opportunity to file wire fraud/extortion charges against someone already serving time for murder in another country? I don't see the balance there. But it will be interesting, thanks for posting the video.

I note that Abrams did not familiarize himself with the charges against Joran, to include the newer 18 year penalty drug charges. Abrams could have acquired that knowledge from simple google searches like we WSleuthers have done for the last couple of days.

The point that is repeatedly mentioned and which does not sit entirely well with me is the phrase "botched investigation" by Aruban authorities. Dutch and USA law are not the same. As soon as Natalee's family landed in Aruba, they presumed that authorities were unable to investigate murder and initiated their own investigation. Regardless of whether the murder occurred in Aruba or Alabama, we now know (better than we did in 2005) that when family and investigators clash from the outset of an investigation, that investigation will very likely be botched. That is, the integrity of the investigation is compromised due to extensive daily media coverage of the family's investigation.

The current media speculation that v.d.Sloot will suddenly come clean about the disappearance of Natalee is confusing. He has told numerous conflicting stories throughout the years so one more story, added to all the others, does not further the investigation.

The wire fraud was also a sting operation, and v.d.Sloot has said that he chose to pursue the money because he was angry with Natalee's family for pursuing him for 5 years. I don't know enough about law, but I'm curious whether there's a slim opportunity for v.d.Sloot to navigate around the charges.

Regarding Abrams comments about recent decisions, he mentions the possibility that v.d.Sloot could be kept in Alabama to serve a sentence without returning him to Peru. If that happens, I suspect that v.d.Sloot will be the last person ever extradited to the USA from Peru. It is a temporary extradition to provide relief to Natalee's family, but he must be returned to Peru immediately after trial.

The point that is repeatedly mentioned and which does not sit entirely well with me is the phrase "botched investigation" by Aruban authorities. Dutch and USA law are not the same. As soon as Natalee's family landed in Aruba, they presumed that authorities were unable to investigate murder and initiated their own investigation. Regardless of whether the murder occurred in Aruba or Alabama, we now know (better than we did in 2005) that when family and investigators clash from the outset of an investigation, that investigation will very likely be botched. That is, the integrity of the investigation is compromised due to extensive daily media coverage of the family's investigation.

The current media speculation that v.d.Sloot will suddenly come clean about the disappearance of Natalee is confusing. He has told numerous conflicting stories throughout the years so one more story, added to all the others, does not further the investigation.

The wire fraud was also a sting operation, and v.d.Sloot has said that he chose to pursue the money because he was angry with Natalee's family for pursuing him for 5 years. I don't know enough about law, but I'm curious whether there's a slim opportunity for v.d.Sloot to navigate around the charges.

Regarding Abrams comments about recent decisions, he mentions the possibility that v.d.Sloot could be kept in Alabama to serve a sentence without returning him to Peru. If that happens, I suspect that v.d.Sloot will be the last person ever extradited to the USA from Peru. It is a temporary extradition to provide relief to Natalee's family, but he must be returned to Peru immediately after trial.
I agree with every word of that. Otherwise, wire fraud charges are more important than the death of a Peruvian young woman, the charge he is already serving time for? I don't think the Peruvian people would stand for extradicting Joran to serve wire fraud charges instead of serving his time over the confessed murder of one of their lovely young women.

A little known fact that may have changed the outcome for Stephanie Flores is that v.d.Sloot's mother and uncle had arranged for him to be admitted to a psychiatric facility in the Netherlands at the same time that the wire fraud sting operation was put in place. v.d.Sloot had no money and would have had little choice but to follow through with the plans made by his family.

At the exact moment when v.d.Sloot had no other options, he was offered $25k to tell another story about Natalee's body. Of course, the gambling addict took the money and flew to Peru to pursue wealth through gambling. There, he met Stephanie Flores while gambling, and she became another victim of his violent temper.

If v.d.Sloot had been committed to the psychiatric facility, he would have received treatment, he may have eventually been truthful about the night he met Natalee, and it's quite likely that he would never have been released from the facility. The $25k wire fraud sting changed the course of v.d.Sloot's life and the lives of many others.

"The Van der Sloot family lives in Aruba, where the interview with Anita van der Sloot was conducted. She told the newspaper her son disappeared in mid-May, two days before he was scheduled to travel to the Netherlands for treatment in a mental institution. He left a note saying he was going to Peru, she said."​

March 24, 2014

A little known fact that may have changed the outcome for Stephanie Flores is that v.d.Sloot's mother and uncle had arranged for him to be admitted to a psychiatric facility in the Netherlands at the same time that the wire fraud sting operation was put in place. v.d.Sloot had no money and would have had little choice but to follow through with the plans made by his family.

At the exact moment when v.d.Sloot had no other options, he was offered $25k to tell another story about Natalee's body. Of course, the gambling addict took the money and flew to Peru to pursue wealth through gambling. There, he met Stephanie Flores while gambling, and she became another victim of his violent temper.

If v.d.Sloot had been committed to the psychiatric facility, he would have received treatment, he may have eventually been truthful about the night he met Natalee, and it's quite likely that he would never have been released from the facility. The $25k wire fraud sting changed the course of v.d.Sloot's life and the lives of many others.

"The Van der Sloot family lives in Aruba, where the interview with Anita van der Sloot was conducted. She told the newspaper her son disappeared in mid-May, two days before he was scheduled to travel to the Netherlands for treatment in a mental institution. He left a note saying he was going to Peru, she said."​

March 24, 2014
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CumulativeHazard