Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe she (or claimed at the time of the meal that she):
  • doesn't eat beef
  • is a vegetarian or vegan
  • was not hungry
  • had an upset stomach
  • doesn't normally eat (normally skips) lunch
  • simply told her guests "You needn't wait for me to be seated, just dig in"
MOO
But according to her statement she did eat the Wellington. Of course what she may have actually told her guests is currently unknown. So yeah, she could have given an excuse like you listed or even taken a small portion and moved it around the plate. I once watched a woman who I suspected was anorexic do exactly that at dinner. If you’re not looking for it you may think the person just ate lightly.

Hopefully Ian was able to inform LE exactly what transpired that day. He seems to remain somewhat frail and I hope if EP is the cause that she will pay for her crimes.
MOO

Because she would be dead, just like her poor guests are!

One of her guests is not dead.

EP in her statement said she was taken by ambulance from Leongatha Hospital to the Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne. It has been confirmed by Gippsland Southern Health Service.

"Gippsland Southern Health Service confirmed a fifth person went to Leongatha Hospital on July 30 with suspected food poisoning and was sent to Monash."

EP in her statement said she was taken by ambulance from Leongatha Hospital to the Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne. It has been confirmed by Gippsland Southern Health Service.

"Gippsland Southern Health Service confirmed a fifth person went to Leongatha Hospital on July 30 with suspected food poisoning and was sent to Monash."

They had a duty of care so she shows up and claims she has these symptoms and of course they will monitor her due to her guests dying or being on life support. The facts remain she was in and out remarkably quickly with no ill effects. It’s just another story she spun to try and sound like she was sick.

Mooo

I don't think it's really fair to equate the suffering of Ian Wilkinson who was in the hospital for seven weeks and was on the brink of death with that of Erin who was treated as an outpatient and released the same day.

Also, I think it's important to note that while the authorities sent EP to Monash which is the closest regional hospital, the other three were sent to The Austin, which is the state's center for poison control. It seems the authorities did not feel her symptoms merited the same level of concern as the others.

Leongatha hospital, Doctors found EP unwell enough to need a transfer to Monash.

Any proof it wasn’t just precautionary due to the fact others were dead and one on life support?

They were duty bound to go on the information available and obviously took it very seriously but it doesn’t change the facts she was completely fine within a day or so and got released remarkably quickly.

Moo

Any proof it wasn’t just precautionary due to the fact others were dead and one on life support?

They were duty bound to go on the information available and obviously took it very seriously but it doesn’t change the facts she was completely fine within a day or so and got released remarkably quickly.

Moo
Going off my memory here, but I don't think any of the three had died by the time EP was released. I thought it was 2-3-4 days later that they died.

MOO though.

They had a duty of care so she shows up and claims she has these symptoms and of course they will monitor her due to her guests dying or being on life support. The facts remain she was in and out remarkably quickly with no ill effects. It’s just another story she spun to try and sound like she was sick.

Mooo

EP was transferred on July 30th. Her guests were not on life support or dying at that stage. It may be a case of her presenting with the same symptoms as her guests. Whether she faked or not is unknown at this stage.

I don't think it's really fair to equate the suffering of Ian Wilkinson who was in the hospital for seven weeks and was on the brink of death with that of Erin who was treated as an outpatient and released the same day.

Also, I think it's important to note that while the authorities sent EP to Monash which is the closest regional hospital, the other three were sent to The Austin, which is the state's center for poison control. It seems the authorities did not feel her symptoms merited the same level of concern as the others.

Agree, it would not be fair to equate the suffering and my post certainly was not written with the intention of doing that. My post made two separate points. Perhaps I should have made two posts.... unfortunately the time allowed to edit the post has lapsed.

Last edited:
Agree, it would not be fair to equate the suffering and my post certainly was not written with the intention of doing that. My post made two separate points. Perhaps I should have made two posts.... unfortunately the time allowed to edit the post has lapse.
No worries. And I never really thought that you meant to minimize Ian's suffering. I just wanted to make the point that the two hospitalizations were very different in nature.

I think in the end this will all come out in the eventual trial. Did the medical staff believe that Erin was truly ill or did they think she was feigning? I guess we all just have to be patient.

On that note, for those of us who are unfamiliar with the Victorian criminal justice system: What can we expect at the committal hearing? Will there be charges read, or will there be an indictment with the state's case laid out?

Here’s a rough timeline published November 3, 2023. I think the Daily Mail published one also.

Saturday July 29 - the lunch.
Saturday July 29 later in the evening and early hours Sunday morning all four guests go to hospitals in Leongatha and Korumburra. All four are then transferred to Austin.

Sunday and Monday July 30 and 31 Erin goes to hospital in Leongatha presenting with suspected food poisoning. She’s transferred to Monash Medical Centre.

Friday August 4 Gail and Heather die.

Erin fed her kids the leftovers the next evening, Sunday. I doubt she was ill at that point so it seems likely she was aware of her four guests falling ill before she went to hospital herself.

It’s a little odd IMO that her symptoms showed up so much later. I’d expect that she would have tasted the Wellington as she prepared it. Yet she went to hospital about a day after her guests became ill enough to be taken to the regional poison center.

JMO it would be easy to go to hospital and claim that she was vomiting and had diarrhea. Doctors couldn’t very well demand she prove it.
All MOO

Are you able to explain what a "committal mention" is? TIA
Sure:

“A committal mention is the second step in the committal process, occurring after a filing hearing and before a full committal hearing. In Victoria, serious crimes (called indictable offences) generally proceed through the committal stream, beginning in the Magistrates’ Court. During committal proceedings, the Magistrates’ Court, where charges are initially filed.

At a committal mention, your lawyer will indicate to the court whether you intend to plead guilty or not guilty in relation to your matter. This will only occur once your lawyer has considered the brief of evidence concerning the charges against you.

The magistrate may offer a summary hearing, commit the accused for trial in a higher court, determine an application to cross-examine witnesses or make other orders or directions.”

@ch_13

Committal Mention | Dribbin & Brown Criminal Lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads