Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

Accused mushroom murderer Erin Pattersonhas hired a legend of Australian criminal law as part of her legal team as she faces three murder and five attempted murder charges.

Philip Dunn KC, who has worked on some of the biggest criminal cases in Australia including the Great Bookie Robbery in the 1970s, will defend 49-year-old Ms Patterson.”

She's usually referred to as mushroom cook or mushroom chef. This is the fisrt time where I've heard her referred to as musroom murderer.
Which is quite incorrect as she’s not been accused of murdering any mushrooms. A further reminder of what an unusual case this is.

IMO

On a more practical note: It would be a challenge to get the Google search terms that consumers would use into the byline.

I’m guessing the masthead wanted the words “mushroom” and “murderer” incorporated into the title for wider circulation of the article.

IMO

Last edited:

Lawyer fears accused mushroom killer won't get a fair trial | Herald Sun
Herald Sun
... Erin Patterson won't get a fair trial. The big shot barrister representing accused mushroom killer Erin Patterson says he doesn't know “how on
I read a 2016 interview with Phillip Dunn and I believe he will provide EP with the best defense possible.

Regarding whether Erin will get a fair trial… it’s up to her lawyer and the court to suss that out. Here in the US we have a constant flow of high profile cases where prosecutors and defense attorneys manage to provide the accused with a balanced and fair trial.

What happens in Australia when a case is highly publicized? There must be some sort of resolution IMO.

I read a 2016 interview with Phillip Dunn and I believe he will provide EP with the best defense possible.

Regarding whether Erin will get a fair trial… it’s up to her lawyer and the court to suss that out. Here in the US we have a constant flow of high profile cases where prosecutors and defense attorneys manage to provide the accused with a balanced and fair trial.

What happens in Australia when a case is highly publicized? There must be some sort of resolution IMO.

I was going to say that EP could request a judge-only trial. That happens sometimes, like Simon Gittany's judge-only trial in 2013 for murdering his fiancee Lisa Harnum.

But then I just read that the state of Victoria does not allow judge-only trials.

Trial by judge alone, however, is not available in all jurisdictions. For example, it is not offered in Victoria – and will therefore not be an option for Cardinal George Pell – and it is not available if an accused has been tried with a Commonwealth offence (such as drug importation, or anti-terrorism laws).

Paraphrase. EP Persecuted, Vilified. Wouldn't happen to a man.

EP has certainly been vilified. Has she been persecuted? I wouldn't say so, at least not in the common usage of that term.

It's an interesting question of how EP would have been treated if she were a man. There's definitely a gendered aspect to the crime she's accused of—cooking a poisoned meal. Nevertheless, I think the attention this case received is not because EP is female, but rather is due to the novelty of the alleged poison delivery mechanism, her widely disseminated media Q&A, and the unusual circumstances surrounding her lunch with her ex-in-laws (but without her former husband present).

Judge-Alone Trial in Victoria? A possibility for EP?
I was going to say that EP could request a judge-only trial. That happens sometimes, like Simon Gittany's judge-only trial in 2013 for murdering his fiancee Lisa Harnum.
But then I just read that the state of Victoria does not allow judge-only trials.
Trial by judge alone, however, is not available in all jurisdictions. For example, it is not offered in Victoria – and will therefore not be an option for Cardinal George Pell – and it is not available if an accused has been tried with a Commonwealth offence (such as drug importation, or anti-terrorism laws).
@SouthAussie Interesting issue about "judge-only trials" in US, a.k.a. "bench-trials."
I ran across this* from Sup. Ct. of VIC authorizing a ct. to order judge-alone trial and referring to the "pandemic declaration" and dated May 30, 2022. I did not read for detail. Still in effect? IDK.

I don't see a date on the linked Chelmsford law firm website page but a footnote there refers to a 2017 case and seems to predate Jan 2023.***

Just FWIW.

========================
* W a quick search I did not find a more recent date or a repeal of this Notice.
30 March 2022
"NOTICE TO THE PROFESSION - CRIMINAL TRIALS BY JUDGE ALONE"
a Court may order that there be a trial by judge alone while a pandemic declaration is in force."

** Notice to the Profession - Criminal trials by judge alone

*** Trial By Judge Alone: is it possible and if so, is it preferable? – Chelmsford Legal
Chelmsford piece refers to a case re Cardinal George Pell who died Jan 10, 2023.

Judge-Alone Trial in Victoria? A possibility for EP?
@SouthAussie Interesting issue about "judge-only trials" in US, a.k.a. "bench-trials."
I ran across this* from Sup. Ct. of VIC authorizing a ct. to order judge-alone trial and referring to the "pandemic declaration" and dated May 30, 2022. I did not read for detail. Still in effect? IDK.

I don't see a date on the linked Chelmsford law firm website page but a footnote there refers to a 2017 case and seems to predate Jan 2023.***

Just FWIW.

========================
* W a quick search I did not find a more recent date or a repeal of this Notice.
30 March 2022
"NOTICE TO THE PROFESSION - CRIMINAL TRIALS BY JUDGE ALONE"
a Court may order that there be a trial by judge alone while a pandemic declaration is in force."

** Notice to the Profession - Criminal trials by judge alone

*** Trial By Judge Alone: is it possible and if so, is it preferable? – Chelmsford Legal
Chelmsford piece refers to a case re Cardinal George Pell who died Jan 10, 2023.

Yes, courts were different during the peak of the pandemic. But Victoria's pandemic declaration ..... "ended 11.59pm on 12 October 2022, and all associated pandemic orders ceased at this time".

Yes, courts were different during the peak of the pandemic. But Victoria's pandemic declaration ..... "ended 11.59pm on 12 October 2022, and all associated pandemic orders ceased at this time".
@SouthAussie
Thank you for your post w update & link.

My post about the Notice of the Sup. Ct of VIC. permitting orders for judge-only trial, referring to the "pandemic declaration" and dated May 30, 2022, said:
"I did not read for detail. Still in effect? IDK."

Glad you dug in deeper. :) TYVM.

Once the proceedings begin, this podcast will bring you all the key updates from the case involving accused triple murderer, Erin Patterson, and an allegedly poisonous mushroom lunch. If and when the case proceeds to a full trial, we'll cover it daily.

“Accused poisoner Erin Patterson has reportedly been moved to a protected unit in a Victorian prison as she awaits trial.

The Herald Sun has cited a prison insider who claimed Patterson had been moved to the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre's protected wing, for protection from other inmates.

It's believed she could be in a unit that includes a shower, toilet, desk, closet, and perhaps even access to a kitchen.”

Credit/ 9 News, March 2024

Accused poisoner Erin Patterson moved to 'protected unit' in prison

The Mushroom Cook. Podcast Herald Sun

Subscribers of News Corp Australia’s state mastheads will have exclusive first access to episodes of The Mushroom Cook as they are released each week.

The first episode will be released today and then every Sunday from March 31.

Episode 1 The Lunch

Last edited:
Accused triple murderer mushroom cook Erin Patterson has been forced into a protected unit at a women’s maximum security prison alongside pedophile rapist school principal Malka Leifer, as fears mount for the mother of two’s safety

Victoria Police confirmed on Friday their brief of evidence had been lodged. It's expected to include witness statements from Simon Patterson and Mr Wilkinson.
A brief of evidence in the case against accused mushroom chef Erin Patterson has been finalised by homicide detectives

Detectives had 20 weeks to put the brief together which was due to be submitted to court by Monday.

'If Erin got out of protection, the girls would hurt her,' they told the Herald Sun.

'She allegedly killed three elderly people. There's a rule, you don't touch the elderly and you don't touch babies so because of that, you go into protection.

'She would be doing it very, very hard in there as she would only be able to speak to two or three girls and that's it.'

Accused triple murderer mushroom cook Erin Patterson has been forced into a protected unit at a women’s maximum security prison alongside pedophile rapist school principal Malka Leifer, as fears mount for the mother of two’s safety

Victoria Police confirmed on Friday their brief of evidence had been lodged. It's expected to include witness statements from Simon Patterson and Mr Wilkinson.
A brief of evidence in the case against accused mushroom chef Erin Patterson has been finalised by homicide detectives

Detectives had 20 weeks to put the brief together which was due to be submitted to court by Monday.

'If Erin got out of protection, the girls would hurt her,' they told the Herald Sun.

'She allegedly killed three elderly people. There's a rule, you don't touch the elderly and you don't touch babies so because of that, you go into protection.

'She would be doing it very, very hard in there as she would only be able to speak to two or three girls and that's it.'
Girls?!! What am I reading?
A Women’s Maximum Security Prison but she won’t have more than 2 or 3
“girls” to talk to?
Color me disgusted & not concerned with her friendships or lack there of

Girls?!! What am I reading?
A Women’s Maximum Security Prison but she won’t have more than 2 or 3
“girls” to talk to?
Color me disgusted & not concerned with her friendships or lack there of
Had to make sure I was in the right place.

I thought we were looking at a homicide case, three murders and a nearly.

For a second there, though, I thought maybe we were talking about junior high.

Prison is for protecting civilized society from wanton abusers; it's not a social club.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back