Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple lawyer charges as well doesn’t reflect well on her innocence here
I don’t think the fact that she’s changed lawyers reflects either way on her innocence or guilt. She’s presumed innocent right now, I don’t think she’s entered a plea, the case is sub judice and it’s up to a court to find her either guilty or innocent.

I think the multiple changes of legal representation might be a seperate issue altogether, but jmo. It might depend on whether or not Erin has dismissed her counsel or her counsel has dismissed her. That might mean something?!

Accused mushroom cook killer Erin Patterson requests trial in Gippsland
But Patterson's barrister Colin Mandy SC insisted his client wanted to be tried in Gippsland, in regional Victoria, saying "she's content to wait" for up to 14 or 15 months on remand.

He told the court that the "proper venue" for proceedings was close to the accused's home.

Police requested a 20 week adjournment after her November appearance to analyse a smartwatch, five iPads and a laundry list of electronics seized from Patterson's home.

She is expected to face Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court next on May 7.

Accused mushroom cook killer Erin Patterson requests trial in Gippsland
But Patterson's barrister Colin Mandy SC insisted his client wanted to be tried in Gippsland, in regional Victoria, saying "she's content to wait" for up to 14 or 15 months on remand.

He told the court that the "proper venue" for proceedings was close to the accused's home.

Police requested a 20 week adjournment after her November appearance to analyse a smartwatch, five iPads and a laundry list of electronics seized from Patterson's home.

She is expected to face Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court next on May 7.
She must be really missing her Apple Watch right about now. They’re just so convenient.

That’s what I was thinking. Like she’s just patiently waiting while enjoying all the companionship…
In some ways life on remand is probably a better life than she had on the outside, as the press was pretty keen to document her life after that unfortunate mushroom lunch. JMO

And I’m interested to know: What kind of companionship is there in that prison? Surely Erin is surrounded by terrorists and murderers? Not great company I’d have thought.

Maybe she’s “working her case”? She might need more time to go through the briefs and work to identify aspects of the case that are in her favour. Maybe she even gets to check WebSleuths in prison! Who knows.

IMO

Last edited:
Someone had suggested earlier that EP is likely not applying for bail because she knows (and has been legally advised) that she has buckley's chance of getting bail. So why spend all of the $$$ for a barrister to apply for and attend a bail hearing in the Supreme Court? Which makes sense to me.

There is also the possibility that, having read the police brief, EP and her legal team may project that there is a good chance EP will get some kind of sentence (for murder or manslaughter). So 14 or 15 months of further incarceration will just come off any future prison sentence, as will the time she has already spent in jail.

EP may feel that she may get to see her kids if she is temporarily housed closer to where they (presumably) live, for a committal hearing.

And EP and her defence team may think she has a chance of not getting committed to trial with a rural jury, if they can be sufficiently persuasive during the committal hearing.

Or if they can get a rural jury for the committal, and EP is committed, they think they might be able to more successfully push for a trial in a rural region as well. And then may have a better chance of getting a not guilty verdict or hung jury.

It could be any or all of the above, or maybe something else that we haven't thought of yet?

imo

Last edited:
Someone had suggested earlier that EP is likely not applying for bail because she knows (and has been legally advised) that she has buckley's chance of getting bail. So why spend all of the $$$ for a barrister to apply for and attend a bail hearing in the Supreme Court? Which makes sense to me.

There is also the possibility that, having read the police brief, EP and her legal team may project that there is a good chance EP will get some kind of sentence (for murder or manslaughter). So 14 or 15 months of further incarceration will just come off any future prison sentence, as will the time she has already spent in jail.

EP may feel that she may get to see her kids if she is temporarily housed closer to where they (presumably) live, for a committal hearing.

And EP and her defence team may think she has a chance of not getting committed to trial with a rural jury, if they can be sufficiently persuasive during the committal hearing.

Or if they can get a rural jury for the committal, and EP is committed, they think they might be able to more successfully push for a trial in a rural region as well. And then may have a better chance of getting a not guilty verdict or hung jury.

It could be any or all of the above, or maybe something else that we haven't thought of yet?

imo
Are committals heard by a jury? I don't think they are.

imo
Maybe if the trial is held in the court closest to her residence or where the alleged crime(s) occurred, then first of all, it might be hard to get an impartial jury and secondly, her lawyers might be able to start to argue for a Judge only trial.

In some ways life on remand is probably a better life than she had on the outside, as the press was pretty keen to document her life after that unfortunate mushroom lunch. JMO

And I’m interested to know: What kind of companionship is there in that prison? Surely Erin is surrounded by terrorists and murderers? Not great company I’d have thought.

Maybe she’s “working her case”? She might need more time to go through the briefs and work to identify aspects of the case that are in her favour. Maybe she even gets to check WebSleuths in prison! Who knows.

IMO
I imagine that apart from preparing her case, she's researching for a literary endeavour. The company would be interesting for a while, and then I think quite suddenly very very boring.

So I’ve rather clumsily summed up group members proposed rationale for Ms. Patterson instructing her lawyers to request a trial closer to Leongatha:

^Rural jury
^Less fees than Magistrates Court
^Closer to offspring for potential visits
^Closer to potential friends for support in court
^More time for Ms. Patterson to work her case whilst on remand
^Interesting company whilst in prison

I’ll add one: Working on her memoir whilst on remand?

Last edited:
So I’ve rather clumsily summed up group members proposed rationale for Ms. Patterson instructing her lawyers to request a trial closer to Leongatha:

^Rural jury
^Less fees than Magistrates Court
^Closer to offspring for potential visits
^Closer to potential friends for support in court
^More time for Ms. Patterson to work her case whilst on remand
^Interesting company whilst in prison

I’ll add one: Working on her memoir whilst on remand?
Also: assuming a guilty finding, more time in remand facility = less time in prison facility. Conditions in remand are likely preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldGef