Australia Australia - Celine Cremer, 31, Belgium backpacker, car found at the Philosopher’s fall track, Waratah, Tasmania, 12 June 2023

StillDiggin

Reaction score
If you've been in the Philosopher Falls carpark (at Waratah) since 12 June please phone police on 131 444. Did you see a white Honda CRV (rego E40TF) there?

Police are currently searching the Philosopher Falls Track area for missing Belgium woman, Celine Cremer, who has not been in contact with family or friends since 12 June.

Yesterday, police received a concern for welfare report for Celine, who is travelling Tasmania. Today Celine's vehicle has been located unattended in a carpark at the Philosopher Falls Track.

Search and Rescue members, assisted by a Police Drone, have been conducting searches in the area.

Belgian woman missing in Tasmanian wilderness for 11 days an ‘inexperienced hiker’, police say​

It wouldn't really matter how experienced a hiker you were for this walk though. It's a short, quick walk. Unless she went off track and headed out somewhere which seems unlikely.

Being an experienced hiker probably won't help much if you bump into someone who wants to do you harm.
Or if it's a hit and hide your body.
Yes sure, think her walking experience is totally irrelevant whatever happened.

I wonder if her car started. If she'd gone for a walk then got back and couldn't start her car there would be no other way out other than hitching a ride.

It would be relevant if she'd had an accident somewhere.
And it's not out of the question that she might have gone off track.
Ah I only meant given the track. It's an easy short walk. And would be a strange one to walk off given its a signposted kind of short walk thing and there's a stack of other walks to hikes. But I guess people do strange things. Would have thought more people would have seen her too, especially over a weekend. I hope she got a lift somewhere with someone though, is the only way she could possibly be still ok.

Also Daily Mail. Both contain this quote excerpt from Tasmania Police Inspector Anthea Maingay:

'Unfortunately, we have received expert medical advice that indicates the recent conditions are not survivable for the length of time that Celine is thought to have been exposed in the wilderness.

'We remain in close contact with Celine's family and our thoughts continue to be with them.'

(Posting second link with quote simply because the MSN link wanted to force me to download an app for full access)

Still hoping for the best, but also recognize the reality of a remote outside search effort in challenging weather. Despite advances in SAR processes and procedures (and lost persons behavior), finding persons in wilderness areas is difficult.

Of course, that doesn’t account for potential foul play, though the police do not seem to be leaning in that direction.

Missing Belgian woman feared dead in Tasmanian bush​

Also Daily Mail. Both contain this quote excerpt from Tasmania Police Inspector Anthea Maingay:

(Posting second link with quote simply because the MSN link wanted to force me to download an app for full access)

Still hoping for the best, but also recognize the reality of a remote outside search effort in challenging weather. Despite advances in SAR processes and procedures (and lost persons behavior), finding persons in wilderness areas is difficult.

Of course, that doesn’t account for potential foul play, though the police do not seem to be leaning in that direction.
I don't want to disagree with an expert, but I will say that the Midwest USA and Tasmania clearly have very different ideas of "freezing" weather. The daily highs in Waratah are around 60, with the lowest low I can see being 45. Is the falls at a significantly higher elevation than Waratah?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zurbamommyof2
Back