Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

Their ute was parked at the curbside (yes, I'm aware it's spelled kerb down there) in the nighttime 10 News First video on Twitter upthread. But where was the ute being moved from when the incident happened? Was it
  • backing out of the garage;
  • pulling forward out of the garage; or
  • parked on the street to begin with?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> She was hit by the car on Saturday, December 30 at 8pm.

“A woman has died and a man has been arrested following a crash at Medindie last night,” the police statement read. “Just after 8pm on Saturday 30 December, police and emergency services were called to Avenel Gardens Road after reports that a woman had been hit by a car.

“A 32-year-old Medindie woman suffered serious injuries and was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for treatment. Sadly, she died in hospital overnight."

<modsnip: sub judice>

RIP to Melissa - a talented sportswoman.
What a tragedy for the family, especially the kids :(
My condolences.

JMO

"Olympic cyclist Melissa Hoskins was

'planning a new life'

with her husband.

Friends said Hoskins and Dennis were preparing for the next stage of their lives after retiring from professional sport and had considered buying a vineyard in Adelaide Hills, according to The Advertiser.

Dennis has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life and was released on bail to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court again in March."

Melissa will be laid to rest in Perth, which is where she comes from.
A memorial will be held for Melissa, here in South Australia, once the Tour Down Under has finished later this month.

"Words cannot convey our grief, sadness and the tragic circumstances of Melissa's passing," her parents Peter and Amanda and sister Jess said in the statement.
"Myself, Amanda, Jess and families, are utterly devastated and still struggling to process what has happened."

"Not only have we lost a daughter and sister, her children have lost their mum, a freewheeling spirit, a giver with a big heart, patience and zest for life.
"She was the rock of their life and ours and we need to honour her memory so they can grow up knowing who she was, what she stood for and what she gave to everyone whose life she touched."

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>
"According to reports from The Adelaide Advertiser,
law enforcement alleges that Hoskins climbed onto the bonnet of their $70,000 4WD Volkswagen Amarok utility vehicle and
attempted to grasp a door handle as Dennis purportedly continued driving until she fell to the ground.

The mother of two may have been pulled for a considerable distance along the street,
as it is suspected that the incident in question was potentially captured by security cameras in the vicinity."

I can't really see how a person lying on the bonnet could hope to achieve anything by reaching the door handle anyway? It's highly unlikely they'd be able to get into the vehicle surely. <modsnip: sub judice> What a tragedy all round.

Story from NY Post, post-incident twilight video is interesting:
Much of the story is already described elsewhere, but it gives an exact date for his next court appearance, not sure if that has been posted yet:
He has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 13.

Story from NY Post, post-incident twilight video is interesting:

Much of the story is already described elsewhere, but it gives an exact date for his next court appearance, not sure if that has been posted yet:
He has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 13.
Bolding mine.
Possibly some scattered remnants of clothing ?
As in, torn off her while being dragged ?
:(
<modsnip>
Omo.

Possibly some scattered remnants of clothing ?
As in, torn off her while being dragged ?
I think more likely cut off her by emergency services.

edit: I think the suitcase is also medical equipement? Looks like a police officer repacking it later in the video?

One of the articles says Melissa grabbed the handle as Rohan "continued" driving.

I wonder if she was running after the Ute, grabbing at the handle as he drove away, and she slipped and fell under the wheels? That could fit with Rohan being charged with reckless driving but not with any intent to harm Melissa.

I don't see blood in the photos/video of the scene. Wonder if she was crushed by that vehicle. Terrible!!

One of the articles says Melissa grabbed the handle as Rohan "continued" driving.

I wonder if she was running after the Ute, grabbing at the handle as he drove away, and she slipped and fell under the wheels? That could fit with Rohan being charged with reckless driving but not with any intent to harm Melissa.
Thank you…. This has been a question. Could you share the article link that indicates she apparently grabbed the handle at that point? In all the information I missed that. Thanks!

edit: I think the suitcase is also medical equipement? Looks like a police officer repacking it later in the video?
Yes, I agree on the suitcase being EMT equipment.

Thank you…. This has been a question. Could you share the article link that indicates she apparently grabbed the handle at that point? In all the information I missed that. Thanks!

It was previously posted (BBM):

"According to reports from The Adelaide Advertiser,
law enforcement alleges that Hoskins climbed onto the bonnet of their $70,000 4WD Volkswagen Amarok utility vehicle and attempted to grasp a door handle as Dennis purportedly continued driving until she fell to the ground.

The mother of two may have been pulled for a considerable distance along the street,
as it is suspected that the incident in question was potentially captured by security cameras in the vicinity."

I re-watched the video and later (00:50) another officer puts the scattered items in a large white bag.
The red blanket with the white tasseled fringe looks like it came from the house ?
The black and yellow slender flat case does look like emt equipment, but the larger black one looks like a family suitcase.
Not sure about that, though.
It's an odd part of this tragedy.

<modsnip>
Omo.

I can't tell if it's blood or just dirt from the road. It's reddish, but not exactly red.

Crush injuries may not cause any significant bleeding.

They said Melissa had sustained catastrophic injuries. This does not seem to be a random description. Things like spinal cord injury, brain injury, and paraplegia are classed as catastrophic injuries. Which would not necessarily show significant bleeding. (eg: she could have broken her neck)

imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetCandy
Back