Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

AustCycling (governing body for cycling in Australia) will be honouring Melissa this coming Sunday 7th January, at the cycling Road Nationals in Ballarat.

AustCycling has consulted with Melissa's family, and says that prior to the start of the women's race (9:20am) a minute's silence will be held for Melissa. A former teammate of Melissa's may also say a few words, but that is unconfirmed.

The tribute will be broadcast on SBS and on Kayo Sports, who both hold the broadcast rights to the event.

(paraphrased)

This article says the incident happened 120 metres from and around the corner from their house.

And a neighbour told the journo that they saw the police towing the ute from the T-junction of Avenel Gardens Road.

I saw a photo of the house earlier, and from the published photos of the yellow lines on the road and the close CCTV camera, I think this is where the incident happened in relation to their house.

The carport doors for the house are on a back laneway. That seems to be the "back entrance" that all the articles refer to.

I had the impression (in my mind) that this happened in front of their home, but it seems not. At least, that is not where Melissa and the ute ended up.

imo

b.jpg
Google maps

Last edited:
It's going to come down to the CCTV, crime scene reconstruction, and what the neighbors saw/heard before, during and after.
Also DNA, fingerprints and any bodily fluids in the vehicle.

IMHO that whole house should have been made a crime scene. Was it?

Just a guess: Also, both Melissa and Rohan’s mobile phones and devices will be the key to solving this case. Second only to the CCTV and vehicle evidence.

All MOO.

On another note, I hope the witnesses, first responders, law enforcement and other bystanders and civilians, including neighbours are getting any counselling they require. I don’t really like talking about victims’ children but I do hope they are wrapped in the warm embrace of loving family at this time.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info, SouthAussie. I'm guessing the reason they phrased 'may have been dragged' is that it's possible there is no relevant cctv covering the rear access road. Perhaps they know her position when she came into view of the cctv but don't have video of how she got there.

Good info, SouthAussie. I'm guessing the reason they phrased 'may have been dragged' is that it's possible there is no relevant cctv covering the rear access road. Perhaps they know her position when she came into view of the cctv but don't have video of how she got there.
If she was dragged it would have been pretty obvious to medical personnel who responded and will be noted by the medical examiner for the coroner. Her body will not be ambiguous. Being dragged on a road by a vehicle does terrible, unmistakable damage.

MOO

How do you jump on the hood of a moving car with two feet?

Was there a landing above? Did she jump from a height?

What if the dents are her body being hit by the car and bouncing? What if she didn’t jump onto the vehicle at all?

IMO
Earlier news reports posted in this thread made clear the vehicle was NOT moving at the time she got up on the hood/bonnet.

Have later reports changed that?

MOO

Sydney Criminal Lawyers have weighed in on the charges against Rohan.

(Remembering that aggravated Death by Dangerous Driving can carry a term of life imprisonment in South Australia, as per this link.)

One such circumstance of aggravation is where “the offender committed the offence knowing that the victim of the offence was a person with whom the offender was, or was formerly, in a relationship”. As such, it seems likely that if convicted of any of the following offences Mr Dennis will receive the aggravated penalty.

They also state that there would be two defences available (if applicable). One would be self defence, the other would be the insanity defence.

Personally, I am waiting for the big gun lawyers (whoever they might be) to go for some kind of minimising plea deal. imo

Earlier news reports posted in this thread made clear the vehicle was NOT moving at the time she got up on the hood/bonnet.

Have later reports changed that?

MOO

One of the more recent articles shared here suggests she first tried to open the door and when she could not she jumped on the bonnet. There were other articles suggesting she jumped on the bonnet AND tried to open the door, making it sound like she did that whilst on the bonnet, which of course seems impossible. This article better clarifies the sequence however it still does not say if the vehicle was stationary. To me, it reads as if the car was moving: “she was trying to halt the car’s progress while it was still in the street near their home.” However I guess if it was parked in the street and not in a driveway it could be stationary. MOO

“One report said Melissa possibly jumped on the bonnet after trying to grab the driver side door, which may have been locked or she was unable to open it. It has been speculated that she was trying to halt the car's progress while it was still in the street near their home.”

I'm surprised by the dents on the bonnet/hood of the ute/SUV. Wow!

I've seen crazy videos of people purposely jumping on the hood during a dispute. Most are chest first and no dents are caused bc the car is not moving.

These two dents are significant. Was the car moving? Did she literally jump on the hood with two feet?
could have been flipped up and towards the windshield like a deer.... was it dark when this happened? The pictures show darkness. Wonder if either of them were impaired in any way and if they could clearly see what they were doing. After Austin, the cycling world seems ... too dramatic and dangerous IMO.

One of the more recent articles shared here suggests she first tried to open the door and when she could not she jumped on the bonnet. There were other articles suggesting she jumped on the bonnet AND tried to open the door, making it sound like she did that whilst on the bonnet, which of course seems impossible. This article better clarifies the sequence however it still does not say if the vehicle was stationary. To me, it reads as if the car was moving: “she was trying to halt the car’s progress while it was still in the street near their home.” However I guess if it was parked in the street and not in a driveway it could be stationary. MOO

“One report said Melissa possibly jumped on the bonnet after trying to grab the driver side door, which may have been locked or she was unable to open it. It has been speculated that she was trying to halt the car's progress while it was still in the street near their home.”

I think the key words/phrases here are possibly and also it has been speculated.

We (the public, and non law enforcement people) don’t really know at this stage and I doubt the police would allow journalists to view the CCTV footage…I wonder if any reporters have tried to ask the neighbour to view their footage?

IMO

could have been flipped up and towards the windshield like a deer.... was it dark when this happened? The pictures show darkness. Wonder if either of them were impaired in any way and if they could clearly see what they were doing. After Austin, the cycling world seems ... too dramatic and dangerous IMO.

It is not dark at that time in Australia at that latitude this time of year. Where I am is similar, and we're not getting sunset until 8:12pm today, with full dark sometime later, maybe 8:30, 8:40.

Whatever the truth of it, and whatever happens next, my heart just breaks for their 2 little ones.:(
I know, I feel absolutely terrible for them. Even if it’s completely an accident, just a tragic accident, it’s a horribly unfair situation for young children to lose their mother in a tragic event.

Whatever the consequence (if any) for the person charged, (and perhaps they are totally innocent, and they should be presumed innocent right now) the children will never get their mother back.

I am praying that those children receive so much comfort, assurance and love at this time.

The couple were due to attend a Christmas street party on the night of Hoskins’ death but were no shows, The Australian reported.

ETA: I just read the "quoted" Australian article, what it actually says is that the family were due to attend the street Xmas party TWO WEEKS ago, and didn't show. (Not "on the night of" Melissa's death.)
That would make the party about a week before Melissa's death.

There seems to be 2 CCTV cameras that are vital. They are on the home of a real estate agent, who didn't wish to comment. The cameras appear to look over part of the area of the incident.

Last edited:
Just wondering about the dents on the bonnet of the car and whether there would be any from someone being on a bonnet when its stationery?? IMO

Could there be a scenario where she was driven towards and then she proceeded to jump on the bonnet to avoid being hit?? IMO

It might explain how there are dents on the bonnet and why she may have slipped off because she never really got opportunity to position herself properly?? Just wondering? MOO

Hopefully the video should tell the story.

Also the reports from the EMTs/Medics. Crushing chest injuries, for example, would indicate that she was run over by the vehicle. A head injury could possibly indicate that she fell off a moving car. If she was dragged by vehicle those injuries would be obvious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back