Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Last edited:
I'm bringing this over from the last thread.

This is a summary of the police case outlining their allegations against GL.

The trip would end in tragedy, with CC shot in the head and RH fatally stabbed, after a fight over a drone.

They believe it’s likely the couple engaged in some way with GL who had set up camp there the day before.

The summary states that RH contacted the amateur radio group at 6pm, and they reported him sounding “normal”. Sometime after this conversation, a confrontation occurred between GL and RH and the couple were killed.

Forensic expert Mark Gellatly claimed in a separate statement that police informed him they believed GL was annoyed by RH’s drone and confronted the couple about it before returning to his campsite. He said crime scene investigators believe RH then grabbed a shotgun from GL’s vehicle, before a physical fight broke out between the two men and the gun discharged. It’s alleged that CC was standing near RH’s car and was fatally struck in the head, followed by a fight between the two men that ended when GL fatally stabbed RH.

“The accused is also likely to have discarded the drone, car keys for the Landcruiser and Hill and Clay’s mobile phones. To date, none of these items have been recovered.”

[If the confrontation was over the drone, was it because of its noise or because it was shot down. Regardless, it should have been found at the site. Maybe (cough) someone sold it on Gumtree]

The statement further alleges the circumstances of the couple’s deaths and GL’s behaviour afterwards suggests he “intended to cause death or at least cause each of them really serious injury”.

Crime scene investigators returned to the couple’s campsite in March 2022 where they allegedly located a piece of human skull, linked by DNA to CC, and a piece of lead near where the couple’s tent had been set up. Forensic testing to determine whether the lead was related to firearms and ammunition seized from GL’s home is ongoing.

Link

Provocation was abolished as a partial defence to murder in Victoria in 2005.

Prior to that year, provocation could be used to reduce a conviction of murder to one of manslaughter. ... However, any provocative conduct by a victim is considered in determining the appropriate sentence to impose for a crime of murder and for non-fatal assaults.

Provocation in Victoria could formerly be used as a partial defence to a murder charge if:
  • There was evidence of provocative conduct by the victim;
  • The defendant lost self-control as a result of provocation;
  • The provocation was such that an ordinary person would have lost self-control and formed an intention to cause serious bodily harm or death;
  • The defendant acted while deprived of self-control and before his or her passion had cooled.
[...]

Provocation in Victoria can now be used only as a mitigating factor when a person has been found guilty of a violent offence.

[...]

https://www.gotocourt.com.au/criminal-law/vic/provocation-in-victoria/

The police summary tendered in court the other day included:

"But police allege the circumstances of their deaths and GL's behaviour afterwards is consistent with him having intended to kill them, or at least cause really serious injury".

(All underlining is mine)

These words are almost identical to the former provocation in partial defence rules.

It seems to me that the prosecution is preparing to counter a self-defence case if needed.

@mrjitty could you please read everything in the link, not just the above, and give your opinion.

It's not just rumour. Here's a screenshot I took @ 20:14 of this video.

View attachment 396112

Oh yes sorry I expressed myself poorly - I meant that earlier on (ie. pre 60 mins episode) this was a topic of debate on WS.

(I’d actually forgotten that the 60 Mins episode confirmed this and thought it was new info this week.)

Possibly a stupid comment but 8 guns (including a couple of hand guns ie the pistol and the revolver) seems like a lot to me. People don’t go hunting with revolvers, do they?

But then again I can’t imagine even owning one gun, let alone 8, plus membership at 2 gun clubs.

Queen ringtone interrupts accused killer Greg Lynn's hearing.

Accused high country killer Greg Lynn is facing a high-stakes hearing but the tension in the courtroom was momentarily shattered by Freddie Mercury.

Behind a paywall but maybe some can read it.
I was wondering if the GL ringtone was the Queen song "I want to break free".

That would be fitting IMO.

Possibly a stupid comment but 8 guns (including a couple of hand guns ie the pistol and the revolver) seems like a lot to me. People don’t go hunting with revolvers, do they?

But then again I can’t imagine even owning one gun, let alone 8, plus membership at 2 gun clubs.

Does anyone have the breakdown of firearms GL owned?

The fact only one firearm is alleged to be present at the scene seems odd in MO.

Does anyone have the breakdown of firearms GL owned?

The fact only one firearm is alleged to be present at the scene seems odd in MO.
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

It has been reported that the accused is licenced and registered as owning 9 firearms, however only 8 have been reported as being seized by police…

Attachments

• BB5FEED1-3660-4867-B0C7-1A7694D677E9.png
    BB5FEED1-3660-4867-B0C7-1A7694D677E9.png
    440.4 KB · Views: 28

I suspect all the guns are registered and hand guns are allowed though can only be used in gun clubs to my knowledge. Police do regular and random checks to make sure what is registered and what is in your gun safe match up. The reason he's in 2 gun clubs may be so he is able to use his firearms.
...all the knives gets me...I'm sure that can't be legal.

'Possible' bloody residue was allegedly discovered among a cache of weapons seized from the home of the accused high country killer, a forensics officer has alleged.

Dozens of weapons, including knives, firearms, swords and a pickaxe, were seized from the Caroline Springs home of Gregory Lynn, 56, on November 22, 2021, police documents tendered to Melbourne court revealed.

Mr Lynn, an avid camper and hunter, is alleged to have competed and been accepted as a member at the Little River Raiders Single Action Club just days before Mr Hill and Ms Clay vanished.

The club re-enacts scenes from the Wild West.

I agree, it’s a very odd armoury for someone who is supposedly a deer hunter… it’s really only the 308 that’s suitable for hunting, and maybe the shot guns if solid slugs were used (ironically ‘buck shot’ is illegal in the high country for deer). Single action rifles and pistols are not suitable.

I’ve heard about him joining the little river raiders club, what is the second club he belonged to?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

It has been reported that the accused is licenced and registered as owning 9 firearms, however only 8 have been reported as being seized by police…
Thanks Space Captain!

MOO: there would likely to be at minimum 1 rifle & 1 shotgun present when packing for a remote hunting trip when one has such choice.

'Possible' bloody residue was allegedly discovered among a cache of weapons seized from the home of the accused high country killer, a forensics officer has alleged.

Dozens of weapons, including knives, firearms, swords and a pickaxe, were seized from the Caroline Springs home of Gregory Lynn, 56, on November 22, 2021, police documents tendered to Melbourne court revealed.

Mr Lynn, an avid camper and hunter, is alleged to have competed and been accepted as a member at the Little River Raiders Single Action Club just days before Mr Hill and Ms Clay vanished.

The club re-enacts scenes from the Wild West.

With the "possible" bloody residue statements. Is it worded like this because they don't know?, or is it that they don't need to present full details for this type of hearing? I've noticed a few things worded like this and thought they would know these things for sure given the time they've had.

Last edited:
Court documents claim Lynn had arrived at the hotel after murdering and torching the elderly couple's campsite.

Traces of singed hair was later recovered by police from the scene and analysed.

The court heard that police allege Lynn had tried to cover his bloody tracks, scrubbing the hotel room clean, but missed the bathmat in his haste.

While Mr Hill's DNA was allegedly found on the mat, none of Ms Clay's was located, documents state.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back