Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Its interesting thinking back, knowing that GL was on the radar early on, at what the police where telling the media. Its obvious now that almost everything they were telling the media was for a specific purpose!
I do remember a comment somewhere early on that the Button Man stories from Silvester and Andrew Rule seemed to come out almost simultaneously, as though synchronised

:( This didn't post properly so I'll have to try again.

Last edited:

Potentially "explosive" evidence against accused double murderer Greg Lynn could be hidden from the public after a challenge by his legal team.
But his legal team have made a bid to have key details in the prosecution case against him withheld from the public, including everything Lynn said to police after his arrest.

They argue it could pose a real and substantial risk of prejudice to the proper administration of justice.

Recordings of accused missing camper killer Gregory Lynn’s police interviews could be kept secret from the public, if his legal team get their way in court.

Lawyers representing accused high country killer Gregory Lynn have asked a court to suppress the contents of two police interviews.

The court heard the prosecution did not oppose the imposition of a suppression order.

Lawyers representing various Australian media outlets appeared before the court on Friday to object to the suppression order.

The court heard the application relates to two interviews allegedly recorded by police, on July 14, 2020, at Mr Lynn’s Caroline Springs home, and a four-day interview after his arrest in November 2021.

Magistrate Brett Sonnet will hand down his decision on the suppression order application on Monday, when prosecutors will continue to outline the evidence against Mr Lynn.

Lynn’s barrister, Dermot Dann outlined one scenario that police considered, which was that Hill had grabbed Lynn’s shotgun.

Missing Victorian camper may have been shot in gun struggle, court hears

Mark Gellatly claimed in a separate statement that crime scene investigators believe RH then grabbed a shotgun from GL’s vehicle.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...r/news-story/6cd970b2303c4e848e6a29c601a0e38f

I can understand the defence scenario that RH may have grabbed the shotgun (if it happened during a tussle). This sounds like GL's version of what happened. How convenient. It can't be refuted as RH and CC are dead.

However, I’m amazed that crime scene investigators believed he grabbed it from GL’s car. How would RH have known there was a shotgun in the car?

* If GL was carrying the gun and approached RH, as I believe he did, why was it loaded?
* If there was a tussle over it, why would GL's finger have been on the trigger?
* If RH was trying to wrest the gun from him, surely he would have grabbed either end of the gun, not the trigger.

Monday’s hearing is also expected to hear evidence from three witnesses, including the police informant in the case.
Now that's interesting that there is a 'police informant' due to give evidence on Monday. I wonder who that could possibly be? A neighbour, family?? Could this be the 'explosive' info that GL's barrister wants to have suppressed (along with the original transcripts from when he was arrested). I've got a horrible feeling this could get a whole lot worse than what we know.

Last edited:
Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
Keep your finger off the trigger; always point the muzzle in a safe direction; open the action and inspect the chamber and magazine.

Rule 2: Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
Loaded or unloaded, always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

* A safe direction will depend on where you are.
Remember that bullets can go through walls and ceilings and they can ricochet against flat or hard surfaces.

* Never point a firearm at anyone or at yourself

Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
Only load a firearm when you intend to use it and only in an area where it can be safely and legally discharged. Remember to unload it when you have used it.

* Do not load the chamber until you are ready to shoot.

* Unload completely - no rounds in the magazine or chamber - before leaving a shooting area or entering a hut or camp. Double check.

Rule 8: Never have loaded firearms in the car ... or camp

* Before entering a car, ...or camp completely unload your firearm.

* Ensure that the action is open and that there is no ammunition in either the breech or the magazine.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-02/Safety Code Booklet.pdf

If RH had seen GL walking with his gun immediately prior to the verbal argument, why would he approach him? IMO he wouldn't.

To me it appears irrelevant whether GL approached RH or CC because he clearly broke the above rules, and but for that this sad tragedy would never have happened.

Unless and until I hear evidence that proves otherwise, in my books he's guilty as charged.

RIP Russell and Carol. There are so many people who will miss you both.

GL’s gun shouldn’t have been loaded whether it was in the car or not. See Rule 8 above.

If he had a complaint about the illegal use of a drone, if that’s what it was, nothing gave him the right to try and enforce any rules. He’s so arrogant that he took the law into his own hands.

“Parks Victoria staff are given authority under state legislation to enforce park regulations. This can involve enforcing legislation by giving lawful directions (i.e. to leave a park), seizing items used in the commission of an offence, requesting that a person state their name and address, conducting investigations, issuing fines and prosecuting cases through the courts.

Parks Victoria staff are given authority under state legislation to enforce park regulations.”

Parks Victoria staff enforce park regulations

Court documents stated 'a hotel in the Wonnangatta region claimed a room was left with numerous bloodstains, all were cleaned with the exception of possible remnants on a bathmat'.

While Mr Hill's DNA was 'likely' found on the mat, none of Ms Clay's was located, documents state.

The documents stated it was equally possible Mr Hill's blood was not on the mat.

'The DNA evidence is equally likely under both propositions,' the documents stated.

Link

The law says you can’t carry, possess or use a weapon, including guns, knives, and other weapons and ‘dangerous articles’, to hurt people or to defend yourself.

You can’t carry knives, … without a lawful excuse.

A 'lawful excuse' could include having the weapon for work, sport, recreation or a weapons collection, display or exhibition. Lawful excuse does not include self-defence.

https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/guns-and-other-weapons

Now that's interesting that there is a 'police informant' due to give evidence on Monday. I wonder who that could possibly be? A neighbour, family?? Could this be the 'explosive' info that GL's barrister wants to have suppressed (along with the original transcripts from when he was arrested). I've got a horrible feeling this could get a whole lot worse than what we know.

The police informant in a court proceeding usually means the police officer who has put the case forward (charged GL).

Informant/Informants
A person from a prosecuting agency who laid a charge for an alleged offence and who may give evidence in court.

The police informant in a court proceeding usually means the police officer who has put the case forward (charged GL).

Informant/Informants
A person from a prosecuting agency who laid a charge for an alleged offence and who may give evidence in court.

Ah ha ... thanks for the correction in interpretation SouthAussie.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nunyabiznazz
Back