Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

Ancora, if I understand you, your point is that the hair which indicated Carl Webb might have have belonged to somebody other than Somerton Man. One of the reasons you say this is because the mask was made of plaster and (building) plaster contains or did contain fibrous matter such as hair. Are you trying to make any other points with the diary? Do you think it backs up what you seem to be saying about there having been more than one cadaver used, for example?

Reactions: DRT
Ancora, if I understand you, your point is that the hair which indicated Carl Webb might have have belonged to somebody other than Somerton Man. One of the reasons you say this is because the mask was made of plaster and (building) plaster contains or did contain fibrous matter such as hair. Are you trying to make any other points with the diary? Do you think it backs up what you seem to be saying about there having been more than one cadaver used, for example?
<modsnip - referring to deleted post>
The use of human hair was specifically in the creation of plaster molds as a reinforcing agent. There are many ads on Trove where Hair is advertised for sale in the relevant years. I could have added more but as mentioned in one of my comments, I have submitted a statement to SAPOL at their request with evidence and information that I can't really share here, <modsnip - commenting on moderation>

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to make a point so much, just providing a document for others to read, Paul Lawson's diary which includes the words ' disposal of the original body'.
The use of human hair was specifically in the creation of plaster molds as a reinforcing agent. There are many ads on Trove where Hair is advertised for sale in the relevant years. I could have added more but as mentioned in one of my comments, I have submitted a statement to SAPOL at their request with evidence and information that I can't really share here, not that it's a problem my comment's been deleted anyway.
Somerton Man's body was the original, and then there was the dental wax mold and then the plaster bust copy.

I think it's entirely possible that attached to the bust was hair that did not belong to Somerton Man. The bust wasn't designed to be suitable for the use to which it's been put.

Obviously we don't know what Paul Lawson said to you, but the diaries don't suggest to me that Somerton Man's identity comprised two bodies.

Reactions: DRT
Still learning the ropes here but here are documents that show an Able Seaman Carl Webb on board a ship that at the time was known as the Golden Sun (image attached). The year was 1934 and the date was November 19th and as per the document, it was arriving at the Port of San Francisco. There is a record of this ship arriving in Melbourne in 1937, attached article. You will see that this Able Seaman Carl Webb was of very similar age to Carl 'Charles' Webb. His height is shown as 5 feet 8 inches which is the same height as Roy Webb, brother of Carl 'Charles' Webb. There is no height given for Carl 'Charles' Webb. Photo attached of Roy Webb. Also attached is a British Passport similar to those issued to Australians at the time, it shows a Commonwealth of Australia marking. To this time US records have been unable to trace this Able Seaman Carl Webb.

Additional information has been added to this comment it relates to the issue of DNA, how it can be used to predict eye colour, height and gender and the various chemicals used in the process of embalming that damage DNA.

I am not aware of any such information being made available from the DNA Analysis on the hair taken from the plaster bust.

DNA can be used to provide information on eye colour, hair colour and age, see link information here:
https://karger.com/ger/article/64/4/326/147583/Age-Estimation-with-DNA-From-Forensic-DNA

DNA can be used to determine gender
Gender determination of forensic samples using PCR amplification of ZFX/ZFY gene sequences - PubMed

DNA can predict height :
Predicting human body height from DNA.

Embalming Fluids contain formaldehyde
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/embalming#:~:text=Embalming%20is%20a%20process%20of%20chemically%20preserving%20tissues%20with%20chemical,%2C%20coloring%20agents%2C%20and%20water.

Formaldehyde damages DNA:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0005278768902694

RoyWebb1_HeightComparison1.jpgGoldenSun1934.jpgAncestry_CarlWebb1934USA.pngGoldenSun_Melb_1937.png

LesHarley_1936.jpg1938GoldenSun_mokihana_sunk1942.jpg

Attachments

• 1938GoldenSun_mokihana_sunk1942.jpg
    1938GoldenSun_mokihana_sunk1942.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics